Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mighty No. 9 was right, anime fans will be crying on prom night because Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE will be out and be super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm wanting to buy one of the FE Fates games - which should I buy if I haven't really played FE games before, just FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mr E posted:

I'm wanting to buy one of the FE Fates games - which should I buy if I haven't really played FE games before, just FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre?

Go with Birthright to ease you into the mechanics, get the others if you feel like you want more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Birthright is easier than Conquest and will ease you into the games better, probably. If you like it you can pick up Conquest for more challenge and interesting map design.

Or he'll go for Conquest since I think it's the better of the two. Trial by fire and all that

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah go with Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright first. If you like it then get the in-game DLC for Conquest and Revelation later on.

Also two posters with Okuyasu as their avatar posting back to back...one of you needs to be Keicho instead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Takoluka posted:

Mighty No. 9 is good.

Just like Devil's Third, yep.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mr E posted:

Get Awakening first.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

less laughter posted:

Get Awakening first.

:wtc:

Awakening has terrible map design and there's very little point in getting it now that Fates exists.

It's still not a bad game, but Fates is so much better, and there's no continuity between the two (other than easter egg NPCs).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Awakening has terrible map design and there's no point in getting it now that Fates exists.

Awakening has good characters and a better plot but yeah, this.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lemon-Lime posted:

Awakening has terrible map design and there's very little point in getting it now that Fates exists.

It's still not a bad game, but Fates is so much better, and there's no continuity between the two (other than easter egg NPCs).

So you play Awakening first, so it's not a step backwards like if you would play it after Fates. This isn't rocket science.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My big wish would be a download play option for physical carts.
If I have room on my SD card, let me download the game to play on the go.

There's little reason for me to carry around a cart for Art Academy but I'd love to just have it available.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

less laughter posted:

So you play Awakening first, so it's not a step backwards like if you would play it after Fates. This isn't rocket science.

You could just not play Awakening

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Regy Rusty posted:

You could just not play Awakening

It's still a fun game with good characters and great music, visuals and animated cutscenes, so it's very much worth playing. It's also the second-most critically acclaimed game on the system. Skipping it with the only reason being "it has a sequel" is a very weak justification.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Awakening has good characters and a better plot but yeah, this.

Let's be real, a better plot isn't saying very much

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

less laughter posted:

It's still a fun game with good characters and great music, visuals and animated cutscenes, so it's very much worth playing. It's also the second-most critically acclaimed game on the system. Skipping it with the only reason being "it has a sequel" is a very weak justification.

Not really if that sequel improves on its predecessor in almost every way and specifically addresses the two biggest problems (map design and pair up)

I enjoyed awakening and I'm really glad it exists but it's pretty much the only FE I have no interest in replaying

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Is there any kind of announced schedule for which SNES games are coming to the N3DS? Or is it just wait and see each week?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Looper posted:

Not really if that sequel improves on its predecessor in almost every way and specifically addresses the two biggest problems (map design and pair up)

I enjoyed awakening and I'm really glad it exists but it's pretty much the only FE I have no interest in replaying

We weren't talking about replaying, he would be playing it for the first time. To never play it at all would be missing out, which you should agree with seeing how you enjoyed it and are glad it exists.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awakening is my least favorite FE and the only one I never finished

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

In Training posted:

Awakening is my least favorite FE and the only one I never finished

Awakening is the only FE I ever played, and yeah I didn't finish it... maybe I should give the series another shot. At the time when I played it, people seemed positive about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It definitely seemed to be the breakout hit of the series, but I liked other games in the series quite a bit more. It's still fun enough but like someone earlier just said, I will never return to it whereas I've already beaten Conquest/Birthright and I'm working on Revelations as well

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I would just hate for someone to try Awakening as their first Fire Emblem and decide they didn't like it when a way better introduction to the series is right there

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Alternatively grab FE7 on WiiU Virtual Console. Though I guess the non-portability would be a problem with that, wouldn't it? Hm.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Awakening is the only FE I played and I really liked it. Which one would you guys recommend next? I don't mind playing older ones with fan translations if they're good. I have Fates but I'd like to first play the ones that have Marth, Roy and Ike if they're good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I keep seeing streams of mighty No 9 with people compatibility about the levels when they obviously just suck and I can see everything they're doing wrong and it makes me want to play it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Awakening is the only FE I played and I really liked it. Which one would you guys recommend next? I don't mind playing older ones with fan translations if they're good. I have Fates but I'd like to first play the ones that have Marth, Roy and Ike if they're good.

Play Fire Emblem 7 available on Wii U VC. It does not have Marth, Roy, or Ike in it but it's great, and has Roy's father in it. Fire Emblem 8 - Sacred Stones is also available on Wii U VC and is also good. It doesn't have any connection to the other games.

The ones with Marth in it are old NES ones and their DS remakes Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem. Shadow Dragon is bad. New Mystery of the Emblem is good but only available as a fan translation.

Fire Emblem 6 is the one with Roy in it. It was not released in english so is also only available as a fan translation. It's alright but I wouldn't recommend it without some more experience.

The ones with Ike in it are Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn for the Gamecube and Wii respectively. These may be hard to get cheaply as they don't have digital releases.

For now though since you have Fates, just play that.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Sacred Stones is a good one to start with. It has nothing to do with the other games, but it a little easier then the regular games and has a option to level up your characters outside of missions against monsters.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Roy's game and 2/4 of Marth's games are kinda eh imo, and Ike's games are expensive as gently caress. Echoing the sentiments to try FE7, though be warned it starts witha pretty lengthy tutorial due to being the first English released FE game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

There are three loving new FEs, don't play the old garbage. I think (!) conquest has less anime waifu poo poo and more actual strategy game but that's only what I gathered from reviews and probably wrong. That's the one I'm getting when I ever have the time to dive into it anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The GBA games and the GC game are cool. I wanna play the Wii one someday but it's too expensive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

There are three loving new FEs, don't play the old garbage. I think (!) conquest has less anime waifu poo poo and more actual strategy game but that's only what I gathered from reviews and probably wrong. That's the one I'm getting when I ever have the time to dive into it anyway

They all have marriage because it's a core mechanic f Fates.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Conquest doesn't have less of that.

The only difference is that you can't grind in conquest and its maps are harder.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Ah well. I don't mind it, but it's not what I buy the games for. The reviews made it seem like conquest is more old school in all aspects, including the sideshow

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

spend 200 dollars on a copy of Path of Radiance and never look back

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Inzombiac posted:

My big wish would be a download play option for physical carts.
If I have room on my SD card, let me download the game to play on the go.

There's little reason for me to carry around a cart for Art Academy but I'd love to just have it available.

This would be amazing. I've already purchased the game, what would the issue be?

Spigs posted:

Is there any kind of announced schedule for which SNES games are coming to the N3DS? Or is it just wait and see each week?

Also, this is a great question if anyone happens to have any info. I just need to know if I'll ever see SFII again. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Worst Bear posted:

This would be amazing. I've already purchased the game, what would the issue be?

You could resell the cartridge while keeping the digital version, and Nintendo's only answer would have to be a per-copy unique key system that lets Nintendo remotely deactivate your digital copies when someone else activates the physical copy on their account, which a) would cost a ton of money to implement and b) would obviously be terrible for consumers.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Ah well. I don't mind it, but it's not what I buy the games for. The reviews made it seem like conquest is more old school in all aspects, including the sideshow

People in general dramatically overhype that element f the games considering 95% of the time you play an FE you're comparing different colored squares on a map

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Spigs posted:

The Worst Bear posted:

Also, this is a great question if anyone happens to have any info. I just need to know if I'll ever see SFII again. :(

Unfortunately no, at most people find out what VC games are coming the same week they come out.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The entire Miiverse page for the game is wonderful. If only the Miiverse community hated Mario Tennis Ultra Smash just as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Lemon-Lime posted:

You could resell the cartridge while keeping the digital version, and Nintendo's only answer would have to be a per-copy unique key system that lets Nintendo remotely deactivate your digital copies when someone else activates the physical copy on their account, which a) would cost a ton of money to implement and b) would obviously be terrible for consumers.

Aha... Yeah, I suppose so. Missing the obvious as usual. :v: I was thinking mostly of how much I love those bluray/digital packs they sell these days and how handy they are. I've never even considered selling the discs after redeeming the code, but I guess that's a whole other animal either way.