Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Wife and I are planning our trip to Italy, what awesome car stuff should I plan the trip around?
Modena obviously
Advice.
If your renting a car buy whatever insurance they offer and take pictures of any previous damage before you leave. They tried saying we owed 3000 dollars and eventually Visa had our back.
Rent a small car obviously.
People speed like mad on the autostrada, towns and poo poo are easy to get lost in. Get ready to dodge coaches full of tourists while suicidal mopeds are blasting between you and the random pedestrian who suddenly decided to cross in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Driving in cities in Italy? PREPARE TO DIE. Get all the insurance because Italians drive like dickheads and when parking they will often just wedge into spaces and shunt your car to get in/out.

GIS Italian parking:

Italian parking basically comes down to 'is that gap barely big enough for my car/moped? I'm parking in it'

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Driving in Europe is more hectic than driving in the US and the further south you go the worse it becomes. Italy is like the final boss level

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Seriously, you have to be a hyper-attentive driver to do Italy without incident.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I forgot to ad the amalfi coast , just south of naples , has some amazing driving roads.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What's the best way to de-winter your interior, especially a beige interior? I've got some general dirtiness on the floor mats, as well as a heavy salt deposit or two.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's the best way to de-winter your interior, especially a beige interior? I've got some general dirtiness on the floor mats, as well as a heavy salt deposit or two.

There are fancy auto carpet shampooers our there for rent, but I find that a spray bottle of warm soapy water, a medium bristle brush and a good wet-dry shop vac can approximate the fancy tool. Just get it dry afterwards.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That and a Goodwill steamer (goodwill always has streamers) can really get stuff off.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Is there a Pontiac thread? Only time I see Fieros discussed is in the craigslist thread and it's just about always making fun of a kit car.

Anyway, I like the second version of the Fiero GT (the one with the larger taillights) and found a local one in decent shape with a manual and not an insane price. Does anyone in AI have specific opinions/knowledge on the Fiero? From what I've heard the best one is the last one, that's when they finally put in the good suspension and made the car they wanted to in the first place, but '88 Fieros are hard to find and this '86 I found seems rather decent. I'm selling off the Hornet and the Roadmaster so I can focus on the Volvo engine transfer and keeping the Grand Marquis running, but really miss having a manual car and have always wanted a Fiero.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Need a replacement battery for a 2003 350z touring. Are interstate batteries good these days? If not who is a good manufacturer? Some brief googling leads me to believe that Costco interstate batteries are not actually interstate or are lower quality. Any truth to that?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

Need a replacement battery for a 2003 350z touring. Are interstate batteries good these days? If not who is a good manufacturer? Some brief googling leads me to believe that Costco interstate batteries are not actually interstate or are lower quality. Any truth to that?
I've had an Interstate battery in my VW Golf since I bought it ~3 years ago. It's survived 5 (afaik) Minnesota winters and a dead/dying alternator, I have zero complaints, and will likely buy an Interstate battery when I need to.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My dad has an 09 grand marquis, and the auto climate control system stopped working on him. He only gets hot air, the AC lines are ice cold and when we do the self test dianostic it points us to a blend door code. After he performs the self test, the AC will work for between 30 seconds and 3 minutes afterwards, and then you can hear the blend door move back and we get a blast of hot air. It first happened a few weeks ago, and when he did the self test it fixed it until now. Hes done it probably 20 times and every time it eventually switches back to full heat.

Tearing down the dashboard to get to the part is at least a full day job. Figure these cars were selling mostly unchanged for long enough that someone else had this issue. Is there somehow an easier way to rig something up to manually move the blend door himself?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
I was in Detroit last week and I caught a glimpse of a police car (this is probably not going where you think it is, Detroiters); it looked like a late model Charger (current body style), with a "traditional" black and white paint job, but it had a 1970s light bar on top like this one.

Does anybody know WTF?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

infrared35 posted:

I was in Detroit last week and I caught a glimpse of a police car (this is probably not going where you think it is, Detroiters); it looked like a late model Charger (current body style), with a "traditional" black and white paint job, but it had a 1970s light bar on top like this one.

Does anybody know WTF?

Michigan State Police are ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_State_Police#Unique_lighting

quote:

MSP vehicles also feature a clear plastic sign, referred to as a "hood light" or "hailer" or "shark fin" on the hood that lights up when activated. The historical use of this hood light dates from the time when a "side stop" patrol stop would be initiated by pulling up next to an offender and the Trooper would motion them to pull over in daylight; at night the hood light was illuminated displaying the words "State Police" and "STOP" (MSP no longer use the "side stop").

e. I stand corrected, that might have been the Saganaw County Sheriff's Department
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/10/saginaw_county_sheriffs_budget.html

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 24, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Duralast gold lasts forever in the 350z size

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Serious stupid question:

2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost, 53,000mi and 3 months ago the warranty expired.

Now, it has a stretched timing chain. Ford TSB 14-0914.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kis-hIyOdU

I dropped it off at the dealer. They told me "You're basically hosed. That'll be $3000 please" They're also gonna hit up Ford and see if there's anything that they're willing to do.
I guess my question is, what the gently caress do I do. I don't have $3000 lying around, and I REALLY don't want to dust off my wrenches in the hopes that I can replace this and not gently caress it up.

Any recommendations? Anyone "know a guy?" Do you think I'll be able to leverage anything to get ford to pony up?

HALLLLLP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Serious stupid question:

2011 F150 3.5L Ecoboost, 53,000mi and 3 months ago the warranty expired.

Now, it has a stretched timing chain. Ford TSB 14-0914.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kis-hIyOdU

I dropped it off at the dealer. They told me "You're basically hosed. That'll be $3000 please" They're also gonna hit up Ford and see if there's anything that they're willing to do.
I guess my question is, what the gently caress do I do. I don't have $3000 lying around, and I REALLY don't want to dust off my wrenches in the hopes that I can replace this and not gently caress it up.

Any recommendations? Anyone "know a guy?" Do you think I'll be able to leverage anything to get ford to pony up?

HALLLLLP

Ford corporate should have a 'good will' fund specifically for cases like this. You could argue that the chain begun stretching before the warranty period expired; if you make enough noise and complain to enough people they'll probably at the very least meet you halfway and pay for the parts but not labour.

E: basically you need to be the worst, noisiest, cuntiest customer imaginable and you'll probably come out of this pretty good.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 25, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Ford corporate should have a 'good will' fund specifically for cases like this. You could argue that the chain begun stretching before the warranty period expired; if you make enough noise and complain to enough people they'll probably at the very least meet you halfway and pay for the parts but not labour.

Didn't know about the 'good will' fund. That's a little more comforting. I'll let the dealership do their magic and see what they come up with.
If I can get this all fixed for the cost of labor (10h @$100/h), then I'm totally fine with paying $1000

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

E: basically you need to be the worst, noisiest, cuntiest customer imaginable and you'll probably come out of this pretty good.

They have what's called campaigns. There not exactly recalls but basically know they are at fault but don't do poo poo until somebody really throws a fit in the middle of the show room .

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's better than Chrysler. My Pentastar left the factory with casting sand but it didn't work its way into my heater core (enough to kill it) until the 3/36 expired and somehow this doesn't count as a powertrain issue. The dealer also has no input whatsoever into this process, it's all their 1-800 call center people.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Safety Dance posted:

e. I stand corrected, that might have been the Saganaw County Sheriff's Department
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/10/saginaw_county_sheriffs_budget.html

Yes! It is a Christmas miracle. I owe you a beer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

honda whisperer posted:

They should be the same as any other Interstate. Actually, Johnson Controls (the company that manufactures batteries for Interstate) used to make Costco's Kirkland line of batteries, which were pretty well regarded.

Interstate batteries are good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Didn't know about the 'good will' fund. That's a little more comforting. I'll let the dealership do their magic and see what they come up with.
If I can get this all fixed for the cost of labor (10h @$100/h), then I'm totally fine with paying $1000

Campaign parts are effectively already paid for as far as the distributor cares, they know they'll run out of them before they run out of defective vehicles so it costs them nothing to throw parts at you so you shut up and go away; the labour is just a sop to the dealer for putting up with your bullshit (which it isn't, but that's how it works) and helping to make you go away. All car companies have goodwill funds AFAIK, it's just a quick and easy way of dealing with messy situations like yours.

Preoptopus posted:

They have what's called campaigns. There not exactly recalls but basically know they are at fault but don't do poo poo until somebody really throws a fit in the middle of the show room .

Yup, shitfit throwing is the way to go. It's unfortunate that market realities have made this the most appropriate course of action.

Godholio posted:

That's better than Chrysler. My Pentastar left the factory with casting sand but it didn't work its way into my heater core (enough to kill it) until the 3/36 expired and somehow this doesn't count as a powertrain issue. The dealer also has no input whatsoever into this process, it's all their 1-800 call center people.

Hahaha wow, jesus christ.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Godholio posted:

never_buy_a_chrysler.txt

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
I need some advice on what to do in this situation. In my neighborhood there was a car parked in the street that I hit at a very low speed while backing out. I had hit the breaks at the last second and wasn't 100% sure if I had actually made contact. It was at night and pitch black so I could not look for damage, so I essentially drove around the corner to a gas stationwhere it was well lit to check for marks. I eventually found a very small smudge and scratch on the bumper, so I went back intending to leave a note. It was only like 15 mins later, but the car was gone. I don't recognize it as belonging to anyone in the neighborhood.

What do I do here? I absolutely want to find this guy and pay for any damage, but am worried if I call the police they might treat my excursion to the gas station as a hit and run and prosecute me for it. I'm also worried that someone in the neighborhood saw this happen and might call the police on me after they saw me leave.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

There comes a point when you've done your best. They're called "bumpers" for a reason.

Edit: go to confession, and maybe carry a flashlight in your car in case it happens again. Flashlights are always useful.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 25, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Xequecal posted:

I need some advice on what to do in this situation. In my neighborhood there was a car parked in the street that I hit at a very low speed while backing out. I had hit the breaks at the last second and wasn't 100% sure if I had actually made contact. It was at night and pitch black so I could not look for damage, so I essentially drove around the corner to a gas stationwhere it was well lit to check for marks. I eventually found a very small smudge and scratch on the bumper, so I went back intending to leave a note. It was only like 15 mins later, but the car was gone. I don't recognize it as belonging to anyone in the neighborhood.

What do I do here? I absolutely want to find this guy and pay for any damage, but am worried if I call the police they might treat my excursion to the gas station as a hit and run and prosecute me for it. I'm also worried that someone in the neighborhood saw this happen and might call the police on me after they saw me leave.

Mate, you've got the best of intentions but you've probably already done as much as you can. If you remember the make/model (I assume you didn't see the plate) and you see it again and it has damage on the side, leave a note. They probably didn't notice it if it left damage that small on your ride.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

e: whoops wrong thread!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geoj posted:

never_buy_a_chrysler.txt

Unless they make me a raging deal to trade this in for a new one (which is actually a possibility), I'll never buy a new Chrysler product again. I love driving the thing, but I hate owning it. I'll stick with older Jeeps next time I need one. A coworker just bought a new ecodiesel Cherokee, so I'm curious to see how that holds up.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My sister will not listen to me and is buying a 2015 Patriot. She looked it up on consumer reports. Their 2014 model was on the "worst of the worst" list. So she is buying a 2015 :commissar:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I was driving a rented compass in cali this January and we had to fill that thing up like twice a day. And it always sat at like 3k to 4k rpms and never wanted to shift (it was automatic obviously). Interior looked like cheap crap too, lots of gaps and stuff

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

My sister will not listen to me and is buying a 2015 Patriot. She looked it up on consumer reports. Their 2014 model was on the "worst of the worst" list. So she is buying a 2015 :commissar:

This is a very stupid Person, not question.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

tater_salad posted:

This is a very stupid Person, not question.

Yeah. Can't wait to hear about the CVT making GBS threads itself or something in the first year.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm a big dumb idiot. I've got a 2013 Honda Fit. I am looking to get two new tires (because I am dumb and didn't rotate enough to warrant getting the rear two replaced). I don't want lovely dunlop tires, in my past experiences dunlops blow. Was hoping to get a couple michelin or something on there.

Out the door, parts, service, labor, tax, what should I expect to pay to replace my two? I don't want to get ripped off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Knifegrab posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot. I've got a 2013 Honda Fit. I am looking to get two new tires (because I am dumb and didn't rotate enough to warrant getting the rear two replaced). I don't want lovely dunlop tires, in my past experiences dunlops blow. Was hoping to get a couple michelin or something on there.

Out the door, parts, service, labor, tax, what should I expect to pay to replace my two? I don't want to get ripped off.

It's pretty low-pressure to get a few estimates. tirerack.com should even give you a fully-installed total if you choose delivery to one of their affiliated shops.

There are usually buy three, get one free specials on decent tires. It might be worth considering doing all 4 at once.sometimes installer warranties don't cover an incomplete set, either.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

$25 per a tire is pretty standard install, balance, and disposal of old tires. The sketchy guy next to my work usually will do 4 for $40 if you leave enough tread he can sell them as trailer tires. Tirecrazy has really good prices on smaller tires since they have free shipping. Don't order tires without a shop agreeing to do so, a lot of big cities won't or charge extra.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hi guys, you were super helpful last time so hopefully you can help again.

My girlfriend's 2009 Jetta SEL 2.5L's A/C is not working.

It'll blow air (not cold) but it makes a "tinny" sound. It also makes the same noise when she turns it to heat. Any ideas?

Is it something she needs to take it to dealership for or is it something easy she can take to a local shop?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

On a scale from biturbo to tractor, how reliable/simple are late model ford ranger V6 engines? Both the 3.0 and 4.0 seem like wet turds as far as power and mpg, but I'm looking at used ones and want to know when the mileage is considered "high".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The 3.0 is a Ford Vulcan, and it's about as mechanically complicated as a cave person bashing two rocks together. I don't know about the 4.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Vulcan has a solid reputation. I abused the gently caress out of one, handed it down to my brother who was even worse, and it still got the window sticker fuel economy and suffered no mechanical failures beyond starters and alternators until it was sold away with ~150k.