Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

shame on an IGA posted:

climb everest, or smoke for four years.

The Sherpas smoke like chimneys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

canyoneer posted:

The Sherpas smoke like chimneys

Yeah but tobacco burns at a lower temperature at high altitudes, preventing a lot of the deadly components from combusting, so it's much cleaner and somewhat closer to vaping.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I made that up just now but it sounds plausible enough to be believable I think.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

zedprime posted:

You could climb Everest, or you could take 80,000 doses of ecstasy.

I'd love to live in a world where ecstasy only costs 62c a pill

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Vaper shop owners are even lower in the sherpa social hierarchy than butchers and millers true fact.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

AceRimmer posted:

Vaper shop owners are even lower in the sherpa social hierarchy than butchers and millers true fact.

Sherpas and non fedoras agree on something

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Zo posted:

I made that up just now but it sounds plausible enough to be believable I think.

Problem is that combustion doesn't work the same way as a phase change. Combustion is releasing chemical energy through a chemical reaction. Boiling or sublimation (vaping) are both changes in the substances phase and are governed by different physics. Boiling and vaping happen without the molecules changing their composition.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

climb everest, or smoke for four years.

First person with lung cancer to summit Everest

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Zo posted:

Yeah but tobacco burns at a lower temperature at high altitudes, preventing a lot of the deadly components from combusting, so it's much cleaner and somewhat closer to vaping.

Yeah while they are hauling stuff to base camp a group of them will pay one or two of the village kids to follow them all day just nonstop hand rolling cigarettes for them all to smoke.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Zo posted:

1 in 100 is misleading anyway. Every year there are a bunch of super elite pros who are less likely to die, so if you're an amateur, even 1 in 50 would probably be generous.

Like our favorite Asian Canadian lady was probably 1 in 5.

does the stats include Sherpas or not

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

bitcoin bastard posted:

tbh if you use a charcoal grill while on ecstasy on a plane, your chance of dying might be closer to everest

If you are gonna do it, spent $100 to do it on the plane that flies from Kathmandu to Everest. It doesn't land, but you can drop those molly bombs while LOOKING at Everest through the window.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 26, 2016

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
If you made a summit push while you were rolling on dat Molly you prob wouldn't need as many layers, you could also suppliment your push with a bottle of nitrous

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

Some of the more cadillac climb deals come with hypobaric chamber time just for pretraining, to make the acclimatization at base camp that much simpler.

But you can't really spend 2 months in a hypobaric chamber 24/7, and altitude sickness seems to be an additive stress situation for those vulnerable to it, so sequential days at altitude with no relief can be the killer even if you can hop in a chamber every afternoon and everything checks out fine.

I think he meant spend a solid week in the chamber and see if you start to die,maybe climb away on a step machine or something.

With Wifi it wouldn't be too bad. First man to jack off at the top of a simulated everest.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bradzilla posted:

First person with lung cancer to summit Everest

http://www.today.com/health/hope-kept-me-going-cancer-survivor-one-lung-climbs-world-t73781

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Naxuz posted:

I just made it back from the corner shop, human feces and dead bodies everywhere I went. Saw the frozen corpse of my neighbour stare back at me from the sidewalk.

"Incredible experience. Would pay $60,000 again"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is this the new yellowjacket.jpg?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:vince:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ash1138 posted:

I'm talking about deaths on the field, which are generally considered to be "something has gone horribly wrong" so much like a skydiving accident. I'm sure if early deaths from CTE-induced health issues/suicide are included, it would be worse.

And then include all those deaths in the early days that nearly got the sport banned in America :getin:

I had a kid in my high-school die during a football game. He was on the sidelines and just collapsed from congenital heart failure. Does that count? He was in uniform.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

lmao one-lunged lung cancer survivors confirmed healthier than vegans

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Paramemetic posted:

lmao one-lunged lung cancer survivors confirmed healthier than vegans

:laffo:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

AceRimmer posted:

I had to quote this just to see if you actually typed "millers" or if the D&D word filter was to blame

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Nocheez posted:

I had a kid in my high-school die during a football game. He was on the sidelines and just collapsed from congenital heart failure. Does that count? He was in uniform.
If he played at all, sure. Like that horse that won one of the Preakness undercard races and had a heart attack and died on or after the winner's circle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

I'm talking about deaths on the field, which are generally considered to be "something has gone horribly wrong" so much like a skydiving accident. I'm sure if early deaths from CTE-induced health issues/suicide are included, it would be worse.

And then include all those deaths in the early days that nearly got the sport banned in America :getin:

Well, football players dying on the field is extremely rare now. Most of the time it turns out to be something like a congenital heart defect or something like that, where they could have been doing any strenuous athletic thing and dropped dead. So I think what you'd actually be interested in are deaths caused by football, e.g., injury-related.

I'm sure we are all shocked to find out that there is a Wikipedia article about Health Issues in American Football.

quote:

Catastrophic injuries—defined as serious injury to the spine, spinal cord, or brain—and fatalities are uncommon in football; both have become less common since the 1970s, although a small number of them still occur each year. Both concussions and catastrophic injuries can be caused by helmet-to-helmet collisions as well as impact against the ground or other players' knees; in other cases, they can be caused by players who have sustained a head injury returning to play, which can place the player at risk of sustaining a severe injury. Despite the downturn in catastrophic injuries, a greater number of players at the NFL level reported major injuries and shortened careers from the 1970s onwards, in part due to the increasing size and speed of players and the use of artificial turf.

The section Catastrophic injuries and fatalities includes a table showing all deaths 2010-12, from "sandlot", high school, college, semi-pro, and pro, totaled 11, or a little under 4 per year.

I'm no statistician but I bet that's comparable to the number of injury-related deaths in virtually any contact sport. In any case we'd also need some kind of metric of the total number of hours of play in the country in order to develop a useful deadly-injury-rate figure which we could compare to Everest attempts.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
you mean like micromorts?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Already linked to and discussed on the previous page, pr0k. That's specifically the metric I would be interested in calculating, but first we need to know how many hours (or days or whatever) of all types of American football are played each year.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

What is that little peak in the near background?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Glass Joe posted:

Lhotse maybe?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Glass Joe posted:

e: I changed my mind.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The death rates for skydiving are so low because they put divers through a ton of safety training before they're even allowed on the plane. For everest all you need is 25 grand and a massive ego, training optional.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
There is a surprising lack of 360 degree panoramas of Everest with all the lesser peaks labeled.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s Ama Dablam

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It’s Ama Dablam
Ama Dablam Camp II

:captainpop:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

TOP STORIES
Everest husband vows to bring 'hero' climber's body home

The husband of an Australian woman who died on Mount Everest last week says he cannot yet contemplate living without his "perfect" wife, revealing new details about her death on the world's highest mountain.
Fundraiser set up to help bring Maria Strydom's body home

Slow news day in :australia:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AceRimmer posted:

Ama Dablam Camp II

:captainpop:

Whyyyyy? I'm in the orange tent in the far background.

Anyone who dies on the mountain should stay there as a warning to others. Or at least have a law that states that any group or person seeking to remove a body from the mountain must first remove rubbish equal to that person's body weight from areas above where the body lies. Take your litter home.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 27, 2016

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
five bux sez it's a group of helicopter'd-in rich folks. as in, helicopter'd right onto that ... thing... and they're all "OK LADS, WE'RE HERE!!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Can't he just dip into all that money they saved by going with the absolute cheapest outfit available?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SynthOrange posted:

Slow news day in :australia:

Why doesn't he join her instead?

Also I like that she's a hero for failing to climb a mountain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mega64 posted:

Also I like that she's a hero for failing to climb a mountain.

I like this line of thought. It implies that I, too am a hero.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Platystemon posted:

I like this line of thought. It implies that I, too am a hero.

we're all heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Can't he just dip into all that money they saved by going with the absolute cheapest outfit available?

Plus, one less mouth to feed.