Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Actually it's covered by Emission

I wanted to make a joke about God Emitting the whole world but I figured if I left it alone someone else would suggest it for me. Thank you for not(?) letting me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

What's more, they know that taking his friends hostage is very effective.

Eh, I doubt they'd gently caress with Gon/Killua now after what Pakunoda showed them (not that it would be easy for them to gently caress with Killua*).

*or Gon if he hadn't losted his nen

edit: By the way, how does Chrollo have Shalnark's power? Doesn't he have to steal it from you to use it? So is Shalnark now powerless?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 14, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, he seems to have stolen Shalnark's power. Kortopi's too (Gallery Fake), actually. He probably "borrowed" them specifically for this fight with Hisoka.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe the lion guy didn't actually die....

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Deja vu all over again.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
If Chrollo dies then what happens to the psychic girl's powers? Will she be able to tell the future again?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soylentbits posted:

If Chrollo dies then what happens to the psychic girl's powers? Will she be able to tell the future again?

I will guess so. Morel says that is how it tends to be with Power Stealers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, I doubt they'd gently caress with Gon/Killua now after what Pakunoda showed them (not that it would be easy for them to gently caress with Killua*).

*or Gon if he hadn't losted his nen

edit: By the way, how does Chrollo have Shalnark's power? Doesn't he have to steal it from you to use it? So is Shalnark now powerless?

Some of them might be a little sentimental or inclined to leave Gon and Killua alone. That does not include Chrollo. If he thought it would provide an edge against Kurapika, he would absolutely murder some children. That Gon lost his nen is irrelevant.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
togashi's author comments for the weeks since his return to jump:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he should go see a doctor and/or get a heroin addiction he can afford to finance

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

Help this man

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Law Cheetah posted:

:stonk:

Goddamn, What did that poor bastard do to his back?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Crain posted:

worked as a weekly mangaka. there is a reason why all of the other old hands tend to switch to shorter works or monthly schedules.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crain posted:

It's the Restriction for writing the series.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

worked as a weekly mangaka. there is a reason why all of the other old hands tend to switch to shorter works or monthly schedules.

I'm really not getting how being a comics artist translates to back injuries. Unless I am sorely misinformed about what it takes to make a comic.

Tunicate posted:

It's the Restriction for writing the series.

Lol

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Probably by spending hours sitting down and hunched over your drawing board for years on end.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

Probably by spending hours sitting down and hunched over your drawing board for years on end.

This is especially true if he happens to be genetically predisposed towards back issues. My mum is like that and has worked office jobs for the past 40 years and has had to have four major back surgeries (with a fifth likely coming up in the next few years).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

he should hire an assistant

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Stairmaster posted:

he should hire an assistant

Technically, he married one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So Chrollo just upped the stakes He doesn't need to keeping Gallery Fake bookmarked or open to keep the copies manifested. If they are tagged with Sun and Moon they stay around because the seal won't allow them to disappear.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/354/3412/1

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I knew it, 'Chrollo' was a copy.

I think this is the first time we've seen Hisoka actually bothered in a fight. For that matter, I can't think of a time where we've seen a fight from his point of view - everything has been from the outside between Hisoka and whoever's getting punked that chapter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh man, and I thought he would have trouble with crowds because his skill set isn't very suited for it. I should have expected the severed head flail. Oh wait, no I shouldn't have, because who the hell expects something like that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Chrollo has the right idea with this clone parade, because as Hisoka just demonstrated once he tags you with Bungee Gum you're pretty well hosed.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This might be my favorite fight thus far

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
This fight rules. Bungee Gum's insane versatility (With the properties of rubber and gum... ....) vs. Chrollo's really creative combinations of his very specific powers. It's super fun to read!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Giving Hisoka a really basic power set is a fantastic idea because rather than it devolving into the usual shonen powerups it means this character is threatening because he's really intelligent about the use of his seemingly basic powers. It helps underline the idea that the super-complex awesome megacool Nen powers with laundry lists of rules are not inherently better than a simple power used intelligently.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HxH continues to have the best fights of possibly any shounen series (with the potential exception of World Trigger). I actually like that Chrollo seems to be limiting himself to those several abilities we've seen used in this fight. While completely plausible, it would be kind of lame if he just pulled out some extremely convenient new ability to beat Hisoka. It's more interesting if the audience more or less knows what tools he has available.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Its awesome that the audience is part of the tools available.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

HxH continues to have the best fights of possibly any shounen series (with the potential exception of World Trigger). I actually like that Chrollo seems to be limiting himself to those several abilities we've seen used in this fight. While completely plausible, it would be kind of lame if he just pulled out some extremely convenient new ability to beat Hisoka. It's more interesting if the audience more or less knows what tools he has available.

Telling Hisoka how everything works is part of the mental battle. Well, unless it is a condition of his bookmark, but I don't think he would take something that inconvenient.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Telling Hisoka how everything works is part of the mental battle. Well, unless it is a condition of his bookmark, but I don't think he would take something that inconvenient.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the condition; copy abilities are already absurdly powerful, so using more than one copied ability at a time needs a serious drawback.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

usually he doesn't use the bookmark, i think it's something to shore up weakness in his usual ability.
a rule for it could very well be that for every power affected by the bookmark he needs to tell them about it. Overloading hisoka with information that contains hidden truths is still to his favour, as seen in the chapter. He actually told him the seal wouldn't go away, but hisoka didn't expect the clones with the seal to be permanent

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Another thing that might come into play: We've always been told that Nen is "limited". Fights have a reservoir of it that should run out. Now granted we've only ever seen newby users, and really just Gon and Killua at that, run out of nen but that could be a factor in this fight. Chrollo is using a ton of Nen. He's got 5(?) abilities on call, plus his own native ability and the book mark, he's making god knows how many copies, stamping them, marking them, controlling them, plus holding up the nen shield that I forgot the name to, using Gyo to control other things and keep an eye out for Hisoka's abilities.

So, sure, the dude is crazy strong but he's like an F1 racer right now. Going all out with near perfect precision. But he'll need a pitstop at some point.

Meanwhile Hisoka's just Bungee-gumming around and doing the normal combat nen thing. He's going to be able to last a lot longer.

I don't really remember a situation where running out of nen was a thing for anyone but Gon, but it could be if Togashi wanted it to go that way.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the best Nen ability in the entire series is based around running out of Nen

also jfc this fight is so good

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

HxH continues to have the best fights of possibly any shounen series (with the potential exception of World Trigger).

Really? Thats a pretty bold statement. Should I be reading World Trigger then?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This fight rules. Bungee Gum's insane versatility (With the properties of rubber and gum... ....) vs. Chrollo's really creative combinations of his very specific powers. It's super fun to read!!

There may be no power as versatile as Deep Purple but goddamn, Bungee Gum is loving close.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

HerraS posted:

the best Nen ability in the entire series is based around running out of Nen

also jfc this fight is so good

(Assuming you mean Hakoware)

Yeah but that's taking your nen if you fail to pay back Knuckles attacks. We haven't seen a fighter besides Gon or Killua just run out.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

There may be no power as versatile as Deep Purple but goddamn, Bungee Gum is loving close.

I'm glad I only just consumed all of HxH recently for a ton of reasons (catching it right after the insane hiatus first and foremost,) but I do kind of wish I was around reacting with everyone else about how cool Morel was during the Chimera Ant arc because man, Deep Purple also ruled.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

(Assuming you mean Hakoware)

Yeah but that's taking your nen if you fail to pay back Knuckles attacks. We haven't seen a fighter besides Gon or Killua just run out.

True, but it's still based on the user's total nen. People with more nen have more time before they reach their limit.

Also, on a tangent from that, but that big post up there and Chrollo using Gallery Fake reminded me that Kortopi had enough nen to easily make fifty skyscrapers. Chrollo or whoever asked him to make them was expecting five, meanwhile. This isn't particularly relevant here but it's interesting that someone with a non-combat (on its own) ability and who was the weakest Troupe member physically and all had such ridiculous amounts of nen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

readingatwork posted:

Really? Thats a pretty bold statement. Should I be reading World Trigger then?

so long as you forgive the really dumb setting and millions of characters you can't remember it does very good team battles which most shounen is bad at

was gon scary for the sheer amount of nen he was capable of releasing because that could also be a factor with hisoka being very close to enhancement