Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Convexed posted:

Definitely noticed everybody looking a bit numb on the way to work this morning. My borough, Lambeth, had 79% Remain vote. I am aware that I live in a bubble and yet I'm still a bit shocked. :(

What up, we threw away our votes in the same constituency!

edit: Today in 1982 British Airways flight 9 flew into an easily-avoided cloud of volcanic ash, almost crashing and killing everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I woke up

Looked up the result

Said the thread title.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Miftan posted:

There's not enough people in the PLP that don't hate him.

I can easily find a dozen pinko extremists in the democratic party; UK Labour in my mind is their hilarious trot stereotype

did Blair really gently caress it all up that much?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Post from my brother: It's weird in London, everyone looks like they're going through the worst identity crisis of their lives

so a normal day in London then

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I woke up

Looked up the result

Said the thread title.

Rigged Death Trap looks forlornly into smart phone while still laying in bed

A gasp and a shocked silence

"UKMT June 2016: ohmygodno"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Aliquid posted:

I can easily find a dozen pinko extremists in the democratic party; UK Labour in my mind is their hilarious trot stereotype

Apparently. I've not been following long enough to comment on exactly how and why but I'm sure someone else here will know

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Aliquid posted:

Yes

Mendoza
Jul 31, 2006
Him
Is it not possible that after negotiating our way out of the EU, the outcome is so obviously unfavourable towards the UK that the government could hold another referendum or just say 'nope'.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it was the Astors who wanted to buy it and ship it to New England?

This is going by Bill Bryson from At Home, which doesn't have footnotes, but:

Bill Bryson, At Home pg 522 posted:

Around the turn of the century it was reported that an anonymous buyer was interested in shipping the stones to America to reerect as a tourist attraction somewhere out west.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

I can feel the Brexistential dread setting in already.

What the gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mendoza posted:

Is it not possible that after negotiating our way out of the EU, the outcome is so obviously unfavourable towards the UK that the government could hold another referendum or just say 'nope'.

No because the people on the side of Brexit would never want to be seen to do anything other than double-down

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
The problem with democracy in the 21st century is this:

Economy not doing so well,incumbent party gets blamed, people express their anger at the incumbents at the poll no matter what the issue is, as long as they are expressing something, party with even more terrible policies promising simple solutions get elected, go back to step one.

You see this in Brazil, the US, etc.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

My newsfeed is weird, I know two brits one holds a doctorate in economics and he's celebrating the other is a lecturer on political science and he's commisterating his nations stupidity. I'm very conflicted here. Enjoying the show though.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Mendoza posted:

possible but unlikely since it'd be suicide in the next election and probably the few after that

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Mendoza posted:

nope

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xtronoc posted:

Economy not doing so well,incumbent party gets blamed, people express their anger at the incumbents at the poll no matter what the issue is, as long as they are expressing something, party with even more terrible policies get elected, go back to step one.

In the US at least the process seems to be slowing down a bit thanks to our killing off all the white people

Now I'm not suggesting anything, just throwing that out there yaknow

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Now if England won the football it would really heap the misery on Europe.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

No because the people on the side of Brexit would never want to be seen to do anything other than double-down

If Article 50 takes two years most of those 93 year old grandmothers will have died off though!

minema
May 31, 2011

Berious posted:

I'd love to hear from that NHS poster and see what his colleagues think about Leave already going back on the 350mil for are NHS pledge

They are all ignoring it and trying to justify their decisions.

Half of them are being very quiet and saying things like "well either way there would have been bad things" and "the pound has crashed before, hopefully it will recover" while looking a bit worried.

The other half came into work this morning cheering Out Out Out and talking about Great Britain and taking control. Also heard at least 3 of them admit they didn't really know much about the potential consequences but still voted Leave.

I had to walk away from people multiple times I was getting so angry. Very glad I'm on night shifts where people don't really talk about politics.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BlindSite posted:

My newsfeed is weird, I know two brits one holds a doctorate in economics and he's celebrating the other is a lecturer on political science and he's commisterating his nations stupidity. I'm very conflicted here. Enjoying the show though.
Lots of people with doctorates are stupid as hell. This is doubly true for doctorates in economics.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Alright I think I'm done here. Chin up everyone, we're all in this together (unless you're in the half of the UK that wants none of it), it'll all work out in the end.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aliquid posted:

Yes. Absolutely, completely, and utterly, yes.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

lfield posted:

possible but unlikely since it'd be suicide in the next election and probably the few after that

IMO Brexit is going to get really unpopular when the recession bites. Bet you won't find one fucker who'll admit they voted leave. A party running on staying in could win big!

I still haven't learned that hope is stupid you see.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well, that's that then. I won't say it was a nice country while it lasted, but it had its good points. If Cameron had a shred of decency in him he'd slit his wrists at this point, but then if he had a shred of decency in him we wouldn't be here in the first place.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Berious posted:

IMO Brexit is going to get really unpopular when the recession bites. Bet you won't find one fucker who'll admit they voted leave. A party running on staying in could win big!

I still haven't learned that hope is stupid you see.

Hope is a mistake

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Lots of people with doctorates are stupid as hell. This is doubly true for doctorates in economics.

Most people with doctorates in a field they're talking about know their poo poo. I wouldn't take his advice on motor vehicle maintenance the same way I don't listen to my mechanics investment advice.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm about to fall into a whisky coma but the important question is how does this affect the chances of football coming home?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, has responded to the result:

quote:

"I believe that Britain is better off within the European Union, but the British people have clearly spoken today, and their democratic will must now be fulfilled.

"I would like to praise David Cameron for the dignified way he has reacted to the message sent by the British people in his words at Downing Street today. I agree with the Prime Minister that Britain can survive and prosper outside the European Union.

"I want to send a clear message to the British people and to businesses and investors around the world this morning - there is no need to panic.

"I still believe that our country is better off within the European Union, but there is no doubt that London will continue to be the successful city it is today. Our city and our country will continue to be the best place in the world to do business. And we will continue to look outwards and trade and engage with the entire world - including the European Union.

"Although we will be outside the EU, it is crucial that we remain part of the single market. Leaving the single market of 500 million people - with its free-trade benefits - would be a mistake. I will be pushing the Government to ensure this is the cornerstone of the negotiations with the EU. It is crucial that London has a voice at the table during those renegotiations, alongside Scotland and Northern Ireland.

"We all have a responsibility to now seek to heal the divisions that have emerged throughout this campaign - and to focus on that which unites us, rather than that which divides us."

"I want to send a particular message to the almost one million Europeans living in London, who make a huge contribution to our city - working hard, paying taxes and contributing to our civic and cultural life. You are welcome here. We value the enormous contribution you make to our city and that will not change as a result of this referendum."

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-of-london-response-to-eu-referendum-result

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Is there any chance that in the next two years we see how terribly everything is going and decide to pull out of this terrible, terrible decision?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Miftan posted:

Hope is a mistake

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Bring on Scots Indy Ref 2. What was that about voting to remain in the UK as the only way to not get punted from the EU, hmmm?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

Is there any chance that in the next two years we see how terribly everything is going and decide to pull out of this terrible, terrible decision?

No

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
So Dave didn't Bud Dwyer himself then?

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
This.

https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/746270320714219520

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well then, looks like I might be leaving the country where I've spent the last third of my life.

Not because of legal reasons (yet, potentially), but because things have been getting increasingly hostile in the run up to the referendum. Aside from a few racist rants (old pizza delivery guy who told me to "go back home" was the best IMO), no company seems to want to hire me because of "systemic risk, maybe after the referendum". Given the way it went there's probably no way I can afford to stay.

Shame about having to leave all my friends and my girlfriend (who's already said she'll break up with me). You're all a bunch of cunts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

More likely scenario is 90% of peoples day to day lives don't change all that much and the handwringing of today is forgotten like 99% of elections everywhere in the world where people threaten to leave american/britain/canada/australia/wherever if X wins/passes.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Xtronoc posted:

Economy not doing so well,incumbent party gets blamed, people express their anger at the incumbents at the poll no matter what the issue is, as long as they are expressing something, party with even more terrible policies promising simple solutions get elected, go back to step one.

No the problem with 21st century democracy is neoliberalism and FYGM.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Anyone else supporting Iceland on Monday?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Private Speech posted:

Well then, looks like I might be leaving the country where I've spent the last third of my life.

Not because of legal reasons (yet, potentially), but because things have been getting increasingly hostile in the run up to the referendum. Aside from a few racist rants (old pizza delivery guy who told me to "go back home" was the best IMO), no company seems to want to hire me because of "systemic risk, maybe after the referendum". Given the way it went there's probably no way I can afford to stay.

Shame about having to leave all my friends and my girlfriend (who's already said she'll break up with me). You're all a bunch of cunts.

If you're girlfriend is breaking up with you because of the referendum I don't think it's any of us that are a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Private Speech posted:

If she's dropping you because of an election result you're probably dodging a bullet.

• Locked thread