Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

flyboi posted:

But seriously though I'm gonna GORF post for a second although not as long as a GORF post.

(:words: I agree with removed)

My prediction? SQ42 chapter 1 will happen whenever, they'll continue with these bullshit "patches" on the PTU and eventually do a hand wave and proclaim the PTU is complete, bugs and all. CIG is setting up everything so they can get the shittiest turd out the door to meet legal expectations while keeping all the cash these idiots are shoveling to them.
I like a lot of what you wrote -- and, in the spirit of a good effort post, I'm offering one in reply. I wish I could drop in pics easily and do this right but I'm writing it hastily on a phone...

-----

What to Do About Squadron 42?

If we assume the Stretch Goal pledge tracker is accurate, we already see signs of capitulation in a formerly bullish backer base. Given their headcount, they surely have a seven figure monthly burn. And we don't even know what the monthly outflows are for chargebacks.

The rapacious new ToS, combined with PayPal's end of refunds on crowdfunding at the end of the month, heightens the risk considerably of a run on the chargebank bank. It's so provocative I still find it hard to believe CIG released it.

Nobody knows whether CIG has $50M in the bank or $5M. What we DO know and predicted -- what must be obvious now to Chris & Co -- is that Squadron 42 is not their golden goose. In fact, it looks more and more like a black hole. Chris the Director and Sandi the Actress want it so much more than the market does-- yet how can a $60 PC-only title hope to produce a meaningful return next to the game that sells the promise of "a living breathing universe" so it can sell IOUs for highly fidelitous spaceships for prices as low as $30 and high as $2500? Backers haven't yet understood (and CIG hasn't yet admitted) that the impetus driving persistence is further monetization, with AlphaUEC the spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

We've seen so many troubling warning signs for Squadron 42. The uncanny valley Admiral Bishop speech had even loyal backers offering helpful suggestions for reshoots (!!!). The Morrow Tour preview was, in hindsight, a bigger mistake -- seeing as it gave the impression the film, er game, features talking mannequins with photoluminescent teeth who clip through doors and even each other as they spend small dull eternities monologuing at the player yet staring at an empty chair two seats away.

The hubris only further reinforces the delusory disconnect on display, with CIG's John Schimmel claiming the game "will kick other games in the rear end!" on an official CIG promo video.

It is easy to assume -- and many have -- that the single player game should be a cakewalk. Unburdened as it is with netcode considerations, how hard could it really be? Indeed, Chris has made this very game before several times over his career. Yet the genre he helped popularize -- branching narrative cinematic dogfighting adventures in space -- are not what they used to be. The game is the same, it just got more fierce-- and now Squadron 42 will be up against the very AAA franchise he once claimed his FPS would equal or exceed.

IGN posted:

As divisive as the Call of Duty franchise is every year, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare actually has a lot working in its favor. For starters, since the last IW-developed CoD, the studio has picked up some new blood, including a pair of former Naughty Dog designers, Jacob Minkoff (Design Director) and Taylor Kurosaki (Narrative Director) whose works include the Uncharted series and The Last of Us.

Secondly, Infinite Warfare will take place throughout our solar system and include new customizable vehicles for dog fighting, alongside non-linear side missions in its campaign. All that to say we’re looking at a hugely ambitious kind of Call of Duty campaign experience that could be something really special. Plus, more zombies, probably in space. Space zombies.

(Oh, and it doesn't just have zombies, and it's got Jon Snow as the bad guy.)

The trailer for the game may have proven wildly unpopular but this is a title that will sell 13M copies of it's a failure. It's likely to be a lot of fun-- both its single player and (unlike Squadron 42) multiplayer forms. It's shipping THIS November -- for PC and consoles. It started later and it's already all but done -- before Squadron 42 has shown even a hint of real gameplay, before a vertical slice has been seen by anyone, before the mo-cap has finished, before the game has gotten past the Alpha stage.

Why am I saying all this? I guess because, more and more, I just find myself questioning the business case for Squadron 42 entirely. It could've been easy -- it should've been easy -- yet Easy left town in 2015, Hard came to replace him in 2016, and Impossible is taking his place next year. And he's not going away.

Chris is going to have to make a hard, hard choice here. To commit fully to Squadron 42's completion probably means throwing bad money after worse. If cash grows harder and harder to come by, and the competition delivers something impossible to beat, the money he spends to complete it will come at the expense of the vehicle that flew him so very, very high. The one that most of his financiers wanted. The one that offers him the better chance of continued employment.

If they aren't yet doing the cost/benefit analysis on completion of it, somebody needs to-- STAT. And if cash reserves are precious, it's probably time to kill it, or at the very least, put it in long term storage.

A Possible Silver Lining:

The PS4.5 and Xbox Scorpio will be coming to us by 2017 (I think) and perhaps with some elbow grease and pared down ambitions, Squadron 42 could be retooled for these new fidelitous console platforms and have an easier time recouping its huge expense. If cash permits if, I think Chris should turn complete control over the completion of the project to a Pro (maybe spinning off a seperate dev studio) and get the hell out of their way, with the mandate "Done is right."

-----

(These are just my opinions-- many of them speculative. As always, I could be wrong.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

quote:

You acknowledge and agree that the Game and the pledge items delivered to you may differ in certain aspects from the description of the Game and those pledge items that was available on the Website at the time of your Pledge.

quote:

However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a firm promise and may be extended by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time. Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has ceased development and failed to deliver the relevant pledge items and/or the Game to you.

Under the new TOS, any pledge item and indeed any aspect of the entire game can differ from what was described to you when you bought it, any delivery date is now indefinite and at the sole discretion of CIG.

Note the wording of these two clauses: you cannot get a refund unless they completely cease development and don't deliver the game and/or pledge items. And on top of that the game and any pledge item can differ in any aspect to what was described. By my reading of this they could possibly claim they do not have to deliver any individual pledge item at all as long as they still deliver the game and the game they deliver does not even have to be what was promised!

That means they could even try to say any alpha version they currently have fulfills the TOS, we're done here no refunds you got the game and/or your pledge item, the game just differs from how we described it, you agreed to this.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
So can we openly call it a scam now?
edit and where is Derek for the ELE, this is his legals' weekend

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nellistos posted:

So can we openly call it a scam now?

No bones about it, it's pretty obviously so. There's not even a faintest hint of reasonable doubt left, which is honestly a good part of what CIG was floating on.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Agree. Enough with the "romanticism".
Oh "mismaaaanagement". Uhh a "dreamer".
lol

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Dante80 posted:

Oh noes!

Funny for being such a diehard fan her Cult ID is pretty drat high. I thought she'd have been with them since the beginning or something.

Mine is in the early five digits and even that was post Kickstarter.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

lazorexplosion posted:

Under the new TOS, any pledge item and indeed any aspect of the entire game can differ from what was described to you when you bought it, any delivery date is now indefinite and at the sole discretion of CIG.

Note the wording of these two clauses: you cannot get a refund unless they completely cease development and don't deliver the game and/or pledge items. And on top of that the game and any pledge item can differ in any aspect to what was described. By my reading of this they could possibly claim they do not have to deliver any individual pledge item at all as long as they still deliver the game and the game they deliver does not even have to be what was promised!

That means they could even try to say any alpha version they currently have fulfills the TOS, we're done here no refunds you got the game and/or your pledge item, the game just differs from how we described it, you agreed to this.

When cig first started denying refunds because a "sizeable portion of the game was delivered" a bunch of us said they're just gonna pepper some content into the alpha and call it a complete game

A sizeable part of their tos is dedicated to ways you can't get your money back and too bad if you gave it to them. Something you will never see in any game. Not to the extent where they state by accepting these terms you cannot sue us.

They've been setting up backers for major disappointment and are protecting themselves from the backlash.

gently caress cig.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ha ha, oh my god that new TOS. No wonder they shoved 2.4 live.

Here's a bug ridden shithole, oh and to play the bug ridden shithole, please agree to get hosed.

:5:

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Sandi: "Sorry guys, was probated what happened during the weekend?"

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Star Citizen - Terms Of Scam

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Scruffpuff posted:

Does everyone need to be loving stupid to get a job at CIG? Is that part of the interview? So let's wind the clock back some 12 years when Half-Life 2 released. You're running and gunning, and you hit one of the game's scripted sequences. You're never taken out of character, and you're allowed to roam freely around. A good example is when you get to the hideout with Barney, the doctor, and Alyx. They go into this whole scripted conversation sequence and you're free to walk around the lab and gently caress around. But interestingly enough, during some stages, if you're close enough to the characters, they would actually turn their heads to look at you while they were talking. So even though the sequence was scripted, there was that little sense of presence included - track where the player is, and make sure the NPC characters face the player if and when it's appropriate, and talk to him.

Many, many games do this. You can't do this if you're relying on motion capture for your cinematic sequences. Games and movies are two completely different mediums, and they should not emulate each other. I thought "immersion" was a sperg buzzword? Well guess what, you can either have immersion, or you can have cinematics. The player is never, ever going to feel like they're "in a movie" (which is a loving stupid thing to want to feel in the first place) - at best the player will feel like they're in the middle of a stage play, watching all the motion-capture happening around them while the NPCs don't notice, or care, that you're there. A motion-captured NPC can't head-track the player. They can't stop what they're doing to react. The player is reduced to a spectator, waiting for the "motion-captured cinematic pieces with HUGE NAME ACTORS (something else nobody gives a poo poo about)" to complete so they can get on with attempting to play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYqyHBTZjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQRUz9MTxiA

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I suggest we refer to CIG as Company Using Nefarious Terms of Service, CUNTS for short.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
As fate would have it, I just now stumbled upon the official theme song of this new TOS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLJYyEfuhDE

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Turd Burglar posted:

When cig first started denying refunds because a "sizeable portion of the game was delivered" a bunch of us said they're just gonna pepper some content into the alpha and call it a complete game

A sizeable part of their tos is dedicated to ways you can't get your money back and too bad if you gave it to them. Something you will never see in any game. Not to the extent where they state by accepting these terms you cannot sue us.

They've been setting up backers for major disappointment and are protecting themselves from the backlash.

gently caress cig.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Minimum (legally) viable product!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I must say that it has been an amazing ride these passed few years on the internet where "Trolling" and the concept of a troll has become "You don't like a thing, you must be trolling."

We've come a long way, folks.

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

Streetroller posted:

So up until about 2 hours ago when I read the new ToS I was supporting Star Citizen.

Truth be told, I'm not a Derek fan... and I have a significant investment in Star Citizen...

But with all the recent events of finding out I'm being labeled, the plagiarism, this new ToS made me genuinely angry.
I don't believe that the ToS is legal, because it's worded as a "Contract" with the new indefinite clause in it.

That's a perpetuity contract, I'm pretty sure... and not legal here in the States.
Anyone know a good lawyer?

Whale cum

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
It seems to be the general trend. And I dislike a lot of things that people like, like sports. I'm a true internet scumsuck!

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
PSA: Read carefully your Terms Of Service before agreeing to them.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/332430/psa-read-carefully-your-terms-of-service-before-agreeing-to-them

Nellistos fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 11, 2016

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

No commando they have plenty of money left

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Whoa, curveball! Shitizens are totally fine with never receiving the game they paid for. This draconian new TOS is totally reasonable. Nothing but drama. Furthering Derek Smart's agenda.

In other news, I'm putting all my savings into schadenfreude futures.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Whales trying to grow wings in the TOS RSI Forums topic .

Yeah, don't visit if it affects you, although i do not think it stands a chance.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

This is the first tos for a game I've ever read through

I looked up some other games tos and no other game I found looks anything like that

It's groundbreaking tos development

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

ManofManyAliases posted:

The Dragonfly will likely be flyable this year. The Drake pipeline has been completed so we're going to see the Caterpillar this year as well.

:yeah: You go CIG!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SelenicMartian posted:

I suggest we refer to CIG as Company Using Nefarious Terms of Service, CUNTS for short.

I suggest we don't, but nice acronym all the same.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Streetroller posted:

About $3000 (From RSI directly, not gifted)

Unfortunately, I am in the USA - East Coast. I've already sent in my request, but I'm assuming it will be denied as I had to use the website in-order to send in the request in the first place, thereby agreeing to the terms according to them.
I've started documenting everything. I've paid through PayPal, but it was back in 2014, so I'm not sure they will allow a chargeback of that magnitude from that period.

Like I said, I am pretty sure that the ToS "Contract" is illegal due to the perpetuity nature of it... but hopefully this won't end in court.

You need to do this fast, CIG will be going out of business at some point soon-ish. The clock is ticking. One of your best bets is to use the new TOS as justification, make a fuss in public, contact polygon who wrote this Some Star Citizen backers who claim full pledge refunds are getting their money back quoting

quote:

In an interview with Polygon this week, Cloud Imperium founder Chris Roberts said that refunds are being given out. "We don't publicize it, but when people reach out to us and talk to us in a rational manner, in most cases we've refunded them," he said. "We don't want people to be part of the project if they're not happy."

Contact every other gaming media that has published positive or negative coverage of the "game". Start a blog with screenshots of your interactions with customer support, if you find a contact number, phone them record the calls if that's legal in your area. Don't delay, push push and keep pushing, if you make enough of a fuss refunding you in full makes economic sense for them (don't accept a low ball offer).

Push paypal hard before their cut off date, try your bank, credit card, read Derek's refund advice too, think he made a post on it.

AP fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 11, 2016

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Im gonna call cigs refund policy the "no take backsies" clause

And their you can't sue us agreement the "no take backsies times infinity" clause

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Turd Burglar posted:

This is the first tos for a game I've ever read through

I looked up some other games tos and no other game I found looks anything like that

It's groundbreaking tos development

We've seen it change right in front of us several times now, this is the most open TOS development in gaming history

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I realize no media outlet will want to be the first to pull the trigger on this, they much prefer to wait until they can smell blood in the water and the amount of toxicity journalists face at the hands of any game fandom is real. One doesn't need to imagine how much worse SC's fanbase is, we've seen them lash out at people multiple times.

But I still can't wait to see if some consumer protection watchdogs decide to make this into news.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I made a Frontier account to better keep track of the SC thread fun and lol just lol

No other thread has something like this as far as I can tell.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Skellybones posted:

I made a Frontier account to better keep track of the SC thread fun and lol just lol

Yeah, that was Frontier responding to SC backers singing up to the forums and complaining about the thread, and DSs participation in it.
Funnily enough, the thread has not been affected in any way by that disclaimer..XD

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Skellybones posted:

YOU SHOULD ALL BE GLAD THAT FRONTIER DOESN'T BAN YOU ALL FOR PROMOTING DIRECT COMPETITION TO ELITE:DANGEROUS!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Funny how these dickheads hide behind ITS A PLEDGE< SO ITS NO REFUNDABLE< then those fuckhead cronies advertise a SALE ITEM on the website the SAME loving DAY

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not going to spellchcek on an internet forum, even more that it is a comedy forum and I'm running around - busy - in between posts. If it comes out right - great. If not, I'm sure people will get over it.

edit: 2.4 is live in the mPU now. Time to go have some fun!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

The Dragonfly will likely be flyable this year. The Drake pipeline has been completed so we're going to see the Caterpillar this year as well.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Nice to see the desperation setting in and the sandbags piling high ready for the flooding.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

It's a hovercar.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kakarot posted:

Funny how these dickheads hide behind ITS A PLEDGE< SO ITS NO REFUNDABLE< then those fuckhead cronies advertise a SALE ITEM on the website the SAME loving DAY

"You cannot get a refund from a product purchase under the old TOS unless the 'release date not known' +18 months has elapsed."

"If you do not accept the new TOS, you invalidate your signing of the old TOS and therefore cannot get a refund."

"By accepting the new TOS, we've pushed back the refund date indefinitely."

Also, a new way of thinking is being born in front of my very eyes. Despite the original release date for Star Citizen was, and always will be, November 2014, because they (the TOS') never explicitly say this (apparently) that means that the game has never had a release date and therefore the TOS actually refers to: Heat death of the universe (Billions of billions of years from now) + 18 months.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

If it comes out right - great. If not, I'm sure people will get over it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lmao if these dumbass gaming "journalists" don't write a piece on this slimy tos change. you suck rear end and don't deserve to make a living doing what you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

no wonder they pulled out from e3, they wanted as little scrutiny from media as possible for the next little while and managed to time it perfectly

• Locked thread