Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
At least Oliver was stuck on a crazy torture island and then got recruited by the not-CIA black squad, Barry just likes killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Real question: Has Barry killed more people than Thawne? I mean, if anyone was gonna give Barry the "Now we're the same" speech, it should have been him. By killing Barry's mom he literally turned Barry into a murderer just like him.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Marky Marx posted:

By killing Barry's mom he literally turned Barry into a murderer just like him.

Oh, he's not like the Flash at all.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I still don't get time remnants. gently caress that stupid "speed force" lazy writing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The original idea was that a time traveler who dies still has to have done everything they did in their personal past that involved time travel, which in the case of Thawne involves multiple other time jumps that are actually in Barry's future.

They didn't go into detail, but it's conceivable Zoom did the same thing. He could have gone back to a point in time after he had discovered time travel and brought a time traveling copy of himself to the present. I suppose he could do that millions of times just by going further back a split second before he appeared the previous time.

Barry however seems to have only gone back a few minutes personally and ran beside himself.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

McSpanky posted:

Claudia Black as a bottle blonde with an American accent bordering on John Wayne parody.

Claudia Black? Well poo poo, I gotta see that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nullsmack posted:

Claudia Black? Well poo poo, I gotta see that.

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's still Claudia Black but the decisions they made about her presentation are just like... why mess with success?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Guys, I have figured out time remnants: When the speedster enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four Jays on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Jay nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Jays and takes the place of the first Jay. The formerly first Jay becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Time remnants work the same way.

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 29, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Guys, I have figured out time remnants: When the speedster enters the timestream, time begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four Jays on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the Jay nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Jays and takes the place of the first Jay. The formerly first Jay becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Time remnants work the same way.

Is it Jay if the balls touch?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The Dr Seuss book One Jay Two Jay Red Jay Blue Jay explains it pretty well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We should really count our blessings that Barry suddenly decided to not be satisfied with how things turned out and go back in time like that. If he didn't, he would've had to fight Jay's time remnant future son.

His, Jay son, if you will.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All Zoom wanted was for Barry to accept that he was Jay, and he died for it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

We should really count our blessings that Barry suddenly decided to not be satisfied with how things turned out and go back in time like that. If he didn't, he would've had to fight Jay's time remnant future son.

His, Jay son, if you will.

dad jay, so what

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I would of enjoyed more Tony Todd, "You've gotten faster GUUUDDD"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So other than Barry throwing a speedforce lightning at Zoom and getting clowned, what were the highlights of this season? I can't think of any.

Fake edit: actually the Reverse Flash episode was pretty good. But that's the only other one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

So other than Barry throwing a speedforce lightning at Zoom and getting clowned, what were the highlights of this season? I can't think of any.

Fake edit: actually the Reverse Flash episode was pretty good. But that's the only other one.

'Your toys, give them to me.'

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

King Shark

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Barry visits the Speedforce was pretty good, as was the season finale. The crossover was good too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Time remnants made sense to me in the Reverse-Flash episode, though even there, I don't think the whole "he was traveling in the Speed Force" part was wholly necessary to the explanation. I think it functioned fine without that. I think I sort of understand how it worked when Zoom was doing it to create doppelgängers of himself, but I can't recall whether he was taking copies of himself from his past or his future. I assume it would have to be the latter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The past actually. They could die with impunity because if Zoom didn't exist to take them from the past it would create a paradox, so he has to continue to exist no matter what.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see. That's an interesting way of doing it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It just seems kind of dumb to me that you could grab a doppelganger, have him die, and it has no lasting consequences.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The consequence is the time wraith comes for you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

boom boom boom posted:

I don't understand what Time Remnants are, how they work, or what their limits are.

So you go back in time 10 minutes or whatever. Now there are two yous there, the 'you' that is there naturally and the 'now+10 minutes' you that went back in time.

Now+10 You can run around a doohickey so fast he dies, which ends his personal timeline because he's dead. But because what he did changes the timeline, Now+0 You no longer has to go back in time 10 minutes from now in order to die.

Zoom did the same thing in that alley fight. The Zoom that died was the Zoom that came back in time, so when the 'now' Zoom killed him nothing changed (except we see how hosed up Zoom is in the head) because that death happened in the remaining Zoom's future (one which will no longer happen).

It's basically a huge time cheat.

Also, holy gently caress we're doing Flashpoint. :aaaaa:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

WarLocke posted:

So you go back in time 10 minutes or whatever. Now there are two yous there, the 'you' that is there naturally and the 'now+10 minutes' you that went back in time.

Now+10 You can run around a doohickey so fast he dies, which ends his personal timeline because he's dead. But because what he did changes the timeline, Now+0 You no longer has to go back in time 10 minutes from now in order to die.

Zoom did the same thing in that alley fight. The Zoom that died was the Zoom that came back in time, so when the 'now' Zoom killed him nothing changed (except we see how hosed up Zoom is in the head) because that death happened in the remaining Zoom's future (one which will no longer happen).

It's basically a huge time cheat.

This is the pretty much the only explanation that makes sense to me, even though it doesn't perfectly fit with what is said within the series.

Barry sometimes replaces himself when time travelling to the past (seamingly when time travelling for a short period maybe?) and other times existing as a double from the future, but I don't think the writers will bother to address this.

And the other inconsistency, I think that both Zoom and Barry explained what they did by "I went to the past..." which means that the "copy" that survived is the one that came from the future. Otherwise they would have said "future Zoom/Barry visited and...." . But that according to the above theory creates the paradox of a future self staying in the present and killing their past self which is "required" for them to exist. Thus actuallly rendering themselves as time remnants.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

AbstractNapper posted:

And the other inconsistency, I think that both Zoom and Barry explained what they did by "I went to the past..." which means that the "copy" that survived is the one that came from the future. Otherwise they would have said "future Zoom/Barry visited and...." . But that according to the above theory creates the paradox of a future self staying in the present and killing their past self which is "required" for them to exist. Thus actuallly rendering themselves as time remnants.

"I went to the past..." works if you're Barry and are used to thinking temporally. You look to your left, see another you, who proceeds to kill himself fixing the doohickey. You can presumably deduce that at some point in the future you'll time travel back to do it. But saying "a version of me from the future came back..." is a big mouthful.

It's not what the show describes as happening, but the way the show describes it makes no sense to me, so...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Time remnants are never going to be wholly consistent because they first came up with the concept just to have Reverse Flash come back "after" he died, and then later as some weirdo :techno: handwave to have Zoom be Jay, then finally as a straight-up speedster special meter attack. "I can't do that all the time, I have to have all 5 dramatic tension bars filled before I can use Ultra Crisis Reference #3."

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

This show is basically live action Dragonball Z and I loving love it. Even when it's bad. I was grinning all the way through the finale, and it totally made up for those episodes where i skipped through the pointless west family drama. I dunno, maybe I'm not as discerning as a lot of posters here, I don't watch a lot of TV as it airs but these silly cw superhero soap operas just make my inner child hop around while waving his action figures. I'm excited to see what grand cluster gently caress season 3 brings us!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mooseontheloose posted:

Barry visits the Speedforce was pretty good, as was the season finale. The crossover was good too.

I liked both crossovers.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Other highlights: Kevin Smith directing an episode competently (please don't let him write an episode!)
And those pants:

Also, giving Candice Patton more to do than pine over her lost love(s).

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Marky Marx posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that they redeeed the Pied Piper and we haven't seen jack of him since? He and Cisco would make a good power duo for the show imo.

The dude playing him is busy being successful on broadway, pretty much.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Was there an explanation about Zoom's eyes turing black/demonic when Barry tried to capture him?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AbstractNapper posted:

Was there an explanation about Zoom's eyes turing black/demonic when Barry tried to capture him?

You know the answer to this.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Chokes McGee posted:

You know the answer to this.
Darkforce?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

This show is basically live action Dragonball Z and I loving love it.

This was exactly what I was thinking when Barry got sucked into the Speedforce. Hero has to run until he gets his life/powers back seemed familiar.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AtraMorS posted:

Darkforce?

Writersforce, ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is Supergirl a good show? Or well, good and good with these DC shows... Is it as bad as Flash is, but not as terrible as Arrow?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's less plot oriented and more week to week, which has its advantages and disadvantages. It starts out pretty bad but does fix a number of the major issues by the end of the season, so we'll just have to see how far they backpedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Is Supergirl a good show? Or well, good and good with these DC shows... Is it as bad as Flash is, but not as terrible as Arrow?

Supergirl definitely has the strongest cast acting chops by far. Benoist kills it in ways that Gustin/Amell don't (red krytonite episode being a highlight)

• Locked thread