Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Does LiveLeak count as right-wing media because hoo boy there are some dregs of humanity commenting on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

:captainpop:

The democrats went from slavery to enslavement. They also want to steal America. Gives you something to thing about. :ohdear:

I loving hate the comments. Just assholes that think they've figured out the one magic trick to trump the Democratic party

'The Democrats were actually the party of slavery and the KKK!'
:goonsay:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Previa_fun posted:

Does LiveLeak count as right-wing media because hoo boy there are some dregs of humanity commenting on there.

My dad's favorite alternative to youtube!

No wonder he's nuts. He tried to make me sit down and watch a beheading vine on there once so that the Muslim threat would sink into my thick skull. I did not indulge him. I wish he'd knock it off, that stuff isn't good for you to watch.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Previa_fun posted:

If you like watching people die gruesomely, especially dark skinned people in the middle east, LiveLeak is the place to be.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sir Tonk posted:

I read her book about growing up in the USSR, We The Living, before getting to her heavy hitters and I think it helped prevent teenage me from turning into a libertarian rear end in a top hat. Understanding her background and obvious capitalism worship from such an early age dulled the effects a bit.

Yeah, similar to "Area Man Passionate Defender of What He Imagines Constitution To Be," The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are "Soviet Woman's Passionate Defense of What She Imagines Capitalism and Freedom To Be." Then, shockingly, she found a bunch of selfish narcissistic idiots to enable her.

Her writing is so terrible and the entire thing is so tortured it feels like it must have started life as a satirical critique similar to Monopoly. She was serious, though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I like how the subtext in that "Hillary's America" trailer is that D'Souza was put in jail via Democratic plot.

Maybe subtext isn't the word... more like FIRST THING loving SAID.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I like how the subtext in that "Hillary's America" trailer is that D'Souza was put in jail via Democratic plot.

Maybe subtext isn't the word... more like FIRST THING loving SAID.

My dad really wanted the family to see D'Souza's most recent movie: America.

There were many hilarious parts: the PATRIOT Act is Obama's plot to spy on us all, the 2008 bailout was Obama's plot to make the banking industry beholden to the government, breaking treaties with the Native Americans wasn't wrong because the white man invented treaties, slavery wasn't racist because a black slaveowner existed.

But the funniest part by far was easily a shot of D'Souza in jail looking sad with a voiceover something like "Yes I shouldn't have broken the law, but but but Obama didn't have to investigate or prosecute me, so am I really here because I broke the law or is Obama punishing with me for criticizing him in my last movie? (Btw the answer is yes he is)" as if Obama knows who he is or gives a poo poo about his crappy movies and is personally directing the FBI to scrutinize every rando who complains about him to look for campaign finance violations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

There were many hilarious parts: the PATRIOT Act is Obama's plot to spy on us all

Gods, this Kenyan Muslim's foresight is astounding!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Poking around I found this on Quora that explains the party switch pretty well:

quote:

I teach history for a living. What you've learned is accurate.

Understanding this has to do more with understanding U.S. political history in general.

The republicans were a new party in Lincoln's day. They were a conglomeration of various northern former Whig constituencies and people that wanted to develop the west that coalesced due to issues surrounding slavery. Generally speaking, they retained a lot of the older Whig economic views that the government should be involved in the economy. It should promote policies that promote growth, they thought. That meant financing infrastructure, education, protecting native industries, policies that promoted commerce and rapid job growth. They did believe in more federal involvement in all these things, and it cost money. They were the forward looking, innovative party, and also vaguely speaking they were the "big government" party and had policies that promoted big banks, big industry, big business.

The democrats were the more tradition-minded party. They were also the party focused on keeping taxes low and when it came to promoting commerce, etc... wanted to leave it to the states. Generally speaking, they were the "states' rights" party.

The shift started after the Civil War and continued for over 135 years. After the civil war, the republicans started to split into factions generally divided between how deep "in bed" you got with big business, so they developed a conservative business wing often at odds with with the more progressive wing. The democrats pretty much stayed the states rights party and were marginalized at the national level for several decades.

Key points in the shift to the structure we know today:

1896: William Jennings Bryan incorporates the Populist Party vote, giving the democrats a sizable left wing on economics that it didn't have before.

1912: Theodore Roosevelt breaks from the republicans and runs as the candidate of the Progressive Party - this makes the republican progressive wing - once a third to a half of the republican coalition, much less committed to the party going forward and they never really reconcile. Republican leadership comes more and more from its conservative wing after that.

1932-45: Franklin Roosevelt essentially adopts most of the old Progressive platform and pretty much incorporates that whole vote into his Democratic coalition. This puts the party on a collision course when it comes to social policy.

1964: Lyndon Johnson essentially divorces the longest marriage the democratic party had: the one with southern whites. By making Civil Rights part of the Democratic platform, the republicans lose basically all of what's left of their black constituencies - which had been a significant part of their remaining progressive vote in northern urban areas. The democrats start to hemorrhage southern whites rapidly - you see George Wallace run for president in 1968.

2000: The process is 98% complete. By this time liberals are in the democrats and conservatives in the republicans for the most part.

There are more complexities within and after that but those are the major turning points. The current situation we have was solidified during the Lewinsky scandal of 1998 and the ensuing 2000 election. So you can see this was a very, very long process. Circa the late 1990s you saw the last generation that had republican liberals and democratic conservatives. They are all purged now, with only a few outliers still in the democratic party like Senator Manchin in WV. The republicans have no more liberals; they were all purged in 2006 and 2008.

**Please note** How I'm distinguishing "liberal" from "conservative" here is:

"liberal" -- in favor of more federal action in general, less power to states, active government that attempts to solve problems or encourage outcomes.

"conservative" -- less enthusiastic about federal action in general, wants more power given to states, more passive federal government that maintains a minimal footprint in social and economic affairs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Periodiko posted:

Besides justifications for anti-social behavior, I feel like soviet communism gives a lot of context to the philosophy. It's important to remember that Ayn Rand's family fled communist Russia. The entire philosophy was constructed to be an Anti-Communism, and a moral justification for American capitalism. It's popularity and relevance in the 20th century is largely owed to that context, I think. Objectivism is a dinosaur, I can't imagine it's that popular nowadays compared to more modern forms of anarcho-capitalism.

The GOP loves it, including the dude who's third in line for succession:

Rick_Hunter posted:

I loving hate the comments. Just assholes that think they've figured out the one magic trick to trump the Democratic party
'The Democrats were actually the party of slavery and the KKK!'
:goonsay:

Does that mean the Republicans stole our Confederate Battle flag for the last fifty years? :confused:
:haw: :laffo:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 13, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

Does that mean the Republicans stole our Confederate Battle flag for the last fifty years? :confused:
:haw: :laffo:

Yeah, you... really dodged a bullet there... :smith:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/mosuQ1n.jpg:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 14, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What the gently caress is wrong with you

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Avs you high af again?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Let's stay on topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km5YVF5x_CU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

PER ADULTI

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Alex Jones is hilarious to watch. Rush and Hannity and their ilk are just sleazeballs saying lovely things for a paycheck,. Alex, on the other hand, is legit crazy, and has so much anger inside of him. He gets off on these tangents and you can just watch the anger make him revert to a 5-year-old. I've seen a few videos where he stops even trying to make a point and just sits around going "Meeeeh! Look at me! I'm a globalist! I'm scum and I want to kill you! Meeheheheheeeeeeh!" Doing nasally voices and flailing his arms around like he's making fun of the asthmatic kid on the playground.

I find way too much joy in watching hate and rage make a man mentally regress.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mister Macys posted:

I thought Ryan renounced objectivism this/last year?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

AdjectiveNoun posted:

He did that when he became Romney's VP and he got challenged over Rand's anti-Christian stance. It wasn't really about the philosophy, just the lack of Jesus.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AdjectiveNoun posted:

No, he only changed his mind what his favorite book was.
From Atlas Shrugged to the Bible.

Mother fucker never read one of them, you can tell which one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's pretty much impossible to be a Christian and an Objectivist. Like I imagine Rand herself would be repulsed at the idea. The fact that we have so many people that want it both ways is pretty gross.

Ryan is a fucker and deserves whatever happens to him. I hope the Trump train grinds him to dust.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Radish posted:

It's pretty much impossible to be a Christian and an Objectivist. Like I imagine Rand herself would be repulsed at the idea. The fact that we have so many people that want it both ways is pretty gross.

Ryan is a fucker and deserves whatever happens to him. I hope the Trump train grinds him to dust.

That's why they stopped calling themselves "Objectivists" and started calling themselves "Libertarians."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/731142532109877248

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And you're a "professional truth sayer".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Matt Walsh, Professional Pedant about definitions of "girl" and "boy"

God, he's like Christian Fishmech

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There isn't anything inherently sexually abusive about a girl changing in the same room as a boy.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I'm just waiting for some MRA fedora wearer to go nuts about bathroom bills being anti male. If we force the pervs out of the women's rooms, they're gonna prey on our little future men instead. It's a clear case of reverse sexism. Are our sons worth less?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Doctor Butts posted:

There isn't anything inherently sexually abusive about a girl changing in the same room as a boy.

Taking it further, equating such a thing with outright sexual abuse sure tells you a lot more about Mr Walsh than he realizes he's revealing about himself, right? God these people are repressed to the point of logic immune insanity.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been some sort of sit-in-esque situation where half a dozen women use the men's bathroom to freak dudes out.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I could not be happier that people like Walsh, Crowder and Trump fans all want to throw their entire party and it's prospects in the trash just to offend me. Oh, Obama's a sexual abuser? Well that's kinda rude and doesn't sound plausible at all, ouch. Anyways, please pick up the pieces of the 90's messaging machine and majority on your way out, they're starting to mold.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Doctor Butts posted:

There is if you make the assumption that boys are irrationally sexual beings who seek to objectify and sexually harass women as a consequence of their male-ish nature, and are only kept in check from this by tiled walls and abstinence until marriage.

Can't imagine anyone who'd think like that, though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/731195182218149888

I used to be iffy about her as a reporter for racing related things, but after seeing this?

:allears:.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/731195182218149888

I used to be iffy about her as a reporter for racing related things, but after seeing this?

:allears:.

privatize and make everything a charter, duh

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Holy poo poo, I'm listening to conservative radio stations today, and they are flipping the gently caress out over the trans-inclusive order. Like, even the ones who try to put up an air of civility are literally yelling about how the perverts are coming for Our Precious Children, and the rapes this will undoubtedly cause will all be Obama's fault.

Todd Starnes is a stubbed toe away from saying "Grab your guns, patriots, the time has finally come".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nachos posted:

privatize and make everything a charter, duh

My personal favorite instance here was when Louisiana rolled out a massive effort to include faith schools in its expanding voucher program.

Shortly thereafter: "Muslim and Nation of Islam schools are utilizing state funding in schools in the poorest and most underserved parts of the state!? :stonk: We didn't mean those people should get voucher funding!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm listening to conservative radio stations today, and they are flipping the gently caress out over the trans-inclusive order. Like, even the ones who try to put up an air of civility are literally yelling about how the perverts are coming for Our Precious Children, and the rapes this will undoubtedly cause will all be Obama's fault.

Todd Starnes is a stubbed toe away from saying "Grab your guns, patriots, the time has finally come".

Out of the 5 or 6 different things that makes me think "Yeah, this isn't possible for Donald", Obama playing the worlds most powerful :smugdog: troll while Donald walks around with WH Correspondence Dinner hate in his heart, surrounded by an army of people who think sticking it to ZEROOOO is literally more important than winning has to be number 1.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I took a walk at night once and a guy and his girlfriend invited me to share a beer. We made small talk and when I got up he gave me one of Rand's books and said it would totally change my life.

Weirdest invitation to a swingers party ever.

Chantilly Say posted:

Matt Walsh, Professional Pedant about definitions of "girl" and "boy"

God, he's like Christian Fishmech

So a Jesus Fishmech?

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 13, 2016

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Go the gently caress to hell, Walsh.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And Walsh is having another kid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
By the way if being tangentially related to imaginary sex criminals makes you a sex criminal then Matt Walsh might want to ask The Blaze to take this down:

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/the-duggars-arent-hypocrites-progressives-are/