Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Huh, I'm alive. Imagine that.

The Fertilizer Hits the Windmill

Alright, I dropped off a butterfly-monster-turned-lolicon at the local clinic. Obviously, my next cou0rse of action is to go talk to an inanimate object. Has anybody checked Art’s medication recently?

This time your request is from Margaret. She wants you to learn how to use fertilizer.

I’ll forgive the scatological implications, but only because I desperately need this bin. Heavy farming depletes soil levels, and until I’m rich enough to literally throw corn and four leaf clovers into the dirt, fertilizer is how I’m going to stay in the game.

Also, it’s technically compost, so no actual scatological implications here.

Let's see...

"Have you been growing vegetables? If you constantly keep growing crops in the same soil, that soil's quality will slowly deteriorate. That's where a +Fertilizer Bin+ should come in handy! You'll be using various grasses as fertilizer. By keeping enough grass in the Fertilizer Bin, the soil's quality will improve. Oh, and even if you run out, as long as you let the soil rest, the quality will slowly improve. That's all. Nothing to it, right?"

Yeah sure, but that’s valuable crop growing time with the field left bare. I tried doing a crop rotation thing for a while where I only use two thirds of the field while the last third is left to recover, but that only works if you’re only growing one kind of crop (or many crops that all have the same growth time), and is mostly a pain in the rear end. Once I have all the fields unlocked, I will literally dedicate one just to growing weeds for composting.

...And there you have it. Well, why don't you try placing different types of grass in the Fertilizer Bin?

And so I did, and there was much rejoicing. The fertilizer bin gets to sit off to the side of my main field. One thing I think I’ve failed to mention is that every piece of furniture is breakable (although it takes a few hits), so it’s better to keep stuff where you’re less likely to hit it by accident.

Okay, the actual reason I came back this way was to see Venti, hitting the request box was just on the way.

So how did it go?

Well, I was attacked by a monster... and when I defeated it, it turned into a human girl. Do you know wh—

Not really sure I would use the word human to describe her… but we’ll get to that later.
What?! Are you serious?!

Y-yeah...

W-where is she?!

This reaction isn’t suspicious at all. Perfectly normal.

She's at the clinic, sleeping

Or comatose, I did beat her to within an inch of her life.

So...it really happened...

What...happened, exactly?

N-nothing! Just...mumbling to myself.

I couldn't believe that creature I'd been fighting just moments before was now a human being! If you knew something like this was going to happen, you should have said something.

I'm sorry. I wasn't sure how things were going to play out, honestly. ...What about your memory?

So far...still nothing...

Masterful change of subject there Venti. Art suspects nothing, and neither do we!

I see. Regarding the girl you saved... I believe the power of the Earthmates is responsible for what transpired.

Earthmates...

It's a name given to people with a very rare talent.

So rare that only Rune Factory protagonists have it. (Except Micah from RF3, he’s just the product of bestiality)

And it's the reason I thought you might belong to the royal family.

Not entirely unreasonable, Raguna from RF1 was an Earthmate and tangentially related to the royal family. Maybe. Probably.

I had no idea a power like that even existed, much less that I had it in me...

I've been asking for your help because of that gift of yours. Though I wasn't certain of anything until you fixed the problem in the forest. Hmm? What's wrong?

Who am I? What am I...?

It’s been a few weeks since he acquired amnesia, I guess it’s finally settling in that he has no past. Having an identity crisis is probably perfectly normal.

Getting attacked by strange people in the form of monsters...and apparently bearing the power of an Earthmate...It's all so surreal. Like I'm a stranger to myself.

I wish I could shed some light on the mystery. But there's only one thing I can say with any certainty. And that's...that you are who you are. I haven't known you for very long, but I already have a firm sense of what you represent. I know I'm the very person who's been asking for your help since you've arrived...but you managed to handle both of my requests and tasks as a model Prince.

Venti...

I'm sorry. I'm...not good at this sort of thing. I wish I could word it all a little better.

No, it's quite all right.

Alright, crisis resoved.

Hmm?

Having no memories is a little scary...But your words have definitely made me feel a lot better. So thank you.

...Glad to hear it. So, about the girl... She hasn't woken up yet, has she?

No. Jones told me that she should wake up fairly soon, though.

Then I guess we'll just have to wait until she does.

Yeah...

But, what will you do then?

Don't worry. I told you before, right? The people of this town are warm and caring. They'll welcome her no matter what.

What's wrong? Are you still worried about something?

No. I was just marveling at your optimism.

What? It's not optimism, it's faith! Pure, unwavering faith in the people of Selphia!

...I suppose.

I poke a lot of fun at this game, but Lest is absolutely right, the people of Selphia are pretty damned awesome. They are both excellent to each other and know how to party on. Dudes.

Though that may sound weird coming from an outsider like me...

What are you saying? You're a member of our town just like anyone else here.

Huh?

Unless...you don't want to be...

No, no, of course I do!

I just...might have to leave once my memory comes back...

Hasn’t happened to any of the other RF protagonists, so you’re probably safe.

Even then, you'll still be a member of this community. You're family now. Think of it as your second hometown, and know that you're always welcome here.

But if you leave we’re giving your farm to the bug girl and making her Princess. Ventuswill help us all.

Okay. Thanks...

I'm the one who should thank you for helping me.

I feel bad accepting all of these kind offers.

Then you can start by apologizing for falling on my head.

Ahaha... Sorry about that!

...That was just a joke. There's no actual reason for you to apologize. Anyway, you must be awfully tired today.
Get some good rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Nice to see you alive. So does the fertilizer bin act like you hoed a weed into each 2x2 patch of a field? It seems to drain inconsistent amounts of fertilizer from my bins, and I'll confess I've been too lazy to do any extensive testing on it.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I've always just kept them full -ish, seeing as it isn't hard at all to do so

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Kallev posted:

Nice to see you alive. So does the fertilizer bin act like you hoed a weed into each 2x2 patch of a field? It seems to drain inconsistent amounts of fertilizer from my bins, and I'll confess I've been too lazy to do any extensive testing on it.

The general consensus is that it's a steady 3 fertilizer per field per day. Which I swear, much like you said, it has never seemed that consistent to me.

It's not quite as effective as tilling dead grass into each square, but it is a small steady boost. The difference becomes very clear later, as I'll show when I start using the seasonal outdoor fields.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Beans Beans They’re Good For Your Heart

It's a lot of fun, but there is a whole big mess to clean up after.

Rune Factory 4 has the best festivals, because nearly all of them involve actually doing something, as opposed to just being an excuse to talk to everybody in town for some boring dialogue. The bean toss contest involves getting hit by beans. I’ll explain more when we get to it.

But let’s sit down and talk about something else right now. I believe I promised you guys an in-depth look at DIRT!

So in depth, we’re using a magnifying glass.

Okay, last time we talked briefly about how farming uses up soil and fertilizer restores it. These are the actual soil (and crop) statistics.

Crops
Crop LV: The level of the crop. Usually but not always equal to the level of the seeds you planted, depending on Quality. Cutting down a fully grown high Quality crop with a sickle can give higher level seeds than those planted.

No (Number): Unintuitive, ain’t it? This is the number of vegetables and or fruits you’ll harvest from this particular crop. Depleted soil will reduce the yield.

Grw (Growth): How far the current crop has grown. I’ve been known to rage at 99% crops not being done when I need something in a hurry.

HP: The health of the crop. Crops can be damaged if you accidentally whack them with your axe (while a sickle or sword or cut them down outright). Reducing a plant’s HP to 0, shockingly enough, will kill it.

Soil (some of these aren’t listed here because I only screenshotted a tile with a crop growing in it):
Overall: a rough average of all the tile’s stats, giving you an idea how good one tile is compared to another. Very rough.

Spd (Speed): A bonus to growth rate, this one has the least information available about how it works

Ql: Quality, a stacking boost to crop level. Raising this stat is key to leveling up your crops. Since it stacks on the crop each day, leveling up crops with longer growth times becomes a little easier (but still a pain in the rear end). This stat is increased by using Greenifier or Greenifier+ on the tile)

No (Number): Nobody is entirely clear on how this one works either, but it gives a rough bonus to crop yield

Sz (Size): You can dump chemicals on your soil to make crops planted in 2x2 squares grow into one giant crop instead. This stat is increased with Giantizer, and lowered by Minimizer. A size stat lower than 1 will make your crops tiny, reducing their yield.

Grw (Growth): I just love how they reused abbreviations to make this extra confusing. This one is growth bonus, a direct multiplier to the crop’s growing speed (it can go below 1, to a minimum of 0.1 (10x longer growth time) and maxes out at 5 (5x faster growth). Formulas A, B, and C directly increase this stat. Many crops also have seasons they prefer to grow in, which seem to give a flat 50% boost on top of this.

Health: This is the main stat affected by overuse. My best guess based off my observations is that lowered health directly lowers the other stats, and that Health is restored by time passing with the square unused, moreso with fertilizer. Increases rapidly when withered grass, corn, or four leaf clovers are tilled into the ground, affecting a 2x2 area.

Def (Defence): Storms can pass through and destroy crops, replacing them with rocks, branches, or stumps. Defence protects you from that. Like many stats, this one is based on health, but can be increased by adding Wettable Powder to the tile.

Most of those chemicals are purchased from your friendly neighborhood Monsanto representative the flower shop. They can all be crafted using the chemistry set.

But that’s enough about farming, let’s take another request.

"In order to mine, you have to use the hammer to hit minerals Minerals look like stones, and can be found outside of town and within dungeons. Do your best, and try to snag some quality iron!"

...Got all that? When you finish mining iron, come talk to me.

Simple enough, I’ll get to it shortly. But first, our favorite butler has some words to share.

He’ll have a description to give for every festival. I’m still not clear on how he goes about predicting a winner, he’s usually pretty accurate about who will win if I don’t, but he isn’t always right.

Now then, allow me to explain the rules for the Bean Toss Contest. Art, you shall play the part of a demon, and others will throw beans at you. Getting hit by green beans will give you points, while brown beans will give you even more. And if you allow yourself to be hit by the rare pink beans, well... AHEM! Pardon me, but that part is a secret. The more times you're hit in a row, the greater the number of points you will receive. However, if you're hit by a solid Failed Dish, you will lose all your points. In short: Allow the beans to hit you. Do not be hit by a stray Failed Dish. That is all.

Green Beans worth a few points. Brown Beans worth more points. Pink Beans worth a whole bunch of points. Each hit is worth the value of the bean that hit you plus whatever you got the last time you were hit. Failed Dishes reset your score to 0. It’s possible to recover after getting hit by a Failed Dish, but really loving hard.

This festival is weird. Fun, but weird. Next time, I’ll show it off.

BUT WAIT! Wasn’t there a new character?

Remember Art, if you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

How...are you feeling?

I'm okay.

Glad to hear it. I'm Art. What's your name?

My name is Amber. …Wait…

All of a sudden, I’m much less concerned with Art going to the special hell.

So...you're the one who saved me, then...

And then she pulls an ounce of maturity out and I’m right back to being worried.

Erm...I guess? (Funny face?)

Wow. Well, thank you very much.

You're...very welcome. But why were you out there?

Hmm... I'm not really sure. Really. My name is just about the only thing I can remember.

Oh.

And now the boy’s found a kindred spirit. Ventuswill help us all.

I feel like I'm forgetting something really important, though. Hmm... ... Oh well.

"Oh well"?

If I can't remember, there's nothing I can do about it, right? So, no sense dwelling on it!

I do like that attitude. But again, absolutely no concern that she might have had an actual life prior to being a weird butterfly monster being beaten to death by an amnesiac fake-prince.

Not a sentence I get to say very often. Rune Factory is weird.

Th-that's true, I guess...

Yep! ♪

So, what are you going to do now?

Now? Well...

There's no need to worry!

And now Illuminata is here. Look, I like having attractive elven women wherever possible, but how and why?

What's your name?

It's Amber.

A pleasure to meet you, Itsamber. And may I say, that's quite an unusual name you've got!

Feel free to insert your own Abbot and Costello joke here.

No, Lumie, her name is Amber.

Oh, I see. Amber, huh? Listen, Amber.

...?

Why don't you come stay with me?

...Hmm? That's a good idea.

Th-that's kinda sudden...

Yes, please, listen to the brain damaged man masquerading as royalty! He is the voice of reason!

Crap, I didn’t beat all the butterfly out of her! Quick, somebody get Forte down here, I need a meatshield! Somebody get ready to torch the building if I die, we can’t let her escape into the town!

Okay, I will! ♪

Whaaa...? Wings?!

How could I leave an interesting girl like her all alone? You, my dear, may call me Lumie.

Lumie, do we need to have a chat about the special hell?

Lumie! ♪

Good. Now, I'll show you the way home. Come, follow me!

All righty! ♪

And just like that, another eligible young lady has joined the cast. Harvest Moon and Rune Factory girls tend to look kinda young, but there is no way in hell that girl is older than 12. I need to go wash the icky from my soul now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think RF3's first festival was a bean toss too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the way it works is that while various plant drugs can change your soil stats, some of your Overall/Growth/Number/Quality/Size stats increase whenever you harvest anything. So while generally your dirt will become better dirt over time, the best way to cheese it is to grow apples.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't mind Amber as a character, but why in the world is she a bachelorette?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I've always wondered if Amber just sprouts butterfly wings from nowhere, or if she keeps them hidden.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I still wonder why Illuminata isn't. She's an adult in charge of her own shop, at least.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Rastan Beeza posted:

I've always wondered if Amber just sprouts butterfly wings from nowhere, or if she keeps them hidden.

I still wonder why Illuminata isn't. She's an adult in charge of her own shop, at least.

Every Rune Factory game has one hot unavailable unmarried woman. It's tradition at this point.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Truthkeeper posted:

Every Rune Factory game has one hot unavailable unmarried woman. It's tradition at this point.

For the longest time I thought that was the hot mama running the baths, but alas. :<

Also, I think that part of the reason there's at least one much younger bachelor/ette is because there are younger teens who play the games and having only adults or older teens for them to marry is a little, well, yeah... At least this way they have someone closer to their own age, I guess.

That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it so my head doesn't get hurt by the many implications of it not being the truth.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

silversatyr posted:

For the longest time I thought that was the hot mama running the baths, but alas. :<

I'm actually not sure whether you're talking about this game or the previous one, since you've got Ninja Mom in RF3 and she's the chat's hands-down favorite in my stream, heh. And yeah, speaking of 3, the bean-throwing festival is in there too. Really, almost all of the festivals have been pretty fun, and tend to reward you for practicing things like fishing and stuff.

I think as far as Amber goes, it's just part of games that have a "romance" system. You either have a handful of fairly complex characters and make players decide if they're interested (like the early Bioware games) or have a bigger variety of more stock archetypes so they get what they want (like these games, or if you want to be uncharitable; the later Bioware games :v: ). A lot of people like the cute energetic type, so there you have it. Can't deny that adding "young" and "is a butterfly" to that isn't :japan: as all heck, though.

Glad to have you back Truthkeeper :patriot: , I've been really digging RF3 but don't have any way to play this one.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Wayne posted:

A lot of people like the cute energetic type, so there you have it. Can't deny that adding "young" and "is a butterfly" to that isn't :japan: as all heck, though.

A butterfly that spreads poison and death everywhere it goes.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Wayne posted:

I'm actually not sure whether you're talking about this game or the previous one, since you've got Ninja Mom in RF3 and she's the chat's hands-down favorite in my stream, heh. And yeah, speaking of 3, the bean-throwing festival is in there too. Really, almost all of the festivals have been pretty fun, and tend to reward you for practicing things like fishing and stuff.

I think as far as Amber goes, it's just part of games that have a "romance" system. You either have a handful of fairly complex characters and make players decide if they're interested (like the early Bioware games) or have a bigger variety of more stock archetypes so they get what they want (like these games, or if you want to be uncharitable; the later Bioware games :v: ). A lot of people like the cute energetic type, so there you have it. Can't deny that adding "young" and "is a butterfly" to that isn't :japan: as all heck, though.

Glad to have you back Truthkeeper :patriot: , I've been really digging RF3 but don't have any way to play this one.

Oh, both works, but I was thinking about Lin Fa. I didn't realise she was actually married (and not, you know, widowed or divorced or unmarried) for so long. She and Illuminata are my pet peeves for non-candidates in 4.

Ninja Mom is definitely the one in 3 that got me annoyed, though. Why all the cuties not available? :< (I mean, not that non of the bachelorettes aren't cute and all, just... just some of my faves just ain't marryable which makes me sad. And there's absolutely no reason for Lumie not to be! I wanna go on detective adventures with my flower-shop-owning detective wife! ;.; )

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. Fetus posted:

Art really doesn't look much older than 12, himself. Either that or he's bogarting all the honeyglow.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The More You Eat the More You Punch Things In the Face

I should really give a quick status update at the beginning of these things. This sums things up pretty well I think. 9 days in, the first dungeon complete, a nice bit of change in my pocket, wood and stone stockpiles are piling up. I’ll need a lot more prince points, but now that I’ve beaten the poo poo out of Amber, I can rekill her once per day for 20 points each time.

It takes a while to build up enough points to do anything useful.

So what does Amber think about her new situation? Going from being a giant butterfly monster to living with hot elf Holmes must be a bit of a shock.

It's the funny-face person! ♪

Um, it's Art.

Huh?

My name. It's Art.

... Ohh!

...Do you understand now?

Yep! I finally get it.

That's...good.

So, um, Art?

The girl can learn!

Yes?

Thanks.

For what?

So...thank you.

You're welcome.

Oh, and... I'm really glad to meet you!

Same here!

She’s a cute kid with a good heart. But I feel I must emphasize KID!

So, a while back, before my mysterious hiatus, we took a little informal vote about weapons. A lot of people wanted to see me punch and suplex my way through this game.

Arthur has heard you apparently. I’ll show this off in a bit, but first, we have business to take care of. Bean Business.

And this year's favorite to win is--- She who is cleverly clumsy, Xiao Pai!

Gee Mr. Volkanon, thanks for the vote of confidance.

So the Bean Toss contest. It’s loving hard. As long as you avoid getting hit by a failed dish, you can usually score decently, but decent doesn’t cut it, It’s possible to outrun a failed dish, you move very slightly faster than the dishes and beans move. But if you’re running from dishes, you aren’t getting pelted by beans. I’m in this for prizes. I need to get hit a lot.

This is the basic layout, 3 villagers stand at the top and throw beans or failed dishes, either straight or at a 45 degree angle. They can throw multiple projectiles at once, and throw more rapidly as time passes.

The last ten seconds is kind of a mad blast of beans and plates flying everywhere.

The contest has ended! I shall now announce the results. In third place…

I like the little drumroll that rolls just before he announces each of these. I like it because I imagine Venti is drumming on the floor behind him to make it.

Mrrng… and I was so close too!

No man, you really weren’t. Although he scored better than I did in my first attempt tonight.

I could have done better, but I guess I was having an off night. I’ll do better next time. I think my personal best was around 14000, several playthroughs ago.

I’d hoped for first, but Xiao Pai apparently wanted it a lot more. This was my best attempt after 5 tries.

These events get harder with each passing year, so I’ll have to work harder to beat it in Year 2.

Well done, everyone! Don't forget to bring your prizes home.

These prizes are less than impressive though. The juice is a glass of juice, nothing special. The boots are worthless. The cooking bread has some value, being how I learn new cooking recipes. First place would have netted me a bigger stack of bread and a random stat increasing item.

Well, guess that’s it, Nothing else to see here, right?

Well, I guess there was that one other thing.

The basic glove move is a punch, barely visible really. I have 5 points in fists skill, so I can execute a 4 move combo ending in a jump-kick, but I had too much trouble screenshotting that, I’ll try and get one another time. What you came to see is this.

Enemies are stunned after you suplex them, so you can chain that over and over again. Except anything it works on will usually be dead after one or two hits.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 8, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wrestling is more about the collateral damage than the target, really. Does some good AoE. At least in 3, but I assume they'd keep it or build on it.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

You've got this set up as a link, rather than an image.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Amber is literally a Touhou.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Zagglezig posted:

You've got this set up as a link, rather than an image.

Thanks for pointing it out, I thought I caught all of those. A valuable lesson in why I should never leave the URL parse checkbox checked.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wrestling is more about the collateral damage than the target, really. Does some good AoE. At least in 3, but I assume they'd keep it or build on it.

Very true, and it makes up for the fists otherwise lacking ability to hit multiple targets (usually, but wait until I start showing off fancy weapon upgrades in Act 3). But I find enemies tend not to be polite enough to group up enough for me to hit more than one with whatever I'm slamming.

As much as the collateral damage, I'd say the ability to keep some monsters stun-locked is it's own reward. It's pretty much how I manage to beat Maze bosses at early levels, combined with a high critical hit boost.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

I’ll need a lot more prince points, but now that I’ve beaten the poo poo out of Amber, I can rekill her once per day for 20 points each time.

If you leave before the particle effect disappears you can re-fight any boss as many times a day as you want. I think you need to use the escape spell to do it.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Very true Mastersord, but that's cheating and I will not abide by it. Until I change my mind and decide it's perfectly okay.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Very true, and it makes up for the fists otherwise lacking ability to hit multiple targets (usually, but wait until I start showing off fancy weapon upgrades in Act 3). But I find enemies tend not to be polite enough to group up enough for me to hit more than one with whatever I'm slamming.

As much as the collateral damage, I'd say the ability to keep some monsters stun-locked is it's own reward. It's pretty much how I manage to beat Maze bosses at early levels, combined with a high critical hit boost.

Don't forget that wrestling is for some reason considered love elemental damage, and is in fact one of the only sources of it in the game besides a few staves that aren't remotely endgame viable unless you interact with the crafting system to an enormous degree. Admittedly, this is mostly useful insofar as it is an element at all rather than being love element specifically, but still.

Anyway, I just got an amusing glitch involving broken dialog flags. (Pretty much all of this game's glitches involve broken dialog flags) It was the day before Forte's birthday, but apparently the whole town outside of Amber, Xiao Pai, Margaret, Kiel, and a bachelorette we haven't met yet (but including Forte herself) collectively decided it was Ventuswill's birthday instead. What made it amusing was that none of the lines for Ventuswill actually specifically mention it being her birthday, so it was like everyone was snubbing Forte and talking about giving presents to Ventuswill for no apparent reason.

Then the next day (during which Forte thankfully accepted her present) I finally triggered the last prereq event I needed for Margaret's pre-marriage event.

It was the one where she lets you call her by her nickname.

We've been dating for over a year. :negative:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Don't forget that wrestling is for some reason considered love elemental damage, and is in fact one of the only sources of it in the game besides a few staves that aren't remotely endgame viable unless you interact with the crafting system to an enormous degree. Admittedly, this is mostly useful insofar as it is an element at all rather than being love element specifically, but still.

I actually did not know that. Now I'm gonna have to find a physical-immune gate and suplex a monster into it.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Anyway, I just got an amusing glitch involving broken dialog flags. (Pretty much all of this game's glitches involve broken dialog flags) It was the day before Forte's birthday, but apparently the whole town outside of Amber, Xiao Pai, Margaret, Kiel, and a bachelorette we haven't met yet (but including Forte herself) collectively decided it was Ventuswill's birthday instead. What made it amusing was that none of the lines for Ventuswill actually specifically mention it being her birthday, so it was like everyone was snubbing Forte and talking about giving presents to Ventuswill for no apparent reason.

I've had this happen a time or two.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Stand Clear, Venti Needs to Take an Infodump

With Amber around now, naturally there’s something very important I should have done before.

quote:

Amber
Voice: Cassandra Morris

Butterfly Girl

I’m doing pretty poorly at recognizing voice actors, which is about normal for me, but Ms. Morris here has a pretty impressive video game resume. As for Amber, we’ve already established my major objection to her, right?

SHE IS A CHILD

Good, now that that’s out of the way, what else is there? She’s a sweet kid, friendly to everybody, keeps a stiff upper lip in tough situations, wants to help, fun and energetic. She’s also immature, acts without thinking, and has a tendency to pop out insect parts at odd times. And she can’t even fly with those wings. Amber is one of the few people who actually gets to connect emotionally with Illuminata (and physically when she gets slapped one time), and humanizing (elfizing?) the mysterious hot elf chick is always nice. Amber makes an effort to better herself and help out around town, she quickly adopts this place as her home. Oddly enough for someone so energetic, she naps a lot, especially in sunny spots. She enjoys juice and flowers, and her favorite gift is the ridiculously hard to come by Emery Flower.

In combat, Amber wields hammers fairly effectively, takes reduced damage from Earth spells, and starts learning her Boss abilities as she levels up (I think she starts with the sleep dust cloud, but she doesn’t use it very often as I recall). At least one guide recommends equipping her with a watering can, but farm implements were only effective weapons in the early games.

I shouldn’t have knocked the grape juice, it turned out to be exactly what I needed. And increased my Eating skill.

Kids, did I ever tell you that dungeons have teleporters that take you from beginning to end (or more teleporters across multiple floors in big dungeons)?

Sadly, bosses can’t be knocked down, and so can’t be suplexed. Still, a fairly easy takedown without Forte’s help.

And this Thorn right here makes that 45 seconds of effort worthwhile. I’ll go into detail later, once I have a forge, but the short version is that it adds a chance to inflict sleep on hit when I use it to upgrade my equipment.

One interesting tidbit about the villagers is that they like to talk about ongoing events.

When I first went to the forest, everybody talked about it and told me to be careful, for example.

Other things they like to talk about include festivals and new neighbors. I’m not sure how the game decides which they’ll talk about, except that anybody I’ve already talked to about Amber moving into town is talking about the festival, but everybody else is apparently left up to chance.

And that was the end of another day.

Spuds for the Spud God!

But this conversation is really the meat of the update.

Oh, Art.

What are you all doing here?

We came to ask Lady Ventuswill for some assistance.

Assistance? With what?

Yeah, I know. The voice acting for the protagonists kinda bugs me too.

Actually, I think she’s talking about something else.

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh!! Cut it out, Granny Blossom!

Hee hee hee...

I'm not sure I'm familiar with these "cursed voices." What's the story behind them?

People have been reporting creepy voices echoing through the town every night lately.

Cursed voices in the night...

Erm...no, that's not very likely, is it? But if it's not sleep-talking, then...what else could it be...? That's it! It must be Venti howling into the lonely wind...

Yeah, I’m just casually blaspheming here, NBD. Art’s gonna get himself lynched at this rate.

... All joking aside... Art, have you heard these voices?

No, I haven't.

So it may just be a rumor, then?

It is! It has to be!

Or maybe Art just hasn't experienced it. It could still be true, th—

Waaaaaggghhhhhh!!

Margaret, you are an attractive and vivacious young lady of indeterminate age. Please stop screaming every time somebody mentions something a little scary.

So why are you guys here, again?

Well, this is just a rumor, too, mind you...But it seems someone found out where those voices were coming from.

Yeah, I was told they were coming from the ruins in the southeast!

There're so many monsters there, though, that no one ever gets anywhere near the place.

Strange stuff, eh? We might just have to admit... that it's really a curse!

Blossom is clearly only here to screw with Margaret. Old lady has to get her kicks where she can, not gonna fault her for that.

G-G-G-Granny Blossom!!

Fortunately, there hasn't been any damage in the town just yet. But if the rumor spreads too far, it could be a huge blow to tourism. That's why we came to ask Lady Ventuswill for assistance.

We know it's not good to rely on her to solve all our problems. But Margaret was so scared, she practically begged us to come.

I-I w-w-was not s-scared!!

Of course not dear. Now go play with your blocks, the grownups are talking.

Of course, then Venti had to butt in. Or rather, Lady Ventuswill, the booming bomber.

Cursed voices, you say? I have an idea what it may be. Please, put it out of your minds. I'll handle this matter myself.

You...will?

Yaaay! Now I can finally get some sleep!

Admit it. You were scared to death.

I-I was not!!

Thank you very much, Lady Ventuswill.

Thank you very much!

Many thanks from me as well, Lady Ventuswill.

And then they all left, confidant that their God-Dragon-Mayor-King will protect them from the voices.

So...you have an idea what it might be? Would you mind elaborating? ... Venti?

Grrr…

Wh-what the...?!

I think you’ve displeased the King-Dragon-God. I suggest throwing yourself to the ground in supplication. She’s so angry she’s yelling at you in her girly voice!

I should really get a different Venti face shot so I can switch based on which voice she’s using.

Who do you think you are, anyway? Do you have some sort of grudge against me? Something to prove, maybe?!

Wh-what did I do?

To think that anyone could confuse my "howling" for a cursed voice! What am I? A wolf? A dog?! Look me in the eyes and say that again!

O-oh, you heard that, huh...?

I'm right in front of you! And you weren't exactly whispering. How could I NOT have heard that?!

Lest, she is going to eat you.

Imbecile... And on top of everything else, you used my nickname in the presence of others!

Sorry, sorry!

Not sorry.

Hmph.

Can you forgive me?

I said I'm sorry.

Yes, but did you mean it?

I did! I'm really, truly sorry!

You're certain you meant it? Every last groveling, sniveling syllable?

Absolutely! From the bottom of my heart!

Venti you lazy sack of poo poo. You never had any intention of checking on this yourself. You are the worst God ever, the worst Kingever, and not even a very good dragon.

Sure, I can go-- Wait, why?!

Consider it punishment for your insolence. Now go!

But...didn't you just say you'd handle this?

I'd like very much to look into this matter with my own eyes, yes. But I really shouldn't be away from the castle.

I can look after the castle in your place, you know.

It’s not even much of a castle. One large bedroom, three small bedrooms, and a bigass throne room that stinks like dragon.

A Native Dragon could never be replaced by the likes of a human such as you!

That is... exactly what you’re doing by dumping your responsibilities on me.

I've been meaning to ask, actually...What's a Native Dragon?

I’m sure any of you reading along who aren’t familiar with the series wondered the same thing, but took my Dragon-God-King jokes as a good enough explanation. This is the 6th game in the series, and the one that finally explains how the gently caress Dragon Gods work.

...?! ...You can't be serious. Do you really not know what the Native Dragons are?

W-well, I did lose my memory, after all!

You truly are hopeless.

Literal brain damage here lady!

*SIGH* Allow me to explain, then. Listen carefully, Art! In this world, there are four dragons regarded as gods.

I’ll let Venti explain what each Dragon is, and I’ll give some brief background of their appearances in previous games for those of you unfamiliar.

Terrable was the final boss of RF1, recently reborn and summoned by the Sechs Empire because seriously, who doesn’t want control of a Dragon-God-King. Well, only Ventuswill seems to rule over anything, so I guess the rest aren’t kings. Terrable was pretty cool about the whole dying at Raguna’s hands thing, and came back afterward to wipe out the Sechs’ army, ruining the Emporer’s plan to conquer Norad. Which would have involved conquering Selphia. Which would involve killing Ventuswill. Emperor Ethelbird is an idiot who doesn’t think things through.

Fiersome was the final boss in RF2. Not such a cool dude, has to be resealed every so often to keep him from wrecking poo poo. He’s basically the God of Natural Disasters, with Terrable bringing forth new life after Fiersome burns everything. The RF2 protagonist Kyle sacrificed himself to bind Fiersome’s spirit, and died with the dragon as a result, but was dragged back from the Forest of Beginnings when his kid used the ancient spell Omni-Gate.

Aquaticus is the major rear end in a top hat final boss of RF3. “I totally just kidnapped your fiance to test the bonds of your love” my rear end. He wanted proof that love could exist between a human and a monster (despite Micah being human most of the time, with the ability to change into a Wooly. Which was never explained at all, and I still attribute it to bestiality), and that humans and monsters could live alongside each other.

And then there's me.

And then there are also ordinary dragon monsters, and Grimoire, a dragon boss from the first game who’s somehow related to Terrable, and Arch-Dragons from Tides of Destiny… look, this series has lots of dragons, and sometimes they’re more important than others.

Since the earliest eras of antiquity, the four of us have been collectively referred to as the Native Dragons. Are we on the same page now?

I think I have an idea what the Native Dragons are, yes. But if you're a god, then why don't you handle this problem like you said you would?

Do you think I should solve everything for the humans?

Only the things you promised them you would solve. Lazy loving Gods these days.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. What humans can accomplish on their own should be accomplished solely by humans. I will lend my aid when the time is right for me to do so. Then, and only then. That's what it means to be a god. Also...to be honest, you're perfectly suited to this particular case. There exist special locations in this land known as Rune Spots. These are places where Runes tend to be found in high concentrations. And there are four such spots around here. The place where Amber was found is one of them. And there's another in the Water Ruins. Perhaps a monster or monsters are causing trouble there, just like in Yokmir Forest. Art... As an Earthmate, I need your help. Will you accept this mission on my behalf?

Well...

Come, now, don't be stingy!

Oh, fine...

First, go to the forest full of mushrooms south from the town. Then, head east and you'll find a bridge. Cross the bridge and you'll soon arrive at the Water Ruins. Did you get all that?

Okay. Got it.

That's my Art. If you lose your way, feel free to come ask me again anytime. And don't forget, there are monsters along the way, and in the ruins as well.

And so we have a quest.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 12, 2016

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Truthkeeper posted:

I've been meaning to ask, actually...What's a Native Dragon?

This should be Lest's image.

Venti has the most :3: animation here. She brushes her tail against her face and preens her feather wings.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Rastan Beeza posted:

This should be Lest's image.

Noted and corrected.

And I do agree on the subject of Venti being adorable there. Aquaticus probably has the most badass animation, but loses points because I don't like him. Terrable and Fiersome are just kinda "Derp I am dargon hear me RAWR!"

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Truthkeeper posted:

Terrable was the final boss of RF1,

Fiersome was the final boss in RF2

Aquaticus is the major rear end in a top hat final boss of RF3.

And then there's me.

I'm noticing a foreboding pattern here.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Every Day is Tax Day

Enough prince points that I could conquer the world… well, maybe a shack.

Knocked out a request to harvest a bunch of turnips, unlocking more seeds. I’ll still keep planting turnips and potatoes, which are the big moneymakers for now.

The new seeds are pink turnips. They’re more expensive, take longer to grow, but sell for more. These will come in handy (much, much later), but I just planted a few to show off for now.

But that’s enough putzing about around town, Ventuswill gave me a quest! The Water Ruins are south from town, past the woods.

Past the fallen trees that have been blocking the path. Ah well, nothing to be done for it. Maybe it’s time to seek my new calling in life. Porcoline could probably use a fry cook.

Or maybe Volkanon could use a third apprentice. They call me… Prince Butler! Butler Prince? Prince of the Butler Men?

Not pictured because I have poor reflexes sometimes: Volkanon knocking the fallen trees aside with nothing but sheer manliness.

What in the world? Um...was he just passing through?

Noooo!! Your Majesty!! Your Majesty! Are you okay?!

I'm...all...right...

I'm terribly sorry. When I heard you were going to the ruins...I thought the tree might be in your way, so I came to dispose of it. Perhaps not the best reason to be out here, but nonetheless... it is my reason. Oh! I almost forgot. Here. This is for you.

This is not the first time I’ve purchased something mere days before it would be given to me, and won’t be the last.

What are these?

They're my favorite gloves. I'm sure they'll come in handy.

Are they for farming?

They're for combat! You certainly do have farming on the brain, though, it seems.

Not...really.

I do. I spent three loving years farming while waiting for Act 3 to begin one playthrough.

After you stun monsters with fist weapons, you can lift them up and throw by pressing (A)! Throwing does a lot of damage, but also consumes a lot of RP, so be careful!

Why do I bother explaining things myself when I have Mr. Volkanon to do it for me?

I would definitely recommend mastering the use of fists.

And then he was gone, as swiftly as he appeared.

So! New territory to explore! Strange new lands, exciting monsters, a quest that still needs doing!

Phat lewt, as I believe the kids call it these days. A few bags of lovely flower seeds and my first RUNE ABILITY.

Rune abilities are mostly unimpressive. They’re special weapon skills, each one meant for one weapon, but able to be used with others for an increased RP cost. This one is power wave, a short sword skill that shoots a short range energy blast, in this case, out of my fist. This sounds a great deal cooler than it actually is, and is in no way a substitute for actual magic.

Ironically, most of the rune abilities worth a drat are in fact fist-based. A few of the hammer and spear skills are also good (I’ll eventually have the spear skill Axel Disaster equipped full time solely because I like traveling by spinning around like Master Asia).

Two chests, the other has more toy herb seeds, but the field is the real treasure here. This is the first of the four seasonal fields, the Summer Field. As the name implies, it’s always summer here, for no clearly defined reason, and therefore I can plant summer crops here year-round to maintain the seasonal growth bonus. The downside is that it doesn’t get fertilized, so I have to manually repair the soil with withered grass, corn, and clovers.

I know nothing about real farming, but I feel like corn and clovers aren’t a real substitute for compost or fertilizer.

Besides the lumber I was able to chop and the weeds I could pick, the rocks here are another treasure. That’s a daily respawning stockpile of iron right there.

Before leaving, I slapped my new seeds down just because I could.

Hold down (B) for a time, then let it go... and tumble forward into an acrobatic attack! While tumbling, press the Control Pad or push the Circle Pad to change direction.

I honestly don’t like the charge attacks for any of the weapons. Anything that will stand still long enough for me to charge up will be dead from being punched 6 times in the same span of time, and probably suplexed at the end of it. Since it’s a movement based attack, the glove charge is slightly less useless. I still won’t use it much.

Our next broken bridge is… well, not a literal broken bridge, but it is a bridge that hasn’t been built yet.

As you get closer to the Water Ruins (as opposed to wandering everywhere and poking at everything like I’ve been doing), Art starts hearing noises, confirming the reports of cursed voices I guess. I say he hears them, because I don’t hear poo poo.

Wow, everybody is following me around today.

Wow, it really is you! What are you doing here?

I could ask you the same, Kiel!

I was doing some field work over there. I'm studying the ancient ruins around here, and trying to learn more about the land. So I'll often go poking around in them to see what I can find.

Over where? The ruins are across the bridge in front of me, and you clearly came from behind me.

What about the monsters?

I don't have to worry too much. I can use Escape to go back to town in the blink of an eye!

That's true.

Aaaaalways good to have an escape plan handy, just in case things get ugly! Oh, yeah, speaking of which, there's someplace I have to be. Gotta run!

I don’t like Kiel. Beyond the fact that he’s the creepy underage bachelor for the female PC, he’s also annoying. At least Amber is adorable. And this pointless conversation was just a reminder that the Escape spell is useful.

Some crazy fool actually lives out here! And they keep cheap cloth and orangesin a crate outside their home! I immediately confiscate everything under my Royal Authority.

I can do that too. By opening a menu.

The joke’s on him though. I stole his shirt. Video game kleptomania wins again!

I like to think all the chests I’ve found and emptied around here belong to that guy and I’m stealing all his worldly possessions. Wow, I’m really loving good at this Prince thing.

And this is the Summer Spring. Each seasonal area has its own spring. They’re for… something special, I’ll show you later.

I also found some cooking bread. I will likely never cook either of these dishes beyond making one of each to fill out my shipped items list.

And there’s the entrance to the Water Ruins. Am I ready to shoulder the burden of a second dungeon run? Not yet. Such an undertaking requires more planning.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Truthkeeper posted:

I know nothing about real farming, but I feel like corn and clovers aren’t a real substitute for compost or fertilizer.

Clover's a surprisingly good fallow crop. Corn not so much.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, interesting. I like that you have to put in more effort on the seasonal fields if you want them to be as productive as your main one.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
From what I remember of GCSE Science, clover roots are able to produce nitrogen somehow which helps rejuvenate soil. So clovers are really good to plant if you have a lovely field irl. Cows also like to eat them, so farmers like clover.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Roro posted:

From what I remember of GCSE Science, clover roots are able to produce nitrogen somehow which helps rejuvenate soil. So clovers are really good to plant if you have a lovely field irl. Cows also like to eat them, so farmers like clover.

A general three-phase crop rotation is 3 years of alfalfa (Due mostly to the Extensive Root System; mature alfalfa plants have roots that extend upwards of fifty feet underground), which draws nutrients closer to the surface. One year of soybeans because, like all legumes, they act as nitrogen-fixing plants, creating nodules in their root system full of nitrogen, which the beans don't use, followed by one year of corn, which is a heavily nitrogen-dependent crop.

Repeat ad nausem, and laugh at your neighbours when their corn is 3 feet tall by the time yours is nearly 7 feet tall.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I was going to post something to that effect but here you are doing it and better at that. Shouldn't be surprised farming games would draw in the farmers. :v:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Sel Nar posted:

A general three-phase crop rotation is 3 years of alfalfa (Due mostly to the Extensive Root System; mature alfalfa plants have roots that extend upwards of fifty feet underground), which draws nutrients closer to the surface. One year of soybeans because, like all legumes, they act as nitrogen-fixing plants, creating nodules in their root system full of nitrogen, which the beans don't use, followed by one year of corn, which is a heavily nitrogen-dependent crop.

Repeat ad nausem, and laugh at your neighbours when their corn is 3 feet tall by the time yours is nearly 7 feet tall.

Fascinating. I kinda knew that soybeans are good to plant before something that requires more soil nitrogen (because everything I know about farming that I didn't learn from Harvest Moon I learned from SimFarm), but I didn't know why it worked.

Can we at least agree that taking harvested clovers, corn, and grass and working them into the soil with a hoe shouldn't be any more effective as a fertilizer than any other plant matter would be? (watch as a tenth generation farmer from the bread basket pops in and explains how that's the secret to his family's success).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No plant is able to use N2 directly. Legumes have a symbiotic relationship with certain types of bacteria, which can utilise gaseous nitrogen. The nodules on the roots are homes for the bacteria.
(The plant uses some of the fixed nitrogen itself, but there's enough left over that the soil is enriched)

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Freedom is Slavery

As I’ve started so many of these updates, I’m knocking off another request. This one is a big loving deal. Arthur wants a monster barn; I want a monster barn. It’s a match made in the Forest of Beginnings.

"To help get you started, I'm giving you some Lumber and Material Stone. Now, go ahead and make the order, if you would."

Kinda wish I’d remembered that he gives you the lumber and stone for this before, I put this off until I had enough to do it myself.

Individual barns get names, and while I could stick with the default crop-based names, I can do something a little more creative.

Le Morte D’Arthur isn’t my favorite version of the King Arthur story, but it is the first one I read.

Looks like you've built a strong, sturdy Monster Barn. Arthur has a reward for you.

"There's a brush inside. Equip it to groom your monsters. Brushing them every day will raise their friendship levels."

Brushing monsters and giving them treats (not limited to and in fact shouldn’t usually be edible) makes them like you more and exercises your Taming skill, which allows you to have more monsters. I am very bad about leveling this skill enough to finish Arthur’s final request.

The next day, I stopped in to see Venti.

There’s a hole in the roof for Venti to fly in and out through, shown in some cutscenes. It’s directly above Venti’s head. This seems like a poor design choice.

"Do you know how to make good friendships with monsters? Try to give them food or items. If they like your gift, they'll become your friends! But high level monsters are hard to make tame. Select the monsters carefully by considering your own level. Also, you can't make friends with monsters when your Monster Barn is full."

This request is what we’re here for today. I have a monster barn, now I need monsters. I’m going Monster Hunting!

Monster Ranching!

Something something Pokemon?

I’m catching some loving monsters.

Edible items are generally a good plan. The items dropped by monsters tend to be the most effective way to catch that specific monster, but random food or grass will usually do the job. Almost all monsters are catchable, with the exception of a few robots and some bosses.

Why yes, I did just tell you that most of the bosses in this game can be caught and stuffed in a barn. More on that later. Much later. Today, we’re setting our sights lower.

I have no proof that brushing a monster before you try to tame it has any effect, but I think it does. And really, how many of you held some combination of buttons after throwing a Pokeball?

Now, when you give an item to a monster to try and tame it, a speech bubble will pop up with a pulsing heart, and then one of two things will happen. If it doesn’t work, the speech bubble will change to a skull, like this.

While a successful attempt will pulse with a larger heart.

And then cut to a screen to name your new slave.

I swear to Ventuswill the first 4 default names for Woolies are either Wool or have Wool in them.

Again, sure, I could stick with the default name, but what fun is that? These monsters are my loyal followers. I’m Arthur. Arthur had loyal followers.

Sadly, the six character limit cramps my style a bit, but welcome Bedver (Sir Bedivere) to the party!

Naturally, I recruited this Woolie for it’s great prowess in combat! Or because it drops wool every day.

Also, I can ride it. I can ride the bipedal sheep smaller than I am. It’s slightly faster than walking, and I can control the Wooly’s attacks while riding it.

This was a terrible mistake. Against all odds, I swear the Orc Archer is even more useless than the Wooly, and it doesn’t even produce items. Other than being put to work on the farm, this thing is worthless.

And so I named it after my least favorite knight. Welcome Lancel (Sir Lancelot) to the party.

A Cluckadoodle for eggs becomes Gawain.

And a Buffamoo for milk becomes Perciv (Sir Percival).

Sadly, that’s all a single barn can hold at first. Spoilers: Lancelot is gonna be loving gone the first time I see a monster I actually want for a fighter. There’s giant beetles in the last area of Yokmir Forest, those guys can last a long time (I used one until the end of Act 2 my previous playthrough, but they can easily last longer if you bother to feed them properly).

"By placing fodder inside, the monsters' friendship levels will go up. You can get more fodder by growing Fodder Seed sold at the store. I will share some with you today, but you'll have to grow the rest on your own.”

A fodder bin will feed your monsters grass, automatically consuming one unit of fodder per occupied barn room per day. Without fodder, your monsters will steadily lose health every day, while they’ll recover health each day while they have fodder. A monster with no HP is obviously useless in combat, but they also won’t drop items or work the farm.

Lancelot even knows he isn’t wanted here.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Surprise double update combo night!

Forged in Fire

I’d celebrate finally having a forge, except now I have to make good on my promise to explain crafting mechanics.

I can afford a forge (used for making weapons), but not a crafting bench (used for making armor, shields, hats, boots, and accessories).

They both require a license from the Order board, but that’s hardly a problem. It’s not like I can’t pass a simple test.

I was gonna make a joke about getting every question wrong, but that would have been even easier than these questions.

A variety of things you do, including holding festivals (especially if you participate, and especially especially if you win) will increase the town’s tourism rating. Increasing Tourism enough will increase your prince rank. Each rank comes with a bit of cash, and opens up more Orders. The highest rank, Crown of Crowns, requires a tourism rating that takes absurd effort to achieve, and is required to unlock Ventuswill and Volkanon in the post-game.

This is the main advantage though. Now I can use the airship from the beginning of the game to fast-travel. It can take me to dungeon entrances, seasonal fields and ponds, and other notable points, and I can summon it from any save point except the one in my room.

After paying off Bado, he slapped a bigass forge right there on the ground. Like other furniture, I can lift this thing over my head. Art’s been eating his steroids clearly.

I like keeping my crafting area outside, utilizing the otherwise useless town square.

Porcoline sells bread to teach me recipes, a limited number (1-6) each day. Most loaves will teach one recipe each, but occasionally you’ll get a Bread+ that teaches 2. And some Breads+ you find as treasure can teach more.

Okay, I promised crafting mechanics. I’m only gonna start with the basics here though.

This is a watering can. Made of iron, rusty as gently caress, holds so little water that I have to refill it twice to water my entire field. If I was desperate enough to use it as a weapon, it increases my magic attack by 1 and is water elemental. In the early games, the watering can was one of the best weapon. Here, you’d have to be desperate. I put this in the bottom slot, the Upgraded Item slot.

This is a magnifying glass, the thing I use to check soil stats. When used to upgrade, by putting it in the Upgrade Material slot seen here, it gives the item a +1 bonus to Int, and lets that item be used as a magnifying glass. Upgrading an item increases its level by 1, and you can’t go higher than 10. So that’s 9 possible upgrades per item. Anything that increases stats will have diminishing returns if you use it as an upgrade material more than once.

And so we have a magnifying watering can that’s slightly more useful as a desperate man’s caster weapon.

Forging items works similarly to cooking.

Now, see how this incredibly useful fist weapon upgrade requires two items to craft? And there are six boxes? That means I can add up to four more items to the recipe and have them added as free upgrades (only three would actually be counted, if you used four, three would be picked at random). Or, if I had another fist weapon, I could add it to the recipe and its stats would override the Brass Knuckles stats, but keep the Knuckles graphic. This is useful if you’re crafting something that requires more than three items to make.

Now, upgrade materials also have levels, difficulty ratings, and (hidden) rarity stats. More difficult materials require higher skill to use. All of the items you use in creating and upgrading your item will have their levels and rarities added up, and a bonus to Attack, Magic Attack, Defense, and/or Magic Defense based on that combined level and combined rarity. Using a bunch of high level high rarity materials in your item will give absurdly high bonuses.

There’s a chap named Barrett, a visitor from Rune Factory 2, who will tell you what items were used to craft and upgrade your item, and a summary of how high level and rare those materials were.

As for the knuckles?

See that RP cost? This thing is too high level for me to craft at my current skill. Much grinding required

Also, that Ambrosia’s Thorn I got from the butterfly boss? Difficulty 30. And I want to use it in these knuckles, so cue even more grinding.

Thankfully, grinding is cheap. You get the same skill bonus for upgrading an item regardless of what material you use. So buying a few hundred bags of turnip seeds and upgrading them into broadswords is surprisingly effective.

I can, however, totally make the next tier watering can.

Why is a tin watering can made out of bronze? Good question! Why would a watering can made out of tin or hold more water than one made out of iron (besides the obvious rust issue)? Also a good question.

A better watering can that holds more water and can be charged up to cover a 4x4 area.

I also knocked out another request I’ve been putting off. Telling Eliza that I’ve got a friendship rating of 1 with everybody in the village gets me a new spell! That lets me say hello to people! This is useless!

And turning in a request to get the airship license lets me trade play coins for cash. I’ll avoid using that in this LP, although it isn’t really particularly broken.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Well, crafting seems pointlessly convoluted; what a surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

This is a magnifying glass, the thing I use to check soil stats. When used to upgrade, by putting it in the Upgrade Material slot seen here, it gives the item a +1 bonus to Int, and lets that item be used as a magnifying glass.
:aaa:

I've been playing game this on and off for years and I never knew about that. I've been wasting an inventory slot this whole time!

EDIT: I just went to test this out on my watering can and it works just like you said! You just blew my mind! :aaaaa:

TracerK fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 13, 2016

• Locked thread