Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
80% of this thread essentially amounts to no two drivers being able to agree on the correct speed to be traveling at, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

TotalLossBrain posted:

Observed on I-82:

lovely picture, but you might notice that the towed vehicle isn't really straight. At all. That guy flew by doing 75, with the Mustang (?) swerving back and forth behind the U-Haul, bouncing off the (bad) road like mad, too.
Maybe lock the steering wheel in a straight position next ime? Or, I don't know, rent a full trailer instead of a 2-wheel dolly?
I've never seen anything like it.

I assume someone told him that towing a RWD car long distances will bind up your transmission if the rear wheels are spinning, so he lifehacked it. Walla!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
FYI, its "voilą"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voil%C3%A0

After reading the last 2 pages of discussion, I want to brake-check abotu everyone in the thread. Including myself.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I assume someone told him that towing a RWD car long distances will bind up your transmission if the rear wheels are spinning, so he lifehacked it. Walla!

It usually only takes about 15 minutes to remove a drive shaft. Seems like a much better method then hoping your got your front wheels exactly straight. This of course is provided your frame isn't bent.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

nitrogen posted:

FYI, its "voilà"

After reading the last 2 pages of discussion, I want to brake-check abotu everyone in the thread. Including myself.

Check out the Lifehacks thread to get the joke! Walla!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
^^:argh:^^

nitrogen posted:

FYI, its "voilą"

FYI, its a joke mispelling that started from a "lifehack" image.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Javid posted:

80% of this thread essentially amounts to no two drivers being able to agree on the correct speed to be traveling at, ever.

add to that cyclists then I think you might be right.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

That's the other 20%

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Sorry for being an old fart, guys

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Saw some guy in a tree with his hood smacked into his windshield. I was horrified but at the same time, it's extremely unlikely it wasn't an operator error.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

The goon collective has determined that if you are being tailgated, you should exit the roadway immediately and take a five minute break in a parking lot to make sure you don't offend them further.

Also, if you see a road raging rear end in a top hat waving a gun at you, go ahead and brake check/ flip him off because you'll probably die in an accident anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe not live in areas where everyone around you is packing heat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Or maybe not live in areas where everyone around you is packing heat.

Lol where in the USA is that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

leica posted:

Not here. Note the cyclist even:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Glock 17 on my hip all day every day. Namaste.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PCOS Bill posted:

great redtext post combo there commando bill. :rolleyes:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Glock 27 here buddy!

:911:

Javid posted:

Everyone faster than me is an rear end in a top hat.
Everyone slower than me is an idiot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

PCOS Bill posted:

IWB? LOL who am I kidding?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

My father used to have a F250 that he had a tow package on, it had one some device that hooked up to the lights for a trailer, that also had a manual lever that would turn on the brake lights on the truck.

Every once in a while he'd use it to "brake check" some of the more egregious assholes trying to crawl up his bumper.

Also, just last week or so I had some jackass threaten to "fite me, bro" because I had the gall to point out that he was going the wrong way down a store parking lot (the word "dipshit" may have been used in my training opportunity). Some loving people.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MikeyTsi posted:

My father used to have a F250 that he had a tow package on, it had one some device that hooked up to the lights for a trailer, that also had a manual lever that would turn on the brake lights on the truck.

Every once in a while he'd use it to "brake check" some of the more egregious assholes trying to crawl up his bumper.

Also, just last week or so I had some jackass threaten to "fite me, bro" because I had the gall to point out that he was going the wrong way down a store parking lot (the word "dipshit" may have been used in my training opportunity). Some loving people.

You'd be surprised how well "Excuse me sir/ma'am, this is a one way," works. Though my favorite response to that has to be "I know," at which point they continued not giving a single gently caress, it was kind of impressive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
These are the roads we share the other people with :confuoot:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

How many of those "problem" left lane hogs have you personally "taken care of"?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

leica posted:

Most of it? Only about 30% of our population of 320 million even own one. The percentage that drive with one in the glovebox is probably even smaller.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Dave Inc. posted:

You'd be surprised how well "Excuse me sir/ma'am, this is a one way," works. Though my favorite response to that has to be "I know," at which point they continued not giving a single gently caress, it was kind of impressive.

My preferred form of communication in such a situation is to bellow "Hey, dumbass! Is the symbology utilizing big loving arrows painted on the ground too difficult for your tiny brain to process?!!" It doesn't go over too well with all the old farts I see driving the wrong way through the hardware store parking lot.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Most of it? Only about 30% of our population of 320 million even own one. The percentage that drive with one in the glovebox is probably even smaller.

Will tell pollsters they own one*

Geoj posted:

How many of those "problem" left lane hogs have you personally "taken care of"?

Zero, I live a life of non-violence.

TotalLossBrain posted:

IWB? LOL who am I kidding?

Drop leg, duh.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Glock 27 here buddy!

:911:

My hands are too big for anything smaller than the full size line, I hate it.

SneakyFrog posted:

great redtext post combo there commando bill. :rolleyes:

Um, thanks?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Zero, I live a life of non-violence.

"Hello", he lied.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MikeyTsi posted:

No fight involved, but at the grocery store I saw an old guy almost hit someone head-on going the wrong way down an aisle. Old dude cut his left turn way too sharp and nearly clipped the other guy, who was just laying on the horn with this whole :psyduck::wtf: expression. Old dude puttered past him and pulled a slow-mo 9 point turn to park, it was surreal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

My hands are too big for anything smaller than the full size line, I hate it.

Get that finger extension magazine. +1 finger, +1 bullet.
That thing is sorta painful to shoot otherwise. .40 S&W with a 3 finger grip... no thanks.

kastein posted:

These are the roads we share the other people with :confuoot:

What the gently caress is going on here?
Did they just plop a highway on top of what used to be an intersection.
and separate it with a sidewalk?

I need a maps link. My brain is all twisted trying to figure this out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It is in worcester mass just slightly northwest of the commuter rail station. Would link but I am on my phone and the maps app is infuriating to get a link out of.

Basically they completely rebuilt a rotary and several roads as well as a few intersections and demolished a few derelict buildings and a parking garage. That road got lost in the mix and ended up being a dead end one way road with a crosswalk across the end and various turn lanes, none of which go anywhere.

Welcome to Massachusetts!

E: it's not a highway, more of a large surface street. The highway is a few blocks east.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Get that finger extension magazine. +1 finger, +1 bullet.
That thing is sorta painful to shoot otherwise. .40 S&W with a 3 finger grip... no thanks.

What the gently caress is going on here?
Did they just plop a highway on top of what used to be an intersection.
and separate it with a sidewalk?

Try a PF9 with +P, thing is so snappy it'll tear up your hand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kastein posted:

It is in worcester mass just slightly northwest of the commuter rail station. Would link but I am on my phone and the maps app is infuriating to get a link out of.

Basically they completely rebuilt a rotary and several roads as well as a few intersections and demolished a few derelict buildings and a parking garage. That road got lost in the mix and ended up being a dead end one way road with a crosswalk across the end and various turn lanes, none of which go anywhere.

Welcome to Massachusetts!

E: it's not a highway, more of a large surface street. The highway is a few blocks east.

That's even worse!
Couldn't they at least loving paint over the lines or put up barriers or SOMETHING.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Found it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Street view ruins the fun.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...8022934!6m1!1e1

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
https://goo.gl/maps/SkF2TMcGMAF2

There's a date slider for street view now, you may need to update your browser for it to show up.
It's pretty neat, you can go back and watch trees grow or watch abandoned houses return to nature.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yup! That's how it looked when I first moved to Worcester for college, and apparently as late as 2007-2008, when I graduated.

e: hahaha I see what happened here. The streetview imagery from *on* that road hasn't been updated since september 2007 because it was blocked off shortly thereafter and I assume google's streetview cars are smart enough to not go down one way dead end streets. If you look from anywhere else toward it, you see the new version because those roads have been re-streetviewed, but from on that road, it's like you're stuck in a time capsule from 2007. Neat.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2016

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJOKM9GkVg

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Yay, lunchtime! :dance:

Sigh, lunchtime traffic. :downs:

gently caress, the police. :stonk:

Four-lane one-way major through street, crammed of course. I'm in lane 1 (leftmost), cop SUV is a few carlengths forward in lane 2 no wait, I'm moving forwards still as some loving hill hick in lane 2 has decided to come to a dead halt because she wants to make that left turn *NOW* and the zipperhead ahead of me also halts to oblige her, so now I'm even with the cop car. She turns, idiot ahead of me starts moving, I start moving, Office Ray Charles starts turning out of lane 2, only now flipping on his lights, WHILE STILL EXACTLY EVEN WITH ME. I nail the brakes, he nails the brakes and manages not to turn right into my passenger door, gives me a snippy look and I drive the gently caress on.

MOTHERFUCKER YOU HAVE A SIREN YOU CAN BLIP! MAYBE LOOK TO SEE WHAT'S AROUND YOU BEFORE MAKING THE SAME ILLEGAL TURN YOU'RE GONNA BUST HER FOR!

Oh wait, almost forgot: seeing the police actually doing something about a stupid-driver-in-progress. :confuoot: Wish I had a camera handy just for that rarity...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I saw the car behind me on the highway get pulled over. The traffic was literally stop-and-go so I have no idea what he would have been pulled over for. He wasn't even black :confused:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

totalnewbie posted:

I saw the car behind me on the highway get pulled over. The traffic was literally stop-and-go so I have no idea what he would have been pulled over for. He wasn't even black :confused:

Expired tags? Tail light out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of watching people get pulled over in rush hour traffic:

This interchange bewteen the 143 and 10 backs up every rush hour, big time (I've seen upwards of 1/2 mile). Only the right-most lane of 143S can be used to get on either 10E or 10W - traffic going to 10W exits first and then the lane goes over the bridge and turns into an exit-only ramp to 10E.

Because it's one super backed up lane, people are assholes and try to cut around it all the time. Mostly by driving in one of the through-lanes on 143S and then cutting over at the last possible second, but the other day I saw a lot of people using the shoulder and then cutting back in. Bad enough that a city bus parked itself in the shoulder to keep people from trying it.

Right as I'm approaching the ramp that splits off to 10W, I finally notice that a highway patrol officer has set up his Explorer right in the gore point, quite visibly. Check my mirrors and there's a bright red fifth-gen Camaro that is trying to act like it totally wasn't using the shoulder to cut traffic.

My lane kept moving slow enough that I got to watch the Camaro pass the officer, then immediately get pulled over. :hellyeah: