Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

~Coxy posted:

It's funny how in the old days you used to be able to read the text while waiting for the image elements on the page to load, whereas now you can look at all the pretty pictures while you wait for the text to display.

Why must you remind us of how much better web surfing used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone remember how (un)reliable Zip-100M/250M/750M compared to jaz-1G/2G? Doing a retro build with a B&W G3 and trying to pick one of these drives. Well, I've already got the Zip-750 on order. Just trying to figure out if I want to also grab a Jaz-2G.

Oh god don't use Jaz drives for any reason. So many painful memories of data loss from those.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anyone remember how (un)reliable Zip-100M/250M/750M compared to jaz-1G/2G? Doing a retro build with a B&W G3 and trying to pick one of these drives. Well, I've already got the Zip-750 on order. Just trying to figure out if I want to also grab a Jaz-2G.

Do not get a Jaz drive. They were never good. Zip drives had their hardware issues but Jaz's only improvement was that it could ruin more data per failure.

If you want that retro look kitbash a flash drive into a Zip/Jaz case.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I had a SyQuest EZ135. Faster than a Zip drive, more storage, and as an added bonus, they flopped so I could get the disks super cheap from Surplus Software on closeout.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 16, 2016

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well I'm not going to put critical data on it. How bad could a new-old-stock drive be? Does anyone know how fast the 2GB version was?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Well I'm not going to put critical data on it. How bad could a new-old-stock drive be? Does anyone know how fast the 2GB version was?

SCSI-2 is only like 20MB/s max

PC World Benchmarks

Iomega ad

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Once again the thread lives up to its subtitle

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Pivo posted:

Once again the thread lives up to its subtitle

i don't know a single acronym that was posted

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

logikv9 posted:

i don't know a single acronym that was posted

I lived through Jaz and Zip id prefer to forget

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The girlfriend is looking at getting a laptop soonish and is eyeing a 2015 MBP of some sort. Macrumors says that a new model is around the corner, but it's Apple and Macrumors, so... ???

I take it that the refresh is going to be new Intel SKUs, a slightly different chassis, and a few new ports (USB C, etc)? No real good reason to not just pick up the nicest refurbished model she can afford?

Tom Hanks you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

The girlfriend is looking at getting a laptop soonish and is eyeing a 2015 MBP of some sort. Macrumors says that a new model is around the corner, but it's Apple and Macrumors, so... ???

I take it that the refresh is going to be new Intel SKUs, a slightly different chassis, and a few new ports (USB C, etc)? No real good reason to not just pick up the nicest refurbished model she can afford?

Tom Hanks you.

new rMBP's are supposed to be announced during WWDC that runs between June 13th - 16th I believe. I would honestly wait - supposed to be a pretty big refresh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A 1080p FaceTime camera doesn't count as a major refresh. :v:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

A 1080p FaceTime camera doesn't count as a major refresh. :v:

bro its 1080p

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Tom Hanks would wait.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

tuyop posted:

Tom Hanks would wait.

Tom Hank have faith in timb

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Do magic mouses or trackpads ever show up in the refurbished store?

I want a magic trackpad but the new price is a bit too steep for me. I was hoping the old ones might show up as refurbished, or at the very least that the price can be somewhat lower. As far as I can tell force touch is nothing more than a gimmick on the Mac.

Edit: poo poo, just found out that the magic trackpad 2 actually has a bigger touch area too. That sounds pretty sweet. I guess I'm in the market for a Magic Trackpad 2. SAmart etc is not an option for me as I'm in Europe.

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 17, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Do magic mouses or trackpads ever show up in the refurbished store?

I want a magic trackpad but the new price is a bit too steep for me. I was hoping the old ones might show up as refurbished, or at the very least that the price can be somewhat lower. As far as I can tell force touch is nothing more than a gimmick on the Mac.

Keep an eye on SA-Mart or MacRumors.com Marketplace? eBay?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

SCSI-2 is only like 20MB/s max

PC World Benchmarks

Iomega ad

Thanks. That should be enough to stream an SD/HD movie provided the CPU can keep up the decode.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

tuyop posted:

Your laptop is boiling!

What is this Fahrenheit poo poo? I hope.

poo poo you're right

I am a dirty peasant

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh man, look at that power efficiency. :swoon:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a 3TB WD Black I use in my Hackintosh (though that shouldn't make a difference.) HFS formatted. When I sled it and hook it up to my new 15" rMBP, it appears fine on the Bootcamp side but not at all on the Mac side – not even under df or Disk Utility.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Where can I find this neat looking monitoring software?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Where can I find this neat looking monitoring software?

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was asked "Which Mac should I buy" today. Had to think about it for a second.

The 13" Air is the value leader (11" even more so) instead of thin and light at $999

The MacBook is no longer the 'budget' model but the thin and light model, $1299

The Retina 13" Pro is $1299

The classic 13" Pro is $1099

I thought about Apple having only 3 laptop models. Budget, Pro, Thin

So do they stick with that? Does the Air stay around? Wouldn't 2 make more sense like the iBook/PowerBook days? Ugh. I wish they would merge the budget/thin models again, like when it was only Pro/Air.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I was asked "Which Mac should I buy" today. Had to think about it for a second.

The 13" Air is the value leader (11" even more so) instead of thin and light at $999

The MacBook is no longer the 'budget' model but the thin and light model, $1299

The Retina 13" Pro is $1299

The classic 13" Pro is $1099

I thought about Apple having only 3 laptop models. Budget, Pro, Thin

So do they stick with that? Does the Air stay around? Wouldn't 2 make more sense like the iBook/PowerBook days? Ugh. I wish they would merge the budget/thin models again, like when it was only Pro/Air.

They probably will once they can get the MacBook down to around a thousand bucks. They need to keep the Air around as a budget option until then.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

They probably will once they can get the MacBook down to around a thousand bucks. They need to keep the Air around as a budget option until then.

I agree 100%. Give it a couple of years and the MBA will be dead.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Question for the owners of the newer rMBs, do any of you use Photoshop (or Acorn/Pixelmator) on it? I wouldn't be doing a pro-level workload or anything, just slapping together posters and book covers and maybe editing the occasional photo, probably while hooked up to an external monitor.

Asking because I'm going to be in the market for a mac laptop later this year, and though I thought I'd be avoiding the rMB at all costs because of the gimped specs + keyboard, when I went by an Apple Store I actually found that I liked its keyboard better than that of the Air, which felt weirdly mushy in comparison.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ShadeofBlue posted:

I agree 100%. Give it a couple of years and the MBA will be dead.

I give it two.

Three max.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I rather they upgrade the Air with new form factor and better screens than the Macbook. One hole sucks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mu Zeta posted:

One hole sucks.

What do the other holes do?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

What do the other holes do?

talk dirty

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Skylake MacBook is cool. I still love mine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a 3TB WD Black I use in my Hackintosh (though that shouldn't make a difference.) HFS formatted. When I sled it and hook it up to my new 15" rMBP, it appears fine on the Bootcamp side but not at all on the Mac side – not even under df or Disk Utility.

What about 'diskutil list'? Do you know what kind of partition table it has?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

babydonthurtme posted:

Question for the owners of the newer rMBs, do any of you use Photoshop (or Acorn/Pixelmator) on it? I wouldn't be doing a pro-level workload or anything, just slapping together posters and book covers and maybe editing the occasional photo, probably while hooked up to an external monitor.

Asking because I'm going to be in the market for a mac laptop later this year, and though I thought I'd be avoiding the rMB at all costs because of the gimped specs + keyboard, when I went by an Apple Store I actually found that I liked its keyboard better than that of the Air, which felt weirdly mushy in comparison.

You'll be fine. Maybe spring for the high-spec version if you're scared.

A weird number of people ITT seem to have goldfish memories about what "on par with a 2012 MBA" means in terms of real-world usability for a large number of cases.

I've been posting about Macs on these forums since I joined on a 2007 C2D Blackbook and I remember how shocked and awed people were at the capability of the 2011/12 MBAs. People were comfortably Photoshopping, making music, working actual paying jobs, going to art schools, programming, playing certain Steam games, posting, doing some video editing, getting STEM degrees, Illustrator'ing, and LightRooming with them, myself included. Everyone was thrilled with them.

Affordable solid state memory has shifted the state of non-pocketable computers forward more than anything else in the last decade aside from maybe Sandy Bridge.

Sure, the MacBook compromises on ports and the keyboard is, at least initially, polarizing. And it'll probably be $200 cheaper in a year or two- as was the case with the other two most recent notebook lines (and as the rMB progressively takes the Air's place in the lineup). But if you're comfortable with the keyboard and port it's probably a lovely computer for your needs.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A weird number of people ITT seem to have goldfish memories about what "on par with a 2012 MBA" means in terms of real-world usability for a large number of cases.

Mostly people seem to be against the price point, which puts it in a similar ballpark as today's rMBP while getting "4 year old" performance.

I've been using the rMB as my daily driver for the past year since the initial release and it's kept up with everything I want to do. Managing a large (~10,000) photo library, editing 1080p video, coding on a large Xcode project.. The only place it's really felt underpowered (and drastically so in some cases) is gaming, but I never bought this to play anything more than simple games on the go.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

People were comfortably Photoshopping, making music, working actual paying jobs, going to art schools, programming, playing certain Steam games, posting, doing some video editing, getting STEM degrees, Illustrator'ing, and LightRooming with them, myself included. Everyone was thrilled with them.
They did so with Quadras, then PowerPC's, then G3's, G4's....

I always find it funny when people ask for a laptop recommendation and say "I hear an i3 is useless for Photoshop and I need an i7", and it's like well if you know how much work I did on a PowerPC G3 with a piddly 64MB of RAM back in the day...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How come there were so many 3rd party CPU upgrades for G3/G4 but none for G5? IBM?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They did so with Quadras, then PowerPC's, then G3's, G4's....

I always find it funny when people ask for a laptop recommendation and say "I hear an i3 is useless for Photoshop and I need an i7", and it's like well if you know how much work I did on a PowerPC G3 with a piddly 64MB of RAM back in the day...

I remember running a Photoshop demo (v. 3, 4?) on my Performa 631CD. The tiny preview window for the lens flare filter would take about 10 seconds to update between clicks. One of those times when a FPU would've been nice.

It's been a very long time since anyone has needed a powerful computer to do the basics but it's still hard to get that across to people who associate case size with horsepower.

EDIT: The PM 7300/200 I bought to replace the Performa was the only computer I've had that I did a CPU upgrade on, adding an XLR8 G3/333. Squeezed a few more years out of what would be my last Mac desktop. (We need a crying Mac smilie)

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 19, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember running a Photoshop demo (v. 3, 4?) on my Performa 631CD. The tiny preview window for the lens flare filter would take about 10 seconds to update between clicks. One of those times when a FPU would've been nice.

One thing I find amazing now compared to 'the old days' was waiting 10 seconds or even a minute for a simple filter to run. Now you can see it in real-time on a much larger image while you're just playing around with some sliders.

I also don't miss waiting seconds for a single image to load or save. With an SSD and modern CPU you can open 100 photos in like 2 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

One thing I find amazing now compared to 'the old days' was waiting 10 seconds or even a minute for a simple filter to run. Now you can see it in real-time on a much larger image while you're just playing around with some sliders.

I also don't miss waiting seconds for a single image to load or save. With an SSD and modern CPU you can open 100 photos in like 2 seconds.

I remember trying out one of the beige G3s towers in 1997 before I got my upgrade, and the first thing I did was go to that same preview window. It was amazing to be able to get a realtime preview as I whipped the mouse around in circles.

About the only thing that never seemed to change is rendering time for 3D work as no matter how much more processing power I've upgraded to over the years I always wanted to render a higher res, more CPU cycle expensive image.