Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

The Adventuremobile is ready for its first big road trip.

Night 1- Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Night 2- Great Sand Dunes National Park
Night 3- Friend's house in Breckenridge
Night 4- Somewhere around Breck
Night 5- Somewhere else around Breck
Night 6- Somewhere else around Breck
Night 7- Carson National Forest
Night 8- Caprock Canyon State Park
Night 9- Dinosaur Valley State Park
Night 10- Home again home again jiggity jig.

Gonna do some car camping, some drive-up camping, and probably a little light hike-in camping, but I cannot wait to hit the road tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Speaking of Osprey bladders, it looks like they're coming out with a new version soon that does away with the circular opening:

Haven't seen them available in stores yet but I'm interested to see how the new fold-over opening and tilted mouthpiece work out.

Also, a trick with the Osprey reservoirs and water filters, especially the Platypus gravity filter...you can add a male adapter from the $10 Osprey Quick Connect kit to the output hose of the filter, which lets you hook the filter up directly to the drinking hose for a quick refill without having to take the reservoir out of your pack. Makes filtering water super easy, especially if you're doing it in the middle of a hike and don't want to deal with pulling reservoirs and bottles out of your pack.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

The Adventuremobile is ready for its first big road trip.

Night 1- Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Night 2- Great Sand Dunes National Park
Night 3- Friend's house in Breckenridge
Night 4- Somewhere around Breck
Night 5- Somewhere else around Breck
Night 6- Somewhere else around Breck
Night 7- Carson National Forest
Night 8- Caprock Canyon State Park
Night 9- Dinosaur Valley State Park
Night 10- Home again home again jiggity jig.

Gonna do some car camping, some drive-up camping, and probably a little light hike-in camping, but I cannot wait to hit the road tomorrow morning.

Palo is beautiful hope you get in a run there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I have a camelback foldover, and while it does seal well I'm not as much of a fan of it as the osprey.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That quick connect is awesome. Definitely going to pick up one of those.

My wife and I along with 2 friends are actually going to be at Great Sand Dunes National Park tomorrow. Apparently it is a full moon and full moon hikes are a thing there?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Great Sand Dunes is an awesome little park. I'm sure it will be amazing under the moon.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Speaking of Osprey bladders, it looks like they're coming out with a new version soon that does away with the circular opening:

Haven't seen them available in stores yet but I'm interested to see how the new fold-over opening and tilted mouthpiece work out.

Also, a trick with the Osprey reservoirs and water filters, especially the Platypus gravity filter...you can add a male adapter from the $10 Osprey Quick Connect kit to the output hose of the filter, which lets you hook the filter up directly to the drinking hose for a quick refill without having to take the reservoir out of your pack. Makes filtering water super easy, especially if you're doing it in the middle of a hike and don't want to deal with pulling reservoirs and bottles out of your pack.

I have one of these that came with my Osprey pack, and I still haven't figured out how to actually get it open. I may need to go back to the store to actually check if it's just a manufacturing error because I can't figure out how the hell to get water into this bladder.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I along with 2 friends are actually going to be at Great Sand Dunes National Park tomorrow. Apparently it is a full moon and full moon hikes are a thing there?

If you see an obnoxious-looking gangly white dude with an equally obnoxious cowboy hat walking around, that's probably me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

If you see an obnoxious-looking gangly white dude with an equally obnoxious cowboy hat walking around, that's probably me.

Colorado.txt

Let me guess, you'll also be wearing flannel?

Sounds like a popular place!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Patrovsky posted:

I have one of these that came with my Osprey pack, and I still haven't figured out how to actually get it open. I may need to go back to the store to actually check if it's just a manufacturing error because I can't figure out how the hell to get water into this bladder.

It looks like the Source bladder I have and with that you just slide the top plastic piece off. It can be a little snug however

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sand dunes is Southern Colorado, totally different world from the all-white tech bros with their flannels and goddamn drones every 10 feet in Northern Colorado. As far as I can tell everyone down there just grows weed and sells it illegally somewhere in Texas, because they seem to get angry if you ask them what they do.

Anyway full moon hikes are indeed awesome down there, night hiking is great in Colorado because it's just never overcast. Buy a nice headlamp and some eneloops and go crazy.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Internet Explorer posted:

Sand Dunes is cool. Have a great night hike!

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
3rd Update on finding the perfect triangular shaped boot for my hobbit feet. Below is the list of shoes that have been recommended that are in my price range. I tried out around 21 pairs today!

Altra:
Olympus
Lone Peaks 2.5
Superior

LaSportiva:
X Country
Crosslite 2
Wildcats
Bushido - Good wide toe, tight heel. However the largest size then do is a 12 that runs half a size under what it should be.

Montrail:
Sabino Trail
AT
Hardrock

Inov-8:
Roclite 295 - Good heel fit. side of big toe rubs up against the side.

Mizuno:
Wave Ascend - A bit meh. Nothing quite worked well.
Wave Kazan - A bit meh. Nothing quite worked well.
Wave Hayate - A bit meh. Nothing quite worked well.

The North Face:
Litewave TR - Have tried, toe box is far from wide enough. Heel was OK.

Merrell:
Moab Ventilators - Have tried, toe box is good, but the heel is wider then my current NB TR's.
Chameleon Ventilators

New Balance:
Leadvilles V3

I tried all of the Inov-8's but they all had the same big tubbing toe issues which is a pity as I would have bought some. The La Sportiva Bushido felt great in all areas, but there was no horizontal wiggle room, felt the shoe was slightly too tight. Is that normal? Am I being too fussy at this point?

There are no Altra stockists in London. I did try some Scarpa approach shoes which felt reasonable, but same problem as the Bushidos in that they felt tight. I would like to try a Inov-8 282 GTX as they have less of a front toe bumper and more mesh. Which may negate my big toe rubbing enough.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Can I have some recommendations for hiking pants? I will be hiking in Missouri and Arkansas during the summer and fall and Peru in October and November. I have 1 pair of North Face Paramount convertible pants and it's great but I would like some cheaper pants as well.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

SaltLick posted:

It looks like the Source bladder I have and with that you just slide the top plastic piece off. It can be a little snug however

Well yeah, but once the slide is off, the thing is completely sealed, like they just forgot to put an opening there.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

clockworkjoe posted:

Can I have some recommendations for hiking pants? I will be hiking in Missouri and Arkansas during the summer and fall and Peru in October and November. I have 1 pair of North Face Paramount convertible pants and it's great but I would like some cheaper pants as well.

Prana Zion

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Running tights or pants. I might look stupid by my running tights are the bomb for all four seasons.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Asomodai posted:

Am I being too fussy at this point?

Yes

clockworkjoe posted:

If your have a gander mountain near you, these are pretty good pants for ~35$. Zippered leg, ripstop nylon, good fit. I know a couple people besides myself who have bought these and been really happy with them.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 22, 2016

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Running tights or pants. I might look stupid by my running tights are the bomb for all four seasons.

Praying for the day when this is socially acceptable, for now I have to wear a pair of shameful shorts with them :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Rockybar posted:

Praying for the day when this is socially acceptable, for now I have to wear a pair of shameful shorts with them :(
As long as you're not in a lot of brush/etc., nothing beats hiking in thin tights. Great for sun protection, great for sweating, great for keeping the breeze off you.

If you think you look dumb, lose weight.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

As long as you're not in a lot of brush/etc., nothing beats hiking in thin tights. Great for sun protection, great for sweating, great for keeping the breeze off you.

If you think you look dumb, lose weight.

What about wearing a codpiece?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I need some advice on hiking with a sprained ankle. I rolled my ankle walking down the steps around 8 days ago (I fell the final 3 or so steps). For the first 3 days there was some slight bruising, but most of the serious pain went away after about 48 hours. Now it is just a little sore, and I am dying to get active again (also at least once a day it feels tight in back and it pops). Yesterday I did my first run since my fall. I did take it easy and only 1.5 miles (I normally run around 3 x 3 a week) right under 14 minutes. During the run it wasn't bad (at times I even forgot about it), but a little sore. Now I want to go hiking Thursday, and do a fairly short test hike up the Chimneys in the GSMNP. It is only a 4 mile RT, but you gain 1,500 in the 2 miles up. I know going back downhill I have to be extra careful, but I am dying to get out and hike. I also have a 12 mile hike scheduled for June 18th that has an elevation gain of 3,000 feet in 6 miles.

I know of course I should stay off it as much as possible, but I am just wondering if anyone else found themselves with a slight sprain, but kept being active? Besides wrapping my ankle what other precautions can I take?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I need some advice on hiking with a sprained ankle. I rolled my ankle walking down the steps around 8 days ago (I fell the final 3 or so steps). For the first 3 days there was some slight bruising, but most of the serious pain went away after about 48 hours. Now it is just a little sore, and I am dying to get active again (also at least once a day it feels tight in back and it pops). Yesterday I did my first run since my fall. I did take it easy and only 1.5 miles (I normally run around 3 x 3 a week) right under 14 minutes. During the run it wasn't bad (at times I even forgot about it), but a little sore. Now I want to go hiking Thursday, and do a fairly short test hike up the Chimneys in the GSMNP. It is only a 4 mile RT, but you gain 1,500 in the 2 miles up. I know going back downhill I have to be extra careful, but I am dying to get out and hike. I also have a 12 mile hike scheduled for June 18th that has an elevation gain of 3,000 feet in 6 miles.

I know of course I should stay off it as much as possible, but I am just wondering if anyone else found themselves with a slight sprain, but kept being active? Besides wrapping my ankle what other precautions can I take?

I would at the very least take a pack with your normal trail weight and walk around a bit and see how you feel. Carrying some extra weight can make a big difference.

I had a trip of a lifetime hike/hunt to Etolin island a few years back and sprained my ankle pretty badly a few weeks before I was scheduled to go. I just took it easy for the first week and used an exercise bike to stay active. I also iced and elevated it nightly for about a week. I was feeling like 80-90% good by the time my trip rolled around by just taking it easy beforehand. Once there I made sure to wrap it, and I know this has been debated a million times, wore my heavy duty ankle high Danner hiking boots. I feel like having my upper ankle enclosed definitely helped keep it stable and from rolling over.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Tights and shorts are great, tights alone would be pocketless and weird. I just want to find some good hiking shorts with a really short 6-7" inseam and five pockets.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I would at the very least take a pack with your normal trail weight and walk around a bit and see how you feel. Carrying some extra weight can make a big difference.

I had a trip of a lifetime hike/hunt to Etolin island a few years back and sprained my ankle pretty badly a few weeks before I was scheduled to go. I just took it easy for the first week and used an exercise bike to stay active. I also iced and elevated it nightly for about a week. I was feeling like 80-90% good by the time my trip rolled around by just taking it easy beforehand. Once there I made sure to wrap it, and I know this has been debated a million times, wore my heavy duty ankle high Danner hiking boots. I feel like having my upper ankle enclosed definitely helped keep it stable and from rolling over.

This.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nate fisher posted:

My wife tried the same thing and dragged her injury along for months. Just take it actually easy and be mentally ready to turn around.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

evil_bunnY posted:

My wife tried the same thing and dragged her injury along for months. Just take it actually easy and be mentally ready to turn around.

I am the worst for refusing to turn around (it is the Marine in me), but I will take it easy as possible. Thanks for all the advice. I stopped icing and elevating it, but I am going to resume that every night until it is completely gone.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Stupid goon here. My brother and I are planning to hike Long's Peak this summer. We've been to the keyhole twice, but that was 10-15 years ago and very poorly equipped. Our gear was school backpacks full of bottled water and granola bars, running shoes, jeans, and sweatshirts and no real training beforehand.

I'm looking for some pointers to make sure we don't do it quite as stupidly this time. So far I'm thinking changes would be a decent day pack, hiking poles, actual hiking boots or trail runners, non-cotton clothing, and extra layers. I'm not too worried about the scrambling since climbing is my primary form of exercise now, as long as we keep re-evaluating how we're feeling when we get there. Tell me what else I should think about or how I'm going to die.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Start before daylight, you'll be fine. Water is hard to find a bit above treeline, so bring plenty (depending on time of year; lots of snow this year, so who knows).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

nate fisher posted:

As someone who has sprained each ankle once in the last year (playing basketball with my high school students, I'm too old to go hard in the paint but I can't help it) and then not taken enough time to recover, I strongly recommend not overdoing it. If you can move your ankle in any way or direction, with or without weight on it, and there is even the slightest amount of pain or discomfort, your ankle isn't ready. I didn't follow that advice and would wait 4 or 5 days til it felt pretty good (but tender in a specific direction), go hiking or play sports on it, and then it would be noticeably more painful for a few days after. I had to just stop and give it 2 weeks or doing nothing but limited walking until it felt 100%.

Dutymode posted:

Stupid goon here. My brother and I are planning to hike Long's Peak this summer. We've been to the keyhole twice, but that was 10-15 years ago and very poorly equipped. Our gear was school backpacks full of bottled water and granola bars, running shoes, jeans, and sweatshirts and no real training beforehand.

I'm looking for some pointers to make sure we don't do it quite as stupidly this time. So far I'm thinking changes would be a decent day pack, hiking poles, actual hiking boots or trail runners, non-cotton clothing, and extra layers. I'm not too worried about the scrambling since climbing is my primary form of exercise now, as long as we keep re-evaluating how we're feeling when we get there. Tell me what else I should think about or how I'm going to die.
Also, bring whatever it takes so that if you are stuck overnight, you won't die. An emergency space blanket takes up basically 0 room and weighs close to nothing, but there is a 0.01% chance that the last thought that goes through your mind before you freeze to death will be "Why didn't I pack it?". Also a slightly higher chance you may come upon someone in need of medical attention and it could be important.

Edit: Deleted the boots/trail runners part because I don't want to turn this into an argument about that and the opinion was more strongly worded that I intended.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 24, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
People wear boots because in a lot of places it is often very wet very often, how can you guys not understand this?

Does everyone else in this thread live in a loving desert or some windswept hellhole above the tree line?

Are you all confused by the notion of plants that grow low to the ground and this thing called dew that happens sometimes in the morning?

We also have this wild poo poo called rain, it's loving water that falls from the sky and get everything wet, and sometimes it stays wet for a day or two, it's loving madness!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yes, I wear full hiking boots too and don't quite get the whole "trail runner" thing and I don't agree with the 'no reason to not wear trail runners' thing. I like having ankle support because I'm a clumsy motherfucker, and if you have a good quality light boot it's like wearing nothing at all. (And I hike all over, from coastal mud to desert dunes to canyons in J Tree. They've never done me wrong before.)

But I don't get super smarmy and :barf: all over the forum, buddy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am very passionate about wet feet. It's very hard to be cool and happy with wet rear end socks.

I am trying to save people from wet socks.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I changed my original post because it was more strongly worded that I had intended. I'm also not familiar with the hike he is planning on.

I won't generalize information, but merely speak about my own experience. I have owned several pairs of boots in the past, and never found one that kept the water out while being lightweight. If my feet are going to be wet, they might as well be wet in shoes that quickly dry and do not get significantly heavier when wet. My personal research into the ankle support side of things indicates that all but the most extreme boots will do little to protect the most common types of ankle injuries. My view on them is extra weight for little if any discernible advantage. I might look into a pair if I was going to spent 9 rainy days hiking the Wonderland trail (even then I might just get some neoprene socks), but outside of that, I like trail runners :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dutymode posted:

Start well before daylight. I always suggest people acclimate themselves to altitude if needed, my wife got altitude sickness last year on longs and it sucked. Bring layers, food and water, don't detour to the lake like we did.

Hiking poles are the bomb.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Start well before daylight. I always suggest people acclimate themselves to altitude if needed, my wife got altitude sickness last year on longs and it sucked. Bring layers, food and water, don't detour to the lake like we did.

Hiking poles are the bomb.
Hiking poles are a game changer, no doubt. Huge knee saver on the way down.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Do poles make a big difference on light day-hikes, or do they really shine with larger packs?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I wear boots because I like to not sprain my ankles while navigating talus slopes with wobbly rocks up to the size of microwaves.

With regards to poles, someone like me who has chronic joint pain kind of needs them because even the 400m elevation day hike I did the other day resulted in me limping by the last 50m left to descend. I would imagine that people with great joints wouldn't really benefit them unless they're putting the joints under great stress, but sadly I am not one of those people and I try to always bring mine with me no matter what I'm planning. The times I forget and the times I regret.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do poles make a big difference on light day-hikes, or do they really shine with larger packs?

I carry poles everywhere I hike. It makes a world of difference for my wife and I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I dip my feet in sap before I hike. Trail runners are for novices.