Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
So like; is Chibi-usa an eternal child or smth? Because if not it seems like all of these names that are basically "smol Usagi" have quite the expiration date on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Reading this thread with no previous Sailor Moon experience: is it usually the kind of series where the fondest dreamwish of all the Space Goddesses is to be a devoted, doting housewife to some rando? Or is this just a video game made exclusively by dudes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lady Naga posted:

So like; is Chibi-usa an eternal child or smth? Because if not it seems like all of these names that are basically "smol Usagi" have quite the expiration date on them.

I think she's supposed to be several hundred years old or something like that. She doesn't seem to grow up for some reason.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If Chibi-usa doesn't grow up, that solves the problem of future Usagi missing out on her daughter growing up. It also solves the problem of Chibi-usa's childhood being an insignificant part of Usagi's life and such she is spared from having to keep producing a ridiculous number of children (who would either die before her or also be immortal and face the same dilemma with needing tons of children) if she wants her motherhood to be a significant portion of her life. Freezing chibi-usa's age will have some problems, but I suspect the alternative would be worse. Mixing immortality with having children does have its complications.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Edvarius posted:

This game may have some pretty crap writing (though how much of that is a piss poor translation I am now unsure of), but I will give it credit for having some interesting ideas in there, even if they're bungled in the execution. The neat idea in this update is the tempting dreams of what the villains could arrange for the heroes if they allow them to alter fate/destiny/whatever. Specifically Venus' dream, where the big desire they try to tempt her with is... never having been Venus. There's just something incredibly sad about that.

Of course the thing they tried to get Sailor Moon with was just stupid, as she was already fated to wind up with Mamoru. I mean their future daughter was standing right there.

The thing is that they already did that in the third arc of the manga, which I'm pretty sure predates this game, so the idea isn't even that original anymore.

Torrannor posted:

I think she's supposed to be several hundred years old or something like that. She doesn't seem to grow up for some reason.

There's some vague conjecture by the characters in the manga that whatever magic makes everyone in Crystal Tokyo stop aging at twenty-something and Chibi-usa being of mixed moon and earth heritage got her stuck as a six year old instead. Turning into a Sailor Guardian also seems to have jumpstarted her growing again for whatever reason. Also I think she's 900 years old, so it only took Usagi a good 100 years to decide to have a child.

Old anime Chibi-usa was just a normal-aged child I think, or at least they never mentioned her age from what I remember.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I was really hoping the answer was just stupid instead of creepy but alas...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

a cartoon duck posted:

Old anime Chibi-usa was just a normal-aged child I think, or at least they never mentioned her age from what I remember.

Yeah, the 90s anime never addresses it. She's normal, as far as we know. The birthday flashback was for her fifth birthday, IIRC.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 21, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Explosions posted:

Reading this thread with no previous Sailor Moon experience: is it usually the kind of series where the fondest dreamwish of all the Space Goddesses is to be a devoted, doting housewife to some rando? Or is this just a video game made exclusively by dudes.

The anime/manga isn't usually this bad about the dating and romance and doting housewife schtick (and was actually penned by a woman) though there are little snippets of wanting to be in ~a relationship~ that come up more often than really needed. (Makoto in particular keeps crushing on randos that remind her of a former senpai/ex-boyfriend early on, especially in filler)

It's certainly never to the degree this game has it at, though.

Unrelatedly, I know it's supposed to be a glaive, but does it look to anyone else like Sailor Saturn is just holding a giant can opener?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Explosions posted:

No, this video game is just weird.

I'd don't think Usagi's plans pre-finding out she's going to be a goddess-queen are ever discussed, probably because she didn't really have any. Because she's Usagi and pretty much lives day-to-day.

The series is actually pretty feminist and Mamoru is more or less universally useless in the anime(and he knows it and respects the Senshi for being more powerful than him), so this really grinds my gears.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

KataraniSword posted:

The anime/manga isn't usually this bad about the dating and romance and doting housewife schtick (and was actually penned by a woman) though there are little snippets of wanting to be in ~a relationship~ that come up more often than really needed. (Makoto in particular keeps crushing on randos that remind her of a former senpai/ex-boyfriend early on, especially in filler)

It's certainly never to the degree this game has it at, though.

Unrelatedly, I know it's supposed to be a glaive, but does it look to anyone else like Sailor Saturn is just holding a giant can opener?

I never really minded the boy craziness because it was played for comedy, Makoto having a crush on every pretty boy (and sometimes a pretty girl) she sees was actually pretty funny. She was kind of like a female Johnny Bravo, in fact all of the girls took turns being female Johnny Bravoes and it usually got a laugh out of me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Why do you want the Silver Crystal?
Changing the fate of the world is very difficult.
/ Changing the fate of the world?
We shall change the fate of the planet, because we want to control the future!
You want to control the future...?
...Control... ....Future...
Sailor Moon! They're manipulating you! They're trying to make us imagine things!
Usa...

I actually did a small bit of localization work on the Ace Attorney Investigations 2 fan translation and this part makes my eyes bleed, so I wanna take a stab at fixing it!

What do you want with the Silver Crystal?!
It's the only way we can change the cycle of fate!
/ What do you mean?
With the Silver Crystal's power, we'll be able to control the future of everyone on this planet, including yours!
You mean the future the other Scouts saw was your doing?
....If you could do that...
Sailor Moon! Don't fall for their trap! Everything we've seen is just an illusion!
Usa...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's still pretty clunky to have Tuxedo and Sailor say the exact same thing if it's that long, considering I'm pretty sure they'd trip over themselves if that's the case. A simple "what!?" would've been better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of them speaking in unison in the first place, but alas the game.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Lady Naga posted:

It's still pretty clunky to have Tuxedo and Sailor say the exact same thing if it's that long, considering I'm pretty sure they'd trip over themselves if that's the case. A simple "what!?" would've been better.

It's something I've noticed in a lot of anime. Groups of people, sometimes large groups such as an entire classroom or stadium, will say the exact same thing with no coordination or signal. Often rather long things, even

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The kabuki influence is a blessing and a curse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also wanted to make it seem more clear that Sailor Moon was being manipulated, because all she did was repeat the words "Control the future."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The last exchange is clunky as all gently caress too but I understand you were polishing a turd. Characters wistfully stating the name of another character is one of my biggest Anime Peeves.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Explosions posted:

I feel like it's not really fair to slam some of this writing knowing about character beats that didn't happen for years after the game, but at least two of the "main 5" are revealed to be gay in the final arc, and a some people read the remaining two to be closeted for one another. The anime went with a lot of "X has crush on (rando of the week)" plots, usually with Makoto and Minako, but again, 200 episodes adapting a ~60 chapter manga. The fact that there was only one major filler arc is impressive.

So my point here is "no, it comes up at first because they're average teenage girls, and then they become warriors who tend to have other things on their minds when we see them". Maybe it's happening offscreen. (And in all fairness: some of the side-story chapters Takeuchi wrote went there but usually for comedy's sake.)

I feel like when I finish this thread I need to change my username to "Moonsplaining".

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 22, 2016

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Which of the main five turned out to be gay? That's news to me. Granted, I'm only familiar with Sailor Moon thanks to the old horrible DiC dub, but still.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
They're all gay for friendship

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Which of the main five turned out to be gay? That's news to me. Granted, I'm only familiar with Sailor Moon thanks to the old horrible DiC dub, but still.

I think END ME SCOOP means Rei and Minako, but it's pretty vague, really. Prior to the reveal I think they meant Minako was talking about how they'll totally have time to find boyfriends after they deal with the latest crisis, followed by some new character saying that's never gonna happen because they already got someone in their hearts, then a panel of Usagi and them agreeing. The implication being their duty as Sailor Guardians is more important to them than finding lovers or settling down or whatever.

On the other hand their body language was pretty gay in that scene from what I remember so it could go either way really.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

END ME SCOOB posted:

This was a dude from a single episode of the series named Joey Jojo.

That's the worst name I ever heard.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CheeseThief posted:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

*** Okay, I also lied here, because gently caress writing "Tuxedo Kamen-Sama" fifty times.
Really, gently caress writing that even once.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Jakoku is a weird-rear end enemy who kinda doesn't make sense and might be a personification of Chibi-Usa's fears? But the short version is "grim reaper, traps you in a dream til you die". I hope you're not shocked that a 200 episode anime with a bunch of monsters of the week went back to that well a time or two. Another slam on the translators, from one site:

THEY COULDN'T TRANSLATE "EVIL BLACK" WITHOUT TURNING IT INTO "JAR COCK".

I kind of died a little seeing that name on the left side of the screen. Like, does he call himself that, or is that a nickname somebody else gave him, or what? There's a lot of hidden backstory here, none of it good news for an anime game with teenage protagonists.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If you're so determined to be literal and accurate, why not just directly transliterate what I'm assuming have to be katakana? Why romanize it weirdly?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

a cartoon duck posted:

I think END ME SCOOP means Rei and Minako, but it's pretty vague, really. Prior to the reveal I think they meant Minako was talking about how they'll totally have time to find boyfriends after they deal with the latest crisis, followed by some new character saying that's never gonna happen because they already got someone in their hearts, then a panel of Usagi and them agreeing. The implication being their duty as Sailor Guardians is more important to them than finding lovers or settling down or whatever.

On the other hand their body language was pretty gay in that scene from what I remember so it could go either way really.

The scene in question has Rei/Minako talking about finding a dude, a character shows up and goes "You don't want a dude, you have someone in your heart", and the two of them go back to back and go "Yeah, you know, you're right and gently caress y'all if you disagree".

Then they die in a few pages.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think most of you are confusing homosocial with homosexual.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, I have to say that doesn't sound very convincing. I'm not buying what you're selling, Scoob.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 22, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
It was 1997. Revolutionary Girl Utena had just barely invented lesbianism. You can only expect so much.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hey c'mon now Cutie Honey had been out for like two decades at that point, that's no excuse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CheeseThief posted:

I'm not sure if I'd say it was the worst, but I will admit it's pretty bizarre.

(So, did he hit the monster of the week with his left hand, or his right?)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Shin no Ishi would just translate to "Stone of Truth" or Truth Stone, possibly imagine a yin-yang symbol as a stone.

ddegenha posted:

I kind of died a little seeing that name on the left side of the screen. Like, does he call himself that, or is that a nickname somebody else gave him, or what? There's a lot of hidden backstory here, none of it good news for an anime game with teenage protagonists.
Whenever I come across something in Japanese I love doing this just to sort of get an idea of what the actual intention could have been.

Oh.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FractalSandwich posted:

Yeah, I have to say that doesn't sound very convincing. I'm not buying what you're selling, Scoob.

Look, I went to go double-check this, and this whole scene reads gay as hell to me.

"We have no need of menfolk".

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Shin no Ishi would just translate to "Stone of Truth" or Truth Stone, possibly imagine a yin-yang symbol as a stone.

Not necessarily, it depends on what kanji is used. The kanji you're imagining, furthermore, is probably 真 which has the Japanese reading makoto. Traditionally speaking, because it's written "Shin no Ishi" the "shin" would need to be the Japanese reading, not the Chinese. Sometimes this gets flubbed, but I don't think that's the case here.

More likely, it was 芯 (or meant to be interpreted as such, if written in hiragana/katakana), which means "heart", "core", "center" (so not necessarily the human heart, but the heart of the matter etc). And if I'm wrong, oh well welcome to Japanese without kanji, it's a nightmare most of the time.

A glance across google doesn't reveal anything in particular about the name of the stone - the story goes from "Chapter 1: Hell Destiny" (which is pretty loving metal) to "Chapter 2: Searching for the Stone" and never really elaborates. I'd need to see the actual screen to MAYBE clarify what the hell is happening with regards to that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Look, I went to go double-check this, and this whole scene reads gay as hell to me.

drat, you're right. That is pretty gay.

Akujiki posted:

Not necessarily, it depends on what kanji is used. The kanji you're imagining, furthermore, is probably 真 which has the Japanese reading makoto. Traditionally speaking, because it's written "Shin no Ishi" the "shin" would need to be the Japanese reading, not the Chinese. Sometimes this gets flubbed, but I don't think that's the case here.

More likely, it was 芯 (or meant to be interpreted as such, if written in hiragana/katakana), which means "heart", "core", "center" (so not necessarily the human heart, but the heart of the matter etc). And if I'm wrong, oh well welcome to Japanese without kanji, it's a nightmare most of the time.
I had the same thought, but it's definitely 真. I wouldn't put it past this translator to have misread it, though.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I had the same thought, but it's definitely 真. I wouldn't put it past this translator to have misread it, though.

I stand corrected! Not unheard of, but definitely weird.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

END ME SCOOB posted:

"You have a problem with that?"

"Nope"

Also, I might be misremembering this, but I'm pretty sure there was a chapter in the manga where Rei gets possessed by a demon and tries to make out with Mina. So this was kind of foreshadowed, in a way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Akujiki posted:

A glance across google doesn't reveal anything in particular about the name of the stone - the story goes from "Chapter 1: Hell Destiny" (which is pretty loving metal) to "Chapter 2: Searching for the Stone" and never really elaborates. I'd need to see the actual screen to MAYBE clarify what the hell is happening with regards to that.

Well, I used the kanji I found on http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Shin_no_Ishi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Eh, they could also be talking about how the are duty bound to Serenity. It feels less overt than something like the Legend of Korra ending, so I could go either way on this.

The Somthing Awful Forums/Games/Let's Play/Sailor Moon:How Yuri Is This Scene?

EDIT: In b4 Gagarin.

• Locked thread