Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Changing my 2D to 2C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Current Standings

A-8
B-10
C- 0
D- 7

A- 4
B- 9
C- 10
D- 3

So at present we're heading to Chromesport and Watch!ing thus far.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
1. C
2. B

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

cat_herder posted:

BACK UP, THERE'S MEDICAL MANGA?

goodbye money

Oh yeah like that dude said there's a ton from gags to Hokuto no Ken to super super sad and serious. And that's not even counting doujinshi which incidentally we should totally try to create as an alternative to manga. Or possibly some sort of horrifying cross species doujin market.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Puppies are dicks posted:

Oh yeah like that dude said there's a ton from gags to Hokuto no Ken to super super sad and serious. And that's not even counting doujinshi which incidentally we should totally try to create as an alternative to manga. Or possibly some sort of horrifying cross species doujin market.

I found something called Team Medical Dragon referenced, and someone licensed it and made an anime out of it, but it hasn't been published in English. Which sucks because that one looks cool af.

I'll keep looking around though, thank you! <3

edit: oh poo poo we're voting

1A
2B

let's pay obesiance to the ancient goddess of the Verre.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Jin is also a pretty cool one :v:, it's about a brain surgeon that gets time-traveled back to feudal Japan and sets up a medical practice there.

Dog kisser! Do you see what you've done? You allowed the anime in and now it won't ever leave! :gonk:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Jin is also a pretty cool one :v:, it's about a brain surgeon that gets time-traveled back to feudal Japan and sets up a medical practice there.

Dog kisser! Do you see what you've done? You allowed the anime in and now it won't ever leave! :gonk:

ooooooh it's not licensed yet either, thank you! it sounds so cool!

speak for yourself, with your cute av.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
We all know this is because I haven't posted an update and you've all gone mad.

Sorry, not today! Stay sane!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

cat_herder posted:

speak for yourself, with your cute av.

I never asked for this :qq:. It was inflicted on me! :v:

Someone, probably multiple people, in ADTRW has spent like $800 on changing people's avatars to the same character!

dog kisser posted:

We all know this is because I haven't posted an update and you've all gone mad.

Sorry, not today! Stay sane!

I'm sure we'll manage somehow! :f5:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Stellaris...

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
You fools, do you know what we've done just because we want to see Chromeport in her glory?

Don't you realize that glass will shatter if subjected to the right vibrations?

If Shi draws any unwanted attention from, say, a mourning Hydromancer or SilverSongsmith, she and her party will be done for!!! :ohdear::ninja::black101:

(I await an update with bated breath!~)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Sorry guys, I'm totally distracted with Stellaris! Work is piling up, too - I'm going to have to put this on hiatus for now. No earlier than 4 weeks, sorry!

no lol here it is

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

One day, walking through a plane field of Milkweed, they told me to drop to the ground. I grimaced - again!? - but did as I was told. Well, almost. I peeked this time, lifting the cloak a little bit to get an eyeful of whatever they were keeping from me.

With a final flap of their wings, they struck the earth heavily, shaking me where I lay. They did not appear to be aggressive, but they walked like they owned the land they trod upon. My friends were acting unusually - smiles and politeness, but ears flat. Tails lashing unconsciously, shearing through the Milkweed stalks. The small one spoke:

“Salutations, my Verre brothers and sisters. We continue our hunt, and we thought from above that we spied a shade of hated crimson. Have any of you seen a Fortugnat wandering these lands, perchance? “
My hearts stopped. I dared not gasp, but I wailed inwardly. My People! Hunted by these beasts these past years while I hid. My shame crushed me to the floor.

Crackle spoke, his aged voice firm.
“No, sir Palaitin. Once again, there is no one here but the Verre. We have no quarrel with the unfortunate Fortugnat, but neither would we risk the wrath of the mighty Laitache.”
“Nor must you, friend Verre. Do not mistake my vigilance for a threat!”

A frosty Milk laugh.
“On the other hand… I would be very disappointed to find I had been misled! Farewell - until the next time! “
With a blast of displaced air, they took off, winging away into the open sky. I held the cloak tight against the gale, chilled to my core.

When the others came and uncovered me, one look told them that I knew.

-O-
Later, in a safer place, we camped for the night on our way to Chromeport. I kept a fair distance from the others, looking at the stars. Down below, we had told stories about them, the great glowing pips set into the tallest cavern. I turned away. What had happened to my comrades? I hadn't seen any other Fortugnat in ages, and even those strays hadn't been anyone I recognized.
“They're Gods, you know.”
I started, wheeled around. Crackle was old, but I could never hear him coming just the same.
“The stars, I mean. An old friend told me - he looked upon their naked power, and I think it drove him a trifle mad - but he was still a good man.”
I smiled softly, but didn't look at him.
“Listen, Shi. We didn't want you to be concerned, but I see now our secrecy was misjudged - call it a vagary of our nature as Verre. Here is the truth - the Laitache, the Milk People, have sworn a vendetta against the Fortugnat for the murder of their God. They hunt them like beasts, and take them to ParaDice… or slay them where they stand. It is hard, but it is the truth.”

I curled around myself , feeling numb. He lightly patted my head and turned to leave. A few steps away, he stopped.
“I meant what I told him earlier, you know. You are Verre in spirit if not flesh, and you are welcome among us forever, if you wish”
  • 1A Sadness!
    I lament the loss of my friends and family, my People, alone. I do not blame the Verre for keeping this from me... but it hurts me, just the same. I will close off my heart from the Verre, somewhat - a broken trust is slow to mend.
  • 1B Bittersweet!
    I have lost my People - or near enough - but I have found another. I will take life where I can get it, and live the best I can! I will help my People if I can, but the Verre are my family, now, and their safety comes first.
  • 1C Resolve!
    I will live among the Verre for now, but my People face the lash once again. I alone am in a position to do something - and I still bear the power of my Goddess, foolish and flighty though she was. I will take my revenge where I can!

-O-
The next afternoon, we arrived at Chromeport. Nevermind the stars, just LOOK at this place! I had never seen some place so bright and beautiful, so full of motion, so LOUD!

I did attract some strange looks walking in, but any trepidation I felt vanished as Murano grabbed me by the arm and yanked me towards the market. I’d done some trading in my travels with the Verre - Glass-Shaping comes in handy in that regard - but this was far beyond anything I’d ever imagined. I couldn’t even describe half of what was being sold. Murano dragged me over to a stall selling some sort of Marblemoss salad with Aqueau Cheese and Orchidice glaze and made me try some. Indescribable. Certainly better than our trail rations! Murano wandered off, meeting up with some long-lost friends, and I smiled after her. Though I felt uncomfortable alone, there were no Laitache about, and everyone was treating me with relative politeness. I jingled a pouch of Glass beads I had made - some of my best work. I could trade it somewhere here, probably. I'd just have to experiment and see how it went!

• 2A Something Sharp!
    My 'encounter' with the Palaitin earlier made me feel a little powerless. Chromeport abounded with an absolutely astounding variety of weapons and armor for some bizarre reason - surely one of them would serve. It would certainly make me feel better in a fight, anyhow.
  • 2B Something Tasty!
    That food was completely ace. I have to wander the food stands and see what else seems interesting. Maybe Murano would like a bite? She's always hungry, that girl!
  • 2C Something Pretty!
    All sorts of indescribable art was hanging, propped up or stacked on stands all over the market. A quick glance revealed, yes, even Manga! Whether captured as spoils of war or purpose-drawn for the market, I couldn't tell. Regardless, the Verre like pretty things - Murano likes pretty things - and I might find something perfect!
  • 2D Something Else!
    I just can't decide! I'll wander down the aisles until I find something cool! [Like What?]

One factor eluded me. Some of the People buying (or selling) had glowing sigils floating above their heads. No one commented on it, and they passed through objects and People without affecting them, like fog. Even as I watched a conversation unfold between a sigil bearer and another, the sigil vanished, popping out of existence into a swarm of glowing motes and flooding into the non-sigil bearer. Both seemed pleased by the transaction, but I could not determine what was happening.

Distracted, I walked full on into one of the stands, winding myself on the Silver counter. Sheepishly, I glanced up at the shopkeeper - and his golden sigil - and apologized, but he seized me by the arm and said:

“So, you’re here for a Quest, eh? Never passed one out to one of the Dice Folk, but no one else is willing to help me! I’m desperate here, lady - what do ya say?”
  • 3A Easy!
    I stammer an affirmation, and he hands me a bundle of cloth and an address. A delivery, I guess? Quest accepted?
  • 3B Medium!
    I nod kindly, and he writes me a map - it sends me someplace called the Crystal Spires, way up top of Chromeport. He tells me to watch out for the Water, and I shudder. I felt something like a light flick on inside me - Quest accepted!
  • 3C Hard!
    I slam my fist down on his counter with false bravado and tell him that I could do whatever he wanted! He paused for a second, then drew me a map to a place just west of Chromeport. One of his deliveries didn't make it to the city, and he needed someone to check it out. He looked at me doubtfully, and warned me it was dangerous. I assured him I was the Fortugnat for the job, and he gave me the Quest. I hope this wasn't a bad idea!
  • 3D No Thank You!
    I back away, trying to defuse the situation with a smile. He frowns at me, then turns away, grumbling.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

CAC

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
CCB

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

C
A
B

Warrior Priestess!
Even though it's probably a bad idea!

edit: Goddamn, it is so fun to watch all these little threads start to get woven into a big story. The past is now firm enough to support the future.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 11, 2016

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

B
B
D

Fortugnats have had enough bad times! Relax and enjoy some good times!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

B C A We are a new adventurer and must take things slow.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

B C A pretty things! a new family! and someone trusting us with a quest! let's just make sure we don't end up like the last Fortugnat to go on a quest did :ohdear:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
C Do not go gently into that good night Fortugnat! We won't let this people die from this world!
C We are an artist, let us find inspiration to create!
B A journey will help us learn more and give us more ideas.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Revenge manga is the best manga. Write something so sharp and scathing that it cuts satirically at the hypocritical underpinnings of the entire Dairycratic and really hurts their feelings. Or maybe literally cut them to death idc

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

CCB, but not just anything pretty. Weren't you just complaining about the poor quality dicestone you had to work with, Shi? Get some fine art supplies! And then it'll be just like old times, sending cryptic messages to who knows where, hoping that somebody sympathetic finds and and comprehends them. Wow, what fun! ^u^

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
B C B

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
B C B

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

BCA

You had me going there for a minute, dogkisser!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
B BitterSweet
C Cultural
B Blessings

charms
Oct 14, 2012

ABC

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
BCB

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
BBB

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
ACC

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
CAC

You're a warrior-poet now, Shi.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1B There is no profit in perpetuating revenge.
2C Beauty is worth any price.
3B No false bravado, no simple cakewalk.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
BBB

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Got my god/wisp idea, but I guess I should wait for the next god-cycle to post it?

B
C
B

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
BBB

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Got my god/wisp idea, but I guess I should wait for the next god-cycle to post it?

Yeah, but that should be pretty soon - later this week, most likely. I think we'll wrap Shi's story up next post - or at least set her up with a story hook for the God section!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

B A B

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
CCA

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

BCB