Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cavelcade posted:

I think I should make clear that I don't think Bucky, as a character, is necessary in the franchise anymore. I don't want him or any super-psychologist showing up again, unless he's meeting Cap for coffee and talking about how he's having trouble coming to terms with all the innocent people he killed and it's loving him up.

I am hoping Bucky becomes the next Captain America to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

The vibe I get from the Beevis thread is that supporters of that film have to deal with so many trolls and low-content posters proclaiming the film to be utter dogshit that some of them immediately go into "this is why op is dumb" mode when a new criticism is levied.

Not to imply everyone is that way in the thread, my posts were more on the anti side and I still feel like I got a lot of good discussion out of it.

It culminated in really bizarre patronizing jive about how I secretly loved and wanted to protect Lex Luthor and I seriously never wanna set foot in that thread ever again.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It culminated in really bizarre patronizing jive about how I secretly loved and wanted to protect Lex Luthor and I seriously never wanna set foot in that thread ever again.

Oh, is that what made you get out of there? That sucks man, that guy was an rear end in a top hat and I enjoyed your posts. I felt like you were kind of getting dogpiled unfairly. The movie didn't resonate with you and that's okay.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Some of the pro- posts seemed pretty absurd or even offensive; I assume they went in expecting Comic Thread discourse. In spite of that the thread was pretty decent for civil arguments.

There weren't many people going "nope, poo poo sucks", just a few people who would go in, share their negative experience, and leave.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I said come in! posted:

Nah. Give Peter Parker the shield. :black101:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Coffee And Pie posted:

I love JK Simmons, but I really want to see Michael Keaton in the MCU and this might be the best spot for him.

Edit: Or John Goodman.

As much as I liked that scene (and seriously I think everyone in the theater went "oof") it was done way better in Amazing Spider-Man 2 with Gwen's death, that head-on-concrete sound still haunts me.

Yeah, for all its' faults that scene had the...er...impact...it deserved. The entire theater was cracking jokes at how bad Electro looked at times, but when Gwen actually hit the ground? Everyone went quiet.

Shame about the rest.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Nah. Give Peter Parker the shield. :black101:

Speaking of, Avengers 3 needs to let Spider-Man try to lift Thors hammer with his spider webs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of, Avengers 3 needs to let Spider-Man try to lift Thors hammer with his spider webs.

Only if he's unable to do it but then someone tells him Aunt May is in trouble, and he lifts it up with a chunk of the floor. Then he finds out it was just Tony talking about how looking that good should be illegal or something equally cheesy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cavelcade posted:

I don't really know what question Civil War was asking. It seemed to be about whether superhumans (including techno superhumans) should have oversight beyond themselves and a requirement to respect borders. That's not a very interesting question because the answer is yes, America shouldn't just police the world without at least having to explain themselves. Without knowing more about the accords, it's hard to see what question is being asked.

They aren't America. America doesn't matter anymore. You *never* mattered, but now even the institutions built in your name don't matter. Each one of the Avengers is, geopolitically, a super-power. They have total reach and authority to do whatever they want. Human civilization is over. The myth that you matter is over. The world belongs to them now. If Thor decided to wipe out the Earth, the end. Tony nearly did wipe out the Earth, and he walked away from it. The entire point of this movie is that Tony built a world threatening robot that killed a man's family and then the Avengers just went home. And when the world proposed the Accords, nobody in the Avengers seriously followed them. Tony hosed off to deal with Cap and Bucky on his own, and when he was told about the break out in progress he just put Ross on hold. They have no oversight, because they choose not to accept oversight and nobody can force them to have it.

e: Why should post-political entities pretend political discussion matters?

Mulva fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 9, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Some of the pro- posts seemed pretty absurd or even offensive; I assume they went in expecting Comic Thread discourse. In spite of that the thread was pretty decent for civil arguments.

There weren't many people going "nope, poo poo sucks", just a few people who would go in, share their negative experience, and leave.

There were plenty of drive by shitposts in the BvS thread.

I said come in! posted:

That would be cool.

Did anyone find the airport fight a bit inappropriate? I like the spectacle, Giant Man, Spiderman, etc., but it felt odd to me that the fight would be so jokey. I get they're pulling punches and don't want to ruin friendships, however, they absolutely wreck that tarmac. Giantman rips a wing off plane, the terminal gets wrecked, small planes are exploded, etc. all against the back drop of them fighting over "accountability" for collateral damage. If they're at the point of actually engaging in combat why do it jest? Especially when the scale of your horsing around can amount to city infrastructure getting destroyed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Did anyone find the airport fight a bit inappropriate? I like the spectacle, Giant Man, Spiderman, etc., but it felt odd to me that the fight would be so jokey. I get they're pulling punches and don't want to ruin friendships, however, they absolutely wreck that tarmac. Giantman rips a wing off plane, the terminal gets wrecked, small planes are exploded, etc. all against the back drop of them fighting over "accountability" for collateral damage. If they're at the point of actually engaging in combat why do it jest? Especially when the scale of your horsing around can amount to city infrastructure getting destroyed.

Exactly, that fight sequence was really cool and funny but boy did it not do any favors to the story. In the end Tony Stark could have just let Steve Rogers go and nothing would have changed about the plot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was touch football to the point where they established an "end zone".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was touch football to the point where they established an "end zone".

Please explain because I must have missed a line if your referencing dialogue.

Antman asking for orange slices after it was over reminded me of playing youth hockey.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually liked the fact that Ant Man was still a wisecracking doofus, and everyone acted like they were still a character in their own respective "movie". Just because he's not in Ant-Man anymore doesn't mean Scott is suddenly gonna realize he's in a different kind of action movie and serious up. You bring all these different kinds of characters together, you have to manage differing tone shifts like that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Please explain because I must have missed a line if your referencing dialogue.

Antman asking for orange slices after it was over reminded me of playing youth hockey.

I think he was referring to the airplane that Steve and Bucky need to get to in order to fly away. That was the end zone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Midway through, they point to a hangar and basically say "it's game over if you reach the Quinjet."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I actually liked the fact that Ant Man was still a wisecracking doofus, and everyone acted like they were still a character in their own respective "movie". Just because he's not in Ant-Man anymore doesn't mean Scott is suddenly gonna realize he's in a different kind of action movie and serious up. You bring all these different kinds of characters together, you have to manage differing tone shifts like that.

The problem with that though is all of them do it. It's not just Antman. None of them are taking it that seriously for a major chunk of the fight.

I said come in! posted:

I think he was referring to the airplane that Steve and Bucky need to get to in order to fly away. That was the end zone.

Midway through, they point to a hangar and basically say "it's game over if you reach the Quinjet."

Oh yeah, what you meant should have been more obvious to me. :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, Antman is really interesting because he almost kills people a couple times totally by accident.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think the beauty of the Marvel movies is that they're pretty tonally consistent. Sure, each movie has its own flavor of genre, but for the most part even when you have a world-ending threat the tension is always broken with a well-placed one-liner. Yeah, everyone is trying to save the world but you get the sense they are kinda having fun doing it. They set that tone up in Iron Man and have been doing it pretty consistently ever since.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Well, Antman is really interesting because he almost kills people a couple times totally by accident.

You can take Antman out the hood but you can't take the hood outta Antman.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The movie did make me want 2 see Ant-Man...but I mean rly I just like Paul Rudd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ant-Man was great. Just happy to be included and able to contribute after he was poo poo all over in his own movie.

wyoak posted:

The only visually distinctive thing I remember were the place name overlays

In the final fight there's a quick shot of Iron Man and Cap wrestling over his shield from the side, with light sparking off, that I really liked. Only shot in the movie that stuck with me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

The problem with that though is all of them do it. It's not just Antman. None of them are taking it that seriously for a major chunk of the fight.

I don't think it needs to be a fight where 100 %, no smiles, no wisecracks happen. The movie gets more serious later and Tony still calls Bucky "Manchurian Candidate" later. And... I dunno. I realize this is about mitigating collateral damage, but they also said nothing about ceasing it all together.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

The movie did make me want 2 see Ant-Man...but I mean rly I just like Paul Rudd

He's got timing, he stands out as actually funny.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

He's got timing, he stands out as actually funny.

Yeah, he makes line funnier, rather than just being given funny lines.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wonder with the Avengers disbanded if we might get a Dark Avengers as a Govt. sanctioned team one of the movies may deal with. They got Norman Osborn now!

Spidey should go with Sin Six.

Ant Man 2: Dark Avengers

Pepper gets Ant Man to lead Wasp, Spider-man, Hawkeye, Falcon and Vision to take on some kind of uber team of Carnage, Bullseye, Dormammu, Abomination, Loki.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 10, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Apparently they had Paul Rudd do a lot of rewrites for his scenes. His role was a bit more serious originally but when one of the Russo's greeted him for his first day on set, and saw how star-struck he was at having just met Chris Evans, RDJ, and Scar-jo, he dragged Rudd back to their trailer and incorporate that vibe into the character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Isn't Infinity War supposed to be about a new "untested" team of Avengers? I could see them making said team a mix of new characters, sponsored by the UN, and established ones like Vision and Iron Man.

They could also introduce Jack Monroe as the new "Cap".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I always thought Infinity War 1 would lead to the original Avengers being defeated until the next phase of heroes team won to sell them for the sequel. Like Black Panther, Carol, Strange succeed where Thor, Tony, Cap fail.

It's going to end with Star Lord dancing off against Thanos with Ant Man and Spidey anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't seen any leaks on Infinity War. All I know of that has been officially talked about is that Thanos is the villain and there will be 68 super heroes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I said come in! posted:

I haven't seen any leaks on Infinity War. All I know of that has been officially talked about is that Thanos is the villain and there will be 68 super heroes.

One of the Marvel executives said each Infinity War movie would focus on a distinctly different cast of heroes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

That's significantly less than infinity...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cythereal posted:

One of the Marvel executives said each Infinity War movie would focus on a distinctly different cast of heroes.

Okay that is news to me. I like that though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

MacheteZombie posted:

That's because, deep down? They're all having the time of their lives. Some of them (like T'Challa) may deny it but, really, the airport scene is the most fun they've had in weeks. This is what these creatures were made for: action, not talk. Violence, not diplomacy. It's why Tony can't give up his suits, why Steve couldn't find a home to return to after the war, why Clint blows off playing with his children to beat up robots. Fighting is what they do best and when they feel the most alive, like the best version of themselves. It's what makes them so good at their jobs and also so scary to people.

It also doesn't help (alternatively, it helps a lot) that the Avengers are the equivalent of that group of roommates who respect each other more than they actually like each other and, let's be honest, probably have a lot of simmering resentment boiling below the surface that never gets resolved on a day to day basis. Not even over major catastrophic issues but also over stuff like, "Why's Bob gotta be friends with that douchebag Albert?" "How come no one ever tells Susan to turn down her Pandora stream at night?" "Who the gently caress keeps leaving the coffee pot in the sink??" (that last one is literally from the film) These film have done a great job of setting up the fact that these characters probably wanna punch each other "in their perfect teeth" a lot of the time, and now they're really getting the chance to do so.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh yeah, what you meant should have been more obvious to me. :smith:

As I was watching, I got the feeling that they were all doing that because most of them didn't *want* to be there attempting to arrest their friends. There's a point in the fight where War Machine looks at Stark and mentions how they didn't expect it to get this serious; post Ant-Man hurling a gasoline tanker at them. I think the entire fight was a bunch of friends in a squabble they didn't want to participate in and it was only really an "out for blood" or "blind vengeance" scenario for people like Stark and Black Panther. Everyone else was having fun with their abilities and probably loving the idea of being able to fight without worry of a super villain. There was no real "risk" in their eyes beyond some injury and having to smack their buddies around. The wise cracking bits felt natural. Most superheros make silly quips during their fights, no reason it would be any different if they were fighting friends. The weight of the situation didn't seem to fully dawn on everyone until they realized only Bucky and Cap could make it to the jet. Then it turned into this atmosphere of "Oh poo poo, we're all going to either die or get thrown into prison. Or both."

GeekyManatee fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 10, 2016

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can only sincerely apologise for that Razor, That post wasn't a jive at you or to be condescending. It was trying to be foolish and figurative-metaphorical in approach, the clumsiness of the post is my fault, but that's no excuse and again I am sorry for that.

The message was more aimed outward to everyone, well attempted at least. An important message of BvS for me being, we all should love Lex Luthor (in a radical sense). I made a silly reference to the Flash, because that's kinda how I saw your approach, metaphorically speaking at least. Please don't feel alienated from that thread because of my dumbass. Also apologies for the slight derail.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

brawleh posted:

I can only sincerely apologise for that Razor, That post wasn't a jive at you or to be condescending. It was trying to be foolish and figurative-metaphorical in approach, the clumsiness of the post is my fault, but that's no excuse and again I am sorry for that.

The message was more aimed outward to everyone, well attempted at least. An important message of BvS for me being, we all should love Lex Luthor (in a radical sense). I made a silly reference to the Flash, because that's kinda how I saw your approach, metaphorically speaking at least. Please don't feel alienated from that thread because of my dumbass. Also apologies for the slight derail.

Like I said, it was a culmination. And I don't like being told how I supposedly feel or am supposed to feel about something that reflects badly upon something I care deeply about.

It wasn't just you, it was just a particularly unpleasant period on a particularly unpleasant conversation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GeekyManatee posted:

As I was watching, I got the feeling that they were all doing that because most of them didn't *want* to be there attempting to arrest their friends. There's a point in the fight where War Machine looks at Stark and mentions how they didn't expect it to get this serious; post Ant-Man hurling a gasoline tanker at them. I think the entire fight was a bunch of friends in a squabble they didn't want to participate in and it was only really an "out for blood" or "blind vengeance" scenario for people like Stark and Black Panther. Everyone else was having fun with their abilities and probably loving the idea of being able to fight without worry of a super villain. There was no real "risk" in their eyes beyond some injury and having to smack their buddies around. The wise cracking bits felt natural. Most superheros make silly quips during their fights, no reason it would be any different if they were fighting friends. The weight of the situation didn't seem to fully dawn on everyone until they realized only Bucky and Cap could make it to the jet. Then it turned into this atmosphere of "Oh poo poo, we're all going to either die or get thrown into prison. Or both."

Honestly, I would love like a 30 min short tacked onto a movie or DVD something of just the Avengers having a party or a picnic or something. Like Claremont used to do with the Xmen after a tense arc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't understand why people are so upset about the Bucky/Punishment thing. If we take it on faith that the setting doesn't have anything to take out his Hydra Stuff immediately, he either has to be frozen until such time as he can be.

If he's normal enough without someone spouting the code words at him, he's normal enough to not be walking around. Dude killed a bunch of people. He remembers doing it. Let the system wrap its collective heads around his brainwashing, and decide what to do comprehensively. Find him guilty, find him innocent due to brainwashing, freeze him until such time he can have the Hydra Stuff purged and then try him, whatever.

Outside of the one guy who is BFFs with him, there's no bad outcome for someone who has done what Bucky did. Oh noes, a dude who mass murdered folks on behalf of Really Bad Guys dies.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Honestly, I would love like a 30 min short tacked onto a movie or DVD something of just the Avengers having a party or a picnic or something. Like Claremont used to do with the Xmen after a tense arc.

Or playing poker,like that one episode of Batman:TAS. "Almost Got'im", I think it was called.

• Locked thread