Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Owowowowowowowoeoeow

Never again putting liquid bandage on already chafed nipples, that was a terrible idea

Picnic Princess posted:

Crazy coworker

Walking is not the same as hiking, which is not the same as hiking uphill, which is certainly not even the same as climbing.

Guarantee he wimps out after getting winded very shortly. If not, not your problem! People greatly overestimate their athletic ability, thinking that just because they can walk across the parking lot at Wal-Mart, they can walk across America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Picnic Princess posted:

So apparently telling people I know about my crazy endeavours in the mountains is a mistake, because now a coworker of mine is convinced that he can climb a serious scramble overnight with zero experience just because I did. I've been arguing with him for days that he is not prepared for this because he hasn't even done a single summit during the daytime and the one he wants to do has major exposure, cliffbands, and downclimbs that most people need to be extremely careful of even during the day. I fear that he thinks it's easy because I'm a woman and since I did it twice, he can do it no problem. He said to me that getting lost was part of the adventure, and I told him the story of a guy who went missing on a hugely popular trail that I took part in searching for and he is still missing 5 years later, and that he needs to respect these mountains. I worry that this guy is going to ignore all my advice, mostly because he has two young kids and it's not unheard of of inexperienced people disappearing or dying here and if these kids end up fatherless because of my comments, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I told him that too. He keeps brushing off my concerns as emotional overreacting. I'm pretty sure this idiot is going to get killed because he thinks whatever I can do, he can do better. Pisses me off. I'm at a loss now. Hopefully he'll take my advice to start with an easy peak that has no chance of causing death with one misstep rather than what he thinks is going to be easy. Maybe if he tries that one, he'll get just far enough to realize "Hey, this is actually serious and I'm chickening out" and turn back without consequence.

Call the park rangers if he actually goes through with it. Tell them that he's inexperienced and under prepared for what he's trying to do. At least people will be prepared if he fucks up and hopefully that will have a better outcome

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

So apparently telling people I know about my crazy endeavours in the mountains is a mistake, because now a coworker of mine is convinced that he can climb a serious scramble overnight with zero experience just because I did. I've been arguing with him for days that he is not prepared for this because he hasn't even done a single summit during the daytime and the one he wants to do has major exposure, cliffbands, and downclimbs that most people need to be extremely careful of even during the day. I fear that he thinks it's easy because I'm a woman and since I did it twice, he can do it no problem. He said to me that getting lost was part of the adventure, and I told him the story of a guy who went missing on a hugely popular trail that I took part in searching for and he is still missing 5 years later, and that he needs to respect these mountains. I worry that this guy is going to ignore all my advice, mostly because he has two young kids and it's not unheard of of inexperienced people disappearing or dying here and if these kids end up fatherless because of my comments, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I told him that too. He keeps brushing off my concerns as emotional overreacting. I'm pretty sure this idiot is going to get killed because he thinks whatever I can do, he can do better. Pisses me off. I'm at a loss now. Hopefully he'll take my advice to start with an easy peak that has no chance of causing death with one misstep rather than what he thinks is going to be easy. Maybe if he tries that one, he'll get just far enough to realize "Hey, this is actually serious and I'm chickening out" and turn back without consequence.

Or maybe he'll bag the peak. Sometimes people can surprise you.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I managed to convince him to do one that won't lead to instant death with one slip off trail, and if he does it and shows great skills, awesome for him. Or he'll learn that hey, mountains at night are actually tricky and stuff, better stick to daytime. I wouldn't care so much if there weren't kids involved. 18-35 year old male yahoos can do whatever they want, but if they're responsible for kids maybe scale the risk-taking back a bit.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Just got a dehydrator, time to dehydrate a bunch of stuff :getin:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

Or maybe he'll bag the peak. Sometimes people can surprise you.
half the time it works every time!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Finally caved and bought a day pack:

It's starting to get very hot and humid out, so it'll be nice to carry some water with me on my fitness hikes, or lunch on some long day hikes.

I'm also going to really push myself to see if there's any way I can drop ten pounds off my pack and squeeze the contents of my 75 liter into ~22 liters... At any rate, this should be real interesting... I think minus the bulky winter quilts, minus bear canister, only one liter bottle of water, plus 1-2 pounds less on the pack itself, halve my first aid kit... This might legit be doable. Anyone else overnight with a day pack?

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

I managed to convince him to do one that won't lead to instant death with one slip off trail, and if he does it and shows great skills, awesome for him. Or he'll learn that hey, mountains at night are actually tricky and stuff, better stick to daytime. I wouldn't care so much if there weren't kids involved. 18-35 year old male yahoos can do whatever they want, but if they're responsible for kids maybe scale the risk-taking back a bit.

Which trail is the instant death one?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
can you washing machine backpacks without messing them up? or should i try hand washing mine? i have an rei flash 22 that i left a PBJ sandwich in for a few months and it pokemon-evolved into a massive colony of white mold. now my summer daypack is smelly.

Hungryjack posted:

Cuben fiber hiking skirts.

unironically owns bones
i pack all my stuff within my pack in ziplock freezer bags never had a reason to switch. i like having clear bags so i can see what's inside without fumbling through my gear.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's starting to get very hot and humid out, so it'll be nice to carry some water with me on my fitness hikes, or lunch on some long day hikes.

I'm also going to really push myself to see if there's any way I can drop ten pounds off my pack and squeeze the contents of my 75 liter into ~22 liters... At any rate, this should be real interesting... I think minus the bulky winter quilts, minus bear canister, only one liter bottle of water, plus 1-2 pounds less on the pack itself, halve my first aid kit... This might legit be doable. Anyone else overnight with a day pack?

If you wrap yourself up in a tarp to sleep in your clothes you can do it.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
it isn't too hard to overnight with a daypack just read a bunch of ultralight websites and see what those nerds do. a lot of them use small frameless packs. hammocks seem to pack a lot smaller than tents despite the similar weight because down quilts pack WAY smaller than foam pads. helps a lot to have rigging outside the pack and water bottle holders on the side, you can fit a LOT of poo poo in those.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/forum/general-forums/superultralight-sul-backpacking-discussion/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

can you washing machine backpacks without messing them up? or should i try hand washing mine? i have an rei flash 22 that i left a PBJ sandwich in for a few months and it pokemon-evolved into a massive colony of white mold. now my summer daypack is smelly.

If you have a front loader and maybe do something with the straps so they don't get all tangled up it probably would be fine? MIght have to run a couple of rinses
I wouldn't do it in a top loader with the agitator though

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
And choose a gentle cycle so it doesn't whip it around too much.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

OSU_Matthew posted:

What is your current gear setup like? You can definitely do 22 liters with the right gear--you don't need expensive ultralight gear, but you do need compact and light. Lose the stove, pack calorie dense food, use a tarp instead of a tent, take tablets instead of a filter, leave rainpaints at home (hike in low absorbant polyester), take a compact rain jacket (driducks are cheap and 5 oz).

But do take 2 bottles for water, that's a silly way to lose weight/space.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SplitDestiny posted:

Which trail is the instant death one?

Mt. Baldy in Kananaskis. This guy who has basically never hiked before wants to navigate features like this alone in the dark.

That being said, now I really want to do it or another one again.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Discomancer posted:

What is your current gear setup like? You can definitely do 22 liters with the right gear--you don't need expensive ultralight gear, but you do need compact and light. Lose the stove, pack calorie dense food, use a tarp instead of a tent, take tablets instead of a filter, leave rainpaints at home (hike in low absorbant polyester), take a compact rain jacket (driducks are cheap and 5 oz).

But do take 2 bottles for water, that's a silly way to lose weight/space.

Nope, you lost me on the stove, I need my morning coffee.

I think I could probably fit my whole hammock setup in there for sure, and probably food/stove on the other side. Only thing I don't know where to begin with is insulation. My 20° down quilt/underquilt fill up ~70% off my bag, uncompressed. Summer I don't need anything besides the layers I'm wearing, and my flashlight/mini multi tool/map/keys/phone should fit in the side pockets. I just don't know how I can fit any kind of adequate sleeping insulation in the mesh back pocket

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think I could probably fit my whole hammock setup in there for sure, and probably food/stove on the other side. Only thing I don't know where to begin with is insulation. My 20° down quilt/underquilt fill up ~70% off my bag, uncompressed. Summer I don't need anything besides the layers I'm wearing, and my flashlight/mini multi tool/map/keys/phone should fit in the side pockets. I just don't know how I can fit any kind of adequate sleeping insulation in the mesh back pocket

I've put a smaller inflatable pad (which packs small) in my hammock with pretty good result. It shifts around by morning but you're mostly protected from the hammock freeze effect. This is my pad combined with a down bag that packs relatively small

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Mt. Baldy in Kananaskis. This guy who has basically never hiked before wants to navigate features like this alone in the dark.

Yeah rip that guy.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's where I'm at as well. I have a 12L running pack, then it's a jump up to my 47L weekend pack. I've been considering getting something in the 20s for a light summer overnight. I was thinking my hammock, maybe a small blanket, and a little stove with a few odds and ends. I'm really curious to see how this shakes out for you. I'll probably go that route as well in the future at some point.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Cold coffee. Even if it's instant, everything tastes better on the trail. Try stoveless once, you'd be surprised at how much less fiddly everything is when you cut the stove out, especially in the morning, which turns into just "pack up and go", and you warm right up once you get moving. How much space do your bags take if you compress them? I've never used a hammock, but it sounds like it is pretty bulky compared to a tarp system.
Have you bought the pack already, because a 35ish liter pack sounds like it would fit everything no problem.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Discomancer posted:

Cold coffee. Even if it's instant, everything tastes better on the trail. Try stoveless once, you'd be surprised at how much less fiddly everything is when you cut the stove out, especially in the morning, which turns into just "pack up and go", and you warm right up once you get moving. How much space do your bags take if you compress them? I've never used a hammock, but it sounds like it is pretty bulky compared to a tarp system.
Have you bought the pack already, because a 35ish liter pack sounds like it would fit everything no problem.
I really do want to try a few trips without the stove, just with instant edible stuff and bars, and I could probably mooch hot water from my buddy's stove. The hammock, mosquito net, straps, and tarp pack up to about the size of a football, and even that could be easily halved with a smaller hammock (mine's a diy 12' with double layers sewn together for a pad insert.

35 would probably be perfect for a small overnight bag, that's a great suggestion--I'll probably wind up looking into those next. You have any particular favorite models you could recommend in that size?

I mainly bought this bag for long day hikes (eg lunch, water, a few small odds and ends like binoculars or a day hammock or something), and to bring a change of clothes with me on my motorcycle when I go to my weekly fitness hikes, or to carry a change of clothes since I bike into work. The hip belt and mesh outer pocket really sold me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
A good trail mix goes a looooooong way. It can get a bit monotonous though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe for one night, but I don't really see the appeal of the trade off. I will carry a stove that weighs a few ounces so that I can have a hot meal. It's strange to me that someone wouldn't want to. I remember reading an interview with an ultra-light hiker that had hiked the PCT without a stove. He said he'd never do it again, but that sounds just horrid to me.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think the main benefit is you can do away with a pot or mug which ultimately saves you more weight and space but yeah I like hot meals as well I'm not giving up my stove

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I'm the same boat, I just want to see if I can try something new to help push myself to go further, faster. I'm already down to a tiny stove that's less than an ounce, with a 2.5 ounce mug and 4 ounce fuel canister. Roughly half a pound for hot coffee and dehydrated meals is 100% worth it in my book.

I'm already pretty dang light, it's just pack volume that's killing me

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What volume packs do you guys usually use on multi-day hikes, say 2-3 nights?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tsyni posted:

I use my ULA Ohm 2.0 on basically everything greater than a single night, and even then, I sometimes use it for that too. Its less than 2 pounds (and under a pound and a half if you take some of the extra poo poo off), carries weight crazy well and is really durable. Think its main compartment volume is around 40L which I find to be perfect. I also like to strap stuff to the outside of my bag, so grain of salt.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So I got my darn tough socks yesterday.

I really don't wanna take them off.
I started wearing them basically full time (even at work) once I got them on my feet, at least during the spring-fall months when my feet sweat a lot. You can wear one pair straight while hiking and just maybe rinse them in a stream and dry them on a rock every couple days. The 1/4 sock light cushion (running) are my favorite.

Picnic Princess posted:

He said to me that getting lost was part of the adventure, and I told him the story of a guy who went missing on a hugely popular trail that I took part in searching for and he is still missing 5 years later, and that he needs to respect these mountains.
I'd be curious to hear the story if you don't mind sharing, although I understand why you might not want to.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 15, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
75L but we bring all of our water, cheap and bulky tent, ditto sleeping bag, extra cold weather clothes, way too much food, never enough beer. Could probably make due with 60L but whatever.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I do a 75l, but it packs down pretty well if it's not filled up.

Though most of the time I lament bringing too much stuff.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've got three packs for varying uses.

I have a 25L mountain hardware day pack thats very light. You can remove the foam padding on the back panel so that it can pack even smaller than normal. I bring this on most of my day hikes to carry a bladder, snacks and usually rain layer or a fleece. I've had to carry my dog in it when he was a pup and couldn't finish the hike. I'll use this for a quick and dirty overnight that doesn't require a sleeping bag, bear bin or warm clothes. I would bring a hammock, thin blanket and some food. I also bring it backpacking with me so that I have a day pack for side trips and summit attempts.

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-cima-alta-backpack-1525cu-in

I have a Gregory Savant (can't recall if it's 48 or 58 L) for weekends (2 nights plus) or lightweight summer backpacking trips. I'm trying to lighten my load so that I can use this as my primary pack. It's small enough that it can fit beneath the seat on an airplane or up in the overhead bins so long as its not fully loaded. It packs down surprisingly small with all the compression straps.

My biggest pack is a 70L mountainsmith cross country 3.0. It's my traditional workhorse backpacking pack that I've been using for years. I use this for most all my trips typically 4+ days in the mountains with a bear bin and possible freezing temps.

The biggest thing is that any longer than 2 days means I'm bringing the same gear as I would as a week long trip, the biggest difference being the amount of food I bring. Then again I live in Seattle where rain is always a possibility and the mountains get cold at night.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

theroachman posted:

75L but we bring all of our water, cheap and bulky tent, ditto sleeping bag, extra cold weather clothes, way too much food, never enough beer. Could probably make due with 60L but whatever.

If you're filling up a 75L with beer for your friends for a 2-3 day hike, you're a god damned saint. I want to go hiking with you.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I really do want to try a few trips without the stove, just with instant edible stuff and bars, and I could probably mooch hot water from my buddy's stove. The hammock, mosquito net, straps, and tarp pack up to about the size of a football, and even that could be easily halved with a smaller hammock (mine's a diy 12' with double layers sewn together for a pad insert.

35 would probably be perfect for a small overnight bag, that's a great suggestion--I'll probably wind up looking into those next. You have any particular favorite models you could recommend in that size?

I mainly bought this bag for long day hikes (eg lunch, water, a few small odds and ends like binoculars or a day hammock or something), and to bring a change of clothes with me on my motorcycle when I go to my weekly fitness hikes, or to carry a change of clothes since I bike into work. The hip belt and mesh outer pocket really sold me.
I've only owned a ULA Conduit (I think it's called the CDT now) in that range, and it's amazing. The Osprey ones are good, as long as they've fixed that annoying thing where they put the compression straps over the side pockets. It's hard to recommend packs since they all fit a little differently, and people want different things. I think simplicity is better than a lot of features/pockets, but if you don't feel that way, then you'll probably want something else.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Hungryjack posted:

If you're filling up a 75L with beer for your friends for a 2-3 day hike, you're a god damned saint. I want to go hiking with you.

Oh gently caress no. Shared items like tents and food are split over all our packs, but everyone carries their own alcohol. Not to say I'll never share a beer or something, but I'm not crazy.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
I was lucky enough to nab a waterproof Arcteryx 65 pack (that I'm pretty sure was designed for ice climbing) for 100bux when I first started getting into backpacking. It has no expandability whatsoever, makes my back sweat after a minute, is oddly heavy for its size and lack of features, and juuust barely fits a bear canister, but is the definition of bombproof and has somehow held enough for 7 days in the Grand Canyon when split between me and my partner.

So basically, division of labor is your friend (it also helps if all your gear is made for two).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tsyni posted:

My current favorite pack is my Osprey Exos 48. It is super comfortable, and perfect for my needs. I first heard about the Exos 48 when a friend of a friend used it to thru-hike the AT last year. I originally went with the the Exos 58 thinking I needed something bigger, but I returned it after a couple of hikes (hey a thru-hiker could use the 48, so can I). That said l mostly hike in the Southeast (TN/NC/VA area), so I don't have to carry as much as a lot of you guys do on a multi-day hike. In the summer here you could easily get away with a 36L or even smaller pack on a overnight hike.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

How much fuel are you guys bringing that a stove becomes cumbersome? Just get a tiny little alcohol stove. One of the best things about being on the trail is waking up as the sun rises and enjoying a nice cup of coffee before setting out. Same with tea or cider with a little whiskey in it at night. I'd leave just about anything else behind before I gave that up.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

nate fisher posted:

My current favorite pack is my Osprey Exos 48. It is super comfortable, and perfect for my needs. I first heard about the Exos 48 when a friend of a friend used it to thru-hike the AT last year. I originally went with the the Exos 58 thinking I needed something bigger, but I returned it after a couple of hikes (hey a thru-hiker could use the 48, so can I). That said l mostly hike in the Southeast (TN/NC/VA area), so I don't have to carry as much as a lot of you guys do on a multi-day hike. In the summer here you could easily get away with a 36L or even smaller pack on a overnight hike.

I have an old Kelty Redwing 48L and it's been around the world with me and the only thing I've ever broken was the sternum strap clip, which they promptly replaced without so much as a second thought. My Kelty is wonderful, but it's old and on the heavy side by today's standards. If I were to buy a new pack of that size, I'd be very tempted to get one of Osprey's packs that has that Anti-gravity harness system. My wife had the Aura 50 and it was ventilated and comfortable as hell.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How much fuel are you guys bringing that a stove becomes cumbersome? Just get a tiny little alcohol stove. One of the best things about being on the trail is waking up as the sun rises and enjoying a nice cup of coffee before setting out. Same with tea or cider with a little whiskey in it at night. I'd leave just about anything else behind before I gave that up.

What it comes down to is where your priorities are. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but some people want the bare minimum of equipment and weight. Some people want some creature comforts. Both sides are worth discussing, but if you look at it one way, the other option is just going to be less appealing to you.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

At some point the ultralight movement got so far up it's own rear end that everyone started ditching their stoves and switched to eating cold mush. You see quite a bit of that nowadays especially in the cross-country thru hiker crowd and the people who read their blogs and wish they were thru hikers.

Seems crazy to me but hey I really really like hot food.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hungryjack posted:

If I were to buy a new pack of that size, I'd be very tempted to get one of Osprey's packs that has that Anti-gravity harness system. My wife had the Aura 50 and it was ventilated and comfortable as hell.

Yeah, I've been eyeing the atmos because lots of reviews seem to be a fan of the comfort/ventilation.