Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Lots of people with doctorates are stupid as hell.

Have doctorate, can confirm.

Funded by the EU btw.

I'm just shocked really, I should have taken a day of work, because I'm not getting much done. I don't think I've ever seen such an example of the younger generation getting screwed so badly by the older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Private Speech posted:

Well then, looks like I might be leaving the country where I've spent the last third of my life.

Not because of legal reasons (yet, potentially), but because things have been getting increasingly hostile in the run up to the referendum. Aside from a few racist rants (old pizza delivery guy who told me to "go back home" was the best IMO), no company seems to want to hire me because of "systemic risk, maybe after the referendum". Given the way it went there's probably no way I can afford to stay.

Shame about having to leave all my friends and my girlfriend (who's already said she'll break up with me). You're all a bunch of cunts.

sorry

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

pumpinglemma posted:

Well, that's that then. I won't say it was a nice country while it lasted, but it had its good points. If Cameron had a shred of decency in him he'd slit his wrists at this point, but then if he had a shred of decency in him we wouldn't be here in the first place.

If lizards can regrow their tails I'm not sure slitting wrists is enough to finally kill him.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Well then, looks like I might be leaving the country where I've spent the last third of my life.

Not because of legal reasons (yet, potentially), but because things have been getting increasingly hostile in the run up to the referendum. Aside from a few racist rants (old pizza delivery guy who told me to "go back home" was the best IMO), no company seems to want to hire me because of "systemic risk, maybe after the referendum". Given the way it went there's probably no way I can afford to stay.

Shame about having to leave all my friends and my girlfriend (who's already said she'll break up with me). You're all a bunch of cunts.

BlindSite posted:

More likely scenario is 90% of peoples day to day lives don't change all that much and the handwringing of today is forgotten like 99% of elections everywhere in the world where people threaten to leave american/britain/canada/australia/wherever if X wins/passes.

Junior G-man posted:

No the problem with 21st century democracy is neoliberalism and FYGM.

This is a very illuminating sequence.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BlindSite posted:

If she's dropping you because of an election result you're probably dodging a bullet.

Still though, solidarity, mate :smith:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

No the problem with 21st century democracy is neoliberalism and FYGM.

I'd say its flat lies from both sides and demonisation of someone's opposition but its as much as much really.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BlindSite posted:

If she's dropping you because of an election result you're probably dodging a bullet.

More if I move away from Britain, and it's fairly complicated so I wouldn't say that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So after Article 50 is set in motion and we go through the two year negotiation and finally leave the EU are we likely to stay in the EEA?

Private Speech posted:

loving hell, sorry about that mate, sounds really lovely.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 24, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Calico Heart posted:

Is there any chance that in the next two years we see how terribly everything is going and decide to pull out of this terrible, terrible decision?

lol

at least most of the people who are going to get hosed voted leave, shame for the people who didn't (like me and everyone I know) but I'm sort of fed up feeling sorry for the British public voting to gently caress themselves, gj you got what you wanted and I hope it makes you miserable

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

Lots of people with doctorates are stupid as hell. This is doubly true for doctorates in economics.

How annoyed are you that you're having to side with a Dr in Political Science while mocking "soft" doctorates?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Private Speech posted:

You're all a bunch of cunts.

Pr much.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

NewMars posted:

This is a very illuminating sequence.

The top situation I obviously (as I'm not a total oval office) I feel extremely bad for.

That being said, I've heard in so many places if X passes/wins I'm leaving... only for nothing to really change in their day to day the sentiment has lost all meaning. it's wolf ticket bullshit.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Please hold me, UKMT. :( I feel pretty numb today.

[quote="Vlex" post=""46139"]
edit: Today in 1982 British Airways flight 9 flew into an easily-avoided cloud of volcanic ash, almost crashing and killing everyone.
[/quote]

How was it easily avoided? It didn't show up on weather radar.

I will always love the pilot quote:

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Ultragonk posted:

So after Article 50 is set in motion and we go through the two year negotiation and finally leave the EU are we likely to stay in the EEA?

Nope Germany and France were clear on that being tantamount to full EU membership

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ultragonk posted:

the answer to this, as with every "so what now, then?" question is as follows: "iunno, we'll work something out :downs:"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

My girlfriend will now be part of the massive and stupidly complicated resettlement for UK nationals living abroad.

This whole thing is so loving stupid.

Fortunately I'm planning on marrying her anyway :love:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

BlindSite posted:

More likely scenario is 90% of peoples day to day lives don't change all that much and the handwringing of today is forgotten like 99% of elections everywhere in the world where people threaten to leave american/britain/canada/australia/wherever if X wins/passes.

Well I've started the process of reactivating my Norwegian citizenship, so y'all can get hosed.

edit: VVVVVVVVVV yeah, i'm in academia too and I want access to Marie Curie and ERC grants. UK passport might not let me any more, but Norwegian citizens do have access.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 24, 2016

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Personally speaking, I was considering either doing a post-doc or applying for professorship in the UK as options for the next step in my career. These are now pretty unlikely (not least of all because I doubt the pan-European grants and fellowships supporting those will be available in the UK for very much longer.)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Junior G-man posted:

My girlfriend will now be part of the massive and stupidly complicated resettlement for UK nationals living abroad.

This whole thing is so loving stupid.

Fortunately I'm planning on marrying her anyway :love:

Hopefully she'll clean up nicely.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nobody is doing any work today because everyone's pretty depressed about the whole thing. Apart from one guy who also said he thinks Trump would make a great president, so everyone's kind of quietly mocking him.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I also probably qualify for Irish citizenship, so I guess it's time to look into that.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Miftan posted:

Hopefully she'll clean up nicely.

Well I already notified her that the balance of power in the relationship had shifted this morning.\

Quote-Unquote posted:

Nobody is doing any work today because everyone's pretty depressed about the whole thing. Apart from one guy who also said he thinks Trump would make a great president, so everyone's kind of quietly mocking him.

Why don't you take that empty time and beat that guy to death with your office chairs and hang his battered corpse from your window.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Vlex posted:

Well I've started the process of reactivating my Norwegian citizenship, so y'all can get hosed.

Cool, I'm planning to buy some pounds sterling when it bottoms so I can make some sweet cash on the rebound.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z Ctrl-Z

drat, didn't work

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Mendoza posted:

Is it not possible that after negotiating our way out of the EU, the outcome is so obviously unfavourable towards the UK that the government could hold another referendum or just say 'nope'.

Going back a way, but the negotiations won't start until Article 50 is invoked, and once that's done, I think it takes all 28 members to stop it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Xtronoc posted:

The problem with democracy in the 21st century is this:

Economy not doing so well,incumbent party gets blamed, people express their anger at the incumbents at the poll no matter what the issue is, as long as they are expressing something, party with even more terrible policies promising simple solutions get elected, go back to step one.

You see this in Brazil, the US, etc.

But our economy was doing well! We haven't been in recession since Northern Rock collapsed. The issue is that there are literally two seperate countries in the United Kingdom. London and Scotland who are educated, diverse and have reaped consistent economic benefits over the past few years because they base themselves in financial services and the rest of the country which is poorly educated, homogenous and has been completely screwed for the past few years because their economy is based on manufacturing.

It's just loving impossible at this point to reconcile these two countries right now because they have such radically different economic, political and social needs and because any dialogue has been completely poisoned by the fact that one side views the other as ignorant buffoons who should defer to their betters and the other views facts and statistics presented to them as lies conjured by the elite who don't understand what it is to be them.

The only solace you have after this referendum is that young people at least appear to be militantly liberal, in favour of the EU and seem to consistently vote along those lines in a manner that's slowly filtering up. At some point there will be a shift and it's likely to happen in the next ten years with this vote being the likely rallying point.

TLDR: If getting back into the EU requires all the old people dying it's a good thing our NHS is completely hosed.

Edit: Also it's going to be fascinating to see how quickly the city relocates to Edinburgh assuming Soctland goes independent in the the next two years.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Prince John posted:

How was it easily avoided? It didn't show up on weather radar.

yeah, this is pretty much the crux of it, and the episode of Air Crash Investigation about it is a fascinating watch

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

My girlfriend has her heart set on studying in Europe (Finland). Would this change anything?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I want the source article of these

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Dictatorship of the Thick

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
"Brits don't quit" - D Cameron June 22nd 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

If nothing else it would add to the insanity and make for some entertainment while the world dies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am hoping that I can uncover my Irish grandfather's birth certificate and keep my EU citizenship.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm just shocked really, I should have taken a day of work, because I'm not getting much done. I don't think I've ever seen such an example of the younger generation getting screwed so badly by the older.

All the "old people shouldn't get to vote, it's not their future!" 'jokes' irritate the hell out of me but yeah this is pretty appalling.

The sheer scale of the demographic difference in voting and how long the negative repercussions are going last, it's like the perfect opposite of the post-war consensus they inherited.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hope you guys didn't enjoy the little things too much like "eating food" because the 27bn the EU gives our farmers is going away

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Convexed posted:

My girlfriend has her heart set on studying in Europe (Finland). Would this change anything?

Depends on when, but I don't think the UK will be immediately out of the Erasmus programme until the article 50 negotiations are finalised, so she's got at least one or two years to get there.

I'd hurry up though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Thanks Ants posted:

I am hoping that I can uncover my Irish grandfather's birth certificate and keep my EU citizenship.

If you know where he was born/married some places keep those certificates so good luck

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Convexed posted:

They're likely going to need a passport and also will have a whole bunch of programs devoted to allowing this shut down permanently on them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

TLDR: If getting back into the EU requires all the old people dying it's a good thing our NHS is completely hosed.

This depends on:

1) The EU surviving that long

2) The EU actually wanting the UK back in after leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I'm spending 4 years studying for a degree that I require in order to get a work visa in the country I plan to spend a lot of my life working it.

It's just outrageous i don't have the right to be here otherwise.

• Locked thread