Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or is it a super good idea because he'd reawaken his powers better than ever at just the perfect time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Killua's currently on the run with Alluka and Gon's back to first level doing two years' worth of homework. I doubt either of them will get on the ship, though should the refueling station turn out to be Whale Island I guess we might see Gon.

I also doubt Killua would willingly subject Alluka to that kind of danger.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Everything so far in this arc indicates that Killua an Gon are not involved in anything related to the Dark Continent, Gon even stated that when he was with Ging he didn't feel the desire to travel with him. Granted he says he couldn't see how strong Ging was due to his lack of Nen and that might have changed his mind. It's weird that they won't be in the arc but as of yet I can't see how they show up.

e: Unless Killua somehow decides the Dark Continent is beyond his family's reach but that is slim

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't killa just make alluka vanish all the danger though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Or is it a super good idea because he'd reawaken his powers better than ever at just the perfect time?

Uh, no? This isn't Fairy Tail.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jose posted:

can't killa just make alluka vanish all the danger though
Not without 1.) severe repercusions and 2.) derailing his character arc he can't.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Uh, no? This isn't Fairy Tail.

I decided to rewatch Naruto recently because I stopped following it in my late teens and assumed I was simply to mature for it. I found it was actually pretty decent and some of the fight animation and direction is way better than expected, hopefully that will carry on into Shippuden. However the weirdest thing for me (and this is true of almost every shounen now) is how vague abilities are compared to Hunter X Hunter. Togashi is just so far above everyone else in how his fights and ability system works.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I honestly hope Gon doesn't show up for the entirety of the arc. Killua and Alluka I could accept but definitely not in more than a minor or lategame plot device role.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Togashi and Araki stand atop the fighting shounen world.

Nobody else can touch them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I decided to rewatch Naruto recently because I stopped following it in my late teens and assumed I was simply to mature for it. I found it was actually pretty decent and some of the fight animation and direction is way better than expected, hopefully that will carry on into Shippuden. However the weirdest thing for me (and this is true of almost every shounen now) is how vague abilities are compared to Hunter X Hunter. Togashi is just so far above everyone else in how his fights and ability system works.

Have fun with the 100 consecutive filler episodes, I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Not without 1.) severe repercusions and 2.) derailing his character arc he can't.

its been a while since i read it but i thought the whole point was he could use her power without repercussions

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh I am totally ignoring filler.

Bad Seafood posted:

Araki is JJBA right? The two Naruto moments I have to give credit to as being as good as anything in HxH were both in the Final Valley fight. Watching Sasuke get punched so hard into the water he left a tunnel behind as well as whipped around by a chain of 50 clones ruled extremely hard.

I'll probably reread the Hisoka/Chrollo fight soon. I assume Chrollo only kept his face in those panels so the reader would recognise him but in reality he had taken on someone else's appearance?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

its been a while since i read it but i thought the whole point was he could use her power without repercussions

Yes, but he could do that because she liked him and he didn't abuse her powers, like, well, everyone else. Aggressively abusing Nanika's abilities might change that. Also it wouldn't help in the case of ambushes or whatever because Nanika makes the three requests and all; he'd still have to go through that, and in an emergency that likely wouldn't work out.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Why do they hold the succession battle royale on the ship again?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jose posted:

The twist to Alluka's wish granting ability is that selfless wishes cost nothing, or next to nothing, or at the very least if they do end up costing something that something isn't the usual terrible price. Killua gets "Free" wishes because he understands that, and makes his wishes accordingly.

Additionally, the conclusion to Killua's character arc during the chairman election was his realization that Nanika was also a part of Alluka, and that he was wrong to see it as a "Curse" or a "Thing" separate from his sibling. Now knowing this, I don't think he'd be too keen on abusing Alluka as a magical "Get out of jail free" card dispenser.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

Why do they hold the succession battle royale on the ship again?

Kodoku. That's what the "worm toxin" thing was based on to begin with.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am assuming Gyo is needed to see the Nen Beast.

As for which Prince is going down first I am putting my bets on this dude.

8th Prince Sale-sale. I don't have much hope for him.

He's going to win.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Edit: ignore this

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 23, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Edit: never leave a computer unattended near family

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 23, 2016

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They're the two lead protagonists of the manga, which is a pretty good reason for them to be in any given arc.

Still, the two lead protagonists haven't appeared (or even being mentioned) for the last 19 chapters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Togashi's secret is that Hunter x Hunter is barely a "shounen battle" manga. Count the chapters with battles and count the chapter without battles. I think the ratio is around 1:4 in favor of the latter ones. A good 80% is a thinking manga with mystery, suspense, adventure, drama, etc.
Compare with Bleach or Naruto or One Piece, they fall back to their default stance: fight after fight, so much.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah agreed, I think Togashi could write something like Liar Game if he wasn't interested in exciting adventures and a big bright world.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

The twist to Alluka's wish granting ability is that selfless wishes cost nothing, or next to nothing, or at the very least if they do end up costing something that something isn't the usual terrible price. Killua gets "Free" wishes because he understands that, and makes his wishes accordingly.

Additionally, the conclusion to Killua's character arc during the chairman election was his realization that Nanika was also a part of Alluka, and that he was wrong to see it as a "Curse" or a "Thing" separate from his sibling. Now knowing this, I don't think he'd be too keen on abusing Alluka as a magical "Get out of jail free" card dispenser.

for some reason i thought it was that he gave orders rather than asked for wishes which is why he could do it whenever

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think Benjamin is going down first, by virtue of the fact that we've seen quite a lot of him and his men over the past few chapters, and he is being made out to be the biggest threat - hence, when he gets killed, it will make all the other wimpier princes look like serious contenders.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Araki is JJBA right? The two Naruto moments I have to give credit to as being as good as anything in HxH were both in the Final Valley fight. Watching Sasuke get punched so hard into the water he left a tunnel behind as well as whipped around by a chain of 50 clones ruled extremely hard.

It's franime, but Wakfu has some extremely well-done fights.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

for some reason i thought it was that he gave orders rather than asked for wishes which is why he could do it whenever

That is what he is doing. Healing doesn't cost anything but Nanashi's stamina which is a problem for large jobs. But Killua can also order Nanashi to do things like teleporting Illumi back to the manor.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i thought that "selfless wishes are free" was just killua's cover story for the fact that he's able to ask for anything he wants

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've had it with all your wishful optimists. Let me lay it out really simple for you:

He's Gon and he's never coming back.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

jon joe posted:

I've had it with all your wishful optimists. Let me lay it out really simple for you:

He's Gon and he's never coming back.

Alluka, can you make this post disappear?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Law Cheetah posted:

i thought that "selfless wishes are free" was just killua's cover story for the fact that he's able to ask for anything he wants

I think it's much more simple, Alluka-Ai actually likes Killua, that's why her wishes are "free" for him. It could be selfish and the same would happen. Hell, maybe she could give free wishes to more people, if she would have been alienated by the whole family.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Taking a powerless child to the dark continent seems like a really bad idea.

TBF there's been at least one year long timeskip so Gon probably has his nen back again

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

TBF there's been at least one year long timeskip so Gon probably has his nen back again

I don't think it's been that long and how would that get Gon is Nen back when he lost it due to a condition and it was pretty clear that he was not going to try to get it back. (And that trying to get it back was a bad idea.)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Getting his nen back would be a huge cop out but I assume he'll be getting his abilities at some point.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I would have said both Hisoka and Chrollo surviving past the fight in heaven's tower would be a cop out, but look what we got. I'm confident in Togashi's ability to write Gon back in if he wants to, though I don't see him in this arc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I would have said both Hisoka and Chrollo surviving past the fight in heaven's tower would be a cop out, but look what we got. I'm confident in Togashi's ability to write Gon back in if he wants to, though I don't see him in this arc.

To be honest Alluka already felt like a cop out. I assume she has more importance later because otherwise it would have made more sense for Gon's sacrifice to use up all his nen and then send him comatose for a while instead of taking most of his lifeforce too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gon instead trains with killua's family, who teach him all the non-nen assassin poo poo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Gon instead trains with killua's family, who teach him all the non-nen assassin poo poo.

Are you teaching me assassination techniques? :saddowns:

No.. they're playing tag techniques.

Okay! :downs:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

that is completely wrong. no one cares if hunters have a particular specialty. temp hunters are people pariston hired, bypassing the exam.

Are they? I'm not doubting you or anything but you wouldn't know what chapter that's explained do you? The story has a tendency to refer to Hunter types and nen users as Hunters regardless of having an actual licence, usually favouring Pro Hunter for the actual association dudes, it can be a little unclear sometimes, I thought temp Hunters were still licensed pros.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Keep in mind that there are two way to awaken your men, the forceful one and the natural one. Since Gon's Nen was forcefully awakened by Wing, I am pretty sure that he can ( and will ) regain it via the natural way, which I think is mostly meditation and training. That is, if the manga runs past the current arc, since I am pretty sure we won't we him or Killua this arc. This is the Kurapika and Leorio show, and you lot is going to like it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gon wasn't actually using his real nen, he was using wing's nen that had been given to him, so really his real nen just needs to be truly brought out, possibly by being stabbed by a nen sword or having a near death experience where he half turns into an ant because he was half bug all along.