Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Beasteh posted:

People are going utterly apeshit on the Kong forums. Muh idle incremental clicker, indeed.

I mean, nearly a month's radio silence plus several months spent on what by all appearances is a graphical overhaul is kinda obnoxious. If they'd be a bit more clear into what backend stuff is happening that helps with new systems and poo poo and why the graphical overhaul was required for it, I think people would be more understanding. It's just obnoxious to basically be treading water waiting for content and then get... that.

My two cents. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the bright side, my Hive Mind bonus and Faceless 4 challenge benefit are increasingly lovely.

Never mind that they'll both collapse to an unimpressive pittance whenever I get around to ascending.

But yeah, for a game that was noteworthy for interesting content and a pretty decent update schedule to keep people busy, these months of gently caress-all have been something of a letdown.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That was me the first time :shobon:

Lesson learned, I guess. No second Transcend until I send my mercs out for enough rubies/click on the little fish thing often enough to have a QA right off the bat. Is it floored at giving 7 Souls?

Yes, minimum HS you can get from a QA is 7 so if you have 1-2 pocketed for the Transcend you are guaranteed 7-14 HS. Another tip is to Save your game before you Transcend; then afterwards, if you get a bad starting offer of Ancients and/or bad rerolls just reload your save, re-Transcend and try again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm like 99% sure the new UI stuff like template save/load and buy all upgrades button are part of the UI update, so there's that to look forward to immediately.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm still confused by Realm Grinders popularity. I've tried to get into it a few times but unless I didn't get very far it was still closer to a Idle Heroes than a Mine Defense. You get your numbers big and reset so you can get them big again. Was I missing something?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Len posted:

I'm still confused by Realm Grinders popularity. I've tried to get into it a few times but unless I didn't get very far it was still closer to a Idle Heroes than a Mine Defense. You get your numbers big and reset so you can get them big again. Was I missing something?

Well that is the essence of all idlers. But there are other mechanics that open with each reincarnation. Also the ultimate "goal" is to get all the trophy's, and obviously to do that, your numbers will have to go up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
RG has a bunch of mutually exclusive choices and the solutions are pretty non obvious unless you go read the wiki and forum a bunch, which already sets it above the vast majority of idlers.

Also you need to interrupt the main gem growth grind on a regular basis to do other things to unlock factions, trophies, challenges, researches, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Despite having all the content unlocked already, I really hope that when the RG devs get around to rewriting things and cleaning up descriptions they actually add explicit details of the Research unlock requirements like they did with Challenges. It's a total guessing game with two minor hints and half the kongregate forums seem to think that's totally okay. I'm of the opinion that an external site should never be needed just to find out how to get something and that even secret trophies are kinda pushing it.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Factory idle is pretty nice and scratches the reactor idle itch that I didn't know I had.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
We'll check back with you in a couple days, see if it sticks.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Does it turn into poo poo? Or better question, did I miss people already talking about it between the RG chat?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Does it turn into poo poo? Or better question, did I miss people already talking about it between the RG chat?

It starts off fun, but you end up having to repeatedly redo your whole factory, and it ends up feeling kinda tedious.

It does, on the other hand, give you something to do while you wait days for it to build up research points.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, nearly a month's radio silence plus several months spent on what by all appearances is a graphical overhaul is kinda obnoxious. If they'd be a bit more clear into what backend stuff is happening that helps with new systems and poo poo and why the graphical overhaul was required for it, I think people would be more understanding. It's just obnoxious to basically be treading water waiting for content and then get... that.

My two cents. :shrug:

it still gets updates quicker than any other idle game of its age.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

baram. posted:

it still gets updates quicker than any other idle game of its age.

Oh I don't disagree. I think that's part of why the reaction is so vehement (although way overblown) - RG has been getting updates so consistently and to basically have it grind to a halt for what looks like basically looks like lipstick on a pig is really irritating.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh I don't disagree. I think that's part of why the reaction is so vehement (although way overblown) - RG has been getting updates so consistently and to basically have it grind to a halt for what looks like basically looks like lipstick on a pig is really irritating.

I dunno, count me in the 'new UI looks nice' camp. I'm all for changing it up. The other part is that they have made it clear that this allows for a lot more customization moving forward, so there's a lot of behind the scenes work going on.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I like the new UI, but mostly I'm just glad they've done away with that awful gaudy treasure chest.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Factory idle was fun starting off but having to redo your entire goddamn factory every time you get an upgrade is exceedingly obnoxious. I say you have to redo since the upgrades mean instead of a 3:2:1::4 ratio, it becomes 2:1:1:2 or whatever and if you leave the factory the way it is, you will start running at a loss. I managed to get up to electronics and quit.

e. and it didn't help that I discovered this reddit thread that has optimal builds for each ratio... like
etc

e2. If you want to play a game like this, just get Factorio; it's a thousand times better.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 21, 2016

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ambaire posted:

e2. If you want to play a game like this, just get Factorio; it's a thousand times better.

Is it ever gonna get a release though?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

GrossMurpel posted:

If you haven't tried modded minecraft, it was a huge inspiration for Factorio and reactor/factory idle. And it's freeish.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
R42 now... just the R45 trophy to go, and then I can finally be free. I can finally die

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Carados posted:

If you haven't tried modded minecraft, it was a huge inspiration for Factorio and reactor/factory idle. And it's freeish.

Minecraft isn't free? I mean the mods are but Minecraft itself is as much as Factorio.

Factorio is pretty much in a released state if you want to play around in the sandbox. I'm not sure what else is going to be added before 'official release'. There's a story mode but honestly I don't see a ton happening with that.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Poultron posted:

R42 now... just the R45 trophy to go, and then I can finally be free. I can finally die

No, you'll just sleep until the next update.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

GrossMurpel posted:

It's already release-quality, and I say that as someone who normally hates Early Access. My only real caveat is an unintuitive UI, which is getting a major overhaul for 0.13 (due in about a week). Seriously, if you liked Factory Idle then you should definitely buy Factorio.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I keep trying to enjoy The Perfect Tower but it's hard when memory leaks/bad handling of >10 blocks dying at once/whatever make even x4 graphic-less move at x1.8 speed now that I have a flaming icy rock wind zapper void nature piercing tower of mass destruction able to beat wave after wave without really stopping. Kinda wish there was a way to skip like all the waves of enemies that can't hurt you for more than 1% of your health through the block/resist/universal resist or something so I could actually have something to do other than stare as the waves sloooooooooowly tick up (or of course actually fix the problem but I have a feeling that will take a while).

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I keep trying to enjoy The Perfect Tower but it's hard when memory leaks/bad handling of >10 blocks dying at once/whatever make even x4 graphic-less move at x1.8 speed now that I have a flaming icy rock wind zapper void nature piercing tower of mass destruction able to beat wave after wave without really stopping. Kinda wish there was a way to skip like all the waves of enemies that can't hurt you for more than 1% of your health through the block/resist/universal resist or something so I could actually have something to do other than stare as the waves sloooooooooowly tick up (or of course actually fix the problem but I have a feeling that will take a while).

In the options menu, you can turn the graphics to low which removes all the particle effects, among other things. I had those performance troubles Before then too.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

In the options menu, you can turn the graphics to low which removes all the particle effects, among other things. I had those performance troubles Before then too.

Ah so the gfx button is basically pointless. Good to know if aggravating.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

the worst thing about perfect tower is that additional hit procs only work at the lowest speed (unless the dev has managed to figure that out)

that's why your furthest run on slow will be way way further than on fast

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

the worst thing about perfect tower is that additional hit procs only work at the lowest speed (unless the dev has managed to figure that out)

That is a game not worth playing. Game Speed shouldn't change mechanics, if it does, you are playing a lovely game.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
What's a good build to power through R15? I stopped making significant progress with lightning forge (doesn't help that RWS doesn't want to read my saves for some reason).

vvv I can't count :downs:

Grey Elephants fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 22, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
How many gems do you have? Once you're at the amount you needed to finish R15 it's time to start research, so R16 shouldn't be any tougher than R15 was.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 22, 2016

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Grey Elephants posted:

What's a good build to power through R16? I stopped making significant progress with lightning forge (doesn't help that RWS doesn't want to read my saves for some reason).

I used lightning forge for most of it, I think. RWS broke for me every time I bought LS first out of the two spell choices - if I bought chanting, then strike, the save would import and read correctly. If not, it would tell me I didn't have LS.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I am not seeing this happen at least as far as the multishot/bounce/rapid fire procs are concerned (and sincerely doubt it for the elemental procs - max your elemental piercing, void, shatter, and incineration; I bet you'll see a difference). I am, however, still experiencing slowdown past wave 1500 (but not nearly as bad as before with medium quality, and the graphics button actually seems to work this time even if the speed increase is disappointing). Game is still not great but at least I can progress.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

factory idle is good but way too slow and the upgrades make it worse. You can keep the same ratio for the most part but it often means buying 2+ upgrades for one thing alongside multiple upgrades for the other parts. You either have to rebuild your whole factory for every upgrade or wait a really long time to buy your next upgrade and there's no in-game way to know exactly how much you need for the next upgrade so there's no way to plan ahead. It's a neat idea but it's obvious that he was trying to sell the time travel tickets and stuff. I can't blame him because I'm sure people bought them and it's money but it still makes the game suffer.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

diarmuidqq posted:

I used lightning forge for most of it, I think. RWS broke for me every time I bought LS first out of the two spell choices - if I bought chanting, then strike, the save would import and read correctly. If not, it would tell me I didn't have LS.

Make sure you pick lightning strike as the last spell (I think). If it's in the wrong slot, RWS won't see it. It's been a few weeks since I've done it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm at R3 in Realm Grinder and trying to tackle the last tier 1 challenge for Demons: collect 5000 coins without using Reincarnation Power, Gem Power or Excavations. It's excruciatingly slow. Should I do it in a later level or just wait it out?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Merijn posted:

I'm at R3 in Realm Grinder and trying to tackle the last tier 1 challenge for Demons: collect 5000 coins without using Reincarnation Power, Gem Power or Excavations. It's excruciatingly slow. Should I do it in a later level or just wait it out?

Are there any achievements that might help you out? Other than achievements, I don't think there's much you can do to speed it up.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Goblin's Greed helps me gain faction coins really really fast now (a few minutes later) but I still have to unlock & buy the Hellfire Blast trophy upgrade. I'll wait it out, I guess.

e: gently caress, I'm a dumbass. :doh:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Grey Elephants posted:

What's a good build to power through R15? I stopped making significant progress with lightning forge (doesn't help that RWS doesn't want to read my saves for some reason).

vvv I can't count :downs:

As already suggested, one of the forge builds like lightning forge, should do the job. Very important though: get the "Know Your Enemy, Part 1" artifact which unlocks a goddamn powerful upgrade for mercs. It's available starting in R12, I think, and makes the R15 -> R16 gem wall go from a terrible horrible grind to a moderate annoyance.

I think a better forge build than lightning forge (or diamond forge) exists somewhere, but I don't recall its name and the wiki doesn't seem to have been updated to include it.

Merijn posted:

Set up an autoclicker to click the treasure every 30 ms, and come back in 30-60 minutes or so. Less time than that, if you wait until R7 (for bloodlines) and add elf bloodline.

Trying that challenge without an autoclicker will take hours and hours and hours.

Scrying for faction coins is also an option, I suppose.

Vil fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 22, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Merijn posted:

Its one that has to be done with no gem power, no reincarnation power, no excavation, no bloodlines, so yes, just wait it out.

I set up demons, then went offline and off to bed. It was done by the time i checked in in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

No, bloodlines are fine, and the Elf bloodline in particular will complete the challenge in a few minutes with no autoclicker required.