Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

oswald ownenstein posted:

Could you give some more info about what's actually good? For example, what the gently caress is a wolf chariot for? I know it has a weiner ranged attack, but am I supposed to be turning on melee mode and using the charge? What about wolf rider archers or spider rider archers? I'd been using wolf / spider rider cav a lot early on just for the charges on archer/grudge thrower lines

Chariots are used for impact charges. Charges have two parts, the Impact and the Charge Bonus. The Impact is a mix of the units speed and mass and does an immediate chunk of damage while the charge bonus is a bonus applied to Melee Attack and Damage that gradually decreases over thirty seconds. This means when a cavalry unit charges it hits and does good impact damage because they've a lot of mass (They're on horses!) and speed, they also generally have good impact damage meaning they can stay in the fight and kill things for a little bit, before you draw them out to do another charge.

Chariots are different. The Goblin chariot is manned by goblins, so even with a charge bonus they're poo poo in a fight. However they're also in a loving Chariot, which has an incredibly high mass and speed which gives it really good Impact Damage. They come with bows because you're meant to charge in as they fire their bows, smash a unit so hard you go right through it then do a donut while still firing those bows and come back to do it again. This means chariots are best on unengaged units like archers, fleeing units or the enemies reserves. You've got such a heavy charge there's very little you can't just plough right through and come out the other side, to devastating effect without taking any damage. With cavalry you might be whittled down as time goes on, but Chariots just keep on going.

They're not so great for hammer and anvil attacks, but if you want to do it then come in at an angle with a view of punching through the blob of enemy infantry and out the other side, ruining all the enemy units who haven't got into the fight yet. Don't come in for a direct rear charge as you have a wide turning circle and will get stuck in the thick of it as you try to keep going through your own units, get bogged down and lose all your chariots in melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

foolish_fool posted:

I'm playing as the orks on very hard, and around turn 130 I've cleared the official dwarves and chaos and all I'm left with for the short victory is the empire. So, I take 4 stacks + accompanying waarghs on a suicide rush to just kill them and win the game. The empire however are allied with I think every single other existing faction in the game, including the offspec dwarf dudes who have been my best friends in the game since turn 2 with whom I have happily split half the badlands. But apparently they like their new empire friends a lot more than me and next thing I know they are taking my half of the badlands for themselves. This is fine, if I kill the empire I win the game anyway I don't need to own any territory...

...until after killing the empire I realise that in the mess one of the generic ork factions respawned and now I no longer satisfy the victory condition :suicide:

e: bonus AI bullshit -- while I was killing the official dwarfs, when they had a single settlement left and were a turn from defeat they would conveniently confederate the ~25 settlement offspec dwarves (the ones that were my allies). I reloaded 7 or 8 times trying different means of killing them so as to try and avoid this get out of jail free trick and eventually it worked but I guess the key point here is don't play the harder difficulties they are stupid why am I doing this.

I've been playing on legendary and I simply can't control that kind of territory due to the constant rebellions - also, you expected karak azul to stay friends with you? Maybe if you bribe them nonstop...

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Fans posted:

Chariots are used for impact charges. Charges have two parts, the Impact and the Charge Bonus. The Impact is a mix of the units speed and mass and does an immediate chunk of damage while the charge bonus is a bonus applied to Melee Attack and Damage that gradually decreases over thirty seconds. This means when a cavalry unit charges it hits and does good impact damage because they've a lot of mass (They're on horses!) and speed, they also generally have good impact damage meaning they can stay in the fight and kill things for a little bit, before you draw them out to do another charge.

Chariots are different. The Goblin chariot is manned by goblins, so even with a charge bonus they're poo poo in a fight. However they're also in a loving Chariot, which has an incredibly high mass and speed which gives it really good Impact Damage. They come with bows because you're meant to charge in as they fire their bows, smash a unit so hard you go right through it then do a donut while still firing those bows and come back to do it again. This means chariots are best on unengaged units like archers, fleeing units or the enemies reserves. You've got such a heavy charge there's very little you can't just plough right through and come out the other side, to devastating effect without taking any damage. With cavalry you might be whittled down as time goes on, but Chariots just keep on going.

They're not so great for hammer and anvil attacks, but if you want to do it then come in at an angle with a view of punching through the blob of enemy infantry and out the other side, ruining all the enemy units who haven't got into the fight yet. Don't come in for a direct rear charge as you have a wide turning circle and will get stuck in the thick of it as you try to keep going through your own units, get bogged down and lose all your chariots in melee.

Does this mean microing ranged into melee? Or will the chariots auto charge? In my experience they just kept their distance, or did I have skirmish mode turned on or something?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

What about wolf rider archers or spider rider archers? I'd been using wolf / spider rider cav a lot early on just for the charges on archer/grudge thrower lines

Spider Rider Archers have poison arrows, which greatly debuff enemy units. They're used mostly as support, to cripple units you're fighting and make them easier to pick off. Night Goblin Archers also have poison arrows though they don't do any more ranged damage than regular gobbo archers do.

As for Goblin vs Orc Archers in general, I tested it and Orcs reliably do more ranged damage faster even on targets as weakly armored as skeletons. That surprised me a bit, but Orc Archers ultimately have missile damage comparable to empire crossbowmen and dwarf quarrelers despite their reduced aim while Goblin Archers have poo poo range and do 10+1 AP damage on hit, which is just miserable.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Does this mean microing ranged into melee? Or will the chariots auto charge? In my experience they just kept their distance, or did I have skirmish mode turned on or something?

To get them to charge into melee I believe you have to turn off ranged fire and click them to attack. At that point it ends up being kinda like a cav charge. If they can 'bust through' on the charge and keep going, then they kill a bunch of dudes. The scenario you want to avoid is where they get bogged down like in the middle of the unit, that will typically just get them killed.

I was not impressed with the ranged damage of wolf chariots and did not get a chance to try the boar chariots. The VC chariots seem underwhelming - sure don't see anyone boasting about black coach kills.

So far I'm considering chariots a gimmick more than a real thing in warhammer until someone posts a vid or replay of some ownage, then I'll use them like that.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I think you're looking for a way to force ranged to use melee? If a unit has a ranged attack your rick click will default to that attack. Ironbreakers, even being an infantry unit, have the same thing. If you select an ironbreaker and right click an enemy unit they will move in position and use their ranged attack.

If you want to ignore a ranged attack, select a unit and hold down the alt(?) button and then right click. The unit will use their melee weapons instead.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Interesting, I was using gobbo archers a lot in the early game because they're cheap and seem to be a little faster than arrer boyz for skirmish mode

I ended up using about 4-5 archers in general and they seemed pretty good at melting targets.

Honestly the gobbo archers weren't the problem, nor were the 3-4 gobbo spearmen I'd use to just tie up bad guys for the orc boyz to flank - it was just the overal poo poo morale of pretty much every unit

Could you give some more info about what's actually good? For example, what the gently caress is a wolf chariot for? I know it has a weiner ranged attack, but am I supposed to be turning on melee mode and using the charge? What about wolf rider archers or spider rider archers? I'd been using wolf / spider rider cav a lot early on just for the charges on archer/grudge thrower lines

Get your leader a few levels in the leadership tree if leadership is your main concern. It's one of the most available options before you get biguns and black orcs.

Madmac will probably have more specific and sage advice for cavalry, but looking at their stats and passives it's Bigun Boar Boyz and Spider Rider Archers that you want for cavalry.
Specifically, for fast cavalry wolves of all kinds do little damage and have low leadership, so they're only an option if you need cavalry asap.
Spider riders do poison, which owns. And I don't think I have any mods that change stats, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But archers have almost the exact same melee stats as the Spears. So the only advantage regular spider riders have is a slightly higher but still one digit charge bonus and a 25%shield iirc (most gobbos have an awesome 50%).
Feel free to have spider riders use strider to their advantage and have them melee charge artillery and archers. Their poison will mean they win most of those match ups pretty quickly. Then it's up to you whether you use them as ranged or melee skirmishers on the line.

As for heavy cav, biguns are the biggest, and do the most damage. Though idk if you actually just be better of with more black orcs or bigun boyz instead.

In general on cavalry, your chariots are more costly for a better charge, but worse movement and staying power. Imo not worth it except the bugged 0 upkeep gores.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Just in case any of you were wondering, gobblins whip great weapon dwarf warriors asses.

Really? That's not something I would have...

Nasgate posted:

On easy at least.

lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When a Lord gets a skill that gives them +Leadership, that doesn't bleed into the leadership bonus from their aura right?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

When a Lord gets a skill that gives them +Leadership, that doesn't bleed into the leadership bonus from their aura right?

I think those skills are called out specifically. For instance there's a +5 leadership within aura radius skill. So I'd interpret it the same way you do, that it's that unit's leadership and determines when he tries to break and run away.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Really? That's not something I would have...

lmao

I imagine they'd still hold up pretty well on normal. Once you start getting into leadership penalties from difficulty, the gobbos would probably rout before you can tell.

Seriously though, great weapon warriors do piss all damage to unarmored targets.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

You need to press F and that'll turn them from a ranged unit to a melee unit. If you don't give them an attack order they won't do much damage at all, you need them to wind up for an actual charge, a move order will not count as one. Then once you've hit quickly assess which direction is easiest for them to go to get out and double click that way, they'll barrel their way out again for a new charge as they're much better than Cavalry at bowling people over to get away.

Don't forget though that being Goblins they are cheap and a bit poo poo, so don't expect wonders out of them. Orc Chariots do much more devastating charges and have armour piercing to dish out as they're disengaging.

Goblin Chariots are best against Empire to do some crushing charges on their Infantry blocks. Against Dwarfs their charges will hit hard as Impact Damage is Armour piercing, but Dwarves are sturdy fuckers who won't take much impact damage if they can brace so you have to be sure you're not hitting them head on while braced or you're wasting your time.

Fans fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Also Goblin Wolfriders and other light cav (Missile or otherwise) have a niche, in that they're good for chasing down and killing units that have broken. Broken units might reform and come back, but set the Wolfriders on them and they'll eventually Shatter and be gone for sure. This is the same niche than the Wolves in Undead Armies have and Pistoleers in Empire fill.

Since Undead don't break and they have no squishy missile units this makes light cav against them kinda pointless.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Fans posted:

Also Goblin Wolfriders and other light cav (Missile or otherwise) have a niche, in that they're good for chasing down and killing units that have broken. Broken units might reform and come back, but set the Wolfriders on them and they'll eventually Shatter and be gone for sure. This is the same niche than the Wolves in Undead Armies have and Pistoleers in Empire fill.

Since Undead don't break and they have no squishy missile units this makes light cav against them kinda pointless.

If you're in that situation, I imagine you could face your wolves towards your artillery or arrers for fell bat duty. It'd free up whatever gobbo infantry for the massive undead line.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I haven't really been keeping up with development on this but just doing a quick glance through the thread, it looks like the general consensus is that this is actually a really, really drat good Total War? Just from a look here and there it looks pretty cool but how it is compared to say, Shogun 2? (Which was my favorite of the series thus far. I didn't hate Rome 2 but it just didn't quite do it for me the way Shogun did.)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I haven't really been keeping up with development on this but just doing a quick glance through the thread, it looks like the general consensus is that this is actually a really, really drat good Total War? Just from a look here and there it looks pretty cool but how it is compared to say, Shogun 2? (Which was my favorite of the series thus far. I didn't hate Rome 2 but it just didn't quite do it for me the way Shogun did.)

This game is indeed very very good. The core game play is great and it has been the most stable launch since Shogun 2. I would say it is easily my favorite of the series. Just so much fun to be had when you are playing a game with giant spiders, spooky ghosts, and a dude on a giant bird stomping the poo poo out of the super villain. As an added bonus there is just so much stuff that they are planning on adding via DLC/Expansions so this game should have a very long lifespan.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Inverted Sphere posted:

Very good game. Possibly best Total War campaign yet. Lazy rear end multiplayer compared to Shogun 2 but still solid package.

If you care much about multiplayer then Shogun 2 probably still holds the crown for the series but either way this is a great buy.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

For anyone considering a VC or Empire campaign, try the conquer anywhere mod. The ability to expand to useful places pretty much fixed their campaigns for me.

Interestingly enough I wonder if the decision to yank conquer anywhere was fairly late in the game. As VC when I take over Zufbar it has unique province buildings that buff unit xp when recruited, and that sure looks like a logical expansion spot for VCs.

Whether it was or not, the ability to conquer dwarf and ork stuff as humans and vc made things a lot more enjoyable.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
From several pages back by now, but when that CA dev was mentioning that autoresolve is a fine balance between being actually good and turn times he wasn't exactly kidding. I modded the autoresolve tables to take quite a number of more things into account and end turn times increased what I would consider drastically, though still in line with previous titles. That said, there were some simple changes I was able to make in order to keep 1-unit squads and 6-12 unit squads at least no lower than 50% from simple autoresolves as well as fix the usual CA problem of too many ranged units in enemy stacks due to them not dying in autoresolve. Or even taking damage so they'd get merged like the other troops.

Currently, there are three issues with their implementation: 1) Autoresolve operates entirely off of unit "class" and they failed to increase the number of unit classes to match the changes in unit sizes/general gameplay from rome2/attila. You can fix this by adding new classes to the monster/small squad units so that they aren't just autoresolved like any other sword infantry class 2) once again, and like always since shogun 2, they gave ranged units way too much fire time, lethality and protection from damage in the autoresolve but luckily all of those numbers are easily tweaked, especially by giving cavalry damage modifiers against missile infantry in the calculations and giving them penalties against inf_mel since most of it has shields other than monsters that you probably gave a new class to anyway 3) they put a rather strict limit on how much work strong units with AoE can actually do in autoresolve, such that if you would have gotten 200-300 kills with certain units manually they might only hit 40 or so in autoresolve.

Also, and this ties in with point 2, at the moment their autoresolve implementation takes like nothing into account, as far as class vs. class matchups go. They c/p'd some of the usual ones from attila but didn't actually add modifier values for them so they're doing nothing at the moment. This is one part of the reason why turn times are so speedy with the other being they've actually kneecapped the AI such that each faction can only consider a maximum of 10 things per turn and in total every faction alive can only consider 300, which is to say that if there are more than 30 factions on the map some don't even get 10 things to consider.

edit: also, I found a table that seemed to suggest the AI of some factions revolved entirely around either avoiding or antagonizing whoever the player faction was. I altered all of them to act as per normal (aggressive, raider, defender, opportunist, etc.) and it definitely makes some faction starts way harder, especially VC. I am guessing all of the dwarves have avoid_player_defender by default so removing the avoid_player part just makes them declare on VC really, really quickly even if you warred the greenskin tribes, got non-aggression and trades.

Decus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 10, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decus posted:

Also, and this ties in with point 2, at the moment their autoresolve implementation takes like nothing into account, as far as class vs. class matchups go.

The autoresolve definitely takes at least one class factor into account, and that is "if your class is 'single model monster' GET hosed AND DIE rear end in a top hat".

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Decus posted:

Also, and this ties in with point 2, at the moment their autoresolve implementation takes like nothing into account, as far as class vs. class matchups go. They c/p'd some of the usual ones from attila but didn't actually add modifier values for them so they're doing nothing at the moment. This is one part of the reason why turn times are so speedy with the other being they've actually kneecapped the AI such that each faction can only consider a maximum of 10 things per turn and in total every faction alive can only consider 300, which is to say that if there are more than 30 factions on the map some don't even get 10 things to consider.

Is it possible to raise this limit somehow, or is it hard set? I wouldn't mind increasing turn times by about 30 seconds (although there sure is a lot of turn flipping) if it meant the AI did more stuff.

The Conquer Anywhere stuff seemed to greatly increase the pace of AI conquest, since they could attack neighbors. Do you have any suggestions on whether the AI can handle conquering within racial boundaries given how constrained it is in what it can consider?

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016

Decus posted:

From several pages back by now, but when that CA dev was mentioning that autoresolve is a fine balance between being actually good and turn times he wasn't exactly kidding. I modded the autoresolve tables to take quite a number of more things into account and end turn times increased what I would consider drastically, though still in line with previous titles. That said, there were some simple changes I was able to make in order to keep 1-unit squads and 6-12 unit squads at least no lower than 50% from simple autoresolves as well as fix the usual CA problem of too many ranged units in enemy stacks due to them not dying in autoresolve. Or even taking damage so they'd get merged like the other troops.

Currently, there are three issues with their implementation: 1) Autoresolve operates entirely off of unit "class" and they failed to increase the number of unit classes to match the changes in unit sizes/general gameplay from rome2/attila. You can fix this by adding new classes to the monster/small squad units so that they aren't just autoresolved like any other sword infantry class 2) once again, and like always since shogun 2, they gave ranged units way too much fire time, lethality and protection from damage in the autoresolve but luckily all of those numbers are easily tweaked, especially by giving cavalry damage modifiers against missile infantry in the calculations and giving them penalties against inf_mel since most of it has shields other than monsters that you probably gave a new class to anyway 3) they put a rather strict limit on how much work strong units with AoE can actually do in autoresolve, such that if you would have gotten 200-300 kills with certain units manually they might only hit 40 or so in autoresolve.

edit: also, I found a table that seemed to suggest the AI of some factions revolved entirely around either avoiding or antagonizing whoever the player faction was. I altered all of them to act as per normal (aggressive, raider, defender, opportunist, etc.) and it definitely makes some faction starts way harder, especially VC. I am guessing all of the dwarves have avoid_player_defender by default so removing the avoid_player part just makes them declare on VC really, really quickly even if you warred the greenskin tribes, got non-aggression and trades.

This is really interesting. When you say the AI can look at 10 things to consider, do you mean e.g. 1. There's an enemy army within movement range of my city, defend the city. 2. Take an agent action against that enemy. 3. Build units in the nearby army? And if that goes beyond 10 it just ends turn? I'd also be really interested in a better auto resolve if you were to post the mod to the workshop.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gammymajams posted:

This is really interesting. When you say the AI can look at 10 things to consider, do you mean e.g. 1. There's an enemy army within movement range of my city, defend the city. 2. Take an agent action against that enemy. 3. Build units in the nearby army? And if that goes beyond 10 it just ends turn? I'd also be really interested in a better auto resolve if you were to post the mod to the workshop.

He's taking about the about the actual calculations behind the results of an auto-resolve battle. Zero of the things you listed are relevant to that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Inverted Sphere posted:

Yup. It is good.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

The autoresolve definitely takes at least one class factor into account, and that is "if your class is 'single model monster' GET hosed AND DIE rear end in a top hat".

They're inf_mel only instead of having their HP divided among lots of mens they're just one man.

Rakthar posted:

Is it possible to raise this limit somehow, or is it hard set? I wouldn't mind increasing turn times by about 30 seconds (although there sure is a lot of turn flipping) if it meant the AI did more stuff.

The Conquer Anywhere stuff seemed to greatly increase the pace of AI conquest, since they could attack neighbors. Do you have any suggestions on whether the AI can handle conquering within racial boundaries given how constrained it is in what it can consider?

Yeah, it's super easy to alter those values. I set it to 15 and 450 and turn times increased pretty greatly by end-game, probably at least 30 seconds.

There are several variables across quite a few tables all about making decisions to conquer/sack/raze/occupy. Guessing you could just cross-check the values with Attila or Rome 2? It's very possible that they made the AI more aggressive with heading out to sack/raze but once the mod also let them occupy they took the chance to do so. I don't think I'd use Conquer Anywhere for single player but it's great for co-op.

Gammymajams posted:

Taxes, doing diplomacy things and merging/recruiting troops also fall under "things to consider" as well and are done before moving armies. Yep, turn just ends if they hit their cap.

I'm still tweaking numbers with mine but I think there is actually a mod on the workshop that had a similar idea only instead of adding a new unit class it just changed all of the monsters into the unused "elephant" class and added appropriate "everything does less damage to this thing" modifiers.

edit: vvv harder difficulties do give you leadership penalties, very hard is -5 and I forget what legendary was since it's not in the database and I forgot what I hovered. It's really dumb--I prefer just giving the AI more leadership instead of also nerfing your player units.

Decus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 10, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

I imagine they'd still hold up pretty well on normal. Once you start getting into leadership penalties from difficulty, the gobbos would probably rout before you can tell.

Seriously though, great weapon warriors do piss all damage to unarmored targets.

Chomp can be an rear end, but you almost got it with leadership, except harder isn't leadership penalties, easy gives you so much bonus that it can unbalance things.

Goblins don't have the best leadership, so removing that issue makes them way stronger on easy. I'd highly recommend moving battle difficulty to normal, even if you keep the campaign on easy, it's a lot more interesting and I think the game really shines there more.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What kind of sustained attack do I need to dislodge Hellcannon crew? I have Archaon and Sarthorel reinforcing each other with about ten cannons total and if I take those off the field with bats / wolves / vargs the battle is mine.

Rakthar posted:

For anyone considering a VC or Empire campaign, try the conquer anywhere mod. The ability to expand to useful places pretty much fixed their campaigns for me.

Interestingly enough I wonder if the decision to yank conquer anywhere was fairly late in the game. As VC when I take over Zufbar it has unique province buildings that buff unit xp when recruited, and that sure looks like a logical expansion spot for VCs.

Whether it was or not, the ability to conquer dwarf and ork stuff as humans and vc made things a lot more enjoyable.
Nah. Having vampiric corruption already keeps anyone near me from getting too feisty and with minimal economic management this game would get kinda boring if all I had to do was paint myself a walled corner in time to face north.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 10, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I'd highly recommend moving battle difficulty to normal, even if you keep the campaign on easy

This isn't a thing anymore.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Something funny happened in my VC "emigration to Tilea campaign" (hard difficulty).

Had good ol' Mannfred conquering what's left on Brettonia, got Parravon and Montfort, turn 120-something, the Empire is still alive and pretty strong, so Chaos seemed to be doing a lousy job. My plan was to wipe out Brettonia and then slowly crawl my way up north, to Altdorf, but suddenly, Chaos happened:

Fricking Archaon and his cronies Kholek and Salthorael appeared, killing King Louen on the process. Didn't had any warning about this, Altdorf still stands, Nuln is untouched and Middenheim is still whole, why the heck are this assholes are here? To get it clear, this fuckers have just beelined for my position this entire time, only razing whatever settlements there were in their way. Sure, travel across the entire Empire to go after the undead in the far corner of the map like damned guided missiles, not even the strongest faction. Good move, game.

In the next few turns, hilarity ensued.

My banshee squad of hit-girls assasinated Kholek and Salthorael. Just like that, all their training fending off Brettonia's agents have finally paid off.

Kholek's ex-army laid siege to Parravon (I had half a stack there) with the other two nearby to assault (eating attrition due to vampiric corruption).

To make a long story short, with some maneauvering around and some baiting, managed to lure away Archaon and the other stack away from the city and from each other. The half stack and the garrison of Parravon (a level 5 city) made a sally and massacred the crippled stack, then moved in to support my main army attacking Archaon.

Not even a contest.

The poor sod and his army were already injured due to their fight with Louen, my vargheist knocked him around until Mannfred came to deal the final blow.

A few more fights to wipe out the rest and that would be the easiest Chaos invasion in history.

Seriously, five doomstacks crossed the entire map straight up for me?

Welp, first things first, my hit-girls assasinated Kholek again. And all their armies tried to siege Parravon.

Then I made a dumb greedy mistake, I used my half stack to wipe out a crippled army outside the city and use Mannfred and his boys to garrison the city. Then the AI used one of the armies lead by one of the generic Chaos Lords to attack my small army and couldn't outrun them. Except it wasn't a Chaos Lord anymore, but loving Archaon again, who appears to get out of the hospital and substitued the lord inmediatly. Sigh, my poor army was gonna get wipe out and it had 3 heroes. Dammit.

Their army is choke full of chosen and knights, so no way in hell I'm winning this battle. Gonna try to do as much damage as possible.

Surpisingly, Archaon the Everfailure, being the tactical genius he is, decided that he and his cavalry charging ahead of their foot troops was a good idea. A liberal use of spirit leech (death lore is OP) and a dogpile by my heroes and Archaon was dead. Again. But that did not stop the rest of the Chaos army, who quickly murdered my entire army. Except my lord and the three heroes, who endured.

And brutally slaughtered everyone they could and sent the rest running like the lap dogs they are :black101:

Couldn't believe my eyes. Godammit VC heroes are mega OP. That should be the end of it, but no, because I'm super dumb.

Didn't get them far away enough and Sigvald's army jumped on them inmediately. And that battle was even harder than before.

My entire army, deployed in the corner for max cheese factor.

Of course, Sigvald got trounced almost inmediately, he was only level 4. But the enemy arrmy was huge and didn't take much morale damage from that, and then I discovered that trying to deploy in the corner may have been a double edged sword.

The sheer mass of the Chaos army pushed my heroes against the border of the map and kept them locked in a strange animationn most of the time, so they killed enemies very very slowly while taking damage.

Nearly lost Carla, because she didn't have the inmortal will skill, but she's my girl. And the King is just the tankiest tank that ever tanked. Good thing I decked all of them with magic armor and weapons. But none of this matters.

All that matters is that four stood against many, and won :black101:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

There is a separate battle difficulty slider in the options menu bro, how did you conclude it's not a thing?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any word on fixing the bug where raise dead sometimes just doesn't ever benefit from high deathcounts for people?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Next level poo poo right here.

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any word on fixing the bug where raise dead sometimes just doesn't ever benefit from high deathcounts for people?

The devs appear skeptical that it even exists so I wouldn't put too much hope in a quick fix.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So is it worth putting charge bonus on Karl Franz when he gets Deathclaw?

How does he react on a flying unit instead of on the ground/mounted?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I still can't believe people actually dislike RO. It's one of their very best ideas, from a gameplay and story perspective.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Koorisch posted:

So is it worth putting charge bonus on Karl Franz when he gets Deathclaw?

Definitely because once he gets Deathclaw he becomes a lord/hero murdering machine. Extra charge bonus is potent when you are gunning for a one-model target and you have a flying mount that lets disengage --> re-charge with impunity.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Why are hellcannons unbreakable? Is that a tabletop thing?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rygar201 posted:

I still can't believe people actually dislike RO. It's one of their very best ideas, from a gameplay and story perspective.

Agreed 100%. You're always gonna have some whiny babbies that resist change though so I guess having the mod around is the best solution. At least this way the babbies just mod themselves a worse game and enjoy that instead of complaining to the rest of us about the mechanic for years.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Rygar201 posted:

So to reiterate the guy who asked earlier in the thread and didn't get a resposne

What the hell is RO? Why are people talking about it like everyone knows what it is?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

What kind of sustained attack do I need to dislodge Hellstorm crew? I have Archaon and Sarthorel reinforcing each other with about ten cannons total and if I take those off the field with bats / wolves / vargs the battle is mine.

Nah. Having vampiric corruption already keeps anyone near me from getting too feisty and with minimal economic management this game would get kinda boring if all I had to do was paint myself a walled corner in time to face north.

In the fight that I'm about to post screenshots from, I sent all my fliers to the cannons while my ground units formed a line. The cannons just shot ineffectually at terrorgheists, and once Archaon's army walked far enough toward my ground army, I dropped vargheists, terrorgheists, and Manny on his cannons and ate them. Meanwhile, Sarth's army, which was reinforcing, spawned way too far back to shoot anything with its cannons and the army itself ran directly toward my ground army, leaving them way behind. One unit of regular bats ate all those cannons as the rest of my fliers went back to get ready to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

It is. Also yes, hard and very hard give leadership penalties, but easy gets bonuses, normal is mostly 0 values.

Question about adding more ai actions per turn, did the AI seem smarter and perform better? Or did it just increase agent spam?

• Locked thread