Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ZZZorcerer posted:

Odin just chilling sitting on his chair listening to cows being butchered, man with hat casually watching snuff film in some shady cinema, such delightful hobbies. :stonk:

I thought they were the same person given their interest in gory poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grognan posted:

I thought they were the same person given their interest in gory poo poo.

I have a feeling that the man in the hat is Herr Starr, what with his interest in recovering a "Grail Technologies" blueprint.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Losing Cruise: Emotion Impossible

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The scene where Jesse was exploring how his powers work by making Cass do things was hilarious. And I like that he's starting to realize that the Word is super literal. I'm wondering if the show will change the 'Go gently caress yourself'from the comics. I can't see that flying on TV. And the Angel guys are becoming more interesting.

Is Odin Jackie Earle Haley's role? He looks super different these days.

E: I also loved the TV on in one scene and the report was like 'Nation still mourning Tom Cruise'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Dude has put on weight since Rorshach. His casting gives me a lot of hope for ol' Odin to be one creepy gently caress as is proper.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Javid posted:

Dude has put on weight since Rorshach. His casting gives me a lot of hope for ol' Odin to be one creepy gently caress as is proper.

I think it's because I'm used to him with a more gaunt appearance, yeah. Didn't even recognize him in the second ep. I also have high hopes that for as dull and weird he seems now, Haley will crank it to 11 when the time comes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LadyPictureShow posted:

The scene where Jesse was exploring how his powers work by making Cass do things was hilarious. And I like that he's starting to realize that the Word is super literal.

♪ Me some Johnny Cash! ♪

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope there's an outtake where Derek Wilson just holds the gun between his teeth by the slide like a dog fetching a stick and looks at Cooper like "and now?"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I have a feeling that the man in the hat is Herr Starr, what with his interest in recovering a "Grail Technologies" blueprint.

It looks like they're teasing some of the big characters from the comics in the intros.

From what I recall, admittedly, It's been like 10 years since I've read the comics, the original Quincannon arc was just kind of there, and a digression from the main plot. So it kind of makes sense to move it to a -1 issue episode for the origin story. So having Jesse getting tired of dealing with everybody's hosed up poo poo, especially Quincannon, and having Jesse declaring "gently caress that poo poo, I'm out, y'all are beyond saving," seems like a reasonable excuse for a road trip.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thrakkorzog posted:

It looks like they're teasing some of the big characters from the comics in the intros.

From what I recall, admittedly, It's been like 10 years since I've read the comics, the original Quincannon arc was just kind of there, and a digression from the main plot. So it kind of makes sense to move it to a -1 issue episode for the origin story. So having Jesse getting tired of dealing with everybody's hosed up poo poo, especially Quincannon, and having Jesse declaring "gently caress that poo poo, I'm out, y'all are beyond saving," seems like a reasonable excuse for a road trip.

Yeah the Quincannon arc makes sense to put in this season, as it can reasonably be placed anywhere in the timeline.

The slightly cryptic intros of Stark and the Cowboy must be confusing the poo poo out of people who havent read the comics though.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm wondering if the show will change the 'Go gently caress yourself'from the comics. I can't see that flying on TV. And the Angel guys are becoming more interesting.

I don't see why not, honestly. They could easily get away with it if they just have Jesse go, "And as for you, Roots..." and cut to paramedics discussing Sheriff Root's condition in gruesome details as he's being wheeled into the ambulance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Castor Poe posted:

I don't see why not, honestly. They could easily get away with it if they just have Jesse go, "And as for you, Roots..." and cut to paramedics discussing Sheriff Root's condition in gruesome details as he's being wheeled into the ambulance.

"Go screw yourself" would be TV friendly.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It really is f****d that you can have shocking violence like Cass killing the two angels in ep2 but not say a bad word.

People are weird.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medullah posted:

"Go screw yourself" would be TV friendly.
I dunno how well this would work with the established literalism.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dunno how well this would work with the established literalism.

We're talking comic spoilers here so he quite literally DOES gently caress himself.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

We're talking comic spoilers here so he quite literally DOES gently caress himself.

"Go screw yourself" is literally different than "go gently caress yourself".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Medullah posted:

Yes but his point is that "go screw yourself" would be taken literally in a different way, like screwdriving a bunch of screws into your arms until you bleed to death.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It really is f****d that you can have shocking violence like Cass killing the two angels in ep2 but not say a bad word.

People are weird.

We as a society have made swearing and sex violent and violence sexy.

This third episode did lose a lot of steam with me. The whole Carlos revenge subplot seems forced and I don't care about the extreme liberties they are taking with Cassidy's weakness to sunlight. He does continue being the best thing about this show.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

NoneMoreNegative posted:

People are weird.

It's a lot easier for advertising contracts to place limits on something easily itemized like swear words or naked body parts rather than something as nebulous as violence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Sheriff in the show isn't really as bad as the Sheriff in the comics.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, he's kind of an rear end, but he actually seems to care about his son quite a bit. Some parts of the role Eugene has in the comics might be taken over by red headed kid later in the show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Castor Poe posted:

It's not like they're unwilling to just keep the line in and clunkily mute the offending word. There's a line at the end of the pilot that's really obviously supposed to be "well, gently caress you too" but it came out as "well, *beat with Jesse's mouth moving slightly* you too".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hollismason posted:

Give it time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly, I'm the comic book purist here, and I hope they *don't* go that direction with the Sheriff. In the books the "go gently caress yourself" was the moment where Jesse found out that his Word was taken literally. We've had that moment in the show already.

This version of Root is definitely not the pure evil racist (against both blacks and Martians) that the book version is, so unless he makes a MAJOR heel turn in the show I don't see that happening.

Could be wrong though, of course.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, he's just a tool and actually speaks to his son on the show. No "martian niggers" poo poo in this one.

Which is a good thing. There's a lot of stuff that can be lost without any serious loss. Officers Bridges and Tool, though I hope they do some version of the Si Coltrane mini-arc; Jesus de Sade; probably the Sexual Investigators...

Hoping we get Arseface, Rented Motorcycle Vigilante and Arseface, Pop Sensation though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just realized the issue of profanity means we aren't getting Johnny Lee Wombat. Now that's a genuine loss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Hoping we get Arseface, Rented Motorcycle Vigilante and Arseface, Pop Sensation though.

Rockstar Arseface has to happen, its the best resolution to his arc. But not for at least a season or two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

UHT'S gonna have to be something other than NUHVUHNUH that puts the period on his arc then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pop sensation's kind of yesterday's news anyway, if you really want to be current he's becoming a youtuber.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

UHT'S gonna have to be something other than NUHVUHNUH that puts the period on his arc then.

When we're first introduced to Eugene he's listening to rap. I was trying to think of any rap stars that shot themselves in the head

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Show is pretty good, but that cool muscle car chick is actually really starting to get on my nerves.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

pigdog posted:

Show is pretty good, but that cool muscle car chick is actually really starting to get on my nerves.

I loved her in Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D., but Tulip needs some serious character development.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I can pretty well understand why they'd want to move the Quincannon arc into the first season; really all it accomplishes for the main story is the whole deal with Jesse's mother, which ultimately doesn't really impact the endgame much.

Plus as satisfying as the whole WHERE THE gently caress IS YOUR CHIN scene is, thinking back on it it has more than a whiff of the kind of wish-fulfillment story some bullied kid would write, holed up in an empty classroom over lunch break. Like, it's ripped from the pages of a STDH thread. "And then all the klansmen hung their heads in shame and went home"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I loved her in Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D., but Tulip needs some serious character development.

Really? I disliked Negga on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. She was just of stuck playing kind of evil, but not really, maybe? She has been much more enjoyable playing Tulip.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

thrakkorzog posted:

Really? I disliked Negga on Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. She was just of stuck playing kind of evil, but not really, maybe? She has been much more enjoyable playing Tulip.

Okay. Maybe I just loved the dresses she got to wear.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Data Graham posted:

Plus as satisfying as the whole WHERE THE gently caress IS YOUR CHIN scene is, thinking back on it it has more than a whiff of the kind of wish-fulfillment story some bullied kid would write, holed up in an empty classroom over lunch break.[/spoiler]

...I hate to break this to you but all of Preacher read like this already. I read the comic over a decade ago but even then it had the airs of being written by someone extremely loving bitter about religion and totally wanting to stick it to The Man.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I tried reading Preacher recently and couldn't get past everyone having the same face, including the women.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wade Wilson posted:

I tried reading Preacher recently and couldn't get past everyone having the same face, including the women.

poo poo, this has bugged me since the outset. I love Dillon's cinematic sense and his layouts, but drat his faces just don't have much individuality, even when they're doing things like this:

It took a lot of effort for me to "hear" Cassidy as anything other than a nondescript American guy putting on a theatrical accent. I gotta give the show this, it really brings that part to life.

BTW, that site has an awful lot of the best bits of the comic for anyone who's never seen it, but of course spoilery:

http://ooccomicpages.tumblr.com/page/12

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah Dillon has an unusual art style. I think it fits Preacher, but pretty much only Preacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had his "How to Be a Superhero" book years before Preacher, and it's always been one of my favorite things.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Super...gr_w_bb_sout-20

• Locked thread