Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Man I really want to be excited for IW, but I played through Ghosts's campaign and I'm wary of being burned again, even with all the new staff they hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

Come on, we all knew that "CRobbers got no time/other business duties/needs holiday/insert BS reason here" so they quit E3 always was a cop out.
They just have nothing to show from SQ42 so they try to rescue whatever they claim they had to Gamescom. It is all about winning time to cover their incompetence.

They already stated that they won't be doing / showing anything at gamescom either, just going to hang out.

They are saving whatever re-hashed assets and pre-rendered footage they have for Citizencon because after $115,000,000 and 4 years they are obligated to put their own convention on, and people have high expectations. So they can't dribble out of their asses two year old hilariously outdated pre-rendered trailers 2-3 conventions in a row, they probably barely have enough items to form the strictest definition of a convention showing, including all the old stuff.

So Citizencon is going to be it because you can't repeatedly reuse cheap bullshit without people starting to realize how obviously cheap it is.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sperglord posted:

For CIG, I think that a lot of the extravagance is to give backers a sense of security, because CIG behaves how backers believe a wildly successful company should behave.
It is to impress the backers, though? I was getting the impression that the move to LA was at least 95% Chris and his wife wanting to move back there, and the extravagance of the office was to make it clear that they were coming back as rich and successful people....because what's the point of a triumphant return to Hollywood if you're just going to undercut it by having ordinary office furnishings and a carefully-watched expense account? If you wanted to just waste all that money on game development instead of a fancy office, you'd have stayed in a far less expensive town, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gently caress yeah, Reboot!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Exposure posted:

Man I really want to be excited for IW, but I played through Ghosts's campaign and I'm wary of being burned again, even with all the new staff they hired.

It looked pretty neat but it seems like the space combat will more be an accent to the FPS elements.

It's also hilarious that the primary method for boarding an enemy ship is apparently to fly next to it in a space fighter and then have the pilot jump out of the cockpit.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Voyager I posted:

It looked pretty neat but it seems like the space combat will more be an accent to the FPS elements.

It's also hilarious that the primary method for boarding an enemy ship is apparently to fly next to it in a space fighter and then have the pilot jump out of the cockpit.

That was essentially how the '90s sci-fi series Space: Above and Beyond worked and it rules.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Knowing COD, that was just because they were TIER 0 SPACE OPERATORS

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Voyager I posted:

Whats funny is that no matter how rudimentary you may consider that boarding method, its worlds beyond what cig has accomplished.

ahahahhahahahahaa CIG is loving poo poo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nicholas posted:

They've specifically stated that its long and wide but NOT tall.

So does that mean that Star Citizen is literally a mile wide but an inch deep?

Pretty loving ironic considering what they think of Elite: Dangerous.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Whats funny is that no matter how rudimentary you may consider that boarding method, its worlds beyond what cig has accomplished.

ahahahhahahahahaa CIG is loving poo poo

":smug: Way to go call of lovely, with your terrible on rails, re-hashed, madden-like.......actually working.......existant........bug free......dependable.....product I'll actually receive for a reasonable price and be able to judge on it's own merits in a reasonable time-frame .......:smith:"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Fat Shat Sings posted:

":smug: Way to go call of lovely, with your terrible on rails, re-hashed, madden-like.......actually working.......existant........bug free......dependable.....product I'll actually receive for a reasonable price and be able to judge on it's own merits in a reasonable time-frame .......:smith:"

I guess the only option now is to send death threats to everyone at IW

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Streetroller posted:

My opinion of CIG is that they probably think they'd make more money as a studio developing a game rather than one who's developed one.
I see where it's going. Any company that pushes "shopping" and character customization this hard so soon is gunning to monetize it.
I imagine they're start selling clothing options and hair styles next, for a small fee of $1-5 dollars a piece. That's my "prediction"

It really has and had nothing to do with Goons, or Derek.
I'm just not being an idiot anymore.

I do hope you'll reconsider your opinions of Goons and Derek in all this. This may seem hard to believe but if you'd given us a chance a while ago, we really would have tried to help you earlier. You'd have seen that Goons and Derek were talking about in game clothing eventually being for sale for actual cash (along with a great deal more) over 2000 pages ago. We helped make the backer community aware of just how outrageous the Star Marine chronology of lies was. We were the ones who chased the plagiarism antics of Ryan Archer. We've unpacked literally dozens of big whoppers told by Ben, Chris or Sandi in official CIG videos. I could go on and on-- that's been a big part of what Derek and Goons have been all about.

I'm not try to rub salt in or anything - glad you did finally come to see Star Citizen for what it truly was. I guess I'm hoping you'll see us for what we really have been, too. Whatever our collective and individual faults, we really have tried to help backers out when they've joined here and sought it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ahahaha, I didn't actually compare them side-by-side since it just seemed similar to me but that's uncanny. Lol.

MoMA, do you work for Eternal Crusade too?

WebDog posted:

Item 1 is SC and Item 2 is EC

Highlighted words are indicative of words not found in both texts.

This is one of those chicken-and-egg conundrums

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 15, 2016

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So does that mean that Star Citizen is literally a mile wide but an inch deep?

Pretty loving ironic considering what they think of Elite: Dangerous.

No one knows how deep it actually is, upon coming into contact with the surface your commando T-poses then violently flys off into the distance before exploding.

Shitizens however have assured us it is quite deep and we just need faith.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Voyager I posted:

The space gameplay definitely seemed like they were cribbing from Assault Horizon's playbook, the dogfights really felt like AH's Close Range Assaults once the player locked on to a target.

I mean that's still a major addition considering what the previous CoDs have been like, but barring outright proof otherwise, I feel like the devs are fibbing a little bit when they say the space portions are free flight, at least when it's with the implication that there's no on-rails component at all.

Also I can't really blame Streetroller for not giving these 4000+ pages a chance at first because, well, 4000+ pages. (there should be like, a wiki dedicated to the dumb stuff CIG has done that easily summarizes this stuff. Or an updated OP.)

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The AMD thing is what dreams are made of. It's so agressively stupid and shows such poor judgement along with a massively inappropriate sense of ego that it's gotta be true.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Like, CIG is the company you would get if this was a choose your own adventure book and the reader was actively making the worst possible choice every time in an effort to see the bad ending.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Exposure posted:

Also I can't really blame Streetroller for not giving these 4000+ pages a chance at first because, well, 4000+ pages. (there should be like, a wiki dedicated to the dumb stuff CIG has done that easily summarizes this stuff. Or an updated OP.)
well yeah there's that...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Blatantly stealing this from FDev forums:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/333172/new-cod-infinite-warfare-trailer/p1

Infinity Ward — the guys responsible for what are arguably some of the most successful FPSes ever — are apparently no-talent hacks who are ripping off CIG's innovations. :roflolmao:

"Scale means nothing if the core mechanics don't work." -Confucius

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

I do hope you'll reconsider your opinions of Goons and Derek in all this. This may seem hard to believe but if you'd given us a chance a while ago, we really would have tried to help you earlier. You'd have seen that Goons and Derek were talking about in game clothing eventually being for sale for actual cash (along with a great deal more) over 2000 pages ago. We helped make the backer community aware of just how outrageous the Star Marine chronology of lies was. We were the ones who chased the plagiarism antics of Ryan Archer. We've unpacked literally dozens of big whoppers told by Ben, Chris or Sandi in official CIG videos. I could go on and on-- that's been a big part of what Derek and Goons have been all about.

I'm not try to rub salt in or anything - glad you did finally come to see Star Citizen for what it truly was. I guess I'm hoping you'll see us for what we really have been, too. Whatever our collective and individual faults, we really have tried to help backers out when they've joined here and sought it.

We also post cat pictures, but we call them catte pictures, that's important.

And recipes!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The scaling down of every object to somehow make the maps larger would definitely explain the wonky physics but surely if it were scaled 250x the movement wouldn't be smooth at all, would it? For as janky as SC is at least an object moving in the world space is generally fluid (as stupid as it is that that's a notable thing). What would the precision even be if objects were scaled down 250x? Decimeter-precise?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I spy something beginning with Un...

Quebec sounds like a shithole.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
So, have the redditors or shitizens had anything to say about Sandy going to E3? I'm curious how they wrap their brains around that lie.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

So what evidence do you want? An independent firm to come in and verify? "Yep - that's what they're doing."

I mean, we only have the word of each game company currently. If Bethesda says something, if IW says something, etc ... we're just going on their words. The only difference is that those are established companies with several titles under their belt and CIG is new to the scene.

So what you're saying is either:

1. All game companies are just as open as Star Citizen in regards to roadmap/development and not about concept art and webshows.

2. Star Citizen charges hundreds of dollars for its content (which many have paid for) and has a TOS that claims they would remain financially accountable to their backers, yet they change their rules and TOS and gently caress over their customers (LOL 2chairs) and that doesn't raise any alarms.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 15, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Exinos posted:

Like, CIG is the company you would get if this was a choose your own adventure book and the reader was actively making the worst possible choice every time in an effort to see the bad ending.

I think I read that book

quote:

Your backers morale is waning and your funding is stagnating. Your costs are continuing.

Turn to page 53 to take your product to the largest gaming convention that the entire world watches to build momentum and show off the work that 4 years and $115,000,000 has bought
Turn to page 72 to tell your business partners that you are better than them and to leave you the gently caress alone about the gaming convention
*eagerly flips to page 72*

quote:

Your production budget is overflowing. Much higher than expected. So much so your wildest dreams can now come true.

Turn to page 112 to use 1/20th of the money you received to deliver the promised product, while planning to expand on it greatly
Turn to page 205 to burn half the money making a sequel to a universally reviled Wing Commander movie
205, of course.

quote:

Your product is having some negative community feedback and technical issues

Turn to page 45 to re-double the efforts on quality control and form a team to handle the concerns of the people who have funded your game
Turn to page 99 to flounder around like a confused retard on a product you've apparently given zero consideration or time to and insult the work of your programmers, blaming them for the problems
Is it even a choice at this point? I'm already on 99.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015
<snippity>

sanctimoniousqfd fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 15, 2016

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

G0RF posted:

Don't worry about salt man, no one could possibly make me more upset than I already am over SC.
If you understood my poo poo, my life, I'm a fighter -- $3k is nothing to me in the face of broken principles, which is why I'm here to begin with.

Probably a little too altruistic for yall, to be honest lol.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bmac32 posted:

So, have the redditors or shitizens had anything to say about Sandy going to E3? I'm curious how they wrap their brains around that lie.

They are actually kinda right, Sandi is completely unnecessary for the development of SC.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
If it actually exists someone needs to get a copy of that PDF. It shouldn't be impossible if it was sent to the entirety of AMD, or enough of it that a low level guy knows the details of it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'd like to remind everyone that this gif exists.

You may need it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deedrix posted:

Fun fact: CIG's offices are 21 minutes from E3

:sandance:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bmac32 posted:

dude considering the mental gymnastics going on for worse conduct, this would barely constitute as flexing

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

That was essentially how the '90s sci-fi series Space: Above and Beyond worked and it rules.
lol call of duty is doing 90's sci-fi nostalgia better than crobbers

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Don't worry about salt man, no one could possibly make me more upset than I already am over SC.
If you understood my poo poo, my life, I'm a fighter -- $3k is nothing to me in the face of broken principles, which is why I'm here to begin with.

Probably a little too altruistic for yall, to be honest lol.

Well, that may be true. I'm known for my viciousness and vindictiveness, and amongst such cruel and diabolical company, including even those wretched monsters :pgabz: and :eonwe:, that is saying something.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Exposure posted:

The space gameplay definitely seemed like they were cribbing from Assault Horizon's playbook, the dogfights really felt like AH's Close Range Assaults once the player locked on to a target.

I mean that's still a major addition considering what the previous CoDs have been like, but barring outright proof otherwise, I feel like the devs are fibbing a little bit when they say the space portions are free flight, at least when it's with the implication that there's no on-rails component at all.

I tried Assault Horizon when it had a free weekend on Steam and even though I didn't buy it, that close range assault or whatever it was called was a really neat way to give dramatic tension to a dogfight in an incredibly accessible way. It's hardly freeform, but it provided an intense, cinematic and fun experience that can sorely be lacking in other air combat games at times. I wouldn't fault any game for copying it that isn't a hardcore PC sim, as it worked really well with a gamepad and those are super common, unlike HOTAS setups.

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

trucutru posted:

Ahahaha, I didn't actually compare them side-by-side since it just seemed similar to me but that's uncanny. Lol.

MoMA, do you work for Eternal Crusade too?

This is one of those chicken-and-egg conundrums

It's genric, sorry guys.

reroll
crowfall
shroud of the avatar
All have similar ToS's

https://www.google.com/search?q=agr...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Deedrix fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bmac32 posted:

Hi there,

You guys don't know me much, but I think I have lied a lot less to you than Chris Roberts and so I am here with a special offer.

For only all the money you have in your wallets, I promise™ to make for you the Best drat GAME Ever. It will have everything you've ever wanted in a game. Space sections and Fantasy sections. Hell I'm even going to throw in for absolutely free* something I like to call the Second Person shooter. We're still working on that, but trust me, it will be better than anything you've ever seen like it.

Remember, I have never lied to you, so you can trust me, right?

I'd like a deluxe version, please!

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

Deedrix posted:

It's genric, sorry guys.

reroll
crowfall
shroud of the avatar
All have similar ToS's

https://www.google.com/search?q=agr...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hmm guys google those games and look where they are currently and their expected delivery dates.

Deedrix fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

trucutru posted:

They are actually kinda right, Sandi is completely unnecessary for the development of SC.

head of marketing.... big marketing event.... isn't dev so can't present... but head of marketing.... marketing event.... at e3..... but too busy to not go do marketing but not so busy you can send head of marketing to marketing event but can't market :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

i dont know how this industry works, it takes weeks tio preapre to pklay througih a wipda verticleklj slciej kdlfjadlfksdljfkkalsdjfasd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Acquilae posted:

lol call of duty is doing 90's sci-fi nostalgia better than crobbers

I saw an enthusiastic Redditor yesterday who said "I honestly thought I was watching a secret reveal of a brand-new Wing Commander reboot -- I couldn't believe it was a Call of Duty game but I'm excited!"

A new Wing Commander reboot-- brought to us by AAA Gaming.

If only Chris had thought of that first! If only he'd been given the time and money to realize such a bold idea!

Oh wait...

• Locked thread