Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

the only reason i feel like chrollo cant die here is because of how heavily he's tied into kurapika's unresolved arc. but hisoka's so so so much more interesting to watch than him so i want hisoka to win

Kurapika's arc, re the spiders, was actually resolved.

He learned he cares less about the spiders than he cares about his friends and the remains of his people the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kurapika might be done with the spiders, but they are not done with him.

Except they are because the manga will never get that far. The boat has more than enough stuff going on without tossing them into the mix, which means they are not in this arc, which means they are gone for good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I seriously doubt the spiders will ever go after him. Now, if they end up in the same place as him? Yeah, some of them might take a shot at him, but loving with the dude is basically as good as suicide for them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

I seriously doubt the spiders will ever go after him. Now, if they end up in the same place as him? Yeah, some of them might take a shot at him, but loving with the dude is basically as good as suicide for them.

They don't have to kill him personally, and he is unable to fight them all at once. Kurapika was only really dangerous when they didn't know how his power works. What's more, they know that taking his friends hostage is very effective.

If a couple of them coincidentally ran into him they would probably run like hell, though. Pretty much the scene from the last day of the auction but with the roles reversed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NecroMonster posted:

If there is more then one of them not really. They know some details about him thanks to Paku as well. One on One he can beat any of them. But more then that and Kurapika is kind of doomed.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Even in a group, the spiders would take very real casualties fighting him, sure they would win, but if say five spiders attack him at the same time which of them wants to be the two to three spiders killed? And I really doubt, if they want revenge on him that badly, they would be willing to resort to intermediaries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Even in a group, the spiders would take very real casualties fighting him, sure they would win, but if say five spiders attack him at the same time which of them wants to be the two to three spiders killed? And I really doubt, if they want revenge on him that badly, they would be willing to resort to intermediaries.

I think you are underestimating their resolve. The spider is made up of ruthless, vicious murderers who selfless when it comes to the survival of the group.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't want the rest of the Spiders to show up this arc because I'm kinda sick of them by this point. They've been overexposed.

That said, fantastic chapter. It was great seeing Hisoka get clowned for once, and it's gonna be great to see him doing some clowning in the near future.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NecroMonster posted:

Nah I don't see that. There is no way Kurapika could even kill one of them if he was fighting two at the same time. They know what he can do as well.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It depends on the limit of chain jail. If he can fight while another is in a chain jail he should be fine especially with his stupid red eye powerup.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think you are underestimating their resolve. The spider is made up of ruthless, vicious murderers who selfless when it comes to the survival of the group.

Yeah, the founding members are from a place where a bunch of residents suicide bombed every single person who had led to the unjust death of one of their own.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Spiders will most likely try to take out Kurapika at some point in the future, they're just waiting for the right opportunity.

Likewise, I don't think Kurapika's forgotten his anger. He's just reordered his priorities.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Anyone notice Hisoka's knee bent the wrong way and his leg extra long when he went up on the ceiling? Reminded me of those aliens from that Charlie Sheen film and also that scene in Naked Gun with the really long limbs.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't want the rest of the Spiders to show up this arc because I'm kinda sick of them by this point. They've been overexposed.

That said, fantastic chapter. It was great seeing Hisoka get clowned for once, and it's gonna be great to see him doing some clowning in the near future.

How are the non-Chrollo Spiders overexposed? Franklin hasn't really done anything yet. Phinx and Bonolenov got one short fight apiece and that was it. Feitan showed off more when fighting, but still never did anything outside of one fight. Kortopi has a plot-important power, but he's gotten no actual focus as a character. Machi healed Hisoka, talked about her intuitions, and that was it. Nobunaga did nothing aside from getting humiliated by Gon and Killua. Kalluto, Shizuku, and Shalnark actually did some things, but I still wouldn't call them overexposed (Kalluto in particular still feels underexplored). Pakunoda and Uvogin did get a lot of focus, but they're already dead.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Personally, I'd be kinda disappointed if Hisoka doesn't lose to one of the main characters and gets killed by this comparatively random guy instead. But then again I'm also a big fan of Togashi's ridiculous anticlimaxes, so vOv

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah I don't see that. There is no way Kurapika could even kill one of them if he was fighting two at the same time. They know what he can do as well.

Don't forget that his powers are basically designed for one on one and group fights don't work well for him at all because of how his chain works. That was the entire reason why Kurapika drew out Uvogin alone because he knew that and why he didn't try and fight the spiders when they captured Gon and Killua, even though they were in a small group.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, the founding members are from a place where a bunch of residents suicide bombed every single person who had led to the unjust death of one of their own.

well they were possibly forced to

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They really have no reason to appear on the boat or on the dark continent expedition. The princes don't seem to have anything valuable enough for the troupe to come out in force, and for the expedition it would be vastly easier to rob it after it returns. Like sure, maybe one or two of them might be inclined to show up due to their personal interests, but in that case they would be easy prey for Kurapika.

Basically as long as the focus is on Kurapika, individual spiders aren't gonna show up because he would easily kill them, and the full group appearing would easily hijack the story. Also, the prince stuff is so interesting that I absolutely refuse to believe that Togashi would ditch it for yorknew 2 (electric boogaloo).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

How are the non-Chrollo Spiders overexposed? Franklin hasn't really done anything yet. Phinx and Bonolenov got one short fight apiece and that was it. Feitan showed off more when fighting, but still never did anything outside of one fight. Kortopi has a plot-important power, but he's gotten no actual focus as a character. Machi healed Hisoka, talked about her intuitions, and that was it. Nobunaga did nothing aside from getting humiliated by Gon and Killua. Kalluto, Shizuku, and Shalnark actually did some things, but I still wouldn't call them overexposed (Kalluto in particular still feels underexplored). Pakunoda and Uvogin did get a lot of focus, but they're already dead.
The Spiders as a unit being overexposed isn't the same thing as the Spiders being overexposed as individuals, though perhaps I should've said Togashi's running the risk of overexposing them.

The Spiders were first name-dropped and hinted at during the Hunter Exam, introduced in a peripheral manner during Heaven's Arena, the focal point of Yorknew City, the B plot of Greed Island, and even got their own little side story thing during the Chimera Ant arc. Feels like those dudes are everywhere, like they're the only evil organization that matters, and it makes the world of Hunter x Hunter as a whole feel a lot smaller. When people talk about the possibility of the Spiders taking jobs as bodyguards or assassins for the princes, I can't help but think "Ah yes, those guys again." It all comes back to the Spiders, or somehow relates with the Spiders. I like them, but I don't feel like they have to have their fingers in every single pie this series is gonna throw our way.

One of the things I already really like about the Dark Continent arc is how much of a departure from the norm it is. Gon and Killua are out of the picture; Gon and Killua, the main main characters! The Zodiacs, Beyond's expeditionary force, and the royal family of Kakin are all by-and-large completely new characters who've been granted the spotlight. Gon's dad is doing things! Leorio is doing things! The Dark Continent itself is a fantastical horror show beyond human belief! I wanna see how Togashi handles these elements without relying on too many of the series' old standbys.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

well they were possibly forced to

I choose to believe they went willingly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Still think it's funny that the Spiders are fanatically loyal to a dude who is literally unable to give any shits about them

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Bad Seafood posted:

The Spiders will most likely try to take out Kurapika at some point in the future, they're just waiting for the right opportunity.

Likewise, I don't think Kurapika's forgotten his anger. He's just reordered his priorities.

Revenge would cost both pika and the spiders too much. If chrollo really wants to gear the spider towards ending kurapika It would mean risk for no real gain. They don't even have the eyes any, kurapika seems busy and the nen is gone. Thats also why chrollo Will Die

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

I think there was a line at some moment implying they were waiting for Chrollo to return back before making a move against Kurapica. As a minimum, I don't think the samurai guy (god I don't remember the name now) has forgotten Uvo's death. He wanted revenge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They told Gon that they were gonna stay away from Kurapika because his nen would likely become stronger after his death. That is a very good reason to defer dealing with him, so they really had no reason to lie about it. Unfortunately for them, Kurapika is essentially incommunicado for the next two arcs and Chrollo got his nen back too late.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Eej posted:

Still think it's funny that the Spiders are fanatically loyal to a dude who is literally unable to give any shits about them
Given the way Meteor City "Works," I wouldn't be surprised to learn he considers the Spiders exempt from the rest of humanity, if that makes sense. At the very least, he was distraught over losing Uvogin.

Alternatively, there's also that scene where Chrollo claims he has no worth as a hostage, where his subordinates remember him saying "If I'm ever captured, forget about me," so it's possible he just doesn't care about anyone including himself, in which case him not caring about his fellow Spiders is nothing personal, just the way things are.

Wild Horses posted:

Revenge would cost both pika and the spiders too much. If chrollo really wants to gear the spider towards ending kurapika It would mean risk for no real gain. They don't even have the eyes any, kurapika seems busy and the nen is gone. Thats also why chrollo Will Die
I don't feel like the Spiders will let off someone who murdered two of their members and exiled their boss for a year, but I guess we'll see.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the things I already really like about the Dark Continent arc is how much of a departure from the norm it is. Gon and Killua are out of the picture; Gon and Killua, the main main characters! The Zodiacs, Beyond's expeditionary force, and the royal family of Kakin are all by-and-large completely new characters who've been granted the spotlight. Gon's dad is doing things! Leorio is doing things! The Dark Continent itself is a fantastical horror show beyond human belief! I wanna see how Togashi handles these elements without relying on too many of the series' old standbys.

After this fight is over, Togashi will reveal that it's all taking place 5 years after the ship left port. Next chapter is Gon and Killua meeting Kurapika and Leorio as they get off the boat, Leorio, now missing an eye and an arm, gives Gon a fruit they found on the Dark Continent that will instantly return his nen abilities. He tells Gon that Gin gave his life in an epic fight in order to retrieve it. Gon says "Wow", eats the fruit, and the last page is him with his nen aura back. The End, thanks for reading and stay tuned for Togashi's next manga series, starting the next issue of Shonen Jump!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Bad Seafood posted:

Given the way Meteor City "Works," I wouldn't be surprised to learn he considers the Spiders exempt from the rest of humanity, if that makes sense. At the very least, he was distraught over losing Uvogin.

Alternatively, there's also that scene where Chrollo claims he has no worth as a hostage, where his subordinates remember him saying "If I'm ever captured, forget about me," so it's possible he just doesn't care about anyone including himself, in which case him not caring about his fellow Spiders is nothing personal, just the way things are.
I don't feel like the Spiders will let off someone who murdered two of their members and exiled their boss for a year, but I guess we'll see.

at the same time they definitely got revenge for uvo. York new ended with both sides withdrawing, the cost for continuing the fight being too great. also now kurapika is in good with the hunter organization, heightening the risk.
I guess if you consider Chrollo's talk about the spider being "one body" to be just talk, then maybe they'd really go for a high risk mission for no gain like that.
But i think chrollo just replenishes the members, kills hisoka, and keeps on being a creepy bandit like usual.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if they don't want revenge, Kurapika is a lingering threat to the organization that could interfere with their future plans (and they don't know that he's had a change of heart or whatever). The most practical thing to do would just be to hire a Zoldyck to kill him. We already know they aren't above that. However, I'm guessing that the threat of his nen getting stronger from death isn't gone, even with Chrollo having his powers back. Like, maybe it would get strong enough to overwhelm the nen beast that the exorcist made and return to Chrollo.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The End, thanks for reading and stay tuned for Togashi's next manga series, starting the next issue of Shonen Jump!

It also needs to have a message saying he won't pull a Yu Yu Hakusho (and now a Hunter X Hunter) again.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Does it look like Hisoka hits Chrollo's book with the head towards the end? That'd be a decent way to plant a texture surprise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

Even if they don't want revenge, Kurapika is a lingering threat to the organization that could interfere with their future plans (and they don't know that he's had a change of heart or whatever). The most practical thing to do would just be to hire a Zoldyck to kill him. We already know they aren't above that. However, I'm guessing that the threat of his nen getting stronger from death isn't gone, even with Chrollo having his powers back. Like, maybe it would get strong enough to overwhelm the nen beast that the exorcist made and return to Chrollo.

The nen remover dude said that the nen beast he made from a bomb would never go away unless the original ability was dispelled or the person who made it died. I'm guessing that the nen beasts stay with him rather than the person he removes nen from, since obviously Chrollo doesn't have a monster hanging off him. But since he removes and transforms nen rather than dispelling it, Kurapika may not know Chrollo is free yet. Kurapika's chain still exists, just as a gross monster.

Also, the spiders probably didn't even kill him and paid him off like they promised him because a business relationship with such a useful person is worth keeping. Posthumous nen curses are probably a regular problem for them. Heck, given the huge drawback Chrollo probably wouldn't even want his ability.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, the spiders probably didn't even kill him and paid him off like they promised him because a business relationship with such a useful person is worth keeping. Posthumous nen curses are probably a regular problem for them. Heck, given the huge drawback Chrollo probably wouldn't even want his ability.
Even then there doesn't seem to be a way to steal Abengane's ability as long as Judgement chain is active. In order for Chrollo to be able to take the ability he'd have to wait until after the exorcism has been performed. Then he'd have to fulfill all the conditions for skill thief and hope that when he does take it, it doesn't disable the previous exorcism because doing so puts a chain right back in his heart and him possibly still with his hatsu active killing him instantly. And if it doesn't he can't use the ability on himself because doing so is also suicide.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

??? Mods?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He is the Mod.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Help us God.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

:sherman:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Lpzie posted:

Help us God.
What kind of nen does God use

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nahxela posted:

What kind of nen does God use

God's a Specialist, obviously. Or maybe a Conjurer.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Roland Jones posted:

Or maybe a Conjurer.

Actually it's covered by Emission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007