Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TWIST FIST posted:

I like it too because Knuckle is the best. Also seeing the three pro hunters methodically pick off Chimera Ants one by one was cool as heck.

The part between the training arc and the actual palace assault was pretty slow imo, but the fights were cool.

That part had Killua making the coolest friend though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I bought all the back issues on Viz and it made the post chairman stuff so much easier to read and understand. I finally started reading the new stuff and decided to read a chapter on my lunch break and :kingsley: I was not expecting Chrollo and Hisoka alread. Honestly I am still expecting it to be a dream even after the first chapter of it.

e: This tensions is crushing Chrollo explained his abilities then disappeared into the audience. Honestly have no idea who I expect to win. Most likely Chrollo I guess.

e2: Actually shaking here with anticipation

e3: Hahah yesssss

Bad Seafood posted:

Togashi's art is pretty rough-hewn at times, it's true, but the dude's got a pretty good eye for composition and panel flow. I can't recall a time I was ever confused by what was happening on the page, as is sometimes the case with other artists.

I also like that thing he does where the art's very sparse and simplistic most of the time, but then he'll zoom in on a character's face and suddenly they're rendered in detailed HD.

Yeah that's what I've always thought. He's not the best technical artist but he's a very clear one and has some really nice spreads for example there're some great ones in that fight. His opposite might be someone like Oh Great! who has gorgeous art imo but sometimes it's so stylised it can be hard to follow. Granted I am reading Air Gear in physical omnibuses and some of the stuff in the centre can be hard to read in spreads as it is.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Eej posted:

I'd say only the first trip to the NGL is weak. I like the subsequent training arc because it reminds you that despite all the progress from Greed Island, Gon and Killua are still easily outclassed.
I consider that part of the second half, or I guess maybe it would be better to divide it into thirds.

The turning point is when Neferpitou shows up, IMO. After that everything improves immensely, though there are still a few spotty bits.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm at like chapter 280 or so and the best bit was definitely the training with Knuckle. The rest is sorta unspectacular as a whole, though not bad.

I don't care about spoilers or whatever and Seafood mentioned said something about the spiders showing up again out of the blue, not really as a negative, but everything revolving around them and who they're involved with (basically Hisoka is probably showing up) are a lot better and more interesting than the Chimera Ants.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm at like chapter 280 or so and the best bit was definitely the training with Knuckle. The rest is sorta unspectacular as a whole, though not bad.

That's kind of the point where I'd say the Chimera Ant arc starts picking up. I watched the anime instead of reading the manga, and even there it was quite sluggish up to that point. The arc does finish incredibly strong, and I think it makes up for the first "half" in spades.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chapter 280 is in the middle of the palace invasion if he doesn't love it by now then he doesn't love it. There is some incredible stuff to come but the arc isn't nearly as tight or perfect as Yorknew. The Chimera Ant Arc may contain the series highlights (I'll have to think about this) but it has loads of the low points too.

e: For the guy who mentioned the Spiders potentially helping Chrollo in the fight it's impossible for some of them as they can't use their abilities while Chrollo has them. Maybe he didn't have Machi's though or possibly he returned her's but not the others' after the fight.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 15, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like the Spiders and don't mind them showing up in principal, it's just that it makes the world feel smaller to me, if that makes sense. I feel like there should be several such criminal organizations running around, but it's always the Spiders. To his credit, Togashi doesn't overly rely on them - they never steal the limelight from the acting arc villain(s) - it's just a little thing that bugs me. They're always tied up in the protagonists' affairs, either off-screen or about to collide. I appreciate that narrative convenience and a theatrical mindset are the name of the game here, as is the case for most shounen serials, but it still irks me for some reason.

That said, their inclusion in the Chimera Ant arc bothers me less because of this, more because I didn't care for how Togashi handled a few of their powers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
way i figure it, their inclusion in the chimera ant arc was because otherwise there would be no opportunity for their abilities to be revealed until it was time for them to die.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That makes perfect sense, imo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

way i figure it, their inclusion in the chimera ant arc was because otherwise there would be no opportunity for their abilities to be revealed until it was time for them to die.

Should have included mayor bomb guy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I didn't like the Spiders showing up in the Chimera Ant arc because they took up screentime that could have been spent on Morel taking down some chumpo with minimum effort and maximum style.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That makes perfect sense, imo.
Me or Frolicking?

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, that part I get, it's just that I found a few of the reveals to be disappointing.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I didn't like the Spiders showing up in the Chimera Ant arc because they took up screentime that could have been spent on Morel taking down some chumpo with minimum effort and maximum style.
Also this because Morel owns.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think the Spiders' Gaiden would've been less jarring if it weren't the only one of its kind, or if Chimera Ant weren't such an absurdly long arc. I didn't mind checking in on them to see what they were up to, because they're important characters and I like them, but I also would've been interested to see a few other characters running across Ants out in the world like they did. Have Leorio studying in his room or something and looking up and seeing Leol on the news or some no-name Ant trying to kill or steal from the Nostrade family and Kurapika stomping him in 2 seconds. Even an Illumi appearance would've been fine for something like that, honestly. Just a short little "oh the Ants are becoming A Thing out in the world now, thankfully all the strongest ones are still in one place" to break up the NGL and Mansion Invasion sections.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Me or Frolicking?
You, the thing you're saying you're not sure if it makes sense. I'm not certain I agree with the point, and would definitely need a re-read even when I'm done to fully judge, but the point makes sense.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The spiders don't really get tangled up with the protagonists, they get tangled up in major world affairs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
While they're part of the greed island arc its a fairly natural progression for them being there as part of the wider story. the only bit thats too convenient is the person they're after being on greed island. phinks/feitan ending up there made fairly good sense that they decided to play a game they stole.

they were then involved in a very short side arc providing info about their powers/the city

the fact that they might be involved in the current arc assuming hisoka doesn't kill them all still fits their MO of stealing anything worth stealing

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
To be fair, Greed Island was probably the single biggest collection of nen users outside of some freak meeting of the Hunter Association, (which only has one Exorcist anyway), so if you're looking for an exorcist there isn't anywhere better to look. I mean, it's conveinient for the plot but so is all fiction, and the only real impact it had on our heroes was that it gave Hisoka an excuse to be there and be loving awesome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

What fictional character died 6 months ago?

None, I only mention the time gap to emphasize what a huge devastating blow the loss of Shalnark is.

edit: As a vaguely related note, aren't Illumi's abilities objectively superior to Shalnark's in every way? They can both control people, but Illumi can control a bunch of people, alive or dead. Maybe Shalnark can optionally exercise more fine control? Maybe it's harder for Illumi to use his abilities on skilled opponents if he has to put the needles in specific parts of their head (compared with Shalnark just needed to jab you anywhere).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 15, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Checking dates it seems like the chapter appeared online on June 9th but only on June 13th on Viz. I thought they were supposed to be same day as Japan or whatever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

None, I only mention the time gap to emphasize what a huge devastating blow the loss of Shalnark is.

edit: As a vaguely related note, aren't Illumi's abilities objectively superior to Shalnark's in every way? They can both control people, but Illumi can control a bunch of people, alive or dead. Maybe Shalnark can optionally exercise more fine control? Maybe it's harder for Illumi to use his abilities on skilled opponents if he has to put the needles in specific parts of their head (compared with Shalnark just needed to jab you anywhere).

Shalnark can turbocharge himself as well, and might have more range than illumi? We don't really get a sense for all the details on their powers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some people are just stronger than others however we don't know what restrictions Illumi has either.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ilumis ability lets him dig into a hole and survive encased in the dirt for a few days.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't remember all the details, but the impression I got is that Illumi's method literally kills the people he's manipulating if he wants to give them direct commands (or rather, he can only directly control corpses), and otherwise it's just a strong subconscious suggestion like what he did with Killua. I doubt that kind of suggestion could make people do things that they're otherwise strongly opposed to. Actually, this was before nen was explained at all, but didn't they even say that Killua could only be manipulated by Illumi into killing someone because killing comes so naturally to him?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 15, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Checking dates it seems like the chapter appeared online on June 9th but only on June 13th on Viz. I thought they were supposed to be same day as Japan or whatever.

they get leaked onto the internet a week early

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shalnark's nen seems like the most incredibly basic kind of manipulator hatsu, to the extent that some scrub ant came up with the exact same thing. It is still very powerful of course, but I'm guessing there are a bunch of people running around with similar abilities.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He says himself during the Yorknew Arc that he, Franklin(?), and some others are really easy to replace whereas people like Pakunoda and Shizuko are not.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was nobunaga supposed to be enhancement?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He is listed as an Enhancer but he is the only Troupe member we've met that has not displayed their ability. Keep in mind Enhancers can also just make objects more powerful as opposed to just being heavy hitters à la Uvogin and Phinks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I always figured Illumi's drawback is it only works on sufficiently weak people. Someone strong would be able to resist it, which is why he was only able to influence Killua.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think regular en has a nen type, not even the expanded version Nobunaga does. So, he splits his focus between en and enhancing his iaido, and then probably splits it further for enhancing both himself and his sword. I'm sure he can do other things, but standing in place and hitting anything that comes near seems to be his specialty.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Illumi's power seems to be building off a skill he possesses independent of his Nen, which is probably a Nen-enhancing condition. Shalnark's Hatsu doesn't seem to build off of anything specific to him, on the other hand.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

He is listed as an Enhancer but he is the only Troupe member we've met that has not displayed their ability. Keep in mind Enhancers can also just make objects more powerful as opposed to just being heavy hitters à la Uvogin and Phinks.

I think En is supposed to count as his special ability. Pretty lame when other people have En with a wider range and a unique ability in addition, though.

EmmyOk posted:

The spiders don't really get tangled up with the protagonists, they get tangled up in major world affairs.

I was about to say this. A lot of Nen users decided to go play Greed Island after the copies became available, a lot of Nen users went to fight the Chimera Ants, and now a lot of Nen users are going to the Dark Continent. A lot of Nen users participated in the election too, but the Phantom Troupe sat that one out.

Remember that there were only 661 Hunters as of the start of the election. The total number of humans who can use the fundamentals of Nen is higher than that, but probably still only in the thousands. It's not surprising that the same people tend to get involved in multiple major Nen-related events.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's not his Hatsu though that would be super lame if it turned out to be that all along. I assume he is just going to be insanely fast so it'll be cool to see an enhancer who maximises a physical attribute other than strength.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

It's been stated that most enhancers don't really need a Hatsu so maybe he's just really good with a sword

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Have we met an enhancer without one yet though? Granted they all just do variations of a theme but they are clearly defined Hatsu. Quitting smoking has lead to so much ADTRW posting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

especially when they hold particular attachment to said item

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

He says himself during the Yorknew Arc that he, Franklin(?), and some others are really easy to replace whereas people like Pakunoda and Shizuko are not.

Kortopi was another one he specifically mentioned; losing him here is a huge blow to their thievery efforts, among other things like Chrollo's trickery. Yorknew had them make heavy use of his powers, with both the fake auction items (which served as both a method of stealing stuff and let them track down Squala) and him duplicating their entire hideout fifty times. Also he could conjure just about anything, whereas most Conjurers need familiarity with and frequently attachment to what they create, so that was pretty special too. Combat-wise he wasn't much outside of how Chrollo used his power as far as we know (edit: Though he was willing to stand against Feitan and Phinks that one time, and while they took it as a given that he and the others with him would lose, he presumably has some combat capability), but he was still ludicrously powerful and useful to them.

Shalnark, meanwhile, yeah, in terms of ability he's nowhere near as bad a loss. Mentally and in terms of his temperament and stuff, he was extremely capable and such, so he was still very useful, but he was a pretty standard Manipulator when it comes to Nen.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 15, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

especially when they hold particular attachment to said item

God it'd be amazing if Hisoka tracks down Nobunaga and is prepping to keep out of range of his sword and Nobunaga just pulls out a nen pistol and gut shots him. Deception is the sharpest blade, Hisoka :smuggo:

Roland Jones posted:

Kortopi was another one he specifically mentioned; losing him here is a huge blow to their thievery efforts, among other things like Chrollo's trickery. Yorknew had them make heavy use of his powers, with both the fake auction items (which served as both a method of stealing stuff and let them track down Squala) and him duplicating their entire hideout fifty times. Combat-wise he wasn't much outside of how Chrollo used his power as far as we know, but he was still ludicrously powerful and useful to them.

Shalnark, meanwhile, yeah, in terms of ability he's nowhere near as bad a loss. Mentally and in terms of his temperament and stuff, he was extremely capable and such, so he was still very useful, but he was a pretty standard Manipulator when it comes to Nen.

I am actually bummed Kortopi got killed because s/he was so adorable. At least with Shalnark the evil Shonunen honey role has been taken by pariston.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shalnark was probably more useful to them as a front man and information broker than anything else, though I like bad guys whose power is manipulating people as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

God it'd be amazing if Hisoka tracks down Nobunaga and is prepping to keep out of range of his sword and Nobunaga just pulls out a nen pistol and gut shots him. Deception is the sharpest blade, Hisoka :smuggo:

this would be some huge fail because nobunaga thinks the power of gum and rubber is easy to deal with