Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

The no mobile messenger thing hasn't rolled out everywhere yet, you'll get it eventually

The messenger app is actually pretty good

Oh , I got it. It's why I started using metal and not chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just switched from iPhone to android & wow. This is cool, but different. Please indulge me with these stupid questions, I have googled and investigated on my own but I value your goons' opinion.

Is there an app that allows you to undo typing?
Best epub reader?
Is there a decent YouTube substitute which will allow you to listen to the video in the background?
Best Reddit app?
Best Twitter app?
Is there any plans for either Awful app to support embedded tweets?
Best app for monitoring which app uses how much battery?

Cheers!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best epub reader?
Is there a decent YouTube substitute which will allow you to listen to the video in the background?

Google Play Books
YouTube Red
The default battery screen

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is there any plans for either Awful app to support embedded tweets?

awful does, just off by default

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Just switched from iPhone to android & wow. This is cool, but different. Please indulge me with these stupid questions, I have googled and investigated on my own but I value your goons' opinion.

Is there an app that allows you to undo typing?
Best Reddit app?
Best Twitter app?

Cheers!

Any keyboard... ?
No. You can do this with the youtube subscription, Youtube Red. It's worth it, no youtube ads, ever, on any platform, and it comes with Google Music (essentially identical to Spotify, if you're not familiar)
Sync
Flamingo/Fenix
Don't need one. Check the Android battery screen

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blue Train posted:

awful does, just off by default

Thanks for this tip lol

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Firefox will continue playing a YouTube video in the background.

If you want something standalone, I looked through off-playstore apps and found one called NewPipe which will play a video's audio in the background as well as just downloading it straight-up. Irritatingly, it won't continue playing a video in the background, which makes it less useful for things like lectures that might have incidental visuals but which don't actually need to be watched the whole time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just get loving youtube red you cheapass people.

It's great.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Pay me and I will

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Make it work in Canada. :smith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to ask for a recommendation on a Chess application. Just something I can use to play against the AI that's maybe ad-free or cheap to unlock.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for your advice so far, ROMs & emulators on the Samsung S7, do I need to / should I root my phone to use 'em? Which are the best emulators? Cheers.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to ask for a recommendation on a Chess application. Just something I can use to play against the AI that's maybe ad-free or cheap to unlock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jwtc.android.chess

This was decent when i last used it. Not super pretty, but it's free and has good network play.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I always keep this installed on my phones:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.chess

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Thermopyle posted:

It's great.

Incidentally, it's 3 months for $0.99 right now, and you can pay with Rewards balance :getin:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'd get Youtube Red but it seems that I live an undeveloped country (the UK).

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Does anybody use the CVS pharmacy app? My partner had it installed and then yesterday it did suddenly downloaded 7.06GB of data and completely filled the remaining storage on the phone, which made pretty much everything abruptly stop working. I open-palm slapped the uninstall button without a moment's delay, but what the gently caress??

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Thermopyle posted:

It's great.

Seconding this. Just got the free trial and it's loving worth it just to turn my screen off so I can listen to stuff at work.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a way in the YouTube app, or an alternative YouTube app, to sort a channel's videos by most popular like you can on the website?

Often I'll go to a new channel and try to see the popular videos but it looks like you can't control the sort at all.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
My sister is being harassed and stalked by an ex boyfriend and wants to back up save her text messages as a record of his behavior, but can't figure out how to do it. I googled for this and found a bunch of shady apps that don't seem trustworthy. Can anyone recommend some solution to this? The phone is a galaxy s4, if that changes anything.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The standard Samsung PC software (kies I think?) should have an option to back up messages and other data.

That's a real lovely situation and I hope your sister's able to get action taken soon :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Safe and Secure! posted:

My sister is being harassed and stalked by an ex boyfriend and wants to back up save her text messages as a record of his behavior, but can't figure out how to do it. I googled for this and found a bunch of shady apps that don't seem trustworthy. Can anyone recommend some solution to this? The phone is a galaxy s4, if that changes anything.

SMS Backup and restore by Carbonite can backup all your text messages to an XML file. I use it when I switch phones, works great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

SMS Backup and restore by Carbonite can backup all your text messages to an XML file. I use it when I switch phones, works great.

I used to use this and it was nice, though restoring took a long time with no progress bar, so I thought it was broken for a while.

If you want them to be a little easier to read (and are okay with them being on Google's servers) SMS Backup + from the OP saves them to your Gmail.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Safe and Secure! posted:

SMS Backup+ will automatically backup conversations to Gmail under its own label in a searchable conversation view.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

LastInLine posted:

SMS Backup+ will automatically backup conversations to Gmail under its own label in a searchable conversation view.

I recommend this. However, in the stalking case, also take screenshots of particularly egregious messages. (do both for now).

Also, contact your local Police, explain and ask them for advice, including advice on what they would need to see.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any way to use imessager on galaxy s7?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Apple imessager? No. There was supposedly some rumor that Apple was considering expanding imessager to Android, but that seems... unlikely at best.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any way to use imessager on galaxy s7?

Do you have a Mac and are okay with installing dodgy software?

http://www.cultofmac.com/426360/imessage-comes-to-android-thanks-to-neat-mac-hack/

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Just got a new Galaxy S7 to deliver me from the constant woes of my old terrible-in-almost-every-way-imaginable-phone, but t9 typing is forever burned into my muscle memory and the default Samsung keyboard is annoying.
Is there any good keyboard app out there that supports t9/phonepad typing?

The old Xperia Arc S keyboard is what I'm used too, if that helps.

---

Update: never mind I guess! I found one that is perfect for my needs. It even does seamless dual-language. It seems so good it's probably cursed or something, but if anyone ever has the same issue I did count this as a cautious TouchPal recommendation.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 15, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uthor posted:

Do you have a Mac and are okay with installing dodgy software?

http://www.cultofmac.com/426360/imessage-comes-to-android-thanks-to-neat-mac-hack/

Nah but thanks anyway

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Google Allo looks really cool but it's yet another messenger app that doesn't have SMS support so I'm just sad about it now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I got one of those wireless charger plates & used it last night. I set the phone down to charge as I slept, it was at around 10%, I connected it properly, dozed off. This morning (7 hours laters), I excitedly woke to find my battery was at 50%, and quickly dropping. I'm at a loss as to what's happened. Is there a chance I knocked it off my stand? I guess so but it's unlikely. Does the Samsung start losing charge when it reaches 100%? Is there a setting I can change to stop this? Any ideas? Cheers.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My nexus 6 will forget my car's Bluetooth connection if I turn the car off while my phone is in Android auto mode. If I unplug the phone from the USB before I turn off the car, it will remember the Bluetooth. Has anyone experienced this before and has a solution or more insight on why this happens?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Agoat posted:

Google Allo looks really cool but it's yet another messenger app that doesn't have SMS support so I'm just sad about it now.

When will the world finally release their death grip on texting as a primary form of communication

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Luceo posted:

Incidentally, it's 3 months for $0.99 right now, and you can pay with Rewards balance :getin:

Do you have a card or PayPal associated with YouTube red? The Google reward balance option is grayed out for me and I can't select it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Ra-amun posted:

Do you have a card or PayPal associated with YouTube red? The Google reward balance option is grayed out for me and I can't select it.

Probably the one on my play store account, but I don't know if that's tied in or not.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made another Android game called Kitty Cart. It plays kinda like the minecart minigame in super mario rpg or stardew valley. You ride along, collect coins, and hop over gaps.

It's free! Please give it a try if you're interested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreliablegames.kittycart&hl=en

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/16/new-skiftkey-beta/

They just added a clipboard manager to SwiftKey Beta and I already think it's a great feature. Being able to pin something that you say a lot then copy it to your clipboard quickly is really nifty. Plus, it'll be even better when paired with PushBullet's universal copy/paste (which I initially thought would be useless, but I find myself using constantly).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/16/new-skiftkey-beta/

They just added a clipboard manager to SwiftKey Beta and I already think it's a great feature. Being able to pin something that you say a lot then copy it to your clipboard quickly is really nifty. Plus, it'll be even better when paired with PushBullet's universal copy/paste (which I initially thought would be useless, but I find myself using constantly).

Oh nice, looks like I'll give Swiftkey a shot to win me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Speaking of Swiftkey, is there any way to get the Voice button as a primary button instead of a secondary button?