Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Judakel posted:

Well, it is true that you did not know formal fallacies from informal ones, but it is not far-fetched to suggest that you have unreasonable standards. You've asked for "objective" examples of criticisms for this film before. An odd request" given that we are talking about art. Willy always puts a lot of effort into his posting, so you can't fault him there.

Neither of these things are true or on topic. If you're that desperate to talk to me you need to find a better pretext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Neither of these things are true or on topic. If you're that desperate to talk to me you need to find a better pretext.

In reference to arguing from ignorance, you PM'd me:

It is an informal fallacy. My point is that you're not taking Willy's posts in good faith and you do this often. All bitterness aside, he makes good points.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Publishing PM's is bad form.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
what hte hell is the cropping on that picture

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hat Thoughts posted:

what hte hell is the cropping on that picture

Phoneposting.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
U can't turn your phone sideways?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

Phoneposting.

If all you can post is the left half of a conversation then better to post nothing at all.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hat Thoughts posted:

U can't turn your phone sideways?

Looks terrible either way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Judakel posted:

Looks terrible either way.

Beyond how gauche it is to post a private conversation, I don't know what you think you're proving by posting the left half of it. We can't read the loving thing and understand what either of you are saying.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can't you see how fu
He could be making
, however given the

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Judakel posted:

He did the right thing, and you did the wrong thing by publicly continuing this conversation that no one else wants to read!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

He did the right thing, and you did the wrong thing by publicly continuing this conversation that no one else wants to read!

[Ferrinus looks on in horror]

If you destroy this conversation, you destroy Something Awful!

[Judakel stares at the private messaging features]

Something Awful had its chance!

[Shittily crops a PM with his heat vision, destroying the forums]

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Judakel posted:

It is an informal fallacy. My point is that you're not taking Willy's posts in good faith and you do this often. All bitterness aside, he makes good points.

I can't see that picture, but I do remember what I said. I meant formal in the sense of official or strict, not in the sense of P -> Q. I don't go in for that bowtie-spinning poo poo where you triumphantly spout Wikipedia article names like they're eldritch incantations. It's why I elected to informally - maybe you'd prefer colloquially or something - describe what I found objectionable about your conduct rather than dig for an official name ("from incredulity" would probably have been a better fit anyway).

So seriously, cut this out already. Post something of substance or don't post.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I took it to a metallurgist...
...at Kansas State.
He said whatever it was made from
didn't even...
Didn't even exist on the periodic table.
That's another way of saying...
...that it's not from this world, Clark.

What do you guys think Pa Kent did to keep that metallurgist from announcing to the world that stupendous discovery and how he came across it?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 16, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ungulateman posted:

[Ferrinus looks on in horror]

If you destroy this conversation, you destroy Something Awful!

[Judakel stares at the private messaging features]

Something Awful had its chance!

[Shittily crops a PM with his heat vision, destroying the forums]

"What would happen if I made that PM public?"
"It would be extremely embarassing."
"You're a-"
"For you."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

What do you guys think Pa Kent did to keep that metallurgist from announcing to the world that stupendous discovery and how he came across it?

Probably bought him a sixpack on the condition he kept it on the down low.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Pa Kent grows more than corn and barley on his farm if you're itching what I'm scratching.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That metallurgist is going to turn out to be Doc Magnus who gets all sorts of crazy ideas from it that don't unfold until years later.

But I think the junior novelizations around the time of MoS gave some excuse.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Can we focus on the most important thing in that screencap of the PM? 25 hottest celebs nobody wants to have sex with? And there's a picture of Scarlet Johansen? What even is happening here??

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Look at how much better this film does Pa Kent. Like, drat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've never cared for the idea that Clark needed to be taught that he wasn't literally god, just way too unrelatable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That's actually the same interpretation, just with "...and then I changed my mind, for no reason at all".

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Judakel posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Can we all just pause to appreciate the reason given for the probation here

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah, haha. You're finally free, Ferrinus! For a month, anyway.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, that's one of the best reasons I've seen for CineD.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Like that sequence has a clear, focused emotional tone that it's delivering (it's sad) and through totally natural dialogue reinforces two separate points of growth for Superman's character and achieves it all in a three minute sequence. It's elegantly simple and natural. Man of Steel is noisy, messy, confused and heavy handed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

I think I'm misting up a little

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lazorexplosion posted:

Like that sequence has a clear, focused emotional tone that it's delivering (it's sad) and through totally natural dialogue reinforces two separate points of growth for Superman's character and achieves it all in a three minute sequence. It's elegantly simple and natural. Man of Steel is noisy, messy, confused and heavy handed.

Totally natural dialog: "I had worries, then I got over them".

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

drat forgot how loving great the first superman movie is

the only lesson kostner kent taught supes is to be paranoid maniac, guess it makes sense that he would become an evil dictator in the future dream

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

The tornado scene is definitely one of the clunkier parts of Man of Steel, and Superman: The Movie, in the scene you linked, is a lot cleaner in comparison. Though it isn't nearly as good as the post-bus scene in MoS, so it's sort of a wash. Ultimately, though, Man of Steel wins out for having a more interesting take on raising Clark. In the earlier movie, Clark's nearly an adult, and he's still having to be told that he shouldn't use his powers for self-aggrandizement. In the later movie, we get a Clark whose chafing against his father's good advice, because he wants to live up to his father's good example. Now that's an interesting conflict.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

computer parts posted:

Totally natural dialog: "I had worries, then I got over them".

The fact that you have to resort to beating strawmen says plenty.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lazorexplosion posted:

You're right, it only took the '78 version a few minutes to show us that Clark's casual disregard for the limitations and frailties of humans jeopardizes his secret, his family's security and finally his father's life as Jonathan Kent has a heart attack trying to keep up with his carelessly roughhousing son. This version has no problem controlling his super-senses but he couldn't hear the fibrillation, never x-rayed his parents for critical medical conditions? What a monster. He might as well have killed the old man himself! Get out with this grimdark poo poo, it ain't my Superman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know it's because my soul is truly tainted and depraved, but honestly that heart attack doesn't come across all that much less comical to me than the tornado death.

[gives heartwarming talk]
"...Oh no :ohdear:"
[drops dead]

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lazorexplosion posted:

The fact that you have to resort to beating strawmen says plenty.

I'm not sure how quoting dialogue is a strawman.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

The tornado scene is definitely one of the clunkier parts of Man of Steel, and Superman: The Movie, in the scene you linked, is a lot cleaner in comparison. Though it isn't nearly as good as the post-bus scene in MoS, so it's sort of a wash. Ultimately, though, Man of Steel wins out for having a more interesting take on raising Clark. In the earlier movie, Clark's nearly an adult, and he's still having to be told that he shouldn't use his powers for self-aggrandizement. In the later movie, we get a Clark whose chafing against his father's good advice, because he wants to live up to his father's good example. Now that's an interesting conflict.

That is actually interesting, but I don't remember there ever being a real resolution to it, other than it being implicit, which doesn't actually provide time to feel satisfaction over the resolution of that tension.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

The interesting thing about a Clark who has to be warned against hubris is that at the end of the movie he gets pissed and literally turns back time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

That is actually interesting, but I don't remember there ever being a real resolution to it, other than it being implicit, which doesn't actually provide time to feel satisfaction over the resolution of that tension.

I don't find fault with the resolution being expressed implicitly through the actions of the characters – you know, showing instead of telling – but I guess YMMV.

Ferrinus posted:

The interesting thing about a Clark who has to be warned against hubris is that at the end of the movie he gets pissed and literally turns back time.

Yeah, it's definitely part of a setup and payoff. I'm just not that excited about a setup and payoff that is, "you're not literally god" and "whoops, guess you are."

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't find fault with the resolution being expressed implicitly through the actions of the characters – you know, showing instead of telling – but I guess YMMV.

There's a difference between you being able to intellectualize that x is implicit and having a scene or two where you explicitly are given time to feel the emotional weight of x. Especially when it's a tension that is set up so explicitly and repeatedly. I don't think that arc has a satisfying end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it's definitely part of a setup and payoff. I'm just not that excited about a setup and payoff that is, "you're not literally god" and "whoops, guess you are."

I believe the overall plan Richard Donner had for the two films was a sort of Greek tragedy -- Superman defies his father's will to stop both missiles and save Lois, but in the process releases the Phantom Zone criminals and still loses as he gives up both his mortality and his relationship with Lois to regain his powers. This kinda-sorta comes across in the Donner Cut but since it still had to use a bunch of Lester material it's all a bit muddled. And Clark becomes an even bigger rear end in a top hat at the end when he beats up the diner bully for a reason that no longer happened after he turned back time, drat.

lazorexplosion posted:

There's a difference between you being able to intellectualize that x is implicit and having a scene or two where you explicitly are given time to feel the emotional weight of x. Especially when it's a tension that is set up so explicitly and repeatedly. I don't think that arc has a satisfying end.

Jonathan doesn't have an arc, his role is to support Clark's development as a voice of moral guidance and caution. Just because the tornado scene is chronologically the last moment Clark and Jon share doesn't make it the end of the arc (for Clark), or else it'd be their last scene in the film.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

lazorexplosion posted:

For me that's the sequence where he talks with Lois about what his father wants from him, then talks to the priest, then shows up and turns himself over to the military. He tells Lois his father was worried about him revealing himself, he tells the priest he's not sure he can trust humanity, then decides this is his time to show some faith. But I appreciate that didn't work for you.

• Locked thread