Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, where can I see the preparation level of a front? Also, do I lose it if I at some point take manual control of a division (say, go for an encirclement)?

The planning bonus is per division, not for the entire command group. You see it as a little blue line between the experience icon and the digging in icon, and you can mouse over the division for the number. It decreases at the same rate with manual and AI initiated attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I tried to reverse Ardennes Germany with 60 divisions to Germany's 6. I still lost. I died to Germany steamrolling through the alps.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Alright so I want to ask everyone, what is people's impression of the AI? Don't care about specific case where you think it failed. I want to genuinely know are you having fun playing against it?

E: of course if there is really holy poo poo this is bad that should be mentioned but right now I want to know how is it to play with.

E2: just to make sure people reading this who might not be familiar with the devs, I was AI programmer on this and genuinely interested on what people think of my work.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 7, 2016

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Groogy posted:

Alright so I want to ask everyone, what is people's impression of the AI? Don't care about specific case where you think it failed. I want to genuinely know are you having fun playing against it?

I'm having fun so far, and my experience is that the AI has been competitive in stopping my advances as France. I'm only up to 1941 though. It seems to be the standard Paradox fare so far (EU4, CK2)?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Alright, so my Venezuela campaign seems to have ground to a bloody standstill. Germany has capitulated, but somehow both the Chinese faction and the Comintern are in europe fighting the allies. I've turned about half the US into a facist state with venezuelan backing, but we missed all the key industrial states in the east, so the combined facist-US and Venezuelan force can barely hold off what remains of the United States, which I've nuked about 8 times now. it's 1952 and the frontlines haven't significantly changed in about 2 years.

Isn't this how 1984 starts?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Groogy posted:

It's pretty good. Way too naval-invasion happy, Britain spends most of its time landing 5-10 divisions in Normandy before getting crushed 1-4 weeks later, so it's annoying to have to respond to that every month or two. Other than that, I'm having a lot of fun, both historical and non-historical. Only thing I'd like to see is making Historical a bit stronger weighted, things go off the rails all the time even on Historical before the war breaks out and it's annoying when all of your demands as Germany are rejected, so you're fighting without all the nice Austria/Czech factories

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the planning bonus on defense? If I don't hit "execute", my divisions don't get the planning bonus. If I do hit "execute", then my troops move forward off their nice forts and out of their nice entrenchments. It'd be nice as France, for example, to be able to take advantage of that nice planning bonus boost defending against Germany

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I just had a civil war as France and after I won half my factories were gone. :iiam:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Groogy posted:

Yes, but I haven't gotten in a big war yet, so I've mostly just experienced it while trying to out-produce it or diplomatic jockeying for position or whatever, so I can't speak to the combat AI. But I can say that even with historical focuses turned off, the AI seems to be acting rationally? Even the strange things I've seen happen tend to at least have a reason... or, at least, the illusion of a reason. (I'm trying not to anthropomorphize the AI too much)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Empress Theonora posted:

ÄBut I can say that even with historical focuses turned off, the AI seems to be acting rationally? Even the strange things I've seen happen tend to at least have a reason... or, at least, the illusion of a reason. (I'm trying not to anthropomorphize the AI too much)

It is one of the things I worked really hard with so I am happy you feel like that.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Groogy posted:

E: of course if there is really holy poo poo this is bad that should be mentioned but right now I want to know how is it to play with.

Here you go.

YouTuber posted:

Found a bug, don't give everyone military access then remain as a co-belligerent. I DoW on Greece and then Germany went loving insane and DoW every single nation in Europe. Greece shifted into the Allies which made me also at war with them. The second Germany cleared Poland they decided the best course of action was just to keep the front open and DoW on USSR. So I'm not in the Axis yet fighting on the same side because gently caress opening up the USSR as a front as Turkey.

Yes, that is infact Japanese troops fighting Republican Spain troops in Istanbul. The USSR is fighting in Holland and Luxemburg as well as in the Balkans. Republican Spain owns a huge slice of the Eastern Front. This map is :barf:

The AI just doesn't know what the gently caress is going on in my game. poo poo is so hosed that the lines of battle have stagnated into WW1 style fronts. If I had joined the Axis I think the AI would be more capable of sorting out what the hell is going on. Both the Axis and Comintern have military access through my lands so every time the front stabilizes a few units decide to take the scenic route and the AI suddenly has to recalculate the entire front. It's so bad that Japan is marching troops over to fight Republican Spain troops inside my country.

The actual battle AI seems, weak? I feel like CK2 and EUIV are far better at managing the AI than Hoi4. There was times where the AI just suplexed me in EU4 despite myself having every advantage possible. In this I feel like I'm in total control over the game because everything works so predictably.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 7, 2016

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Groogy posted:

The AI is in general pretty good, but it sometimes has very weird priorities.

As most people have said, It's way too eager to launch naval invasions, and particularly it's way too prone to trying to launch repeated, poorly planned naval invasions that fail in the same way. As an example: I took Trinidad as an Axis Venezuela early in the war because GB had no divisions there. For the next 3-4 years the AI would constantly be trying to land single-division garrison brigades there and failing instantly. When I took Belize, The same thing happened. They only stopped when I managed to gain naval supremacy in the Caribbean, despite having no success in the years before.

As another example: In the same game, I took Mexico and started pushing into the US. The US AI correctly responded with a massive armored push that I could not hope to counter, so I ordered the entire front back to a defensive line I had prepared around mexico city. However, instead of continuing its push, The AI completely abandoned the area a few months later, and I was able to push into Texas again. This triggered the defensive AI, which pushed me back and then abandoned the area again. This happened 3 or 4 times until I managed to seize and heavily fortify Houston, which I could supply by open sea routes. I still haven't seen a proper push back.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Takanago posted:

So I've been poking around the game files to see how they work and maybe make a Crete mod or something. But then I noticed that even though the game only seems to really care about the three major ideologies, there are actually a lot of sub-ideologies defined in the game!

Fun fact: There are no less than five types of Communism in the game. :ussr:

You can find the data in common\ideologies\ and localisation\parties_l_english/yml

Some if not all of the descriptions in the localization are used. Falangism description shows up on Poland, the Stalnist one is on the soviet union, obviously.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 7, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah the super naval invasion bias thing I will talk with steelvolt about but I'm sure he already have an idea to solve it. (he did naval invasion while I did air plane management, ever had Germany sink your navy with naval bombers? That's my doing)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can say after playing an Italy game, that the AI is good at handling naval air. RIP Italian Navy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

sarmhan posted:

I can say after playing an Italy game, that the AI is good at handling naval air. RIP Italian Navy.

Hello, fellow destroyed-by-british-bombers buddy.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The peace treaty system is really loving cool.

The former axis countries got carved up pretty bad.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

So, game worth picking up now, or is it one of those games where a couple of DLC would need to be released to flesh it out a bit first?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Groogy posted:

E2: just to make sure people reading this who might not be familiar with the devs, I was AI programmer on this and genuinely interested on what people think of my work.

I love it but as it was said, Britain maybe loves naval invasions too much. In my Italy game Germany still hasn't made it through Belgium because Britain has invaded Wilhemshaven five times. Twice it has tried to land in Italy but I've stopped those before they made it ashore.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

cheesetriangles posted:

I like the idea of peace conferences, but they are currently poorly implemented. You can't reduce your points below the next highest person, so if it's close you get very little and the second place person gets a bunch. Also, don't load peace conference autosaves, it bugged for me and messed up warscores.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

cheesetriangles posted:

I've been begging for a peace conference system for years, this is a great development :allears:

So, Groogy, I've been pretty impressed by the AI in the main, but something weird happened in my Ireland game. Non-historical focuses. I went Communist and joined the Comintern, then declared on the UK to claim Northern Ireland, which we grabbed easily enough. I continued building up some forces, and after a few abortive naval attempts, nothing happened for awhile. Then the Allies sent a big ol' naval invasion my way and got into Belfast, which was great! There was a huge epic fight across half of Ireland and I was losing it - until without warning or apparent reason, they withdrew every single division. I just rolled back across all of Ireland and was back in the same situation I had been in.

To be clear though I'm a big fan of the AI being naval invasion-happy, you SHOULD have to keep your coasts garrisoned etc., and I remember the older games where such things were essentially unheard of, so I'm completely down with it. They do need some tweaking to be sufficient in strength, and properly followed up on, though.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 7, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

So, game worth picking up now, or is it one of those games where a couple of DLC would need to be released to flesh it out a bit first?
The game feels pretty fleshed out as-is. Only the major nations+ Poland have unique trees, but all the mechanics you'd expect are there and functional. I think the only actual issues I've had are naval invasion spam and peace conference/border gore stuff.

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.
Ive seen a lot of people say their Air force blows up pretty fast and im not sure if its been mentioned but whenever you assign an air wing to a mission they default to "No Retreat"

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

It feels like they started working on making Canada more unique, but then just stopped half way through. They have a Semi-Unique Naval Tech tree, but the Tank and Plane trees are generic.

They also have a couple of the same Manufactures as the UK, but they just use generic icons. They also have unique manufacturers as well.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

mottbag posted:

Anyone got any tips for convoy raiding as Germany? Just lost half my subs in the first week of the war after they decided to have a sea battle with the Royal Navy.

Make sure you've researched some convoy raiding doctrines and if you get any spare XP to spend modify your subs to have more stealth. However it does appear submarines will engage surface fleets way too often.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Groogy posted:

I'm having a ball with it honestly, I think it's just fine. I'm in a non-ironman, non-historical game right now as Fascist Austria (console'd myself Hungary/Czech/Yugoslavia for laughs) and despite the historical AI being turned off, things have generally turned out really well. Germany is in a two-front war with the Western Allies and the Comintern (along with me, Japan, and Italy), and both fronts are progressing really well under AI leadership. My contribution to the war is mainly in the air and in the form of one 24/24 army that I loaned out as an expeditionary force to Germany, and things are going pretty swimmingly.

From what I've played so far (10 hours), I don't really have any major issues with the AI at all.

Tuskin38 posted:

It feels like they started working on making Canada more unique, but then just stopped half way through. They have a Semi-Unique Naval Tech tree, but the Tank and Plane trees are generic.

They also have a couple of the same Manufactures as the UK, but they just use generic icons. They also have unique manufacturers as well.

I thought about making a super simple mod that just gives Canada all of the UK's plane/naval class names since that's kinda how it went down anyway IRL, but :effort:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Looking in the country files, there is a tag for banning political parties. Is that used in game at all? Canada has "Banned = no" next to Communist, but it is commented out.

Drone posted:

I thought about making a super simple mod that just gives Canada all of the UK's plane/naval class names since that's kinda how it went down anyway IRL, but :effort:

Canada uses Britian's Naval tree, with a couple classes renamed to what we called them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Even with my fighter groups set to low intensity a proper brawl for air superiority has hundreds of losses within days.

What I think is really neat is building variants and having to go "aaaargh reliability", more tanks/planes feels better to me than slightly fightier ones.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mister Adequate posted:

To be clear though I'm a big fan of the AI being naval invasion-happy, you SHOULD have to keep your coasts garrisoned etc., and I remember the older games where such things were essentially unheard of, so I'm completely down with it. They do need some tweaking to be sufficient in strength, and properly followed up on, though.

I love that the AI takes matters into its own hands and will actually do something to help and persecute its own war instead of taking the comatose route it did in HOI3 but some of the decisions it makes are downright bizarre. I think in every game I've played so far the UK keeps launching multiple landings in Italy and I keep getting notices of the liberation of Rome in summer of 1940, only to take a look back a month or two later and see the UK almost completely driven out, except fo Sicily or something. I have no idea why the Italians can't properly secure the Med agianst this.

I also see the Japanese routinly try to take my Pacific islands with 1 or 2 unsupported infantry units (no other ships or planes, nothing at all to support them). They don't seem to understand that they can't just walk onto the beach and take the island.

I don't know if they just don't have the proper intel to make an appropriate decision or if they just like charging straight at you to see what happens.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Anyone have opinions on the efficacy of heavy fighters v light fighters?

Air battles have a shitload of modifiers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I love that the AI takes matters into its own hands and will actually do something to help and persecute its own war instead of taking the comatose route it did in HOI3 but some of the decisions it makes are downright bizarre. I think in every game I've played so far the UK keeps launching multiple landings in Italy and I keep getting notices of the liberation of Rome in summer of 1940, only to take a look back a month or two later and see the UK almost completely driven out, except fo Sicily or something. I have no idea why the Italians can't properly secure the Med agianst this.

To be fair, you're relying on the Italians to secure the med :v:

Tinkle
Sep 26, 2006
As useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat.
Can someone give a breakdown of differences in adding artillery as a support battalion and just adding it to the front line. Adding them to the frontline just seems flat out better at the cost of more supplies. I have to imagine having artillery in support ALWAYS gives the bonuses as opposed of having them on the front line and finding space to operate in the "front width"?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Trogdos! posted:

I love it but as it was said, Britain maybe loves naval invasions too much. In my Italy game Germany still hasn't made it through Belgium because Britain has invaded Wilhemshaven five times. Twice it has tried to land in Italy but I've stopped those before they made it ashore.

I remember playing HOI3 at launch, my first game I was muttering along trying to prepare the Soviet Union for war. Then I noticed that in the Spring of 1940, Mexico had led an invasion of Germany through Denmark and was occupying half of the country.

If the worst you can say at this point, is that Great Britain keeps making stupid invasion choices, I think that's a win over the Mexican juggernaut liberating Europe in 1940 from HOI3.

Edit

Popete posted:

Does this game have a good tutorial? I sure hope so.

No, it really does not, which is a shame.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 7, 2016

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Groogy posted:

Alright so I want to ask everyone, what is people's impression of the AI?

3 games of about 2 hours each to get a feel of the mechanics and each have been impressive. Germany was successful in early actions, and Japan has a 50/50 shot of out preforming in China.

The only wonky thing is trigger happy UK's naval invasion policy. I like the aggressive posture when once they landed on Rome in 1940 only to be stalled on the counter attack, but they also landed in Sweden and kept their fleet in the Baltic for a year.... Seems like the ai wants to get in the fight after France falls but is so aggressive that it doesn't care how or when.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tinkle posted:

Can someone give a breakdown of differences in adding artillery as a support battalion and just adding it to the front line. Adding them to the frontline just seems flat out better at the cost of more supplies. I have to imagine having artillery in support ALWAYS gives the bonuses as opposed of having them on the front line and finding space to operate in the "front width"?

Support brigades can't slow down their division. So armor or mech divisions should have support art as opposed to line art. Though spg line divisions are fine.

There are also doctrines that improve line art or support art.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there anyway to edit savegames in HoI4? They seem to be automatically encrypted but don't seem to be compressed (trying to change them into .zip and unpacking doesn't work). Me and a friend have a multiplayer game, and he finisehd the alliance with the USSR focus for Germany and they accepted which ofcourse prompts a massive expansion of the Allies faction, however the Soviet Union acutomatically leaves the next day kind of rendering it all pointless. We have an earlier autosave but the focus is already started, and can't be cancelled far as I know. Would be nice to just edit the savegame like in the old days, if that's no longer possible then I don't know what's gotten into the head of the Paradox devs, as being able to edit save games is practically a necessity for playing their games for when things go wrong.

Abx0r
Jan 12, 2007
Objection!
My Fascist Sweden game: After covering for Hitler's mistake of declaring war on the USSR and forcing them to capitulate, I run over and beat off the allied naval invasion in France. Then I have to help Japan conquer China, which I finally accomplished in 1944. I research nukes and spend a long time preparing a naval invasion of the UK. After dropping 8 Nukes on the UK, my naval invasion arrives and rushes into London. The United Kingdom capitulates! YAY! wait, what? They capitulated to who? Italy's tiny land-locked Russian Empire puppet.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Tinkle posted:

Support artillery doesn't take up width, so you can squeeze more firepower into the front line with them

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Groogy posted:

Only made it a little bit into my Italy campaign but the AI seems okay. I rolled over Ethiopia but it seems like winning as Ethiopia is nearly impossible. The Battlefront AI attacked the capital in a fairly reasonable manner too. I'm excited to see what happens when I get a real war going. I'm trying to pull American countries into the war so the USA isn't a juggernaut.

Question for you though. I read that the AI can do everything the player can do...except influence political parties (and coups?). What was the reason for that? Did countries go nuts influencing each other? Any plans to get it in after a few patches?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I've enjoyed the non-historical AI. I played as Germany and immediately went commie, and Italy gave me the cold shoulder. It's cool though, Stalin and Wilhelm Pieck are bros and are carving up Europe pretty well by 1939.

And holy balls I need a mod to calm UK's tits. Enough with the amphibious landings. It's annoying because there is no way to set a coast as a "front" as far as I can tell, and the "garrison" AI shits the bed as soon as amphibious troops show up. Divisions start running around like chickens with their heads cut off, all while UK plants the Union Jack on whatever beach it wants to. Does this game not have the beach restrictions for landings? I thought for sure that was a thing in past HoI games, but maybe I am conflating it with any of the other dozen or so WWII computer and tabletop games I've messed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

The Polish DLC is a good template if you're making a country flavour mod.