Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The kind that is water-based and free-falls? Why's this paint only bouncing piss?

because piss is being sprayed at it in a stream and rain is just falling on it as drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

FAUXTON posted:

because piss is being sprayed at it in a stream and rain is just falling on it as drops

I think I'm more confused why he is worried about being hit with rain from sidewalks while not worrying about you know, the rain hitting him from being outside in the rain?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Do you want to have a conversation about the relative velocities of piss vs rain? I don't.

Telsa Cola posted:

I think I'm more confused why he is worried about being hit with rain from sidewalks while not worrying about you know, the rain hitting him from being outside in the rain?

Oh it's raining out, better bring an umbrella. *lives in fauxtonistan

Oh man, my umbrella doesn't cover all the water that is bouncing up from the sidewalk. Wonder wtf is happening here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Do you want to have a conversation about the relative velocities of piss vs rain? I don't.

Oh it's raining out, better bring an umbrella. *lives in fauxtonistan

Oh man, my umbrella doesn't cover all the water that is bouncing up from the sidewalk. Wonder wtf is happening here.

They're not painting the sidewalk, they're painting walls so it sprays piss back all over your pants when you let fly at the wall. It would be a complete goddamn waste to paint the sidewalk, did you seriously think they just poured this poo poo on the sidewalk this whole time? :laffo: god drat

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Do you want to have a conversation about the relative velocities of piss vs rain?

Sure, I would wager the numbers are pretty close but pee velocity debates are sadly a derail.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

They're not painting the sidewalk, they're painting walls so it sprays piss back all over your pants when you let fly at the wall. It would be a complete goddamn waste to paint the sidewalk, did you seriously think they just poured this poo poo on the sidewalk this whole time? :laffo: god drat

Well joke's on them because I drunk-pee on sidewalks.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Probably because 1) it's not as accessible because of the complex historical situation involved, which also doesn't provide the very concise and complete narrative of Romeo and Juliet and 2) it's not nearly as good a romance.

Cleopatra and Mark Anthony's love story is better romance than 2 kids who spent their nights crying at each other's balcony and literally died because of their own stupidity.
At least there were naval battles, fights in the street, poisonous snakes.

What did Romeo and Juliet have? People who spoke funny? pffff

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dalael posted:

Cleopatra and Mark Anthony's love story is better romance than 2 kids who spent their nights crying at each other's balcony and literally died because of their own stupidity.
At least there were naval battles, fights in the street, poisonous snakes.

What did Romeo and Juliet have? People who spoke funny? pffff

I mean, this was more or less my point. History is stereotypically seen as boring but if any point in history is gonna intrigue kids, its the end of the Roman Republic. There's murder, wars, sex, intrigue.... It's this kind of poo poo that makes Game of Thrones is popular only it actually happened. Well, sort of. Perhaps Antony and Cleopatra is a romanticization of all of that but who cares.

Plus, it correlates nicely to history classes. Everyone learns about Rome in history. It gives added context to the play. By contrast, when the gently caress did Romeo and Juliet take place? What sort of historical context does it have?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, this was more or less my point. History is stereotypically seen as boring but if any point in history is gonna intrigue kids, its the end of the Roman Republic. There's murder, wars, sex, intrigue.... It's this kind of poo poo that makes Game of Thrones is popular only it actually happened. Well, sort of. Perhaps Antony and Cleopatra is a romanticization of all of that but who cares.

Plus, it correlates nicely to history classes. Everyone learns about Rome in history. It gives added context to the play. By contrast, when the gently caress did Romeo and Juliet take place? What sort of historical context does it have?

R + J took place in Renaissance Italy, also full of murder, wars, sex and intrigue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The death of Leonidas Polk is a good quick one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sullat posted:

R + J took place in Renaissance Italy, also full of murder, wars, sex and intrigue.

Wasn't that the time with the evil Pope? I mean, the really evil Pope?

Still, I never learned anything interesting about the Renaissance in school. It was all about paintings and art and humanism, not the murder and sex.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Still, I never learned anything interesting about the Renaissance in school. It was all about paintings and art and humanism, not the murder and sex.

Human history is always about murder and sex.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NikkolasKing posted:

Were there popes that were not really evil during the renaissance? I don't know papal history enough to say so for a fact. But every pope I've ever read about during that era were pretty big pieces of poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The relationship between A and C is the least interesting part of the play. Harold Bloom described it well: they barely have any intimate moments together, and when they do appear together they speak past each other. As a romance it's lacking at best.

Try focusing on writing instead of superficialities.

e: loving autocorrect

Dalael posted:

Were there popes that were not really evil during the renaissance?

That's a stupid loving label.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 14, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The relationship between A and C is the least interesting part of the play. Harold Bloom described it well: they barely have any intelligent mate moments together, and when they do appear together they speak past each other. As a romance it's lacking at best.

Try focusing on writing instead of superficialities.

That's a stupid loving label.

It may be a stupid label, but it reflects what I know about popes in the renaissance. Hence why I wrote the sentence in the form of a question rather than a statement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe answering a little late, but I think that a cool introductory story to the Romans would be the invasion of the Cimbri and Teutones, the disastrous response by the Romans, and how Marius saved the day and instituted major army reforms.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dalael posted:

Were there popes that were not really evil during the renaissance? I don't know papal history enough to say so for a fact. But every pope I've ever read about during that era were pretty big pieces of poo poo.

Yes. Even THE Pope, the one that brought Luther to the point of writing the 95 Theses, Leo X, was mostly not a piece of poo poo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Isn't it a bit more that a good number of popes were on the Italian prince end of the scale rather than the spiritual authority end?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yeah, the coolest ones

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

yeah, the coolest ones

"Is the pope Catholic?"

"Yes, but less than he is an Italian prince scared of the Habsburgs"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

"Is the pope Catholic?"

"Yes, but less than he is an Italian prince scared of the Habsburgs"

and the bourbons

being a medium-level world power is hard

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

To get back to the piss paint, what would happen if you put a bunch of it on everything? could you make it strong enough to repel the rain and soak the clouds, you know, as revenge?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

To get back to the piss paint, what would happen if you put a bunch of it on everything? could you make it strong enough to repel the rain and soak the clouds, you know, as revenge?

Who the gently caress wants yellow clouds?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Saw this going around:

what your favorite ancient roman says about you

caesar: you’re really into the military and political reform, or you just like the ablative absolute a little too much

antony: you are an actual human disaster

augustus: either you’re really artsy and love the roman aesthetic or the propaganda got to you

catullus: it’s impossible to tell what’s more of a mess, your love life or your maturity level

nero: you have some seriously bad taste

cato the elder: you are a cabbage farmer, or you just really, really hate carthage

cicero: you are too salty for your own good sometimes

vergil: you are either a gentle forest spirit or a rabid imperialist, no in-between

horace: you just wanna chill and have a nice drink, or you just really, really hate trees

hadrian: you should probably try studying ancient greece instead

julian the apostate: you read decline and fall of the roman empire and were all like hmm this reasoning for why the empire fell definitely still checks out. you have a vintage aesthetic tumblr and wonder if you were born in the wrong century

cincinnatus: the only thing you like more than saving the republic is farming. the only thing you like more than farming is farming in the nude

ovid: you got rich doing transformation commissions on furaffinity

sejanus: ok i don’t think there’s a single person whose actual favorite roman is sejanus but is it just me or was patrick stewart super hot as sejanus in i, claudius?????? i mean for real

aurelian: you listened to mike duncan’s the history of rome podcast and were convinced of aurelian’s high Value Over Replacement Emperor stat

diocletian: you try to micromanage every aspect of your life in order to fix the problems you see all around you and think that if everyone just did their job everything would work out. but nobody else gets it and you just watch while everything falls apart anyway

sulla: you’re like the diocletian person except you died before everything fell apart again so you’re smugger about it

marius: you know a lot about roman military history. you mention individually numbered legions in casual conversation as if that will mean anything to anyone ever. you saw a portrayal of republican roman soldiers in the iconic lorica segmentata of later rome and cried

trebonianus gallus: you’ve been to the met and seen that hilarious statue of him in “heroic nudity”

pliny the elder: your hobbies include natural history and being killed by a volcano

incitatus: you are a horse

julius nepos: you instinctively pick sides in arbitrary historical disputes and then fight to the death for them. you know the name of the current pretender to every abolished monarchy in europe. when somebody says the roman empire fell in 476 you go, “um, actually”, but in a way even more annoying than byzantine enthusiasts

justinian, alexios komnenos, [insert byzantine here]: ha ha, very clever

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What if my favorite is any of the three Flavians?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chichevache posted:

What if my favorite is any of the three Flavians?

Three Flavians makes you Neapolitan.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

lol

edit: so this isn't just a shitpost, if I were trying to teach classical history to chinese kids in just a few lessons, I wouldn't hardly bother trying to convey the full sweep of west Eurasian history. Like maybe I'd spend 10-20% of class time on maps of empires and lists of battles and etc. Instead I'd try and go really in-depth into the characters and circumstance of one historical episode per class, and I'd try and tie those episodes back to a few themes through which I could connect them.

So say I had three lessons and wanted the students to understand the evolution of classical governance. I'd start by telling the story of Alcibiades or Pericles in great detail, then the next lesson I'd tell the life of Julius Caesar and the fall of the Republic, and the next class I'd tell of the career of Marcus Aurelius or Constantine, and through these stories the students could see illustrated how Greek Democracy, the Roman Republic, and Roman Empire functioned. Memories are most durable when associated with vivid imagery and emotion, and short historical vignettes give you the chance to incorporate those memorable details with the pathos inherent in a clear narrative.

And I'd try and end each lesson by tying history back to China or the student's modern lives somehow. Like with just another independent anecdote like the one about Justinian's spies already mentioned, or about Greco-Buddhist art and how Hercules became a bodhisattvas. Or even connecting the theories of Marx and Hegel to classical philosophy.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 15, 2016

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Alternates (also from Tumblr):

quote:

ovid: why can’t you get a date? maybe the ancients will know.

pliny the younger: you’re probably actually mr. collins

pliny the elder: your free time is devoted entirely to editing wikipedia category pages

juvenal: people can’t tell whether you are making fun of racists [sexists, transphobics, etc.], just hipster-racist, or genuinely racist.

tacitus: you love telling people about all the ways that their faves are problematic.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

What if its Catiline??

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
fishmech: you're also an autist

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Scipio Africanius?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Trajan?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Firstscion posted:

Scipio Africanius?

You cry like a bitch.

edit: Wait, poo poo that was Scipio Aemilianus.

Uhmmmm, you probably have great respect for your enemies?

Thump! fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 15, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Deteriorata posted:

:vince:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Theoderic the Great was the best Roman emperor.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Idk how you have a favorite Roman, its a little odd, but I guess Marcus Aurelian seemed pretty chill. How was he not famous enough to get one?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

And where the gently caress is Commodus?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I'm offended by my exclusion on the list as well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Elagabalus: You like weird poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The answer is Charlemagne, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.