Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The EcoBoost 20 and 23 are all-aluminum.

AFAIK all of the 4 banger Ecoboosts are all aluminum, as are the 3.0 and 3.5 V6s. The 3 cylinder and the 2.7 V6 are iron block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The EcoBoost 20 and 23 are all-aluminum.

They both have cast iron cylinder liners. The 2.7 has CGI (iron) in the cylinder area.

wolrah posted:

AFAIK all of the 4 banger Ecoboosts are all aluminum, as are the 3.0 and 3.5 V6s. The 3 cylinder and the 2.7 V6 are iron block

The 3.0 has cast iron liners, the 3.5 has steel liners.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 13, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Don Lapre posted:

1.4 turbo is iron block

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/luv/#tab-2

Edit: looks like 2016+ is aluminum block.

Yep, that's why I said new Cruze. Can't even say 2016 because the old and new Cruze one are both being sold side by side as 2016's (2016 Cruze limited = old, 2016 Cruze = new). :wtc:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

fknlo posted:

I'd just assumed that most brands had switched over to aluminum blocks by now for the weight savings for mpg restrictions.

A lot of brands have switched, but I can see why VW stuck with an iron block for that engine. While it might seem primitive, an iron block can be manufactured with a closed deck, which is more durable and more stable than an alloy block with cast-in liners. That's probably part of the reason that such substantial power gains can be had without modifications to the bottom end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

They both have cast iron cylinder liners. The 2.7 has CGI (iron) in the cylinder area.

By that definition, what is actually all aluminum that's sold today?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

By that definition, what is actually all aluminum that's sold today?

Hmm, VR38DETT, for one. Which is why I said all aluminum block turbo cars don't exist at budget prices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It seems like you're obfuscating a bit when the comment was a cast iron block (not normal, old school) vs aluminum block (sleeved or lined however you please) - those things aren't remotely the same.

The EJ series I think is Alusil lined.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The rods in the VR38DETT are steel which is not aluminum checkmate. :smuggo:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I say we go back to magnesium engine blocks. Such great fun when the car catches fire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just replaced the magnesium case covers on my trackbike. I can't imagine having those somewhere on a car.... so brittle.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Magnesium made Mercedes leave racing for 30 years. :(

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

What budget built turbo cars are running all aluminum blocks from the factory...?

I mean, there are people making over 500whp on these things without opening the motor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Gamma_engine

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It seems like you're obfuscating a bit when the comment was a cast iron block (not normal, old school) vs aluminum block (sleeved or lined however you please) - those things aren't remotely the same.

The EJ series I think is Alusil lined.

Fair enough :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/le2/ <-- all aluminum very communist

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

How do the integrated exhaust manifolds work, is it just one port exiting the engine?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

How do the integrated exhaust manifolds work, is it just one port exiting the engine?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Decided it's time to replace my Corrado with something with a bit more technology and power (and a bit less spending all my weekends under the bonnet), so I'm now the proud owner of an expensive piece of VW-branded paper telling me I'll have a Golf R later this year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What color, and what are the discounts like these days on Rs if any?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What color, and what are the discounts like these days on Rs if any?

Night Blue, 3 door. I was able to talk them down about three grand (GBP) and got the first couple of services thrown in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd be a lot more interested in a Golf R if they came in 3 door here. Me and the other 5 people to buy it would be happy.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd be a lot more interested in a Golf R if they came in 3 door here. Me and the other 5 people to buy it would be happy.

Guess there's not so much of a market for it there? It's a pretty small car for the US in the 5-door size :)

Am I right in thinking there's a bunch of other things you don't/can't get, like LED rear lights, the armrest storage and the sunroof? What leads to those sort of decisions?!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Product planning for VWGoA. Fewer options means less inventory and less complexity in the production and supply chain. If there are things that add significant cost (say LED rear lights) that the end customer is unlikely to care about, they can get removed for cost reasons. The R is $36k US in a pretty competitive car market so every dollar counts.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

JamesOff posted:

Night Blue, 3 door. I was able to talk them down about three grand (GBP) and got the first couple of services thrown in.

6.2k off available at Drive The Deal currently on a base 5 dr/DSG - similar for other variants

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
In case anyone is looking to purchase a Focus RS sometime soon, Ford just released order and pricing guides for the 2017 Focus RS the other day and aside from a base price increase of ~$200 it looks absolutely nothing new is planned for MY17 (so far at least) at least from what I can see.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 16, 2016

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Bovril Delight posted:

Opposite end here, but I'd be much more interested in an R if they brought the Estate over. But America hates wagons :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

esperantinc posted:

Opposite end here, but I'd be much more interested in an R if they brought the Estate over. But America hates wagons :(

Wagon fetishization is how we American car nerds signal to each other.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'll settle for a 2 door wagon.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

I'll settle for a 2 door wagon.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
After stalking a GTI S w/ PP & Lighting on the dealers website for about 3 weeks (was waiting to close on my house) listed at 27k, I went there to find out that supposedly VW puts all inventory on the site, even custom orders that will almost never be available to the public and it'd probably take them another 3 months to get a custom order in. I'm patient but not that patient, and I don't think I would've been able to haggle much on a custom order - please don't correct me on this even if I'm wrong.

I was able to get a pretty decent deal on an carbon steel grey 4 door S w/ lighting (which I didn't know I wanted to have until I saw it) got it down to like 24,300. I am in love with this car, and thank you everyone who pointed out how awesome the stereo is, android auto is the poo poo and was totally worth going for new when these dealers are trying to get 21-22k for a used 2015 anyway.

I'm waiting for them to schedule my tint so I can stop baking on the way to work. The saleswoman suggested 30% for light blocking and privacy. Does anyone have experience with that level? Does it cause any problems at night? Texas requires tint above 25% so I think logically anything over that shouldn't be hazardous but this is all new to me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Mine is 30%. Looks fine at night and good enough to keep most of the heat out. On a black car though it's a losing battle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

After stalking a GTI S w/ PP & Lighting on the dealers website for about 3 weeks (was waiting to close on my house) listed at 27k, I went there to find out that supposedly VW puts all inventory on the site, even custom orders that will almost never be available to the public and it'd probably take them another 3 months to get a custom order in. I'm patient but not that patient, and I don't think I would've been able to haggle much on a custom order - please don't correct me on this even if I'm wrong.

I was able to get a pretty decent deal on an carbon steel grey 4 door S w/ lighting (which I didn't know I wanted to have until I saw it) got it down to like 24,300. I am in love with this car, and thank you everyone who pointed out how awesome the stereo is, android auto is the poo poo and was totally worth going for new when these dealers are trying to get 21-22k for a used 2015 anyway.

I'm waiting for them to schedule my tint so I can stop baking on the way to work. The saleswoman suggested 30% for light blocking and privacy. Does anyone have experience with that level? Does it cause any problems at night? Texas requires tint above 25% so I think logically anything over that shouldn't be hazardous but this is all new to me.

On the fronts you have to have 25% or higher, but most places do it in 5/15/30, so do 30 on the front.

On the back you can do it darker. I prefer 15% on the back. It's dark without being limo tint dark, and it's not a big change from 30%.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I did 35% all around on my Golf. I think you can go as low as 5% behind the driver here in Missouri but I prefer the look when all the windows are the same.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone done any sort of clear windshield tint? Would be nice to cut down on whatever heat possible and the u/v.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone done any sort of clear windshield tint? Would be nice to cut down on whatever heat possible and the u/v.

I passed on it back when I had my side windows done, but I'm seriously considering having it done now because it's so obvious that most of the heat is coming in through the windshield.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mostly I consider tint so it's a little less bright in the car in summer and for privacy. If the car is sitting for any period time it's going to be hot as hell no matter what, and once the temp has cooled off the windshield letting in heat is really a non issue.

Plus, windshields are the most replaced glass so you're liable to have to redo it, and hope it doesn't interfere with any sensors.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The Texas summer heat demands a lot out of my AC even when I'm cruising on the highway. Every little bit would help.

I do worry about getting a big crack or chip right after paying for a coating, so I definitely see your point there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Worth asking insurance about. But personally I rarely replace a windshield. I think in the 24 years I've been driving I've had my windshield replaced a total of 2 times.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you live in an oilfield area it is a problem. I got a bad chip 2 years ago in my ranger but live somewhere that doesn't care. The 2014 Silverado took one two weeks ago but low by whiper and filled myself too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Depends a lot on where you drive, and how much. Also some cars seem to be cursed. My car is not quite 17 months old, I'm on the 4th windshield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

On the fronts you have to have 25% or higher, but most places do it in 5/15/30, so do 30 on the front.

On the back you can do it darker. I prefer 15% on the back. It's dark without being limo tint dark, and it's not a big change from 30%.

To clarify on this, as applies in Texas, your front windows must have 25% light pass through, and since glass doesn't allow 100, more like 93, most places will only apply 35% tint on the fronts, because when tested it is pretty close to 25%.

I just had mine done, went with 35% fronts, 20% rears and hatch. I love it, looks great, doesn't affect night time visibility much.

And congrats, DeathbyMisadventure. However, get a price quote from your dealer and see if it seems like way too much. Mine wanted 2x what I ended up paying. Also, check and see if they do the 2 little triangles at the front of your driver/passenger doors, as some places say they cant access them.