Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

CCB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
BBB!

Dog kisser, you really made my heart skip a beat there.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Closing votes - my intention is to update today, fingers crossed. Group work forcing me to be a little bit more responsible at school - it's one thing for me to do all my work on my own schedule, but when people are depending on me I have to work with em' and compromise. It's basically the worst thing ever.

Incidentally, votes are incredibly strong for Bittersweet Response, Buying Something Pretty, and Medium Quest to Crystal Spires

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Drats, somehow this fell off my radar. I would have voted C, C, A.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

A great sob wracked my body, just once, then I dried my eyes and stood. The Fortugnat - the poor unfortunates - would live or die without me. I had a family who loved and protected me, and so I would love and protect them too. But first i wanted to do something. I wrapped Crackle in a powerful hug, lifting him clear off the ground, then told him I'd rejoin the tribe soon. He left me, and I got to work.

I finished my work on the dicestone cliff at first light.

I left my stylus there with it - I'd make another if I needed it, but I hoped that it would inspire another to add onto it. I stood before it awkwardly, unwilling to pray but wishing to convey… something to whoever was listening. Then it was time to go to Chromeport.

-O-
After accepting the Quest, I took some time to look at the artisan stalls on my way to the Crystal Spires. I felt admittedly a bit nervous about going up there and about the Quest in general, and the longer I could stall, the better. I avoided the weapons for now - I'd had enough of war - and I was too nervous to eat… but some of the artwork had caught my eye. Of special interest was a crudely scribed Manga on a slab of Milkstone. I held it up to the light, turning it this way and that examining its translucent white surface. The shopkeeper must have caught something in my eyes, because he didn’t say anything when i broke it in my grip, let the pieces fall to the floor. I left a Glass bead on his counter, and kept moving.

Even through the clouds of melancholy fogging my view, I spotted something absolutely beautiful. Wrought of Silver and Glass, it caught the light unusually. When I lifted it experimentally, I grunted against the unexpected weight of it - offset, sloshing within it. Water. The cursed matter, trapped in a ball of Glass.

The Glasswork was crude, but the Silver wrapped around it in fine filigree, as though keeping the ball and the Water in a cage. I liked it. I loved it! I handed over the rest of my beads to the shopkeeper, a Silvurtle whose eyes fairly popped out of her head when she saw my offer. She called something else to me, but I was already on my way upstairs.

-O-
Along with the map, the Questgiver (I was thinking of him with capitals, for some reason) had given me a parcel. I couldn’t figure out what it was wrapped in - some sort of incredibly thin cloth? - but it felt pliable and stiff all at once. I dared not to open it, because I was on a Quest to deliver it, but I sorely wanted to know what it was. Finding the way to the Crystal Spires wasn’t hard - anyone I asked knew precisely where the stairs were. My first quest was shaping up to be a disappointment.

Two hundred stairs later, I regretted ever complaining about it being too easy. I also regretted that I had brought my Glass-Water-Ball, which weighed heavily in my pack. At very least, it prevented me from getting tired and falling over - the idea of it breaking and leaking was more than enough to keep me standing. The stairs seemed unterminable, and I was just itching to see what was in the parcel. But, no, I had my Quest, and I only had until nightfall to do it. I kept going.

What felt like ages later, I finally crested the last stair and fell to the ground panting on the Silver platform. The light was already fading, and the wind was fierce. The Spires shone dully in the failing glow, and a deep hum filled the air. The map said the package had to be delivered… there.

Right at the base of the Spires. Across the Mirror Lake. Across the Water. The Glass-Water-Ball resonated in my pack and scared me, so I gingerly unslung my gear and set it on the floor, where it vibrated in time with the hum of the Spires.

I walked right up to the edge of the Lake, ripples always pushing outwards, away from the Spires. I gingerly stepped across to the first Glass stepping stone - which rocked nauseatingly beneath my feet. I dropped into a crouch until the motion subsided, deftly avoiding any drops of the vile liquid. The next stone was just past my furthest stretch - I’d have to jump. I summoned up every bit of the grace I’d learned in my years with the Verre, and I leapt. I landed in an awkward skitter, slamming my shoulder into the slippery Glass. This time the impact kicked up a spray - and worse, the hum got louder. As though this wasn’t tough enough already. I rolled, catching the dew on my cloak; it would keep me safe for now, but I wouldn’t trust my chances if I fell in!

One more platform, and then I’d be there. Another jump, a softer landing this time. Parcel was still safe, wrapped in two sets of arms against my back, but the thrum of the Spires was making the platform shake beneath my feet, and I had burned myself on a stray puddle in my distraction. I tensed my legs below me and jumped, landing face first on the (blessedly solid) altar in between the Spires. I peeled myself off painfully, only now really looking around. The Glass here was unparalled in quality, bearing the direct touch of a God. The pulsing thrum in the air was uncomfortably loud, but it sounded like music. The real problem was that I had arrived, but the recipient for my parcel wasn’t here! I couldn’t believe all this was for nothing. The last of the light had faded, and the stars were growing visible. Nightfall. Too late. It turned to leave.

A beast from the Water! I dropped the parcel, groped for my pack, for anything I could use to fight - but no, it was on the other side! I dropped into a fighting crouch, one of my legs lashing behind me like a tail. I wouldn’t go down without a fi-

“Your Quest has brought you to me, little Shi. I have been expecting you.”

Confusion washed over me, along with a generous helping of terror. An Aqeau Hero! The one I had seen fighting the Tyrant King all those years ago. She could erase me in a heartsbeat, and she knew it. But she smiled down at me as though she had known me for years, and I felt my fear subside. I really looked at her. Giant and powerful, but old. The oldest Person I’d ever seen, or even heard of. She reached out towards me with a giant hand, and I flinched, but when she touched me it just felt cool and reassuring. She took the parcel, and I felt a strange sort of warmth spread inside me - Quest complette.

“Your life has taken many twists and turns, little Fortugnat, to bring you here to my doorstep. The Spires and the Song have told me of your coming, but not who you were. I know you - I saw you fighting when we cast down the Tyrant Deesix,” this she said with sadness, as though speaking of someone who had lost their way, “and now here you are, wearing the garb of the Verre, comporting yourself like one of the Glass People. This world is truly full of marvels!” She laughed, and her laughter shook Water up onto the altar, spraying towards me. A kind smile from her, and the Water froze in place, hovering in the air like bubbles, each crystal orb refracting the light of the stars.

“Little Shi, my time on this world is almost through - and yours is just beginning. You will live long - too long, perhaps - and you have the time I lack. I need your help.” A golden sigil burst into view above her head, glowing bright enough to blind me. “A great many wrongs have been perpetrated against your People. Many mortal wrongs, but many Godly wrongs as well. None vex me more, none stand more firmly in the way of your People’s destiny, than the great wrong of your Great Curse. My own God laid it upon you, many, many generations ago. You may know him as Illarin, as L’RN, or you may not know him at all. But I assure you, it was his Action that caused this. Before I perish, I aim to undo it. Shi - will you help me?"
  • A I will!
    I will! I have to. The Curse has held us down for too long, made us too pliable. Even if I have turned my hearts to life among the Verre, I know they will support me in this. Working with Droplette will require me to be apart from my new People for long periods of time, but they can of course visit whenever they wish. I will learn very much from this experience - and will likely be around to witness the death of one of the great Heroes of our time.
  • B I won't!
    I cannot accept it - the idea of living apart from my Tribe, even for part of the time, is intolerable. I will well and truly cut my ties with the Fortugnat with this action, allowing Droplette to toil on this task alone. I can tell she will not be angry, only disappointed. I will leave Chromeport with my People and we will continue our wanderings. It's all I've ever wanted, in truth. I will grow wild and free, slave to no one, master of my own life.
  • C I flee!
    I do not answer - I merely flee. I flee the Spires, I flee the city. Perhaps I will flee from the Verre. A God has done this to us!? A God has cursed us!? Their petty and fiendish whims are simply too much. Worse, I am to be immortal, or nearly so? To grow giant and decrepit like Droplette, to watch those around me die of age while I continue in this God-haunted world? Then I will use my time to tear the Gods down from the sky. After all, I know that they can be killed - I saw it happen, all those years ago.
  • D I fight!
    I roar in rage and frustration, launching myself at her. I know I will perish in the attempt, but I am sick of People trying to control me or presenting me with impossible choices. On the other hand, maybe she is too old, too weak to face me. I have learned some tricks in my time, after all. Perhaps it is worth the gamble!
[BONUS: Completing the Quest gave Shi an additional Trait! Which one? List it along with your vote! Try to keep it to single word concepts, incidentally.]

(One last question - next update we'll bring the Gods in. Sorry for the crazy delay, school and work leapt sharply into precedence!)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Shi's parting from the Fortugnat was bittersweet: she still has feelings for old tribe. Of course she will help them. (A.)

Shi's quest has imparted a sort of determination in her.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A. Be a hero, Shi! I'd like to throw wizened into the pile of traits. It fits well, considering how much she's seen of the world.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Gotta go with A, Determined.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Of course we will help our people, (A)

DETERMINATION

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A, determined

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
A

Your desire to bring hope to your people fills you with DETERMINATION

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
DeteriminAtion

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
D
:moments:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

A, and Shi gains determination

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
A, fills Shi with Determination.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Ark has the right idea :v:

D is for Determination

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Theantero posted:

Ark has the right idea :v:

D is for Determination

The only choice worth anything because it made me lol.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

A

DETERMINATION.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A, time to free them from the damoclean threat. Determination works.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A, Determination

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kristopher posted:

A, Determination

Sure, this

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
A. The shine of the golden signal fills Shi with determination.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

A, Determination

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I have been failing to pay attention. I blame Stellaris.

A is the only option; Shi will help the Fortugnat. But Shi has learned from their time among the Verre; by adapting to their ways, Shi has survived. Shi has become Adaptable in ways that most creatures of Somewhere could never be.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I will live long, eh?

A. Get Old

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
A, Four-Faced

Author Face, Wanderer Face, Messenger Face, and Scarred Face

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 16, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A, Determination

:woop:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hmm maybe A, Determination, eh? Alright - I'll post a quick closing update and open up God stuff this afternoon!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

What else could I do? I reached out and she took my tiny hand in her massive flipper - it enveloped me completely, but it felt warm and friendly. I smiled a fierce smile of determination and laughed. She laughed too, and our mingled laughter echoed from the Spires.

This would be the work of years, much of which would be spent apart from my family. But I knew they would be there for me, when I could see them. They would be happy to see me, and I would be happy to see them. I was, for once in my life, happy.

I said once, a long time ago, that everything breaks eventually, and nothing can fix it. Well, maybe that’s true - things can’t go back to how they were. But maybe we can pick up the broken pieces and make something new. Something better.

(Alright, lots to unpack here! Fortugnat population remains low - but it hasn’t dropped too significantly during the time skip! Shi has learned Basic Milchemy! The Verre have learned Basic Glass-Shaping! The Fortugnat have gained a Shrine - Manga Cliffs! Shi has gained Determination from her Quest! Shi has gained a Quest - Lift the Water Curse. Through working with Droplette, she is 1/4 of the way through - she will need either help or time to complete it on her own!)

(Good for you, Shi! As with the last CYOA, her journey will seed the world with story hooks and other adventures for the Gods - but there’s nothing stopping you from just jumping in and meddling directly! Anyhow, onto the Third Age of the Gods!)

-O-
When the last of the Gods fell, Somewhere went dark.

Thousands of Wisps died instantly, too far from the lifegiving Something to survive the change. But many survived - after all, this wasn’t the first time they had seen this happen. They coiled around the minute leaks of Something bubbling out of the barrier, eking out a bare minimum survival. They knew that the barrier would fall eventually. Many grew impatient, even fearful, and tried to force their way through. The barrier stood, impregnable. The wiser among them took a different tack - they collaborated. Some pushed, others pulled. They sent ripples pulsing through the barrier, and zones of interference formed. Push and pull - and then they were through.

Five were through. Much time had passed, and the world was a new and strange place. But it was their place, now. Theirs to explore and to manipulate as they saw fit!

dog kisser posted:

GODS
  • To create your God, simply list your Name and Specialty. That’s all. For instance, Thakoth, God of Rain or Vendri, Goddess of Molten Steel or Wallace, God of Candy. Keep it simple, at least initially. You’ll have the chance to add to your Portfolio, with time - if you survive.
  • For you are indeed Fragile. Each God begins with 3 HP, and each turn you must roll a d20 to determine the magnitude of your Action.
  • On a dice roll equal to or below 10, lose 1 HP.
  • On a roll of 1, lose 2 HP and your Action backfires entirely, causing the opposite effect.
  • On a roll of 20, your Action is greatly magnified and you gain a +1 Bonus to Actions thereafter.
WISPS
The Gods aren't alone on Somewhere. Only five Gods can be active at once - Somewhere is still rather small, after all - but the would-be Gods outside can still affect the outcome as Wisps.
  • Any reader not currently portraying a God is a Wisp - Wisps have no Names or true personalities, but may affect Somewhere through affecting the Gods.
  • A Wisp may still add or subtract one point from any active God’s Action. If this drops their roll below 10, so be it - the Ocean is a harsh place. SOMETHING HAS CHANGED The barrier has grown firm and unyielding to pressure. In order to have an effect on the world, you must Push and Pull alternately. You have two +1’s and two -1’s to give this Age. You can use them in any order, but you must use them all. You can, of course, abstain - but doing so prevents you from gaining a Wisp Point that round.
  • Dice rolls only go between 1 and 20 - any bonuses or maluses that would cause them to exceed these thresholds merely become a buffer. For instance, a roll of 19 with +3 granted by Wisps would mechanically become a 20 - but would require -3 to lower it to a 19, rather than -1. Mostly you don't need to concern yourself with the math!
If you took any Wisp actions last Age, add your total Wisps to your 1d100 roll! Gods from last Age cannot be Gods this Age!

Don't bother making Icons until you get in, incidentally. Next update will be in a few days - lots to prep for the beginning of the Age!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Fortuna, goddess of LUCK/FORTUNE

Godhood check #3: 1d100 80+ 8 = 88

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dice Roller
Roller loel
Character
Campaign
Description apotheosis
Results 1d100: 63 [1d100=63]

http://orokos.com/roll/402958

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Beneath the Undercrust of Somewhere, a god sharpens his knife.

"Alright yer buggers." It spoke

"Time for round three"

1d100 + 8 = 21

In its heart of hearts, it knew it wouldn't be able to win out over the other wisps in the divine 'Grimy Basement Knife Fight' for it was a cruel and unforgiving arena. But he was drat well going to make them fight for last place.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Valthax, Lord of Pastry

http://orokos.com/roll/402961 47

Long had Valthax journeyed through an infinite void. A seeming endless Nothing. He had long since forgotten his origin. If he truly had one, and was not potential something waiting to be rather than something that actually is.

Before him, for the first time, was Something. He didn't know how he recognized it, only that he did. He drew something he knew to be a pie-cutter, and girded himself in his pie-tin. And charged forward, desperate to enter the Something. Yet there were others, like him, waiting to be, and they held the advantage.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Rhuax, God of Fire and Destruction

God Roll: 1d100+5 29

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Gulm, God of Laziness

1d100+6: 98!

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Rena, Goddess of Cattes

round three: 1d100 23 +2 = 25

High above, a wisp that flickered between orange and black turned and licked her side, biding her time.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 16, 2016

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dyu, god of death

Becoming a god, take 3: 1d100+6 74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Sol, Lord of -- eh, it's a 52, never mind. (1d100-10+4, http://orokos.com/roll/402966)

• Locked thread