Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Patter Song posted:

Glad to hear this. Going to do this.

Rondo of Blood taught me quite bluntly that I'm not pro enough to actually enjoy Classicvania. :(

I only played enough of Rondo of Blood X to unlock Symphony of the Night but it definitely did not seem like a fun level of challenge, a lot of memorization and gently caress yous to the player. I don't think this is just you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wow.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles was great game and is one of my favorite Castlevanias

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Play as Richter long enough to get Maria, and nearly every problem you'll have ever had with Rondo of Blood goes out the window forever.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lol if you can't beat Rondo of Blood as Richter.

Yeah, you will have to try again a lot but the game is like 30 minutes long if you don't die so it actually all amounts to a reasonable length and fun challenge.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rondo of Blood is awesome, but Rebirth is more like the original trilogy than Rondo. I prefer Rondo and I got good at that before I ended up beating it (and then I did it all again with Maria for kicks), but ReBirth is a cool experience still.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Amppelix posted:

lol if you can't beat Rondo of Blood as Richter.

Rondo isn't bad as Richter, really, but I can understand why people would have issues with him if they're not used to the "once you jump, you're committed" control scheme that is pre-SotN CVs. Maria's double jumps removes that one aspect and makes it more manageable, so I recommend her to people who are trying to better understand and experience Rondo of Blood for the first time.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

You can always backflip to cancel out of a committed jump with Richter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That only works to a certain point, once Richter is about 1/3rd into the jump you're committed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just lmao if you're not backflipping over Dracula's fireballs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Next weeks JP Wii U VC games: Majin Tensei 2 (SFC), Granbo (GBA, JP-only monster battle game from Capcom)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Next weeks JP Wii U VC games: Majin Tensei 2 (SFC), Granbo (GBA, JP-only monster battle game from Capcom)

So stuff we will never get here. Shame that we don't really get translated games on the eshop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are plenty of already-localised games we don't get, either.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

rondo of blood is the best castlevania game, prove me wrong

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are plenty of already-localised games we don't get, either.

There was that interview with Natsume a year ago that said that Nintendo goes to third parties and requests certain titles for VC and that NOA is done asking for NES/SNES games (leaving just the ones already in the pipeline, like those Double Dragon games that popped up out of nowhere a while back).

One thing that surprises me is that Nintendo of all branches haven't taken advantage of the "Wii Classic Controller games can be played on Gamepad" hook and put more of those games out there. Offscreen play on Gamepad is at least a minor selling point, and on Wii games it actually makes the game look better to be on the Gamepad's tiny screen where you can't really make out the lack of anti-aliasing as much. There's plenty of games that could take advantage of this, but as of now I think the only ones that have been released are RE4, Sin and Punishment Star Successor (and why wouldn't you play that with a Wiimote?), Pandora's Tower, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo didn't make a ton of CC-compatible Wii games and third-party publishers either can't or simply don't care to submit their own games for release.

RE4 doesn't even work with gamepad controls because the game requires you to have a nunchuk connected to get past the title screen but the Wii U initialises controller settings on game boot and there's no way to get it to manually recognise the gamepad as a CC.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia all exist whew that was easy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Okay

You can't play as Eric Lecarde & John Morris in Rondo of Blood

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

Rondo of Blood doesn't let you spam a button that makes the game say "Jonathan! Charlotte!" over and over again.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why are you all listing further reasons it's the best one?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is Soul Hackers fun to play? Does it have a good story? I loved P4G and liked SMTIV even though I didn't get very far in the latter.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Terminally Bored posted:

Is Soul Hackers fun to play? Does it have a good story? I loved P4G and liked SMTIV even though I didn't get very far in the latter.

Soul Hackers is fun, but it's dated. If you can get past the fact that it's a 90s era RPG and still feels like it, then it's a lot of fun and you get to do stuff like jump into a painting to fight a dolphin that's attempting to kidnap your sister.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

epsilon posted:

Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia all exist whew that was easy

This and portrait of ruin as well. But rondo is my favorite of the classical style.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I don't get all the love for Circle of the Moon. It was my least favorite of the GBA and DS Castlevanias.

Hell, I think I liked it less than the 3D God of War clone on 360/PS3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It has the best GBA bosses, but the card system was annoying. I like it way better than Harmony though, which might be the worst of the post-SOTN games

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've only played Aria and Order, both were excellent. I look forward to more good games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sarchasm posted:

I don't get all the love for Circle of the Moon. It was my least favorite of the GBA and DS Castlevanias.

Hell, I think I liked it less than the 3D God of War clone on 360/PS3.

It's a really tight platform adventure game and the only SotN style one with any challenge until Ecclesia came out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Alxprit posted:

I've only played Aria and Order, both were excellent. I look forward to more good games.

Those are prolly the two best ones but there's still lots of good games

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like harmony a lot because it was pretty simple and mostly linear. If you went the wrong way there was usually a health up as a consolation prize.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Patter Song posted:

There was that interview with Natsume a year ago that said that Nintendo goes to third parties and requests certain titles for VC and that NOA is done asking for NES/SNES games (leaving just the ones already in the pipeline, like those Double Dragon games that popped up out of nowhere a while back).

One thing that surprises me is that Nintendo of all branches haven't taken advantage of the "Wii Classic Controller games can be played on Gamepad" hook and put more of those games out there. Offscreen play on Gamepad is at least a minor selling point, and on Wii games it actually makes the game look better to be on the Gamepad's tiny screen where you can't really make out the lack of anti-aliasing as much. There's plenty of games that could take advantage of this, but as of now I think the only ones that have been released are RE4, Sin and Punishment Star Successor (and why wouldn't you play that with a Wiimote?), Pandora's Tower, and Xenoblade Chronicles.

how is it surprising? Nintendo's handling of the virtual console has been piss poor and loving atrocious since day zero. It's mindblowing that even as the WiiU dies, they still have the balls to shovel out garbage week after week. "Wasted potential" has been Nintendo's callsign for the past few years.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Nintendo virtual console is loads better than Sony's nonexistent one though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I should get an eshop card and splurge on some Castlevania games one of these days, buying La Mulana in a Steam Sale got me into that Metroidvania non-linear side-scroller groove again.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I know it's really goony that no one has said SOTN yet, because we're all special and need to be different, but SOTN is one of the best games ever made, and Rondo isn't.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love SOTN of course as well, but there's better Vanias in that style. I think the classic design was perfected in Rondo though and they're ultimately pretty different games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

The Nintendo virtual console is loads better than Sony's nonexistent one though.

Lol. Wait a minute. Are you not counting the PS One or PS2 classics line? Or even some of the PSP line being available on Vita? Not stellar but hardly nonexistent. They both could stand to implement their support better, however.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

+ they added trophies to the PS4 versions of PS2 games which is pretty cool

Please let me play Super Metroid with achievements

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fremry posted:

I know it's really goony that no one has said SOTN yet, because we're all special and need to be different, but SOTN is one of the best games ever made, and Rondo isn't.

Rondo has aged infinitely better than SotN, and SotN runs entirely on nostalgia, since it's inferior to Aria of Sorrow and is far from as good of a "Metroidvania" as Super Metroid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Get this, they're both fantastic games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SotN really is awesome, until the castle turns upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Edit:^^^^^^^- the upside down castle was not only super awesome, but totally blew my mind that they designed a castle that was playable upside down. That was not an easy thing to do, and an insane concept at the point that it came out.

Takoluka posted:

Rondo has aged infinitely better than SotN, and SotN runs entirely on nostalgia, since it's inferior to Aria of Sorrow and is far from as good of a "Metroidvania" as Super Metroid.

I actually think it's aged well. I play it every couple of years and the day I beat it on Richter mode about 5 or so years ago, I was out of my mind excited. I think some credit has to be given to it for having one of the best soundtracks and being the breakthrough game that coined the phrase "Metroidvania".

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2016