Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Trillhouse posted:

How is there still no gameplay for SQ42? How long have they been working on it and all we have is bits and pieces of cut scenes? They can't even put out a 30 second teaser with 5 seconds of actual gameplay?

Showing any gameplay would spoil SQ42 and Chris wants to keep everything a secret. Only someone that drank the Smartaid would imply that they don't show it because it's a buggy pile of poo poo.

e: missing cattes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dante80 posted:

Considering he "left" CIG for a demotion to senior artist on an Austin based studio...it was either a made up title or something really bad happened with him...

This is the guy who's daughter fell off the 40' retaining wall, right?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Most open game development in the history of world!

*Hides the alpha behind a pay-walled NDA*

*Refuses to release a single frame of graphics from their "soon to be released" epic singleplayer game*

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

Showing any gameplay would spoil SQ42 and Chris wants to keep everything a secret. Only someone that drank the Smartaid would imply that they don't show it because it's a buggy pile of poo poo.

I just had a thought. What if EightAce was serious when he wrote a couple weeks ago that Squadron 42 would be the greatest game since like ever? I'm not trying to argue that he's got the "right" answer to that question, I just think we should be able to handle conflicting reports more maturely than Reddit does.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

MeLKoR posted:

e: missing cattes

But even if it is buggy (which I'm sure it is) couldn't they stitch together SOMETHING? It's just ridiculous. How hosed is the development of SQ42 that they can't even put a few seconds of someone shooting in a hallway or flying a spaceship and shooting a little?

And this game is supposed to come out within 6 months? What a joke.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
There is a lot speaking for Squadron 42 after all: its star-studded cast, the enormity of its ambition and vision, the jealously guarded gameplay footage

It's easy to lose sight of what's right in front of you after all. Maybe 1.1m+ Citizens can't be wrong?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

We're constantly tearing down the "art" "direction" of this "game", why do people feel the need to always make a disclaimer "the employees are great, none of this is their fault" like Chris Roberts would have been able to pull this scam all by himself?

This poo poo game has poo poo art, good riddance to bad directors.

I think the 3d modelers are talented and that's about it. The art direction is terrible, the coders are all hacks.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

It's almost like history is conspiring with irony to make Derek Smart look right!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Ok that was a bit fun but now my lack-of-brain is all sweaty and exhausted

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Trillhouse posted:

But even if it is buggy (which I'm sure it is) couldn't they stitch together SOMETHING? It's just ridiculous. How hosed is the development of SQ42 that they can't even put a few seconds of someone shooting in a hallway or flying a spaceship and shooting a little?

And this game is supposed to come out within 6 months? What a joke.

It's either that or believing that they really are just trying to keep everything secret which would be a bold move even for the best marketing VP in the world since she was a little child.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

None of which transforms what he did produce from poo poo into gold. Yes Crobers is a tard but that doesn't make the rest of the people involved good as if by magic. What we do know is that the art direction is terrible, the extent to which that is the fault of the art director or the fault of the CEO is debatable but it can't be the fault of the CEO alone.

Yes it can be, remember the David Jennison letter?

Also do you live inside the US? We're all pretty much living paycheck to paycheck due to student loans/mortgages/health insurance tied to employer. We also work at will and can be terminated for any reason. It's called "At Will" employment.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
page 4000 yet?
I'm betting my unborn child that Star Squadron 42 is released by page 4000.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dante80 posted:

A comment on the "when will be able to play as female pilots" thread.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6687206/#Comment_6687206

Sounds like that would be uncomfortable around his balls but maybe that's his thing.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Lol, they don't think it's mocking Star Citizen? There are boxes of loving DONUTS in the room you first spawn in! In a space/goat game... How loving dense can they be?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MeLKoR posted:

If CIG was telling the truth (bear with me here), then the claim that showing any footage at all would be a "spoiler" is basically confirmation that SQ42 is made up entirely of cutscenes at this stage, and there's actually no implemented gameplay at all yet. This is consistent with CIG's ability to create a game.

Realistically, if they had 5 seconds of working gameplay to show, they'd be plastering it all over the place. They know they're losing people by the truckload. The inability to produce even the smallest amount of actual upcoming in-game content to whet people's appetites at a time they desperately need exactly that paints a rather dire picture.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Lol, they don't think it's mocking Star Citizen? There are boxes of loving DONUTS in the room you first spawn in! In a space/goat game... How loving dense can they be?

Can we get a list going of all the references? I haven't picked up the game yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to wind up on my weekend to-do list. There's just too much material here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The devs are Swedish, so it could be me, Tippis, or that other guy whatsisname begins with a B? Pretty sure it's not me though

I think it's you.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Scruffpuff posted:

If CIG was telling the truth (bear with me here), then the claim that showing any footage at all would be a "spoiler" is basically confirmation that SQ42 is made up entirely of cutscenes at this stage, and there's actually no implemented gameplay at all yet. This is consistent with CIG's ability to create a game.

Realistically, if they had 5 seconds of working gameplay to show, they'd be plastering it all over the place. They know they're losing people by the truckload. The inability to produce even the smallest amount of actual upcoming in-game content to whet people's appetites at a time they desperately need exactly that paints a rather dire picture.

and roberts/sandi are publicity whores. If they had anything it would all over the place to silence the haters.
100% agree.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yes it can be, remember the David Jennison letter?

Also do you live inside the US? We're all pretty much living paycheck to paycheck due to student loans/mortgages/health insurance tied to employer. We also work at will and can be terminated for any reason. It's called "At Will" employment.

I ask again, if all you have to go is a turd how can you claim that turd would be a loaf of bread if it weren't for CR? It's poo poo, someone shat it, the person whose rear end in a top hat indentations are all over the turd can now claim the food from which the poo poo was created was already poo poo to begin with but they still ate it,shat it, and signed it.

e: my point is that he might or might not be a good "art director" but since all I've seen is poo poo and I have no other measure of him I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the director of poo poo art might not be completely blameless for said art being poo poo.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 27, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The devs are Swedish, so it could be me, Tippis, or that other guy whatsisname begins with a B? Pretty sure it's not me though

…and I've been too busy ruining students this (and last) week for it to be me.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

No one is going to buy this game if it ever gets released. To a normal human being it looks like complete mediocre garbage. It's Space Game #33232.

They are doing nothing new or compelling, and the stuff they are doing isn't even polished or interesting compared with any single game released in the last decade.

The target demographic has already bought the game. It was dead as soon as it got removed from Kickstarter. I guarantee Kickstarter saw that coming and got rid of them so they didn't have to deal with all the backlash from returns and lawsuits.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Fried Watermelon posted:

No one is going to buy this game if it ever gets released. To a normal human being it looks like complete mediocre garbage. It's Space Game #33232.

They are doing nothing new or compelling, and the stuff they are doing isn't even polished or interesting compared with any single game released in the last decade.

The target demographic has already bought the game. It was dead as soon as it got removed from Kickstarter. I guarantee Kickstarter saw that coming and got rid of them so they didn't have to deal with all the backlash from returns and lawsuits.

What're you talking about

They weren't removed from kickstarter, they kept pulling in cash after the campaign ended

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sad thing is he makes better space ships as a hobby than 300 paid developers working together.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Wrecked Angle posted:

Very loving dense apparently. One of the NPC voice clips when you hit them can be "Star Citizen took all my money". It's really loving blatant.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

page 4000 yet?
I'm betting my unborn child that Star Squadron 42 is released by page 4000.

fyi, recent RSI TOS changes, that you automatically agree to by the act of reading them or even browsing the website where they are hosted, already have a prior claim on your first born and 15% of their entire future earnings.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

There has to be at least one goon in this thread that worked on Waste of Space. There just has to be - too many of the references are things a casual observer of the trainwreck just wouldn't know about - from the "Commando" references, the bunny costume, the "M'Lady" references, the guy tipping the fedora, the stretch goal for a space door, the gold vault having more money in comfort than in actually making the game, and on and on - there is so much, and so much of that was a humor focus in this thread and not necessarily easily found elsewhere. It's like a summary of this thread in game form. GOTY.

I was thinking of posting pretty much this, there's just too many really specific thread in joke references for it to be coincidental

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I ask again, if all you have to go is a turd how can you claim that turd would be a loaf of bread if it weren't for CR? It's poo poo, someone shat it, the person whose rear end in a top hat indentations are all over the turd can now claim the food from which the poo poo was created was already poo poo to begin with but they still ate it,shat it, and signed it.

e: my point is that he might or might not be a good "art director" but since all I've seen is poo poo and I have no other measure of him I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the director of poo poo art might not be completely blameless for said art being poo poo.

You're giving people the benefit of the doubt, life isn't simple black and white. At CIG I'd assume as with every company there are excellent, average and poor employees. In the early days you'd hand pick the best and employ friends (suck ups/family), as time has gone on I suspect it's a lot harder to employ the best and it's increasing noticeable that people being promoted internally don't seem to have any prior shipped games...

If I worked in the game industry I'd be looking to get out of CIG asap now though, this game is going to be infamous.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dante80 posted:

Considering he "left" CIG for a demotion to senior artist on an Austin based studio...it was either a made up title or something really bad happened with him...

Watching him on the old videos from 2 years back or such, he always struck me as the creative sort that gave no particular fucks, so long as he got to do a job well enough. So my guess is that there finally came a straw that broke the camel's back, he got fed up with it, put in his resignation and switched over to make a clean break, while his career still remained not too tainted by CIG's mark.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

cocaine dad show posted:

I was thinking of posting pretty much this, there's just too many really specific thread in joke references for it to be coincidental

Yeah, and I missed the DonutGate reference too. This is the Goat Simulator equivalent to Solar Plebian. And as someone pointed out, the NPCs actually mention Star Citizen by name. It's really awesome if you think about it - back in the day when Daikatana was tanking in similar fashion, there wasn't really the kind of transparency and Borg-like instant hive-mind communication that social media has brought us. As a result, we had to wait for it to fail, and then read about it. In 2016, we can watch it fail in real time, while games taking the piss out of it come out just to poke fun, etc. If you're a failure of a game development company, nowadays you simply don't have the luxury of time - you have to fail quickly, or get eaten alive while you ineffectually flail around.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Scruffpuff posted:

They do have working FPS gameplay. If you think even a lovely studio like CiG can't produce a basic FPS with 114 million dollars and 4 years of development time you are wrong. I'm sure they will probably produce a trailer with short spurts of SQ42 gameplay at some point this year. 20 seconds of Mark Hamill and Admiral Parp, with 10 seconds of counter strike level FPS.

The problem is that this is all a bait and switch. As DSmart says, they basically put SC on coasting mode to turn their efforts to something they actually can produce, which will be a lovely, uninspired, "Wing Commander"-esque FPS that they think will confirm for fans that the Crobbler is competent and following through on all promises. In a way they are right. Getting out SQ42 by the end of next year will give their most diehard fanbois an out to claim their money was well spent. It also gives CiG cover to let a few more years go by before their game is actually released.

2020 Star Citizen release with limited features (and maybe half of what was originally promised). Of course it will end up being a mediocre game at that point with old graphics, but Crobbler and Sandi will be millions richer and ready to retire at that point, or make a movie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I have to imagine the Space Court minigame would apply to SC as well.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

So you may wonder, how about that Skarp laser razor nonsense that set up a flexible funding campaign on indiegogo after being kicked out by Kickstarter for being a scam? Will they be able to keep their June 2016 delivery date?

Meanwhile, no one reported about the Kickstarter of a single guy offering a well made EDC keychain xacto blade holder.
He raked in a few tens of thousands dolares estadounidenses and shipped the product a month later.

Yes, i bought one.
Yes it makes for a handy xacto knife on your keychain.
Yes i stabbed myself in a finger with it already.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 27, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Guys.

Goat Simulator totally doesn't reference Star Citizen.

The NPCs shout "Star Citizen took all my money", "I'm so poor" and "My wife hates me and my spaceships" when you headbutt them across the room.

I don't know where the gently caress you're pulling all this poo poo from. It's mainly about Star Wars.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Achamp posted:

If you think even a lovely studio like CiG can't produce a basic FPS with 114 million dollars and 4 years of development time you are wrong.

Never underestimate what CIG can't do.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

It's weird to hear Karl's voice.

And zat, mein gentlemen, is how fee differentiate bezween gamas and poppee kuttas.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TTerrible posted:

Guys.

Goat Simulator totally doesn't reference Star Citizen.

The NPCs shout "Star Citizen took all my money", "I'm so poor" and "My wife hates me and my spaceships" when you headbutt them across the room.

I don't know where the gently caress you're pulling all this poo poo from. It's mainly about Star Wars.

I hope this isnt doxing but I found a picture of a citizen!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What's with the 60s hollywood manic left-right-left-right steering wheel wiggling?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah, and I missed the DonutGate reference too. This is the Goat Simulator equivalent to Solar Plebian. And as someone pointed out, the NPCs actually mention Star Citizen by name. It's really awesome if you think about it - back in the day when Daikatana was tanking in similar fashion, there wasn't really the kind of transparency and Borg-like instant hive-mind communication that social media has brought us. As a result, we had to wait for it to fail, and then read about it. In 2016, we can watch it fail in real time, while games taking the piss out of it come out just to poke fun, etc. If you're a failure of a game development company, nowadays you simply don't have the luxury of time - you have to fail quickly, or get eaten alive while you ineffectually flail around.

its a great time to be alive. I'd even go so far as to think the buggy chair for the goat is a 'that's him in the wheelchair' reference

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

CIG: The place people leave when they get a job they deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I feel like at least one person on the Space Goat team has to read these forums, and if you do, thank you for the most hilarious few hours I've had in a long time. Those spaceship controls almost killed me.

• Locked thread