Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Zybourne Clock posted:

Omnissiah, the Machine God Animus, Guardian of the Essences

Turns out it's pretty drat hard to make a recognizable cog mechanicum.

Did you quit being the Omnissiah? I was looking forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other.

So either wispings add to (or subtract from!) initiative, and Swedish ganks me, or we re-roll. But it's still moot now :v:.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Omnissiah, the Machine God Animus, Guardian of the Essences

Turns out it's pretty drat hard to make a recognizable cog mechanicum.

Traitor.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Seeing as Wispings are the only real stat that makes any difference, I'd say whoever has the highest modifier wins the tie. If we are going purely by d&d rules I would argue that since wispings counted for total AC they probably equate to a dexterity modifier. Although in that case they would modify our stating initiative as well, but that would still put me in the lead since we rolled the same.

As far as I can count there there are only four post 91 rolls, so whoever wins should still get in.
That said, this is a sandcastle game not a serious business competition! Whatever outcome is most fun for all involved should be the one that carries forth. So, uh, write us both in? :D

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Waci posted:

Traitor Legion.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well I think it's pretty clear that there's a tie - I'll just take the obvious solution!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Obvious answer: both gods get in, but with only 2 HP. :getin:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Both wisp kiss and merge into a mega god known as Dawn God of That Guy. (5 Hp)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

TheNabster posted:

Thespias, God of the Arts

I tried but paint skills are haaaaard.

EDIT: I painted again to resemble a different art thing.

Oh my god.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

I just got it. Thanks.

Art.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I just got it. Thanks.

Art.

I don't see it...

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

There Bias Two posted:

I don't see it...

Minimalism, Panels; Comedy and Tragedy, all in one.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

There Bias Two posted:

I don't see it...

Would you say that you are... at a Loss?

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Well, you just earned a + vote from me at some point.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theantero posted:

Would you say that you are... at a Loss?

:aaa: I can't believe it. It's magnificent.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I still don't get it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

^ Don't feel at a loss for words , just move past.

I vote for Thespias
But an explanation must be provided for crowds ,who's profound sense of loss may necessitate suggestions on ways to move past every tragedy.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 20, 2016

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Magnusth posted:

I still don't get it.

loss.jpg

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Magnificent.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I was not aware of this meme

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Magnusth posted:

You were blessed. I am sorry for your fall from grace.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Magnusth posted:

me neither. I regret asking LiG what it meant. Guess who's getting my - votes!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

At long last, the thick and hearty atmosphere of Somewhere! Lo, the wreckage of ParaDice littered the atmosphere even now, and the five Gods swooped to avoid collisions. Not that they could be harmed by the stuff of this world, but they would need to be sparing with their interactions even so. Witness them, in their glory!

Animus, Guardian of the Essences
Ash, God of Mending
Enane, God of Boundaries

An anomaly. Two Wisps broke through the barrier with matched speed and intensity. Neither was willing to cede the advantage to the other, but neither was Somewhere able to support their combined energies. They forced their way onwards, compressed together by the walls of reality until…

Rebun-Ased, Bipartite God of Dawn and That Guy Over There

They all took in the world around them, their merest motions lighting the sky with colorful energy. They gazed upon the People of the great land, marvelling at their progress. Notably, many of the barriers of Material of provenance had fallen away, leaving groupings of many sorts of People living together in relative harmony. As was custom, they first made their way to the ancestral city of the Silver People - though in truth it no longer belonged merely to them.

Chromeport looked much the same as ever - with the notable exception of Mirror Lake and the Glass Spires. Legendairy's suicidal attack on the Lake - and the unexpected fearsomeness of his Moosiles - destroyed the fragile structure beyond repair, spilling the sacred waters of the Lake over the edge and down into the city. When the smoke had cleared and the disastrous echo of the fall of ParaDice had faded away, it was decided the best thing that could be done was simply to clear away the wreckage entirely. There was simply no repairing it - many Chromeporters carried a fragment of the Spires with them in rememberance of the disaster.

But in truth, that was long ago, and the average citizen is content - especially on such a joyous day! For the Gods have returned after their long absence, and they are welcomed once again! And such a crowd! Spilling out over the edges of the plaza, it is a riot of colour and fashion and People! Silvurtle, Aqueau, Verre, Fortugnat - and even Laitache! The Heavy Winged are by far the most numerous and affluent looking, but here and there can be seen a Light of either Earthbound or Winged Caste. The tour continues - the Market is bustling as ever, with Quest Icons appearing and disappearing at a frantic pace. Evidently, they have proven to be of great use in fostering a community atmosphere - when you stand to gain tangibly for helping your neighbour for no loss to yourself, why wouldn't you? The trade goods on display are numerous and varied, but clearly present are artifacts from all five Peoples. Chromeport is a truly cosmopolitan city!

The Gods move onto the great repository of History and Knowledge, the Discotheque. Deep within its bowels, Chromeport's homegrown Hero Lustre is hard at work categorizing the knowledge that makes its way here from every corner of the land. As you watch, you see her tenderly shine the Silver disc that commemorates the loss of Sterling, Hero of the Silvurtle (who perished - in his sleep - after a long life among the Lake Aqueau, and who left behind a wailing stone of Silver) and Shi, Hero of the Verre (who perished of age and injury among her friends and family, and who left behind a scattering of fine Glass dice). Quintzite, though he survived, has vanished - what else is new? With a sigh, she continues her work.

Looming over the horizon, the Chromedome Moosile Shelter sits in silence. Despite its proximity to Chromeport, none dare approach it without need. Even so, rumors fly about it; that it’s guarded by the divine golem Toil-In-Silence (which the Gods know to be false); that deep within its bowels lies the sealed tomb of Legendairy and the Tyrant King both; and finally that less... savoury elements of society make their dwelling within its cavernous expanses. None dare to verify them. Since that horrible night of the attack, when the gate fell open and provided them safe harbour, it has been treated with the silent respect of a tomb. It will be there should they ever need it. All pray they never do.

-O-

The Aqueau of Chromeport consider themselves Chromeporters through and through. Though nominally a ‘Silver’ city, they have been there since the very beginning - no doubt many of them consider themselves more strongly tied to their Silvurtle allies than to the Lake Aqueau. Indeed, there is a degree of snobbishness on both sides towards the ‘other’ Aqueau, though for the most-part good-naturedly. They have recently (relatively recently, anyhow) suffered a loss in stature due to the strongly-diminished cheese supply, but they are still relatively well off in the city.

-O-

The Verre of Chromeport have more or less integrated into society, losing many of their nomadic traditions. Their skills in the Glass-Shaping, the Milk Magic Milchemy, and the Glass Magic Cutting have many uses, and they are in high demand. While they often keep to themselves, they are not shy - and their great beauty makes them extremely popular especially among the Silvurtle who value such things. The Pyrexalted still live among them - though fewer and fewer every year. They simply leave, during the night, saying they’re going to ‘take a nap’ and then vanish. Those who search for them turn up empty handed.

-O-

The Fortugnat of Chromeport are still a relatively rare sight, but they are greeted with effusive joy whenever they make their way to Market. For all know of the terrible plight of generations of their ancestors, and it is good to see them rising in the world! For rising they are, and many strange and marvelous creations are flooding in from their southern island - treating them kindly is good business, if nothing else. The Fortugnat take the kindness in stride, though they suspect at ulterior motives. Ultimately, what’s the harm in simply allowing it?

-O-

The Laitache of Chromeport are a strange case. Universally, the sight of a Light Caste is greeted with suspicion and disdain - refugees or descendants of refugees from their fallen island, they were followers of Legendairy, and they cannot be trusted. Still, their skill in Moocoup and their intelligence makes them useful, so they are grudgingly accepted. On the other hand, the Heavy Winged rejected their insane master, rising against him before being thrown from their island. Over the generations, their strength and good cheer has made them extremely popular, and many have done very well for themselves indeed. Heavies and Lights seldom speak in public.

-O-
Deep in the depths of the Chromedome lies a strange Miracle. It thrums with fearsome power, but none wish to test its might. Something tells them they would not survive its use.

(Chromeport is a bustling city, with the highest population density by far on Somewhere. It boasts a Population of 40 Silvurtle, 35 Aqueau, 25 Verre, 15 Fortugnat, and 10 Laitache (6 Heavy, 4 Light) for a total of 125. The city is likely reaching its capacity - somewhere between 150-175 - though not this Age.

Chromeport is the custodian of the Artifact, Toils-In-Silence. It can be used once this Age, then it will vanish until next Age. It is indestructible. It can only be used by a God.

Chromeport is the custodian of the Artifact, What-Goes-Up. It can be used once this Age, then it will vanish until next Age. It is indestructible. It can only be used by a God or a Hero.

Morale in the city is for the most part optimistic and peaceful.)

The Verre Nomads range all across Somewhere, but the one place they would consider ‘home’ is Glasshenge, on the very eastern edge of the continent. There - deep in the forest of Glass - can they truly find connection with nature. The open air, the forest around them, the smell of the ocean on the wind - and beneath it, the smell of the Ocean. The alien strangeness of the Molasses swamp is as jarring as ever, but it, too, it nature, after all. Many Verre test their courage by wading into its centre, between the standing stones of Glass, and staying there as long as they can bear it. The sluggish magic of the Molasses tugging at them, not many can stand it for long before they pass out.

Not so with the Kittines - or rather, the Syrupikes. The companion beasts of the Nomads have grown long and lanky, their flesh a golden jade, all due to their consumption of the strange element. In the eyes of the Verre, the Syrupikes are the strongest exemplar of nature’s fearsome beauty, and they often adorn themselves to match - or even, in strange cases, apply their Glass-Shaping skill to their own bodies.

In stark contrast to the playful Verre of the city, they are dour and aloof, showing their enjoyment of the world only sparingly, and even then only while in their own tribes, far from civilization. They are not cruel or violent or rude - they are merely quiet. Intense and quiet. They form the backbone of trade between the cities, their caravans travelling well-worn routes between them. These in-between lands are still dangerous, whether from wild creatures or bandits, but they do not travel alone.

The Heavy Winged Laitache have found a strange home among the Verre since their exile from ParaDice. Preferring quiet themselves, they quickly made themselves invaluable with their strength and kindness. Generations later, neither People can imagine living without the other - and they have grown very much alike in temperment and culture.

-O-
In their travels, the Nomads came upon a strange Idol, clearly a Remnant of their Goddess. They carry it with them often, never letting it settle in one place for too long for fear of its power.

(The Nomads, scattered around the world, have a Population of 30 Verre and 25 Heavy Winged Laitache. Most groups are no larger than 3-5 at any given time, but up to a dozen congregate at Glasshenge for rituals or meetings.

Their morale varies with the seasons and inter-tribal squabbling, but broadly it is good.)

Keno and Roulette passed quietly, at the same time - but before that, they told their tale. Bondage under the Tyrant, the slaying of a God, hiding from Emperor Legendairy (and of those lost to his clutches), of the breaking of their fiendish home in the sky. Their People listened - but privately dismissed their words as the fears of the past. How could the young Fortugnat of today comprehend the muck and pain of slavery when faced with the glittering advances of today?

The Great Cave was great indeed. Powered by the Waterwheel of Fortune, the interior was a riot of motion, much of it cleverly automated. Long use of machinery and mechanisms, bolstered by their risk-taking nature, led to significant (and occasionally destructive) innovation. Many of the most esoteric devices only functioned in the hands of trained Riskers, however - they were simply too improbable otherwise.

Military development kept apace with civilian development almost accidentally. A device used to drive tie ropes was found to work equally well at driving stakes through distant targets. With a little practice, the Straightdraw can be used to raise the stakes all over the place!

Even so, life is peaceful - and that itself is exciting! The Fortugnat keep to themselves, and so far the other People have let them. The Fortugnat are a People poised to do great things, given the opportunity!

(The Fortugnat of Great Cave have rebounded, but they started from far less than most others. Within the Cave, they have a Population of 20 and increasing next round unless modified. Only Fortugnat are allowed in the Cave - they are a People with more secrets than most, after all!

The Fortugnat are custodians of the Artifact Truth-Wall-Scroll. It can be used once this Age, then it will vanish until next Age. It is indestructible. It can only be used by a God.

Their morale is extremely, almost recklessly good.)

The Lakes have quite a different ambiance than Chromeport. Life is slow and tranquil out there, and certainly not as crowded. Even in the wetstone structures, where most Aqueau and the smattering of other People live, the mood is one of playful exploration. And why not? The eponymous lakes provide everything they could ever hope to desire, and anything missing they could get from Chromeport in their weekly shipments. Besides, they had something Chromeport didn’t have - the Box.

Now, the Box had a rocky start, for sure - the first players were, on the whole, embarrasingly terrible - but many of the Aqueau remembered (or had at least heard stories of) the stories spun out of the ether by the Box during Gulm’s Age. With the God gone, all they had left of him was the Box and those half-remembered stories… and Brotato, the high priest of Gulm, if such a thing could exist. Brotato never gave up hope, not ever, keeping up the momentum even when others flagged. Chicken Wing Chun was a mastery of momentum, after all.

Through sheer bloody-mindedness, Brotato forced the Box into respectibility. Eventually, the audience began to stay through entire shows. Eventually, they cheered! By the time the Gods had arrived, the Box Theatre was a bona-fide institution, the pride of the Lakes’ eccentric community. The signs of the Gods’ arrival were written in the stars long before their coming, and as such Brotato and his company have had time to put together a show. With the Gods in attendance, it’s sure to be a hit!

-O-
One day, Brotato found a weird... thing in some forgotten corner of the Box. It smelled like chips and it looked like... nothing, really. He kept it around just in case!

(The Lakes are home to a variety of People, though chiefly Aqueau. By and large, they are heavier (some verging on obese) compared to ‘stock’ individuals of their given Peoples due to their consumption of chocolate Milk (and Chococheese). The area boasts a Population of 30 Aqueau, 15 Silvurtle and 5 Verre.

The Lake Aqueau are custodians of the Miracle Glee-And-Whimsy. It can be used once, then it will crumble away. Until it is used, it is indestructible.

Morale is decent and stable.)

The Rupture nearly broke the Laitache.

Nearly. Most records of the time were destroyed, but exploration of the wreckage helped explain matters somewhat. First and foremost - ParaDice exploded not from overuse of Moocoup (as some had feared) or due to Legendairy’s hubris (as most had assumed), but rather due to an imbalance in the island’s structure. The old God had lifted the island with his powers, thereafter setting in motion a Rising force and a Falling force to keep it in balance. Reckless mining and experimentation had destabilized the careful balance, and insufficient care was paid to it by their former emperor. Finally, the dicestone mountain had buckled under the pressure - and some had Risen into the high heavens and some had Fallen down to shatter against the waves. The rest spun madly around the skies of Somewhere - ParaDice Lost, home to the last dregs of the Laitache empire.

Most had perished in the first instant of the disaster, the titanic forces simply obliterating them. They were the lucky ones. Almost as an afterthought, the stores of HBX detonated, propelling huge fragments of the island in all directions. In some dark way, this was a blessing, as on these fragments, life persisted. The event continued for days, with some especially large fragments tossed up and down in the twisted gravity, cruelly swatting down the few safe islands. And then, suddenly, it ended, leaving the survivors to pick up the pieces.

A morbid inventory followed. All Earthbound Heavies perished - utterly - as well as a goodly portion of the Earthbound Lights. Those few surviving were driven mad by grief, many throwing themselves to their doom. The survivors were a coldly cunning lot (or else mad themselves), the best and luckiest of them all. Notably, the Mageec Schul survived the Rupture, and in the years to come would form the heart of the remaining community.

Drunk on Hoozebootch and reckless from grief, the Schul produced many strange compounds - and began to experiment with the strange magic Sacricotta, its fragmented power snatched from the dying moments of their Emperor.

More than ever, they keep to themselves, the few that descend to Chromeport only doing so when they could not bear the anguish of living among the tombs of their ancestors. Even so, they do not carry any animosity towards the surface-dwellers - merely a deep, racial nihilism towards life itself. To have fallen from so high to this state is more than most can bear.

(ParaDice Lost is full of scattered treasures of a lost Age, much of which is beyond the capacity of modern Laitache to understand. The area contains no more than a Population of 10 Laitache, and the number will decrease next round unless modified. Of that Population, most of the survivors are Winged, with only a scant few Earthbound.

Morale is basically as bad as possible without mass suicides.)

-O-
So as you may have noticed, we have our first Bipartite God! Going forward, this is an option for people - Gods that get in can invite someone who didn’t to merge with them and play with some tweaked rules.
  • Bipartite Gods get a combined Icon, both Specialties, a combined name, and 3 HP.
  • Each member of such a God takes their own Action, and each rolls a d10 instead of a d20. If both parts make complimentary Actions, they combine their rolls to see the effect. If they make wholly different Actions, their rolls stand on their own.
  • Regardless, for HP purposes, the total roll is the one counted - if the total is below 10, they lose an HP.
  • Wisps may affect either aspect of a Bipartite God.
  • If one aspect rolls a 1 (and it remains 1 after Wisp modification), only their Action backfires, though the combined God loses 2 HP. If both roll 1, that’s really bad luck! Also they die.
  • If one aspect rolls a 10 on their Action, it functions as a critical success with slightly lesser power. If BOTH roll a 10 on their Action, something crazy happens.
Bipartite Gods have the advantage of versatility in a way that other Gods don't, but I suspect they'll be pretty fragile (moreso than normal) if they don't work together.

Here's a few reminders from earlier in the thread, though I suspect most of you know how this goes by now!

quote:

• Pick one People, focus your Action on them. The mere fact that you focus on them will uplift them to sentience and kick off their culture, regardless of the success of your roll.
  • Your Action each turn has to be focused on People - you can't just create a storm, you need to storm SOMEONE.
  • Reminder: Gods state their action and roll 1d20 to see how well it went off. Wisps can +-1 to any SINGLE God's roll - only once per Wisp! add two +1’s and two -1’s per Age, although only one choice per round.
  • Each God can pick whatever People they want - you don't have to split up. In past games, everyone just worked with one group, leaving the others to do whatever. The sides with Gods on them will have a distinct advantage, however!
  • You don't need to stick with the same People each time! Next round you can totally help someone else, if you want.
  • Even if two God's actions are in opposition, they both happen. The higher roll takes priority, but side-effects will spin off from the other roll. Everyone's decisions matter.
  • Keep in mind they're basically cavemen romans/barbarians victorian-era turn of the century, now - if you tell them to build Power Armor now, they're just going to be like :wtf: and try their best with hilarious outcomes. ‘hmm, let’s see what we can do!’ and you’ll get SOMETHING - but it might not be pretty, yet!
  • Your god will die, but your legacy will live on. Make it a legacy you're proud of! ...Or live on in ancestral fear!

• EDIT: Some clarification someone asked later:

dog kisser posted:

Ah - just natural rolls for 1 or 20. Wisp aided makes it just real bad or real good normal rolls. This also applies to the 2 HP health loss on the 1 and the +1 to rolls on the 20.

Edit: ALSO! If you roll a 20 and get pushed down, you get the +1 bonus, but not giga success. If you roll a 1 and get pushed up, you take 2 damage, but not giga failure!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 21, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Also I realized late in that process that I forgot to do the Remnants! I'll edit those (and the current locations of the other Remnants) into the post tomorrow. Oops!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Love the picture of the Mad Scientist!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Long ago, a wisp from the first age saw the creation of Somewhere, and it was good.
Then that creation had people on it, that was also good.
And during that age he had been working out the subtle mechanics.

Gods that got the worship of an entire race, got it unconditionally, until a different God came along and that fervour was lost and so too was the name of that God.

On the other hand, Gods that influenced one particular part of society stayed in the memory long after their death.

The wisp looks over the remains of ParaDice and the crater of the last gamble

For better or for worse. But drawn to somewhere he flies onwards and downwards towards something that didn't quite have a name yet but he could taste it in the same way a sailor tastes the seas.

Theatre

---

"Alright let's try this again" Said Brotato Chicken Wing Chun expert and budding playwright to another Aqueau in a very fanciful costume. The line is "What saaaay you!"
"What say you"
"No what saaaaaaaaay you"
"What say you?"
"Are you doing this on purpose?"

The God had been watching this display for a while and, well without being utterly blunt it 'needed work'. But diamonds before they shine are rough indeed and from this caberet he could see a diamond mine.

Let's get down to brass tacks the God clapped, the play stopped, the presence-

"The line is flat because it lacks PASSION that is the problem!"
"Are... Are you another God?"
"No I'm a figment of all of your imaginations in a collective hallucination caused by off chocolate milk cheese. Do you have a script we can go over?"
"What's a script?"
A silence falls on the stage
"Oh dear there's going to be a lot of this alright gentlemen."

"I am Thespias, God of the Arts. Allow me to introduce you to the world that is Theatre"

A script dropped on stage. "Let's go over this one together shall we?"

Thespias is going to run a crash course on thearatic productions with the Box Theatre players, they have the right idea in terms of acting and such but there's more then just reciting out lines to theatre. Writing scripts; designing backdrops and costumes, and oh yes learning how to actually act.

1d20 = 13

Not a bad start

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 21, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm so proud of the Fortugnat. :3:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ash, God of Mending

Somewhere is broken. Oh, on the surface it continues and parts of it thrives, but the petty squabbles of men and gods have wrought great destruction on the land. Ash had thought for many an Age on how to correct the course of Somewhere, and knew where to begin.

At least, so it had thought. As Ash surveyed the peoples of Somewhere, it saw peace, prosperity, contentment... in all places of the world save one. This would not do. Yes the rise and fall of peoples was an inevitability, but some fall too far. Some prices, paid because of greed and hubris, were too much. As the personification of repair, Ash felt compelled to fix that which was clearly broken.

"Hello." Ash said, appearing before the Laitache of the Mageec Schul. "You seem to have a problem, your home is in pieces." Ash waited a short time for the usual moments of shock, awe, etc that happened when people first met a god. "Please hold onto something and I'll see what I can do about that."

Gathering together the powers at hand, Ash set to mending the island of Paradice. A floating island? No that wouldn't do, parts of it were already in the water and it would just break again. It would be best to just gather all the pieces that are left together, repair them, and set them back on the ocean. Put the Mageec Schul here, build a little mountain there, add a river of milk, Dicestone is such a funny material... Well, let's hope this holds together.

Returning Paradice to an island on the ocean, with a little more Milk this time. Trying to repair what the Laitache had built that wasn't too broken by the Rupturing, but anything reduced to rubble will just be transformed to a more natural state.
Roll

1d20=13

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Bipartite God of Dawn and That Guy Over There

A single, stray thought had somehow crossed the infinite boundary of Somewhere and Nowhere. A lure sunk into the vast Ocean outside and it had caught a wisp hook, line and sinker.

"Man, I Wish someone else could get up and pass me the chips."

Maddened by the obvious passion of desire the wisp propelled itself against the boundary, heedless of the other powers in its wake. It pounded and pounded as if its will alone could pierce the veil that so many others had tried, but it was not to be.
Only through combined efforts was it broken, and in the shattering the wisp both lost and gained.

With the new Cycle came the Dawn. And lo, it was as if Somewhere had always been shrouded in darkness in comparison. Brightest of all shone the New Light on the Box, a divine spotlight cast from the newly lit heavens themselves.

"YOU THERE!"
"YES YOU, THAT GUY OVER THERE!"
"YOU ARE AWESOME."
"EVERYBODY SHOULD WORSHIP THAT GUY, HE IS THE BEST!"

"Huh?"

Shining the Spotlight Eternal: 1d10 = 1

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Bipartite God of Dawn and That Guy Over There

YOU! Yes, you! You are the Sapa-Verre!

3!

In the dawn, beauty reigns and the way is clearer.

Follow your destiny, o great one, and let Somewhere bask in the glory of the Morninglord.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yikes. Is that a turn one fatality?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
+1 Swedish Bipartite

Wisp number 13

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

AJ_Impy posted:

Yikes. Is that a turn one fatality?
If I have the rules right, bipartite gods, unlike normal gods, don't take the 2HP damage for rolling a natural 1 if their net wisp bonus is positive (on whichever side of the god rolled the 1). That makes sense, since there's a much higher chance of getting 1s when rolling 2d10 than 1d20. Basically they're more stable, but less likely to get naturally high results (due to 2d10 giving a bell curve of results).

So if Swedish Thaumocracy gets more +s than -s then they'll both stay in the game with 1HP damage, or no damage if the net wisp bonus takes their result over 10.

+1 to Swedish Thaumocracy

Wisp Count: 11

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
-1 bipartate Ubernoob

Wisps: 5
++ / -0

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

+1 to the God of Dawn

11th wisping

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

-1 Ash

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Goddamnit Thaum how could you let me down like this. I really liked your God Concept too.

But yeah anyways, I am sworn to guard the sanctity of natural high and low rolls. Therefore:

-1 to Bipartite Thaumocracy This got changed, due to how Bipartite Gods work

Wispings stand at 5

See I am not happy about this either. I could have helped you or my cows but YOU HAVE FORCED MY HAND.

I TAKE THIS AS A PERSONAL AFFRONT.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 21, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

-1 to the Bipartite Sunguys. I demand extremes of success.

5 wispings total

++/- remaining

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
-1 Bipartite God of Dawn and That Guy Over There

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Enane, god of Bounderies and the In-between

Enane surveys the land. He sees many thing there he likes; chromeport, where peoples meet and mix, Heavies among the Verre, the slowly restoring Fortugnat... These things where pleasing to him. But despite the many people and the varieties of magic and science, little did they mix. The borders between 'moocoup' and 'glass shaping' and 'silver song' were rarely broken down and melded and mixed. This did not do. That which is outside and between the established, that is where power and change lies. In the liminal. And so he would have to create this... for which he needed a space, and people who would learn. And so he sent out a whisper across the world, reaching only those he wished. Those liminal and in-between, those outside and not belonging. The magic he would grant them, the magic they would discover and create, it would rely on liminality, and only those who did not belong would be able to use it.

A nomadic Verre hunter lay bleeding, dying. He was a skilled Cutter, but he had been wounded by a beast and his comerades driven off. He was inbetween death and life, and outside his tribe, which thought him dead. He heard a whisper.

An Aqueau Moocoup artist in Chromeport lay drunken in the street. He was skilled at his craft, but poor luck and Hoozebootch had taken their toll, and now he was outside of society, no money and no home, living on the edge of Chromeport's life. He heard a whisper.

A Winged Light apprentice sat on the steps of the Mageec Shuul. She had failed from over-ambition, their wild and perfect theories of Saricotta decried as dangerous at best. They were no longer an appretice of the Mageec Shuul, and they no longer had any family to return to. As they cursed the shuul, they heard a whisper

A silvertutle merchent was humming and wandering along a well-worn path. He had never felt at home in chromeport, and at any rate, he had no house there. He was skilled in the silver song, however, and travelled from place to place selling beautiful silver objects and aiding those he met. Many thought him Verre-like, for he had been raised by those, but he did not belong among them, either. As he hummed tunes of silver song, he heard a whisper.

A Laitache milchemist was running away, sticks and stones pelting her from behind. She had been caught stealing, though it had been a clever ruse by an enemy, and she was now being sent into exile. Judged guilty by her peers, but innocent in her heart, she, too, was inbetween, and having been forced out, she was liminal, living all places and everywhere. So soon as the last rock had been thrown, she heard a whisper.

A Fortugnat perl-diver laughed with joy as they broke the surface of the lake. They did not remember when water had hurt her people, but the superstitions still rang strong with them, and their brothers and sisters eyed them with superstition. Few Fortugnat had ever attained even the rudimentary knowledge of water magic that they did, and that sat them aside. Often, they had felt more like Aqueau than fortugnat. They heard a whisper.

A Varre walked from the mouth of the Fortugnat's cave. He was special. He had been the first outsider to ever learn their Sorcerisk, after having saved a sorcerisker from an almost mortal wound after one of his spells. He smiled, but his footsteps were heavy. He did not know where his tribe was, for he had been left behind, and he could not discuss his sorcerisk with anyone, for only the Fortugnat knew it. As he walked the road, he belonged to noone and nowhere, and he heard a whisper.

The whisper that all heard was this: "A life await you, in the caverns beneath chromeport, where the anomalice skitter and hide. Go, there, and meet others like you, others who are in-between. With them, you will create the greater magic, the in-between magic, the magic which is all magics at once, and which can only be used by those who are themelves in-between. Go there, and Create the liminal magic."

Choose wizards and give Quest: 1d20 4

• Locked thread