Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

axeil posted:

Is the hike technically challenging? In that, are there any rocky/tricky sections where you need to do more than just walk forward?

I climbed Signal Knob (~2,100 ft) the other day so I think I now have more climbing experience than that dumb Canadian lady. Gonna achieve my day-old dream of climbing dying on Everest!

imo, saving someone's life while climbing/hiking/etc is way more impressive an endeavor than getting to the summit and something that is way more impressive to brag about at cocktail parties.

For 25k you could pay me and 24 of my friends to be wingmen for life. You'll get laid way more often, and you don't even have to leave the state (but 25 people will all lie and say you did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Aphex- posted:

Seems like a climber (who's blind in one eye!) sacrificed his summit attempt on the 21st to save the life of another climber who was sliding down the fixed lines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36437937

A Good Person on Everest.

The mountain knows when it got cheated and it will remember. The mountain will win in the end.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Chichevache posted:

For 25k you could pay me and 24 of my friends to be wingmen for life. You'll get laid way more often, and you don't even have to leave the state (but 25 people will all lie and say you did).

Does this include all of you paying your own cover charges and drinks at bars and clubs or would a taker on this still need to cover those? In the case of the latter, this is less a bargain and more on parity for value.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

axeil posted:

imo, saving someone's life while climbing/hiking/etc is way more impressive an endeavor than getting to the summit and something that is way more impressive to brag about at cocktail parties.

But what if the person was your wife?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Xibanya posted:

Does this include all of you paying your own cover charges and drinks at bars and clubs or would a taker on this still need to cover those? In the case of the latter, this is less a bargain and more on parity for value.

Shut up, Brad. You're blowing it for us.

Mega64 posted:

But what if the person was your wife?

Depends on if she's vegan

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

axeil posted:

I thought this too - "I was on everest" vs "I was a bonafide hero on everest"

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

I know someone who seriously made this quote their iPhone lock screen.

Future frozen corpses of America.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Recently, a couple of guys mounted an expedition to Mount Illimani (summit 6438 m) in Bolivia in search of the unrecovered cockpit recorders of Eastern Air Lines flight 980.

They documented it as a series of blog posts, and it’s a good read. Start at the bottom. Unfortunately, the format spoils the ending.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

if I die on that godforsaken mountain it will be because I woke up one morning in a drunken stupor with no memory of how I got there and no warm clothes or supplies

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Alan Smithee posted:

if I die on that godforsaken mountain it will be because I woke up one morning in a drunken stupor with no memory of how I got there and no warm clothes or supplies

hey buddy wanna find dgsw with me?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the Sherpa's still trying to murder people for dishonoring them by summiting before them? Did the finally realize they where wrong when the mountain responded by avalanching them the year afterwards? drat I bet Ueli Steck's high altitude rescue helicopters would have helped with that whole thing.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

DrPlump posted:

Are the Sherpa's still trying to murder people for dishonoring them by summiting before them? Did the finally realize they where wrong when the mountain responded by avalanching them the year afterwards? drat I bet Ueli Steck's high altitude rescue helicopters would have helped with that whole thing.

It's Simone Moro who flies the helicopters, try to keep up h t h

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Hello facebook cover photo

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Raged posted:

Hello facebook cover photo

Holy poo poo, that's a good idea.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
That'll be so cool let all your Facebook friends know you aren't one of those rich white people who climbs everest and definitely not a deathfat ... they'll think you're the coolest once they realize you spend all day chatting about how much you hope people die in one specific place across the world and discussing statistics on how many people die and insurance pricing tables showing that the racist manchildren who want to climb tall mountain are so stupid and disrespectful to the noble Sherpa (who could probably levitate up the mountain if they weren't held back by whitey due to their innate connection to nature and the mountain)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So was every person who's played their character on Second Life for 10+ years, doesn't mean they deserve accolades.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

axeil posted:

Is the hike technically challenging? In that, are there any rocky/tricky sections where you need to do more than just walk forward?

Not at all. I did Machame route which has one two-hour period of scrambling up a reasonably steep rock face, but otherwise it's just hiking. It's a bit annoying when it snows near the top, but usually not enough for crampons or anything.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

John Denver Hoxha posted:

That'll be so cool let all your Facebook friends know you aren't one of those rich white people who climbs everest and definitely not a deathfat ... they'll think you're the coolest once they realize you spend all day chatting about how much you hope people die in one specific place across the world and discussing statistics on how many people die and insurance pricing tables showing that the racist manchildren who want to climb tall mountain are so stupid and disrespectful to the noble Sherpa (who could probably levitate up the mountain if they weren't held back by whitey due to their innate connection to nature and the mountain)

I enjoy these meaningful chats.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Same

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Youre all welcome, now you can go back to posting articles and commenting about how some girl who died is a stupid bitch or whatever.
Enjoy

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Is there a bigger version of this? I want to print it out and hang at my desk.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

John Denver Hoxha throwing shade at the Everest thread everybody :eyepop:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Youre all welcome, now you can go back to posting articles and commenting about how some girl who died is a stupid bitch or whatever.
Enjoy

oh no a random concern troll in the GBS Everest Death Pool thread what are we going to do oh nooooooo

E: Seasons officially over with a toll of 6. I'll get you next time, himEX.

DPM fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Millie posted:

Is there a bigger version of this? I want to print it out and hang at my desk.

You could just make your own. It's a picture of Everest with words on it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Enjoy

Cool

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Cojawfee posted:

You could just make your own. It's a picture of Everest with words on it.

The sad thing is that I work in graphic design & print production and have the adobe suite open as I type this.

I have no excuse :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DumbparameciuM posted:

oh no a random concern troll in the GBS Everest Death Pool thread what are we going to do oh nooooooo

E: Seasons officially over with a toll of 6. I'll get you next time, himEX.

What about the later window? The mountain could still take three more... right? :ohdearsass:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

pr0k posted:

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

The mountain hungers :unsmigghh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Enjoy

Unless you're waiting for Stockholm syndrome to kick in feel free to leave anytime you want.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Outrail posted:

Unless you're waiting for Stockholm syndrome to kick in feel free to leave anytime you want.

I'd rather call you all a bunch of faggots who need a real hobby

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd consider rooting for people to die on a mountain a pretty fun and fulfilling hobby, actually.

You should try it, it's more fun than you'd expect.

e: Also this thread is pretty educational to boot. Definitely cool learning about all the weird stuff that climbing the more dangerous mountains entails.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 6, 2016

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Its nothing against this particular thread I just woke up today and decided gods work was to get probated in one of the GBS creepy weird threads of oddly specific hate. I almost went in swinging against the kick starter artisinal hipster loathing station though, so don't feel special.
If I want to take pleasure in death I'll go to live leak and get a much more interesting experience

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I'd rather call you all a bunch of faggots who need a real hobby

Sounds like you need a hobby.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Outrail posted:

Sounds like you need a hobby.

I have one, its being rubber while youre glue... Haha owned bitch

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have one, its being rubber while youre glue... Haha owned bitch

:golfclap: got a chuckle outta me

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Its nothing against this particular thread I just woke up today and decided gods work was to get probated in one of the GBS creepy weird threads of oddly specific hate. I almost went in swinging against the kick starter artisinal hipster loathing station though, so don't feel special.
If I want to take pleasure in death I'll go to live leak and get a much more interesting experience

Just go post in fyad and get insta probed like a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
can we get a death toll update?