Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Coolguye posted:

I'd really like it if the Encamp button still let you move up to the 50% you can just so I could trudge my way through the northlands to eradicate the tribes without having to guess what 50% of my campaign movement is

Hold the right mouse button down while you drag the arrow, and look at the bar on the far bottom left near the portrait. The green part is movement left, the yellow part is consumed. Congratulations, you just fixed your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arglebargle III posted:

They also said that the AI was correct to use high HP units as meat shields, it just wasn't what players wanted. The AI is using those units to get fewer deaths in your army, but men are easier to replace than HP on a giant so people aren't happy with what would be proper play outside a campaign context.

I've Autoresolved 20 vs 6 matches and my Terrorghiest will still take 50% or more damage. Usually against units it could solo by itself without even losing that much Hp. It's a bit broken.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
It would be nice if being in encamp state just set a hard limit on movement range however to save loving about switching in and out.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

Hold the right mouse button down while you drag the arrow, and look at the bar on the far bottom left near the portrait. The green part is movement left, the yellow part is consumed. Congratulations, you just fixed your problem.

Yeah this has been invaluable in my Kislev run, in addition to maxing out the reduce attrition stats. As soon as I had a decent sized army I went on a blitz into nearby Varg territory and cleared out my borders within twenty turns. The Skaeling did eat up the rest after I pushed their poo poo in, and there was a hairy moment when the Skaeling and Chaos were threatening Kraka Drak, but otherwise I've got everything down to a dull roar. I'm in alliance with all the Empire States and most of the Bretonnian duchies, but Leon is conquering the north of the Empire while Mannfred refuses to die. I'm only just now managing to pull some armies together to deal with the Vampires.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Third World Reggin posted:

it kinda upsets me but yah, it feels like I am playing goblins half of the time

I should probably try it with an all mounted force but chaos knights are just so loving good compared to anything bretonnia has now

I'm pretty sure the way things are statted now, Chaos Knights with Lances are roughly equivalent to Grail Knights.

Fans posted:

I've Autoresolved 20 vs 6 matches and my Terrorghiest will still take 50% or more damage. Usually against units it could solo by itself without even losing that much Hp. It's a bit broken.

This is the only thing about playing VC that I hate. Auto-resolve is a massive time saver because holy poo poo gently caress fighting every boring little garrison or mop up battle, but VC are so monster-heavy that you take serious amounts of attrition even against enemies that have absolutely no plausible way to harm your monsters. In past games, I've lost my Varghulf early game by auto-resolving against lovely half-dead Stirland stacks, and I've lost three units of Crypt Horrors to autoresolving against a level two garrison where the autoresolve bar was 100% yellow in my favor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mazz posted:

hell of an idea, thank you

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Coolguye posted:

hell of an idea, thank you

One thing, be very careful around the 50% mark, as you can move 51% really easily where the yellow is barely visible, which will lock you into ambush or reg movement.

On a side note, I shelved the watchtower mod for now because the occupation stuff is extremely tedious to work with and there are problems I ran into with attacking other faction's cities. I'll probably come back to it in a bit but its really draining to work on since it's a bit of a clusterfuck. Most of it seems hardcoded (written as functions somewhere I don't have access to is my guess) so my options feel extremely limited.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 12, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kanos posted:

I'm pretty sure the way things are statted now, Chaos Knights with Lances are roughly equivalent to Grail Knights.

Chaos knights with barding are pretty close to grail knights, but chaos knights have a bit better melee attack and defense which make up for that. The barding chaos knight also have slightly more armor piercing which means they tend to win engagements.

And grail knights cost way more upkeep in campaign so the AI can field a lot more chaos knights. The bretonnian tech tree might be fan made or already in the game files, who knows, but there isn't really a reduction in their cost and the bretonnian economy is really bad until you work your way down to warhammer spain.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

ZenVulgarity posted:

Gelt is a bitch

Yes. Yes he is. I made the mistake of picking him over Karl Franz for a multiplayer game and I don't know how anyone does anything with that useless sack of poo poo. His starting spell is almost completely worthless. I had a battle where despite scoring several direct hits with it, he finished with 0 kills. Just go Karl Franz all day every day, at least until they add in some other Legendary Lords like Volkmar the Grim or Kurt Helborg.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I actually enjoy playing Gelt and his starting army but seriously, Searing Doom is the one spell in the game so bad that it does literally nothing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Turns out if you rebuild ruins you don't get the achievement for occupying somewhere i.e. Kislev as VC after Chaos burns it to the ground.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

madmac posted:

I actually enjoy playing Gelt and his starting army but seriously, Searing Doom is the one spell in the game so bad that it does literally nothing.

I think there might be something up with how it reports. I'm using a magic mod that turns all magic up to 11, and I've wiped out units with that spell after they've been weakened by a couple of cannon shots, but gotten no kill counters after the battle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shumagorath posted:

Turns out if you rebuild ruins you don't get the achievement for occupying somewhere i.e. Kislev as VC after Chaos burns it to the ground.

Yeah you have push the button that says "occupy", not the button that says "colonize".

Just like how you get the "ultimate grudge" for razing Karaz-a-Karak even if the greenskins were the ones in there.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695024040

It is a complete rebalance of spells, spell skill "trees" and the major artifacts.

It is very good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'd be kind of interested to get a breakdown on what all spawns a grudge for the dwarves

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Looking forward to new Legendary Lords almost as much as new factions because I'm a big chump

Like a goblin LL which encourages goblin spam with the greenskins.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Chaos knights with barding are pretty close to grail knights, but chaos knights have a bit better melee attack and defense which make up for that. The barding chaos knight also have slightly more armor piercing which means they tend to win engagements.

And grail knights cost way more upkeep in campaign so the AI can field a lot more chaos knights. The bretonnian tech tree might be fan made or already in the game files, who knows, but there isn't really a reduction in their cost and the bretonnian economy is really bad until you work your way down to warhammer spain.

Iirc Grail knights do magic damage, which skips armor doesn't it?

Also that's a shame because especially with the tech upgrades, reiksguard are better than Chaos Knights, let alone demigryphs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After playing a decent bit of multiplayer yesterday I really feel like magic is in a bad place in that area. Most spells are useless, and the ones that are good are way to good. Death magic is the big offender but not the only one. Everyone knows about spirit leech and how it can turn most matches into a hero snipe duel.

But Fate of Bjuna is possibly even worse. There are units that can be one click deleted by it. Outriders will be destroyed from full health with one cast. Hexwraiths, which cost 1500g, are deleted by one cast of Fate of Bjuna. For 13 mana. A loving Steam Tank will go down to 3 or 4 casts of spirit leech, which might sound like a lot but is only 24 mana in total. 24 mana to kill a 2200g unit. That's a the real problem with magic right now. Spirit leech and other snipe make any investment into a non-sniping general a liability. Fate of Bjuna nullifies many elite units. These combine to drive players towards boring rosters or lose. Cavalry over 1000g is not viable against a death mage. Single model units are an extreme risk.

And honestly they don't even need to necessarily reduce the potency of these spells to balance them. Increasing the cost of some spells might do it. Or reducing the range. Or a combination. All I know is that deleting expensive units with one click, for not that much mana, from gunshot range or more is just terrible.

I'd say that across the board direct target needs to be nerfed in some way. A lot of buff and AOE spells aren't actually bad per se, it's just that they are not worth it when when you can use that mana to just click-delete enemy units and heroes from the battlefield.

Disclaimer: all analysis above is from Large unit size. I have both done and received everything described.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 12, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's cool how the magic system CA came up with is both way too powerful and remarkably boring to use. And I agree with what's being thrown around. A few magic spells are just ridiculously broken, managing to make multiplayer and some campaign battles dumb. In exchange the magic system is at best dull.

Lots of time and effort went into that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there an option i can tell my waagh buddies to just sack settlements? they keep occupying stunty settlements when i just want them as sacking targets.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I feel like CA somehow chickened out with area spell damage at the last minute, you can see very effective use of vortex spells even in just the streams they were doing a week prior to release (which was a slightly older build.)

By comparison I've watched some of the post release ones and even the CA guys can't be bothered throwing out a vortex spell anymore except as a distraction because they do nothing now.

How Death dodged that kind of general rebalancing I have no idea but it's pretty obnoxious combined with the fact that the highest damage remaining spells are also the ones that are cheap, with great range and short cooldowns that never miss and have no counter whatsoever.

With Spirit Leech and Fate nerfed you'll see other spells used more but I don't agree that damage spells generally are in a good place. Purple Sun does something like 100 damage, it's embarrassing how bad it is. The absolute top-tier aoe damage spells are just barely worth using sometimes in limited circumstances.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 12, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Going heavy micro on a light wizard you can rack up hundreds of kills with his bolt spell, and it's actually pretty battle changing - land him on a flank and cast two bolts, suddenly two or three enemy units are missing 30 or 40 guys a piece and are close to routing, even on ultra unit size

Compare that to searing doom, where you can drop it repeatedly on a unit and their hp barely even dips

madmac posted:

With Spirit Leech and Fate nerfed you'll see other spells used more but I don't agree that damage spells generally are in a good place. Purple Sun does something like 100 damage, it's embarrassing how bad it is. The absolute top-tier aoe damage spells are just barely worth using sometimes in limited circumstances.

I'd like magic that's capable of turning the tide - the counter to it is the fact that most spellcasters are extremely frail and vulnerable to griffons and cannonballs. The only thing that would suck is vampires, who are melee monsters AND spellcasters, but we're basically already in that situation so

VC is really the easiest single player campaign right now - even on very hard, Mannfred just doesn't lose. You're free to just focus on economic buildings and run around with him, his varghulf, his growing vampire harem and some random chaff and you'll still crush whatever you end up against.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 12, 2016

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
You haven't lived until you've seen some orc boy biguns get absolutely wrecked by a few quarrelers even after their charge connects

I know they said 'decent in melee' but come on

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

shalcar posted:

The AI just swapped a Lord out with another one! Why can the AI cheat like that?
It isn't cheating, you can do it too! You can swap Lords at any time. Want Karl Franz to take over a stack from Joe Nobody? Boom, one click and it's done.

Can this be done with both lords in the field? All I see is an option to replace a lord with an unhired one.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

archangelwar posted:

Can this be done with both lords in the field? All I see is an option to replace a lord with an unhired one.

No, they have to be unassigned. If they get wounded or something once they return they can get swapped back in to any army immediately.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there any reliable way to force a lord to focus on a particular unit (ie: a hero or lord) in a fight rather than getting bogged down in chaff. It seems like half the time I send my lord after another character the enemy character just kind of walks away while my lord decides to gently caress up some random spearmen

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a mod out there that has a custom unit for the Empire: a bunch of warrior-priests that throw lightning bolts at enemies. All I can think of is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAqgIe05So&t=120s

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Magic swinging wildly between overpowered and useless is just another way this game is faithful to the tabletop :colbert:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Magic swinging wildly between overpowered and useless is just another way this game is faithful to the tabletop :colbert:

Yeah and the tabletop is a bad game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So what interesting mods are people using?

I've got The Empire of Sigmar installed. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to let Steam let me post screenshots of the preview images. So you'll have to check it out on there if you want to see what it looks like graphically.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691664240

That being said, it's a really neat mod that adds a ton of units as close to tabletop as possible. It also diversifies a bunch of imperial factions and adds units in so as to create new strategies and gameplay tactics without changing the original factions or homogenizing them. I really can't say anything bad about it. It's honestly a 100% improvement to the game in making it more varied and interesting on all fronts.

The Empire (Which was originally the only faction supported. He's slowly started to branch out, adding some units to other factions.) has a lot of neat stuff in this mod. Each elector count has their own unique units buildable in their cities, as opposed to it just being the generic playable Empire faction that gets neat stuff.

Nuln for instance is famed in the canon for being a city of engineers. It's where the artillery and gunners of top quality come from. So it can make new units like Nuln Engineers wielding the grenade rifles that the grenadier outriders have. Or Nuln Engineers with long rifles. Which are basically sniper divisions. Or wielding repeater handguns or repeater rifles for some line infantry era dakka. :black101:

This (annoying) guy shows off the repeater handguns and rifles if you're interested in that. Mind that he's remarkably stupid. He puts a bunch of repeater rifle units into a square formation facing away from the army around a mortar at the edge of the map. Then he wonders why only one side kills a somewhat ridiculous number of zombies instead of the insane number they'd have killed otherwise if he had made it so that half of them could actually shoot the things before they came into melee range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ITtrFwMowo

The different knightly chapters such as the Knights of the Blazing Sun have their chapterhouse where it is in canon as well. If you want a general idea of what it adds on that end, just look at the fluff and tabletop game for unit ideas appropriate to where they'd be in the game on the strategic map.

The other religions outside of generic Sigmar worship are represented as well. For instance, the militant end of the order of Morr (Basically a death god.) shows up and fitting to their reputation are :black101: melee combatants that can go toe to toe with the undead in attrition fights. Worship of Sigmar is also expanded to include a proper militant arm that has flagellants, battle pilgrims, etc, etc. Flagellants are in with a unique outfit that i'm assuming was either dummied out or held back for future DLC, along with other religious units. Which lets you play an Empire army as a religiously minded/high leadership group.

The AI can and will use these units too. So expect a huge change up in game play to make it more varied and interesting when dealing with the Empire. For instance, Wissenland will favor ranged armies that have lots of explosive dakka. And generally speaking the Empire as a whole on the strategic map is a much more interesting and lively place.

It also has a bunch of neat stuff for other factions. This is in addition to filling out Bretonnia's roster a bit to make them a proper nation.

Other factions are slowly getting some neat improvements as well. The Undead start out with a very basic mounted skeleton unit. It's utter poo poo in extended combat, but it fits pretty well as a low cost early game shock cavalry. They're basically the peasants that a Wight King would ride with into battle.

Orcs get some canon units too. Along with things like the bonegrinder giant. Which is like a giant on steroids. And loving huge. It's hands down the tallest unit in the game.

None of the additions on that end so far seem to have changed the game to be more homogeneous and boring like Radious Units does too. They just open up tactical options that have drawbacks in another field. IE: Fielding a bonegrinder giant means you have amazing staying and offensive power at the cost of it having a huge upkeep (Presumably due to having to feed the thing.) .

There's also several dogs of war he's managed to add in so far. I think the Border Princes and Tilea will field some special units now. This also makes them more viable on the strategic map instead of just being there to roll over. Since they tend to turtle up and field a number of high quality units to defend their borders and supplement their armies by the mid game.

As a huge side note regarding DLC: Interestingly enough, there are already alternate religion buildings in the game. If you pay close attention to the other provinces you can note that they'll make shrines that follow local gods. IE: Talabecland will sometimes create a shrine building to Taal that you only get partial benefits out of unless you demolish it and replace it with a shrine to Sigmar. I'm guessing this is to open up the other Empire factions to be playable in DLC down the line?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 12, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
All my griping aside I'm confident that the most egregious issues (eg Spirit Leech, Demigriffs) with be addressed in the first balance patch, I just wish we knew how much longer it was gonna be.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kanos posted:

This is the only thing about playing VC that I hate. Auto-resolve is a massive time saver because holy poo poo gently caress fighting every boring little garrison or mop up battle, but VC are so monster-heavy that you take serious amounts of attrition even against enemies that have absolutely no plausible way to harm your monsters. In past games, I've lost my Varghulf early game by auto-resolving against lovely half-dead Stirland stacks, and I've lost three units of Crypt Horrors to autoresolving against a level two garrison where the autoresolve bar was 100% yellow in my favor.
This is why I'm probably not going to cleanse the north. My best armies are monster-heavy so I'd have to bring my law & order stacks of mass graveguard and pray that Raise Dead can sustain them through the autoresolve march. I could definitely make it through with post-victory Invocation spam but them I'm fighting a gently caress-tonne of horsemen in the north because I don't want to fight them in the south.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

terrorist ambulance posted:

VC is really the easiest single player campaign right now - even on very hard, Mannfred just doesn't lose. You're free to just focus on economic buildings and run around with him, his varghulf, his growing vampire harem and some random chaff and you'll still crush whatever you end up against.

Mannfred vs Empire army

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arglebargle III posted:

They also said that the AI was correct to use high HP units as meat shields, it just wasn't what players wanted. The AI is using those units to get fewer deaths in your army, but men are easier to replace than HP on a giant so people aren't happy with what would be proper play outside a campaign context.
The issue is that if your giant takes HP damage that's no decline in your army's firepower, whereas if you lose 10 greatswords that decreases your attack power by that amount. So from a tactical viewpoint your army keeps its firepower longest if your large hp units take the damage. It's sort of an interesting conundrum.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The best part about Autocalc is that it doesn't take into account arc for ranged units.

Stack those Rifles and Organ Gun/Hellblasters.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has the Black Coach been tested for whether or not its gimmick works? I can finally build one after shuffling everything around in Eastern Sylvania but I don't know if it's worth it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

The issue is that if your giant takes HP damage that's no decline in your army's firepower, whereas if you lose 10 greatswords that decreases your attack power by that amount. So from a tactical viewpoint your army keeps its firepower longest if your large hp units take the damage. It's sort of an interesting conundrum.

Its not that I mind my units losing HP in an outsize fashion, its that I mind them dying. If I've got a single unit that's low on HP and replacing them is hard, I'm doing my best to keep them the hell out of combat. Especially since I'm autoresolving and therefore have a clear edge, I probably don't need that Vamp or Vargulf doing its thing the whole battle.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
This game is unplayable without some form of spell rebalancing mod, its just that bad and the spellcaster legendary lords are a loving joke. Gelt sucks, Kemmler looks like a grumpy old man and is outclassed by recruitable lords and Azhag is alright but Grimgor is such a boss. Reccomend everyone gets the magic mod linked earlier.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Kemmler is so bad that it has to be some intentional troll from CA. I mean come on, who can possibly look at Mannfred and Kemmler and go "yes, this seems balanced"?

Azhag is at least good once you get past his godawful start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I'm convinced Kemmler was originally intended to receive Krell as some kind of bodyguard from his weapon quest chain. Maybe it'll be added back in at some point.

• Locked thread