Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JossiRossi posted:

I love this show but do not know a single way to convince people to watch it aside from literal kidnapping. :(
I'm having the same issue. Last year people's stance was usually "I'll wait to see if it gets a second season", and then when it did, it was "I'll wait to see if it doesn't get canceled." On one hand I understand being burned too many times. On the other, I hate the mentality that a show is only worth anything if it has a series finale and the finale is satisfying and answers literally everything.

So does that last shot mean Cassie's the Witness? Or is it some kind of time-possessing entity?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
And we open with one of the side effects of Time Fuckery.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if The Witness' mask is suppsed to evoke gas-mask imagery?

Cassie's got some hosed-up poo poo going on. Deacon why wouldn't you let her finish her sentence?

Upon a close look, more birdlike.

Umm. O poo poo.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 31, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

I wonder if The Witness' mask is suppsed to evoke gas-mask imagery?

Cassie's got some hosed-up poo poo going on. Deacon why wouldn't you let her finish her sentence?

It's a plague doctor mask.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Was it in the show before and I just forgot?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Random question:

Did plague doctors euthanize the infected, the way James just killed the splintered guard from 1959?

Also, Ramse's son built a scale model of the entire facility from blueprints. He has detailed knowledge of it which he was using to lead Ramse through unknown routes through the place.

I was starting to wonder if he could be involved, past/present/future, in the sabotage of the time machine. explained

Then I was wondering if maybe Ramse's son was The Witness but it appears he was grabbed by The Witness and it didn't set off a gigantic paradox so I guess not?

Reply isn't Edit.

That loving house creeps me out. The entropy/entropy reversal is pretty striking, even if it's a little overused.

Aside re: Commercials. I really couldn't care less about this WoW movie.
Does anyone else think Jon Bon Jovi sounds just like Jack Black now?
"That's the power to turn back time, KYLE!"

Well. That poo poo all happened.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 31, 2016

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Well the Red Forest/creepy house exists outside of time. So maybe getting paradox'd doesn't happen?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The failed splinter experiment volunteers :stonk:

:rip: Colonel Tigh

Ahahahah Ramse you hosed over humanity and your son is gone anyways. Now I bet your son turns out to be mega Hitler or something. Maybe even the witness(but that would be kind of a lame twist).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
It's too rosy, but it'd be nice if that was Eklund helping Sam. :3:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dammit I was hoping Michael Hogan was long term on this show. Though I suppose another timeline change could always bring him back.

It's nice when they occasionally have an all-future episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a serious episode. I'm all for the kid as the witness, through excellent time fuckery.

RiP Hippy Tigh

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I doubt the kid will end up being the Witness. It just feels too obvious.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Man that was some creepy poo poo. The Witness was giving me some serious slender man vibes with the jerky movements and popping in and out of sight.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Snak posted:

Edit: haha holy poo poo this is Terminator. And it's so good.

Oh wow I would have recommended this show to you already if I had known you hadn't seen it.

It's one of the very few times when an adaptation becomes better than the source material, IMO.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was surprised my wife had never seen Jacobs ladder. If you liked that episode and haven't seen that movie, do yourself a favor and fix that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those Time Cronenbergs were amazing. I figured they were pushing Hunters back last night because it was especially gory, but 12 Monkeys beat it hands down.

sticklefifer posted:

Dammit I was hoping Michael Hogan was long term on this show. Though I suppose another timeline change could always bring him back.

It's nice when they occasionally have an all-future episode.
He comes back not remembering he died and now she's super happy he is back treating him like a spouse again :3 Kinda sappy for this show though.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 31, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Disappointed the kid isn't a Time Cronenberg.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

I was surprised my wife had never seen Jacobs ladder. If you liked that episode and haven't seen that movie, do yourself a favor and fix that.
I love that movie, but for anyone planning to give it a watch, enjoy it for the mad journey and don't expect too much from the ending. It didn't bother me, but it bothered some.
The reason it comes up is it was one of the first big entertainment pieces to feature the trippy blurry head-shaking effect. Also, Cassie seeing The Witness pop in-and-out for a few frames was very David Fincher's Fight Club.

I dismissed the idea of Ramse's son being the Witness because I thought the Witness grabbed him and didn't paradox. That apparently was Cassie under tether control, though.

When Sam appeared somewhere out of time (where we know the Witness resides) as shown by the year title card just randomly flipping through years before Sam's appearance, someone offered him a hand. Sam took it. Again, no paradox occurred. Whose hand was that I wonder.

Katarina had an ominous line after Cassie blamed herself for everything that happened this ep. "It wasn't your fault. It was mine. For that, there is a solution." Yikes.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 31, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

He comes back not remembering he died and now she's super happy he is back treating him like a spouse again :3 Kinda sappy for this show though.

I'd be all for that actually. The role reversal for Jones would be nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
XO Cyclops was certainly a wasted actor.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It's time travel dude, they can kill any character and bring them back as needed. Realign the deflector dish to emit temporal radiation!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yep, it was already stated that one of the doctors in the facility was dead in the original timeline.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Yep, it was already stated that one of the doctors in the facility was dead in the original timeline.

Still, they're trying to avoid changing the past any further. On the other hand I can see Jones refusing to lose someone again, and loving with the time stream for her own gain.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This show is certainly showing its Syfy origins this season, yikes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah this season is great.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Yeah, if you build a show on the foundation of time travel, you have permission to go hard on the sci-fi. Give me hosed up time-travel mutated people, it makes sense to me!

Also, I really liked the intro to the end scene with the 'Year XXXX' graphic that was distorted.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Yeah this season is great.

It's a pretty steep step down from the first season in my opinion, the last couple episodes have felt like filler episodes of the X-Files, complete with running around a darkened Made-in-Canada set with monsters and generic soldiers

Remember when 204X felt like a real, albeit dying world, complete with other settlements, and not just the woods/ warehouse closest to the studio?

Edit: Hell, even the camera-work feels like a soon-to-be-cancelled generic Syfy show. I was pleasantly surprised by last season and enjoyed it, but I'm not enjoying this season at all.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 3, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
^^ you crazy this season owns.

I like the "monster of the week" type poo poo

Has it been explained how the return trip works for tethered travelers? When Cassie returned at the start of this episode no one knew it was her returning. Do the travelers just "will" their back whenever they want?

VV thanks I totally forgot about the injection thingie

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 4, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

pahuyuth posted:

^^ you crazy this season owns.

I like the "monster of the week" type poo poo

Has it been explained how the return trip works for tethered travelers? When Cassie returned at the start of this episode no one knew it was her returning. Do the travelers just "will" their back whenever they want?

You missed the part where she took a shot to the arm then returned right after.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I called this as a "Monster of the week" deal when I saw the preview, and I think it actually OVER-delivered on that.
I would have been happy for a break from the main plot for some action stuff.

But Cassie was tethered to the Witness and took Sam hostage and sabotaged the time machine. The time machine is considerably hosed (and Ecklund died heroically), Sam showed off his skills in diorama class (which Jones looked at with considerable suspicion at the very end of the episode), the time-travel soldiers were previewed in the Year: 1959 intro, and Cole made Ramse shoot him..

And there's still that hanging line of dialogue from Katarina. Basically, "No Cassie, it wasn't your fault. It was mine; and for that, there is a solution." Sounds ominous.

I mean, yeah some of us were worried about the new plot but my worries went away the very next episode. This show owns and I've seen no decline in quality.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 4, 2016

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
The only thing that's bothering me is this stuff with the Witness, who is coming off as more supernatural than science fiction.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It did stop being just a Time Travel story once the concept of the primaries was introduced to the show. That aspect is certainly supernatural and therefore so is the Witness. If all the stuff that makes the show so good (everything from the music to the dialogue and direction, etc) remains then I am sticking with it.

I think I would have preferred it stayed strictly sci-fi but then again the line between Sci-Fi and fantasy starts to blur depending on the in-world explanations for its concepts. Perhaps the writers have a purely scientific rationale for how human life and time are interconnected (and if so I hope it's not terribly cheesy.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Dr. Faustus posted:

It did stop being just a Time Travel story once the concept of the primaries was introduced to the show. That aspect is certainly supernatural and therefore so is the Witness. If all the stuff that makes the show so good (everything from the music to the dialogue and direction, etc) remains then I am sticking with it.

I think I would have preferred it stayed strictly sci-fi but then again the line between Sci-Fi and fantasy starts to blur depending on the in-world explanations for its concepts. Perhaps the writers have a purely scientific rationale for how human life and time are interconnected (and if so I hope it's not terribly cheesy.)

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic, etc etc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but did we only see 3 of the 4 soldiers in the base in the future?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yeah I called this as a "Monster of the week" deal when I saw the preview, and I think it actually OVER-delivered on that.
I would have been happy for a break from the main plot for some action stuff.

But Cassie was tethered to the Witness and took Sam hostage and sabotaged the time machine. The time machine is considerably hosed (and Ecklund died heroically), Sam showed off his skills in diorama class (which Jones looked at with considerable suspicion at the very end of the episode), the time-travel soldiers were previewed in the Year: 1959 intro, and Cole made Ramse shoot him..

And there's still that hanging line of dialogue from Katarina. Basically, "No Cassie, it wasn't your fault. It was mine; and for that, there is a solution." Sounds ominous.

I mean, yeah some of us were worried about the new plot but my worries went away the very next episode. This show owns and I've seen no decline in quality.
You can look at the episode like a bottle episode but what it did was basically turn it into a huge character and plot movement episode. The out-of-time people splintering in were just really minor complications on top of the big one where the core is going critical and will destroy the base and Cassie coming back with the Witness in her head causing everything to go to poo poo.

Also even if Sam ends up becoming the Witness, whatever. I think time travel stories have been told to death where you'll see this coming a mile away but the show always seems to do right by the characters so I expect it to be all worth it even if it unfolds exactly as expected, because there's so much to work with Sam and Ramse and the kid's connection to the rest of the people in the base in 2044 alone that if this happens and the confrontation finally happens it'll pay off spectacularly.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Professor Shark posted:

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but did we only see 3 of the 4 soldiers in the base in the future?

2 got naded, the other two held up Ramse and then disappeared.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh right, duh me

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Apparently this show is currently on the shortlist to get axed due to poor ratings.
I wish I could contribute and be an official viewer, but they don't care about overseas ratings, except for when it comes to DVD sales....

Also this show in particular is one that lends itself to bingewatching, which is also bad for the shows week to week ratings.

If cancelled, I hope they at least wrap up the main plot in a nice TV movie.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Evernoob posted:

Apparently this show is currently on the shortlist to get axed due to poor ratings.
gently caress this gay earth.

Syfy hates sci-fi.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't need this series to last four or five seasons or more. I mean, I think it'll get old long before then no matter how good it is.

If they can finish it up in 2-3 seasons or 2 seasons and one special/miniseries then I trust the writers to make it worth the trip. I just hope it doesn't die on the vine like so many good sci-fi shows before it (and I hold this one in considerably higher esteem than most of those.)

45 minutes until tonight's installment, hyenas!

• Locked thread