Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Even if COD is a linear shooter, who cares? It offers the same story-driven campaign SC does, and it does it better.

I just thought of something: what are the chances CIG/CR saw a preview of the COD gameplay video from a friend in the industry, and realized whatever they had paled in comparison to the point of being utterly embarrassing, and that's the reason they pulled out from E3? Because the whole "we're too busy!" excuse honestly doesn't fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

another good weekend of playing overwatch, which is a real game that is complete and fun to play that has not glitched out or crashed which of course is the opposite of star marine which is not actually a game or even a game within a game

Well, I did run into one spot in Doom, where after respawning (I did NOT get killed. Wait! What cliff behind me?), I would clip through the ground. Twice in a row.

So I restarted it. No problems. (I mean, I could restart it whenever I wanted to with no login errors!)

(Also, the netcode is :sicknasty:!)

(In addition, the ToS said nothing about fellating any id/Bethsoft staff, and not to illegally copy it, which CIG doesn't mind you do, as long as you blur the logos.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Justin Tyme posted:

Even if COD is a linear shooter, who cares? It offers the same story-driven campaign SC does, and it does it better.

I just thought of something: what are the chances CIG/CR saw a preview of the COD gameplay video from a friend in the industry, and realized whatever they had paled in comparison to the point of being utterly embarrassing, and that's the reason they pulled out from E3? Because the whole "we're too busy!" excuse honestly doesn't fly.

It's not linear actually. The single player campaign allows players to choose missions outside of a prescribed order, I think.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The missions themselves will be linear.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
But like everyone else said who cares Squad Commander 42 would be the same way.

And this is not only coming out this year but actually fun.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I know it will be but I'm saying it'd be nice if it weren't. It's honestly the first CoD campaign I've been interested in since Modern Warfare but in the same breath I know CoD campaigns and it'll be boring and easy. Yeah it's what SQ42 can be but I just hope/expect more from AAA publishers with what they've been doing outside of the CoD/BF annual releases.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Being Space Spider-Man would be pretty fun.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SurfaceDetail posted:

Lets think about this from another angle.

Maybe Chris got sent a copy of the trailer and he finally had enough shame to bow out. Not enough to stop the TOS. But baby steps

This. Or something like it.

Chris knew he'd look bad if he went to E3.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I'm not gonna lie guys, I am worried now that the paywall is down and reddit can see this thread.
If they get all their heads together and combine their intelligence they could easily almost spell the web address right to get here.

Dunno. I get Server Not Found when I try https://forums.saltyasshats.com.

I think we're safe enough.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

G0RF posted:

It's not linear actually. The single player campaign allows players to choose missions outside of a prescribed order, I think.

I meant the missions, yeah, like... well, COD, versus Crysis 1's missions.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Plural Abysss posted:

COD just shat all over CIG's face goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_s5EvEzVs

Um excuse me, how are you supposed to know you're moving in space without 1 trillion particles of white space crud zooming by you? Learn a thing or two from genre master Chris Croberts Activi$ion :rolleyes:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Lol - is that why you guys gang on me? Gotta keep up appearances to the public? "There's one in our midst - keep him at bay!"

lol.

I only jumped in because the things you were saying were offensively stupid and obnoxiously delusional. I think the only other time I really snarked on you was about your misspellings.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
God drat that CoD gameplay....

on another note I quote another poster, about the Death Stranding trailer

quote:

I haven't seen that many dead whales since Star Citizen dropped E3

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend
The sad thing is when all this folds up Crobbers will be boating around Capri blaming COD and THOSE drat PUBLISHERS AND THEIR MONEY and lack of talent due to THOSE drat PUBLISHERS and the spergs will gobble it up and barf it back out to avoid facing the pain.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's gotta be that, someone sent an early gameplay video to CIG and they left because of that. It's the most easy to believe reason they dropped out of free publicity at E3. But SQ42 is releasing this year, lol, yeah right.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Is that a loving space diesel engine?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
A selection of the top comments at r/CallOfDuty

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I honestly never really paid much attention to Call of Duty but drat that looks pretty cool and I hope the haters change their mind about it because anything attached to a trailer that's that badass deserves to succeed.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
lolllll helmet helmet helmet

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

From awhile back, but is crobbers in the states this week? I could of swore I heard disco say he would be in the states this week, on the last RtV. Is crobbers deliberately hiding now?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

he is up all night coding for squadron 42

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Ha ha ha. Only Rockstar will be able to compete huh Chris? Ya loving moron.

Yeah and Rockstar has been making open world games for 20 years, and GTA V is still a fraction of the game that Chris is claiming he'll be able to make. Also Rockstar never has and never will make a space game so I guess Chris can't even make proper comparisons.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Lime Tonics posted:

From awhile back, but is crobbers in the states this week? I could of swore I heard disco say he would be in the states this week, on the last RtV. Is crobbers deliberately hiding now?

Ben Lesnick Developer said that the Wig Commander was back "this weekend" and back in work on Monday. They record the shows on Friday I think so I'm sure we'll have another show of dreams from Crobbler's magic hands as he waves them around just as a conjurer does in the opening pre-act of complete pretension and fakery.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk9V1SUHi7w&t=553s

quote:

I think that may be one of the reasons a lot of people have shifted to multiplayer vs singleplayer because singleplayer in Call of Duty or even Battlefield is not really… Ok, it looks pretty, but do you really feel that you've accomplished something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcN6UkKfog&t=404s

quote:

Absolutely. That is part of the core design. We are trying to make the FPS gameplay itself be more tactical, less just "run and gun". Especially since it is more lethal than you would normally expect with a Call of Duty or something.

Looking forward to Gamescom Chris! :)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Plural Abysss posted:

COD just shat all over CIG's face goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_s5EvEzVs
well that was pretty loving dope

it reeks of "gameplay - but not really" like those old bioshock infinite e3 trailers and it'll probably be a scripted shooting gallery, but since all we've seen of squadron 42 is in the same vein i'll go with the one that actually had exciting things happening

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

he is up all night coding for squadron 42

Up all night spraying rank database schmeg all over the place

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Trip Report:

Spent an hour in Star Citizen - dunked on some nerds in their space wagons despite a complete lack of understanding of the controls and my space wagon flying like a half-baked turd. Flew between the 10 identical space stations. Evaded space timeout by walking through my wankpod doors every time I respawned. Fell through my ship 20 times. Fell through someone else's ship 10 times. Picked up a laser gun that my Commando couldn't figure out how to hold. Enjoyed the lack of view in a Starfarer bridge before being ejected into space. Listened to dorks talk about how when they get everything working Elite won't be able to catch up.

Gave up, spent 45 minutes in Elite. Enjoyed flying my spaceship. Landed on a planet nobody had ever been on in a system nobody had ever explored. Wrote my name all over that poo poo for eternity.

Also holy gently caress that CoD:IW trailer :five::kayak::five::kayak::five:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen is dead. Long live COD.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

momas fancy speeches and tricksy posting doesnt change the fact that if you boot up star citizen you have a barely-playable jankfest that is utter garbage by any standard

A] If you can get it to boot and
B] You can connect to their network.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing to note is being captain of said ship, crewed by NPC's, multiple decks, just like the dream of having your own Idris! Only for $60.

Additional benefits include Sandi NOT being your CO.

Day 1 purchase for me.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the crewman at my battle-station in a space battle in a pressurized environment not wearing a space suit aaaaand I'm dead.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

no_recall posted:

Another thing to note is being captain of said ship, crewed by NPC's, multiple decks, just like the dream of having your own Idris! Only for $60.

Additional benefits include Sandi NOT being your CO.

Day 1 purchase for me.

I can't wait for Shitizens to start finding ways to knock that. "Well b-b-b-but you don't technically steer it so it's not really comparable to the Idris!!!" as though that actually loving means anything in regards to how it plays.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Decrepus posted:

I am the crewman at my battle-station in a space battle in a pressurized environment not wearing a space suit aaaaand I'm dead.

Yeah that seems like Space Warfare 101.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
More abandoned assets from Star Marine popped up today

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DEB0e
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/n6OBr

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lladre posted:

The missions themselves will be linear.
So, it's a Mega Man game too?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I'm quoting an effort post from a little ways back-- now with updated graphics. Forgive me if it slows the thread to a crawl. I'll delete some if so.

G0RF posted:

The thing is-- they can not compete with them. They just can't. It's not just a question of rationality -- it's a question of talent, efficiency, and synergy.

CLOUD IMPERIUM CAN'T COMPETE

CIG can't compete with the AAA Space Games they know about -- and the certainly can't compete with the ones they don't know about. They are a floundering, disorganized studio -- the Ad Hoc-iest game studio in recent memory -- and they've betrayed this very fact repeatedly without intending to in the very shows meant to boost backer confidence in the project.

Over the last month or so, I have been astonished to see how many new faces have appeared on "Around the Verse". This most recent episode features an employee in LA who was on his very first day of work. His very first day.

I don't mean by mentioning him to impugn his talent or question his worth. He might be a great hire-- as might be all the new hires. But CIG is a Gaming Studio whose revolving door spins like a top -- so many leaving, so many coming in. It might take 3-6 months before a new hire reaches something approximating productivity. Yet CIG is not a well-tuned engine made faster or more efficient once new employees learn the ropes, it is a bucket brigade. Some fight fires, others try to keep the thing afloat.

Rockstar, Bethesda, Infinity Ward, Bioware-- these are machines. Work doesn't grind to a halt because some guy broke his arm, or because they lose a key employee, or because they can't fill a position. They may occasionally push a release date back three months, they may occasionally even lose a badass. But deadlines matter to them because they make their money AFTER release, not before.

And the most successful of them hardly lose employees at all. Bethesda Softworks has 100 employees. Some have worked together 5,10 even 20 years. Todd Howard touched on the mysterious shorthand that emerges between people who've worked together closely for that long in a recent speech at DICE. There are synergies CIG can't even dream of once a studio achieves that level of cohesion. It took 100 people 4 years to put out Fallout 4-- and they made nearly $1B in 24 hours upon release. CIG can't compete against such studios because they can't compete like them.

"YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GAME DEVELOPMENT!"

"Why, it's just the way the Games Industry works!", the backers always retort, as some did when Mark Skelton's surprise departure was announced only days ago. "You know nothing about Game Development if you don't know that!"

Alas, would that that were true. Would that it all were true! Than the steady flow of CIG arrivals and departures was a sign of the relative health of the company; a sign of good things to come for Star Citizen and Squadron 42.

Yet the perpetual turnover and ad hoc development habits of Cloud Imperium Games are not typical of every studio.

Nor are logjams where two years of motion capture animations pile up undeployed because there's no Technical Animator on-hand to port them into the game.

Nor is starting a new year without a development roadmap for the year ahead, necessitating ad hoc spitballing sessions between management power players spread across the globe.

Nor is prioritizing the addition of in-game Spacedoll clothes shopping when your tutorial is broken, your flight model ludicrous, and your FPS so bad you can put a clip full of bullets in an opponents head, only to watch him strike a T Pose and hover away.

THIS IS WHAT FLOUNDERING LOOKS LIKE

It explains quite neatly why Star Citizen remains in an unstable Alpha state, 4.5 years in, with less than 10% of its promised content and features available for players. A company like CIG does not have time to anticipate and then respond to their competitive threats because...

...Their Developers are too busy lining up all of Chris Roberts promised game features and deciding which ones to shoot in the head...

...Their QA teams are documenting bugs squashed months ago somehow resurrected with new patches...

...Their Customer Support folks are busy sending canned "too bad, so sad" replies to people asking for refunds...

... Their Community Team is too busy putting out weekly tv shows about Wing Commander arcana while denying viewers answers about delivery dates for content...

... Their Visionary Leader is too busy shooting even more footage for a long overdue single player game unlikely to ever recoup its development budget...

...and their Marketing Team, such as it is, continues to pursue her Hollywood dream while not even bothering to stay abreast of basic game developments like Evocati testing...

How can they respond to threats from without when fighting threats from within is a fulltime job?

I know this was true for the last few years, when Chris Roberts thought the Space Game race market would be fought over between him and his Frenemy of old, David Braben.

But 2016 has been a wake up call. and from what I can tell, yesteryear's sense of Manifest Destiny is beginning to crumble in the senior leadership. It is one thing to make offhand claims about developing a shooter on par with Call of Duty when you're primary competition is a space game that hasn't yet added space legs. It is quite another when the latest "Call of Duty" game is set in space and includes space dogfighting missions and Zero G combat.

"I sense a disturbance in The Farce..."

Except they may not have anything super impressive to show. They unfortunately now live in a world where the Admiral Bishop speech will be compared with Infinite Warfare cutscenes. It's going to be really hard to compete against that kind of polish, especially when Infinity Ward specifically prioritized improving the CoD storytelling elements and brought in some of the creatives behind "The Last of Us" and "Uncharted 4" to do just that.

Chris Roberts told us that AAA studios make creatively compromised games and subordinate creative visionaries to beancounter concerns. And in 3 years time, one of the biggest AAA franchises in gaming history has cooked up a Dogfighting and FPS movie game that Squadron 42 must now prove superior to, lest Chris' narrative be repudiated. I'm going out on a limb here, but I kinda think he's parped on that front...

Oh, and a few months after that, Mass Effect Andromeda arrives.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 14, 2016

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

G0RF posted:

THIS GUY GETS IT.

----

Reposting the Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare trailer as a courtesy for the new page.

CIG is really hosed, aren't they. SQ42 is going to look like clown shoes next to this. I'd love to know the reactions of CIG employees upon seeing this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When is gamegamer's con? Which will I assume be CIG's last chance at making a simple trailer before suffering a terrible collapse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SurfaceDetail posted:

Lets think about this from another angle.

Maybe Chris got sent a copy of the trailer and he finally had enough shame to bow out. Not enough to stop the TOS. But baby steps

if they were really his friends they wouldn't have sent him a copy of the trailer in advance

let the man show the world his glorious vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Decrepus posted:

When is gamegamer's con? Which will I assume be CIG's last chance at making a simple trailer before suffering a terrible collapse.

Gamescon is in August. Citizencon October. I would not be surprised if a huge number of people are being pulled off important dev work so they can all help crank out the the most fidelitous trailers in CIG's history.

• Locked thread