Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Dibujante posted:

According to his Steam profile, he commands ferocious loyalty; a true leader of men:
code:
: IF U WERE KILLED TOMORROW, I WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN DA PERSON THAT KILLED U!
•......|.._______________________, ,
•....../ ..—-_____——___________|] = = = = = D
•...../==o;;;;;;;;__.: /
•.....), —-.(() /
•....// (..) ), ——”
•...//__ //
•..//__ //
•.//__ //
•WE TRUE HOMIES •WE RIDE TOGETHER •WE DIE TOGETHER •send dis GUN to every1 of ur homiez. C how many times u get this, if u get 13 your A TRUE HOMIE 4 LIFE 420

White kids scare me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
there's some discussion here by Johan and BjornB about the expansion pass they added in the HOI4 preorder that's kinda interesting: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-did-pdx-decide-to-sell-expansion-passes.933506/&sdpDevPosts=1

importantly: they're probably gonna be doing these for every game going forward

I'm not opposed to it at all and if the savings are significant enough (with the GMG voucher you basically get one of the DLCs for free with the field marshal edition) I'll probably be getting them from here on out, but if this is gonna be a thing in the future, I really hope Paradox will start releasing a roadmap, even a vague one, for DLC that'd be included in it. I get that part of the point of these things is that I'm showing I trust the devs, but still, am I paying for something like Art of War or Common Sense, or is it gonna be more like $25 of Hitler portraits as him dressed up in various animal suits?

I mean obviously Paradox isn't gonna screw us like that, but what about stuff more along the lines of Sunset Invasion? Personally I'd be totally down with that, but for plenty of people if one of their expansion pass slots is taken up with a fantasy scenario they're gonna flip their loving poo poo. Will it just mean the death of fantasy DLC coming out in the future?

I know they wanna back away from giving firm details (to stop people bitching about stuff like the Diet in EU4 estates) and I appreciate Paradox's transparency with the dev diaries, but they have these expansions planned way in advance. Just something like "for this HOI4 pass, the first DLC will be about China, the second will be about fleshing out straights". It'd definitely make it a lot easier to make a decision on whether to get it or not.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I really like the idea of season passes for paradox games, but I don't particularly care about cosmetic DLC that has no measurable gameplay impact. So seeing part of the expansion budget burned by the Argentinian tank pack would feel like it was wasted money for me. Not sure how Paradox could change that except with some sort of build your own bundle mechanic where you chose what DLCs you get as part of the pass.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gently caress buying expansions before the features are even loving announced.

Holy poo poo.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have literally never bought any cosmetic DLC and frankly find the idea of buying it unfathomable. The only exception was when it was bundled in with a bunch of other DLC that was actually of some function.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm banking on an 'expansion' being a bit more than cosmetic DLC! Literally the first time I've pre-ordered a pdox game don't let me down.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I have literally never bought any cosmetic DLC and frankly find the idea of buying it unfathomable. The only exception was when it was bundled in with a bunch of other DLC that was actually of some function.

why?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Because it offers no additional value? That people pay for cosmetic DLC baffles me too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Some people like NATO counters, some people like to have every model and variation of a tank represented by a 3D model.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

popewiles posted:

Because it offers no additional value? That people pay for cosmetic DLC baffles me too.

that is subjective as all gently caress. i'd take 2 relevant content packs over an expansion i don't care about any day.

e: like a model i'm gonna be staring at for my 30 hour campaign sessions is way more relevant to me than a steal maps button or condottieri that i'm gonna maybe use about twice before forgetting about forever

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 21, 2016

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I don't mind dlc but I need to know what the offer is before I hand over cash, I'm not just taking the word of a business that it will be something at a later date.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never even bought any DLC :cool:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I would never pay for cosmetic dlc. If I have any now it is because they are part of larger packs that was cheaper to purchase together than apart.

I still can't fathom why people would pay for the season passes for content that hasn't even been announced.

Like are people legitimately stupid?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I buy nearly every expansion on launch and I trust Paradox. Buying it off GMG meant I basically get rewarded with one for free (and I'm guessing in the future there'll be a big discount too), I'd have to wait like 8-10 months for a 40% off sale otherwise. If you're not planning on getting it anyway then yeah it's dumb but I would be, and I'm pretty confident Paradox is gonna try to do this one right considering it's their first foray into doing an expansion pass.

and personally I don't understand the clear divide people have between something they look at in a game where they look at things and a button they can press so a number can change. Cosmetic DLC is content too.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Phlegmish posted:

I've never even bought any DLC :cool:

admitting to piracy, huh? mods!?!?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Koramei posted:

I buy nearly every expansion on launch and I trust Paradox. Buying it off GMG meant I basically get rewarded with one for free (and I'm guessing in the future there'll be a big discount too), I'd have to wait like 8-10 months for a 40% off sale otherwise. If you're not planning on getting it anyway then yeah it's dumb but I would be, and I'm pretty confident Paradox is gonna try to do this one right considering it's their first foray into doing an expansion pass.

and personally I don't understand the clear divide people have between something they look at in a game where they look at things and a button they can press so a number can change. Cosmetic DLC is content too.

I agree with you about cosmetic DLC, but paying for DLC before it's announced sounds really iffy. Obviously it's a business model that seems to work, but it sounds to me like a measurable loss in quality control if you can sell something before anyone even knows what it is.

Also, viewing a discount as a personal reward sounds p bad to me.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
the only content pack I would pay for are historically correct counters to replace the NATO counters.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

YF-23 posted:

I agree with you about cosmetic DLC, but paying for DLC before it's announced sounds really iffy. Obviously it's a business model that seems to work, but it sounds to me like a measurable loss in quality control if you can sell something before anyone even knows what it is.

Also, viewing a discount as a personal reward sounds p bad to me.

yeah now that you mention it that was a bit weird. I'm not gonna die on this hill defending the DLC packs, it's why I came into the thread asking if we can get details in the future in the first place. Cknoor just said in the Paradox thread that they usually don't have concrete details on the future packs, even if they do have vague ones, and IMO that's something that needs to change if they're planning on getting into selling these.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have my own music, I don't even look at the armymans graphics and I got enough portraits with my first bundle that everything isn't awful.

As for the Paradox books, pffff, hahaha

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I expect having a development roadmap for a season pass would be an even bigger kerfluffle because now you have a list of all the features Paradoxsek (Paradokr?) cut out of the initial release to purposefully fleece you for DLC cash. At least with the current DLC planning for their stable of games they can make the argument DLC development is a two way street based on player response to the current state of the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nitrousoxide posted:

gently caress buying expansions before the features are even loving announced.

Holy poo poo.

Hey it worked for Star Wars Battlefront.

$60 for four expansions. No details. Contains four kinds of things!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

When the cosmetic DLC goes for 50 cents each during Steam sales, it makes it pretty easy to grab all of it for the cost of a sandwich.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would never pay for cosmetic dlc. If I have any now it is because they are part of larger packs that was cheaper to purchase together than apart.

I still can't fathom why people would pay for the season passes for content that hasn't even been announced.

Like are people legitimately stupid?

From past experience I will buy 100% of the additional content regardless of quality so I may as well get a small discount now.

Either I will think "wow this is great, let's buy the DLC" or "ugh this is terrible, I guess I need to buy DLC to fix it".

So to answer the rhetorical question, I bought the field marshal HOI4 edition, yes I am legitimately stupid and I have serious problems when it comes to mapgames. :shrug:

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Koramei posted:

yeah now that you mention it that was a bit weird. I'm not gonna die on this hill defending the DLC packs, it's why I came into the thread asking if we can get details in the future in the first place. Cknoor just said in the Paradox thread that they usually don't have concrete details on the future packs, even if they do have vague ones, and IMO that's something that needs to change if they're planning on getting into selling these.

Yeah that was badly worded by me, of course there are plans. But when you're selling future expansions, as soon as you mention an idea, and someone buys the product based on that idea you have to be really sure that what you deliver contains that idea. There are a lot of ideas, not all of them make it all the way into an expansion or game launch for that matter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they can't do that because when they say WE'RE ADDING ESTATES people won't be willing to preorder the dlc

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Ironically IIRC, when the dev diary came out people seemed pretty pumped about estates.

cKnoor posted:

Yeah that was badly worded by me, of course there are plans. But when you're selling future expansions, as soon as you mention an idea, and someone buys the product based on that idea you have to be really sure that what you deliver contains that idea. There are a lot of ideas, not all of them make it all the way into an expansion or game launch for that matter.

It doesn't have to be every single idea in the expansion though- I don't know how development works at Paradox, but I imagine you have at least an idea for what the DLC will be about that doesn't change so far in advance? Horse Lords is about the Steppe, Conquest of Paradise about the American natives, Wealth of Nations is about trade. It doesn't have to be "El Dorado will add a nation designer with 30 banners, a choice of 80 different idea groups and the ability to set the gender of your heir". Just literally more than just the price point to go on would be so helpful to inform whether to get it or not.

Buying season passes/ expansion packs is about putting your faith in the developer, it's supposed to be a gamble and if the stuff turns out to be poo poo then that's our own fault for buying it. I'm not asking for an official guarantee of quality or whatever. But not knowing even slightly what the stuff is seems pretty novel to me.

I have my own music, I don't even look at the armymans graphics and I got enough portraits with my first bundle that everything isn't awful.

As for the Paradox books, pffff, hahaha

I think it's totally understandable that on a personal level you don't want to get cosmetic DLC. Saying you can't fathom why anyone would though is pretty bizarre.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Koramei posted:

Ironically IIRC, when the dev diary came out people seemed pretty pumped about estates.

I figured they would be better integrated into the existing systems. I thought estates would have as much influence on your decisions as a powerful neighbouring kingdom. That they'd act independently and seek more power.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

the first DLC will be about China, the second will be about fleshing out straights". It'd definitely make it a lot easier to make a decision on whether to get it or not.

cishet scum

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Are there any discounts for the higher levels of the preorders?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

StashAugustine posted:

Are there any discounts for the higher levels of the preorders?

yes at GMG with voucher code IRON25 i believe

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would gladly have paid for 20 different content packs if it meant estates and states never got into EU4. So glad we have Stuff To Do In Peace Time, as I click each province after conquering it 5 times instead of once

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Estates are DLC and not a patch, right? I keep wanting to go back to EUIV because it was so good, but if they've been adding even more new stuff I feel like I'll get overwhelmed.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

cKnoor posted:

Honestly if you can't even offer a one-sentence summary of what's intended to be in these promised expansions then a season pass is a pretty terrible prospect. At that point it's just 'hey, give us some extra money, just because! We'll use it for something, we promise!'

And yeah, if you present an idea then people expect to see some version of it appear -- which is absolutely fair enough. I'm a scientist working in AI and simulation, and have to seek out research funding sometimes, and in so doing I have to promise to do certain things -- and if I don't then I have to explain why and present something else, or even give the money back. That's the way it should be, I can't sit there and expect millions of quid for a vague promise of 'I'll do some random science, I swear!' IMO it's not too much to ask that Paradox tell us something about where our money would be going, because that's normally what happens when you ask someone to pay you money toward a project.

Sure, you can get away with it and convince some people to give out the money anyway, because the gaming community is pretty susceptible to hype. But that doesn't mean it's a decent thing to be doing or a good precedent to be setting.

Smoremaster posted:

yes at GMG with voucher code IRON25 i believe

FYI, games bought on GMG are not eligible for Steam refunds, so be sure you're prepared to risk the money before pre-ordering.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I would gladly have paid for 20 different content packs if it meant estates and states never got into EU4. So glad we have Stuff To Do In Peace Time, as I click each province after conquering it 5 times instead of once

Let's make more things add infamy that'll stop all the conquests

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

thorsilver posted:

Honestly if you can't even offer a one-sentence summary of what's intended to be in these promised expansions then a season pass is a pretty terrible prospect. At that point it's just 'hey, give us some extra money, just because! We'll use it for something, we promise!'

And yeah, if you present an idea then people expect to see some version of it appear -- which is absolutely fair enough. I'm a scientist working in AI and simulation, and have to seek out research funding sometimes, and in so doing I have to promise to do certain things -- and if I don't then I have to explain why and present something else, or even give the money back. That's the way it should be, I can't sit there and expect millions of quid for a vague promise of 'I'll do some random science, I swear!' IMO it's not too much to ask that Paradox tell us something about where our money would be going, because that's normally what happens when you ask someone to pay you money toward a project.

Sure, you can get away with it and convince some people to give out the money anyway, because the gaming community is pretty susceptible to hype. But that doesn't mean it's a decent thing to be doing or a good precedent to be setting.

FYI, games bought on GMG are not eligible for Steam refunds, so be sure you're prepared to risk the money before pre-ordering.

Don't worry man. I sure they just want to keep their next two dlc's "The sounds of brazil" and "Accurate Tibetan unit models" a secret so as not to spoil the surprise.

They'll be super worth 40 bucks.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Phlegmish posted:

Estates are DLC and not a patch, right? I keep wanting to go back to EUIV because it was so good, but if they've been adding even more new stuff I feel like I'll get overwhelmed.

The Cossacks DLC, specifically.

corn in the bible posted:

Let's make more things add infamy that'll stop all the conquests

you've been playing too much vicky 2!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dlc that lets the AI use transports

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Koramei posted:

I trust Paradox

LOL

ed: It's just straight up retarded to pay for something that you know absolutely nothing about, no matter how much you trust a company. I still haven't bought Conclave or Cossacks for CK2/EU4, or any of the song packs, or the unit packs, or the loving Ebooks, and I wouldn't have that option if I was a retard and bought some Bethesda-style DLC pass thing

Viral Warfare fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 21, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

you've been playing too much vicky 2!!!

impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Don't pre-order games, please don't spend more money than you spent on the game to pre-order loving DLC.