Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Charlie Bobson posted:

I played re4 for the first time recently and it was real good

What game do i continue my Resident evil journey with?

Have you played the Separate Ways campaign as well? Because you should if you haven't.

Yeah, because then you get to play the game 4 times for the whole experience.

It may seem like I'm saying that as a bad thing but I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well if you only care about "canon" then you only really need to play it twice, first as Claire and then as Leon. But who gives a poo poo about Resident Evil canon? You should play both Claire A/Leon B and Leon A/Claire B.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is Umbrella Corps not coming to the bone?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Raxivace posted:

I found a podcast recently where the hosts care to an extreme degree about the Resident Evil canon.

I do not recommend this podcast.

Project Umbrella?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished Leon Chapter 1 in RE6.

Holy hell that is long, and people were right about the game not explaining stuff particularly well. It took me over an hour to figure out how to throw a grenade. It took me another thirty minutes just to figure out how to use a First Aid Spray.

Also is the Quick Turn not in this game? I thought I was doing it for a while but then it seemed like I wasn't. Once I got the hang of it though the game did seem pretty fun, though the enemies are a little damage spongey.

Wanderer posted:

Project Umbrella?
Yeah. Like I enjoy the Resident Evil stories for what they are in each game, but these guys also complain about the story to RE4 being too silly or something.

That's not to say they don't have anything interesting to say (They also mentioned there doesn't actually seem to be any reason for RE0 to need to be a prequel, which I think is a pretty strong point actually), but it's all a bit too much for me.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 22, 2016

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

There's no quick turn command in RE6. Instead, you tap X (PS3 controls) to face the camera where your character is looking.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whoever decided that NONE of the control schemes in resident evil 0 hd would have square as run/reload should be put in jail

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Raxivace posted:

It took me over an hour to figure out how to throw a grenade. It took me another thirty minutes just to figure out how to use a First Aid Spray.

:stare:

Doesn't at least the healing item thing happen in the unskippable tutorial in the beginning?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

:stare:

Doesn't at least the healing item thing happen in the unskippable tutorial in the beginning?
It does, but that involved combining herbs and setting them to R2 IIRC (I went through this part a little faster than I would have liked though, before I quite grasped the new menu system. I might be totally wrong about this and just be the world's biggest idiot). From what I can tell First Aid Sprays can't be set to R2 like Herbs, which is what was confusing me since I didn't realize for the longest time the way you cycle through items and weapons, at least with the controller set up I have.

All in all the changes between RE5 and RE6 just feel much larger to me than the changes between RE4 and RE5. I guess I'm still adjusting, but I think I got the hang of it now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's the biggest problem with RE6. It plays well, but the game does a really piss poor job explaining the new mechanics to you now and the level design doesn't play to the strengths of the mechanics. So people go in trying to play it like RE4 and 5, going slow and being methodical with shooting limbs to set up melee and then get frustrated when you're really meant to rush in using your guns to soften enemies up and then aggressively melee enemies and counter their attacks and then back off to let your stamina recharge.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

RoanHorse posted:

Like, I am the exact person that Umbrella Corps was made for, the person that wanted Resident Evil games that proudly don't give a gently caress about where they are in the canon and are just weird amalgams of their other games' mechanics/settings/monsters with a multiplayer shootyman frame to bring it all together.

I paid $30+ to play the mercenaries versus games that were released on the iPhone as experiments to gauge interest in the dlc game modes that would eventually be totally ignored by the RE6 playerbase. I liked those! I did not regret those purchases!

Umbrella Corps is the development equivalent of a miscarriage.

Edit: To be clear, I am also the kind of person that is annoyed by games like Revelations and their plotlines having weird canon implications. It's the arcade-style games (and game modes) with devil-may-care attitudes about the rest of the series' tone that I get the most enjoyment out of, but I do have an interest in the ''''story'''' of RE as well.

A l4d/vermintide style low budget game is an excellent fit for the later re gameplay style, it's amazing how they keep loving up.

Raid mode is super barebones when it comes to original assets and it still lasted me a good while in both Rev 1 & 2.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What are y'all talking about? Quick turn exists in RE6 the same as it ever did. I just did it to confirm: pull back on the analog stick and press A (Xbox pad) and you quick turn.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

It does, but that involved combining herbs and setting them to R2 IIRC (I went through this part a little faster than I would have liked though, before I quite grasped the new menu system. I might be totally wrong about this and just be the world's biggest idiot). From what I can tell First Aid Sprays can't be set to R2 like Herbs, which is what was confusing me since I didn't realize for the longest time the way you cycle through items and weapons, at least with the controller set up I have.

All in all the changes between RE5 and RE6 just feel much larger to me than the changes between RE4 and RE5. I guess I'm still adjusting, but I think I got the hang of it now.

This may just be because 90% of the games I've ever played were on the PC but I originally bought RE6 for the PS3 so I could play it with a friend but then we also both bought it later on during some Steam sale. The difference between playing with a controller and a keyboard was huge to me, all the controls just seemed to be in much more logical places on a keyboard and though I already was one of the weirdos that thought RE6 was really fun (even outside of Mercenaries) the switch to mouse and keyboard made it even better.

Probably just used to a keyboard though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

All the gloom surrounding umbrella corps made me take a second look at ORC and apparently it uses GFWL and doesn't even launch for half of the reviewers on Steam.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wow, I think Umbrella Corps is something they threw together to test a new engine. It's thoroughly obnoxious to play.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It's Unity engine. It's free lol

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The camera in UC just completely throws me off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Umbrella Corps looks like something that unofficial RE4 remake team threw together in their spare time. I guess theres a reason they didn't put the RE branding on it.

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2016

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The voice work in it is so uninspired as well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's Unity engine. It's free lol

My other theory was that it spontaneously generated somehow, like they just found it, almost feature-complete, under a bin.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Never thought I'd miss ORC but here we are.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The idea of swat teams having an all out brawl in the Spencer mansion is a bit like adding a nuclear explosion to Nosferatu. Game looks loving stupid

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
When ORC 2.0 was announced you could tell it was bad the way it looked and played, there shouldn't be much surprise. I don't even know if it was meant to be a cash grab because they obviously had no faith in the project.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm not surprised, because it didn't look good from the get go, but it had some neat looking ideas and I was hopeful they'd get it together.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lunethex posted:

When ORC 2.0 was announced you could tell it was bad the way it looked and played, there shouldn't be much surprise. I don't even know if it was meant to be a cash grab because they obviously had no faith in the project.

So you'll be doing an LP of it in the style of your ORC one, right?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There's nothing to LP it's just an online only shooting game :v:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There is single player! Shoot 20 zombies mission repeated endlessly along an advancement grid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sounds like they pretty much quit making it and forced out a partially finished product which is funny when they are trying to build up good faith for RE7. Capcom is terrible.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, at the very least they didn't brand it Resident Evil over here so I guess Capcom had the foresight to avoid tarnishing the franchise name (in the West at least).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

So I'm a fool and bought ORC. Turns out everyone was right, it's bad in the worst possible ways, by which I mean it's just totally uninspired and mechanically sloppy. Ech. What a good concept, too! But it isn't even cool or funny.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

So I'm a fool and bought ORC. Turns out everyone was right, it's bad in the worst possible ways, by which I mean it's just totally uninspired and mechanically sloppy. Ech. What a good concept, too! But it isn't even cool or funny.

I'm amazed you even got the drat game to run on modern systems.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

The cutscenes are cool at least

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its me, I'm that weirdo that actually enjoys ORC.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alteisen posted:

Its me, I'm that weirdo that actually enjoys ORC.

You aren't alone. ORC was fun for what it was.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Len posted:

You aren't alone. ORC was fun for what it was.

I enjoy it as well., awful balance issues aside.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I really liked ORC's online for the period of time that it existed. At the very least Slant Six had a SOCOM pedigree so the base mechanics for online were neat, I liked the angle of having a "third" side that was entirely monsters trying to kill everyone else so you'd have all these situations where you want to kill the other team but hey Mr. X just showed up and now you HAVE to work together or you're all hosed.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

http://www.relyonhorror.com/articles/albert-wesker-is-still-alive-apparently-more-surprising-revelations-from-umbrella-corps/

So apparently Umbrella Corps is a canon follow-up to RE6, and it reveals Wesker is still alive? I still have a hard time believing this game and anything that happens in it will matter in the future, but still.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God forbid they actually kill off known good character Wesker.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

http://www.relyonhorror.com/articles/albert-wesker-is-still-alive-apparently-more-surprising-revelations-from-umbrella-corps/

So apparently Umbrella Corps is a canon follow-up to RE6, and it reveals Wesker is still alive? I still have a hard time believing this game and anything that happens in it will matter in the future, but still.

It will turn out that Wesker actually meant to have Chris and Sheva thwart his plans and kill him. He also knew about Alex Wesker, and not only knew her plan would work, but was counting on it so she could die and possess a little girl's body. She would then in turn be infected with a super-virus which would overwrite her personality with his own, giving him life once more and an entire world which mistakenly believes him to be gone for good - just as planned.

Oh, come on, it would not even be close to the stupidest thing this series has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

...What!?

No, really, what the gently caress?! Wesker's back and you loving blow that reveal on THIS poo poo?!