Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Brian Gerwitz on a recent Talk is Jericho talks extensively about his experience as a defendant in Wrestler's Court; it's worth a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HerraS posted:

JBL loved Eddie Guerrero more than any other human being on the planet and has never had problems with lucha dudes and other mexicans, you're getting worked

He has problems with universally beloved child of God Mil Mascaras. loving racist.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I like that not only did JBL lose quickly, but also that his hair stayed immaculate during the match too.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Why isn't there a WCPW thread?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Because you haven't made one.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MassRafTer posted:

He has problems with universally beloved child of God Mil Mascaras. loving racist.

I thought everybody had problems with Mil Mascaras

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Benne posted:

I'll admit I might be getting worked here. Still seems a bit weird to me that JBL, who by all accounts had a huge locker room presence and therefore must've had some say in his booking, would let his retirement match be a comedy squash at a Mania.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, and I never doubted JBL's love of lucha dudes, but wouldn't Rey get more out of the rub with a decent 10-minute match and win, rather than immediately hitting his finisher and JBL going "I QUIT!?" That's the part that makes me think JBL's body was too broken down and they had to get the IC belt off him, so this is what they came up with.

JBL himself said that it was how he wanted to go out. 46 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqX-TZpG-xk

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Regrettable posted:

JBL himself said that it was how he wanted to go out. 46 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqX-TZpG-xk

This answered a lot of my questions, thanks!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alakaiser posted:

I wonder if they're telling talent in advance who's going where. I could kind of see them pulling a JR-to-Smackdown on New Day and splitting them up. It's an awful idea (especially given Kofi's feelings on the whole thing) but it's exactly the kind of thing I can see someone trying to make happen.

I wouldn't be shocked if they put Kofi and Xavier on one show and gave Big E a singles push on the other. I also wouldn't be surprised if both Kofi and Xavier walked.

Or add a 4th member and split them up so there's a New Day tag team on both shows and they talk to each other through video promos on the Titantron about how much they miss each other.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

sticklefifer posted:

Or add a 4th member and split them up so there's a New Day tag team on both shows and they talk to each other through video promos on the Titantron about how much they miss each other.

Is this what making Darren young great again is leading to

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It's funny how JBL's match was seen as appropriately hilarious comeuppance while Daniel Bryan's 18 seconds was seen as a burial.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

if a wrestler I like loses if is a burial ok?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It's funny how JBL's match was seen as appropriately hilarious comeuppance while Daniel Bryan's 18 seconds was seen as a burial.

Haha yeah a guy asking to retire by being squashed and a guy booked to be squashed to kill his heat are totally the same

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NameHurtBrain posted:

It was an extension of a storyline. Not exactly a huge one, but it was built up to.

JBL had the "HBK is my employee" angle going, and was trying to set up something 'major' for himself for WM25. He tried to use HBK to make it so he would be World Heavyweight Champion going into Wrestlemania in Texas. That didn't work, so he had HBK try to win him the Rumble. That didn't work either.

He wanted to be the one to face the Undertaker at WM25. HBK broke away and took that match away from him too. He finally won the IC title on a random RAW, and said he was going to be the one to successfully defend it for the first time in years at Mania.

Him getting punked is just the culmination of JBL eating poo poo for months on end. After all that, he quits because he's a blowhard who failed, so he takes his ball and goes home. Classic Heeling, but he was at it for awhile.

Just a minor correction, neither was in the Rumble. JBL was going up against Cena at the show and made sure Michaels wasn't in the Rumble match itself so he could be focused in his corner. It was a great dick move.

I was a huge fan of that whole angle. I especially liked how it was bookended well. It all started because of a segment where Charlie Haas -- who was doing impressions at the time -- showed up dressed as JBL to make fun of him to his face. Instead of angrily clotheslining him into oblivion, JBL just went in a weird daze and left the ring, as if saying, "I used to be a champion and now I'm a joke. What the hell happened?"

Then after months of using everything he had to be relevant when he needed it the most, he lost to Rey in seconds on the biggest stage and ended up standing there in the exact same daze.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Larry Sweeney
Ted Dibiase
Nick Bockwinkle
HBK
Hulk Hogan
Vince McMahon
Terry Funk
Jim Cornette
Paul Heyman
Chris Jericho
Dusty Rhodes
The Rock
Bobby Herman
Randy Savage
CM Punk
Jake Roberts
Roddy Piper
Mick Foley
Ric Flair
Steve Austin
Who's Bobby Herman?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Cena has done twice as many great promos as Pilman ffs
Pillman was one of the greatest carnies; he worked management until they worked themselves into a shoot.

Platypus Farm posted:

Also, macho man? I mean I love macho, but his promos were just as nonsensical and over-intense as warriors. Hell, I don't even know which one was less intelligible. Also DiBiase should be way closer to the top.
Warrior could start off on the right track, but his promos would always eventually collapse into a bunch of nonsense about wizards and spaceships and lawnmowers if you let him go on. Even when Macho was rambling and crazy, he was saying stuff to sell a match.

MassRafTer posted:

He didn't spill some crumbs, he covered the thing in chicken juice and hosed up the gear inside. It was a really stupid, disrespectful thing to do.
When Miz acknowledged the incident in a promo, didn't he say it was a referee's bag?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

i agree but a lot less people are currently familiar with bockwinkel's work than most of the others on that list
I lot of people are loving humanoids is the problem.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

When Miz acknowledged the incident in a promo, didn't he say it was a referee's bag?

They didn't acknowledge who it was, because by that time Benoit was persona non grata.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

sticklefifer posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they put Kofi and Xavier on one show and gave Big E a singles push on the other. I also wouldn't be surprised if both Kofi and Xavier walked.

Yeah, I could see them keeping the group together and having ND members from one brand be on the other show in a promo capacity but not a wrestling capacity, and then paint the whole thing as "we found a loophole".

Also ghere is legitimately zero reason why you couldn't give Big E a singles run while still part of the New Day. It reeks of Cena-itis to assume that all singles wrestlers must be friendless sad sacks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

They didn't acknowledge who it was, because by that time Benoit was persona non grata.
He said "a referee's bag" in a promo, which I assume was to both avoid mentioning Benoit and to avoid arousing curiosity about who's bag it was.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Haha yeah a guy asking to retire by being squashed and a guy booked to be squashed to kill his heat are totally the same

I was pretty new to wrestling for that whole storyline and I didn't read the sheets or anything but I never felt that Bryan was booked to kill his heat (most of heat at the time was heel heat since he was really good at being a smug vegan rear end in a top hat boyfriend). It lined up perfectly with the story they had told; Bryan had spent almost 6 months avoiding a fair fight and he got more and more full of himself and then when he finally got into a fair fight, his arrogance got him squashed. It was a good storyline with a solid payoff. People just reacted badly to it because they were convinced Bryan was going to get squashed after that. Maybe Meltzer said he was or something, I don't know.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Also it meant we missed out on a Daniel Bryan match instead of missing out on a JBL match.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

MassRafTer posted:

The dump I took this morning has problems with Mil Mascaras

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HerraS posted:

The dump I took this morning has problems with Mil Mascaras

It figures poo poo would have problems with someone so good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I was pretty new to wrestling for that whole storyline and I didn't read the sheets or anything but I never felt that Bryan was booked to kill his heat (most of heat at the time was heel heat since he was really good at being a smug vegan rear end in a top hat boyfriend). It lined up perfectly with the story they had told; Bryan had spent almost 6 months avoiding a fair fight and he got more and more full of himself and then when he finally got into a fair fight, his arrogance got him squashed. It was a good storyline with a solid payoff. People just reacted badly to it because they were convinced Bryan was going to get squashed after that. Maybe Meltzer said he was or something, I don't know.

That may all be true, but the important question is why Daniel Bryan (or anyone that you would see a future in) was booked to be the 10,000th cowardly heel champ who can't ever look good in a row in modern WWE or get a real match at the biggest show of the year.

I mean, I would not doubt for a minute that Team Hell No's original purpose was to relegate Bryan to bit player/Goldust status. Comedy gimmicks are not meant to help guys climb the ladder, if Vince wants you to do that he will just book you to win a million matches in a row.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
It wasn't even the concept of him losing, it was how he lost. A lot of people expected Bryan to lose at Mania given the storyline at the time, but they assumed he would lose a really good 10 or so minute match. The fact that it was the exact opposite was what pissed people off.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

MassRafTer posted:

It figures poo poo would have problems with someone so good.

If hes so good why did he never win the only championship in history that matters, the WCW world title? :colbert:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Halloween Jack posted:

Who's Bobby Herman?

I just counted the votes man

Platypus Farm posted:

Also, macho man? I mean I love macho, but his promos were just as nonsensical and over-intense as warriors. Hell, I don't even know which one was less intelligible.

this is loving ridiculous

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always wondered if Savage had some sort of bet with people in the back that he could pick up something off the craft service table right before doing an interview and still make it relevant. I've seen him use a coffee cup, a bunch of creamers, etc

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

this is loving ridiculous

:agreed:

Savage said some wild poo poo but it all meant something and there was a consistency to the madness. He also could do coked-up fun promos just as well as intense coked-up murder promos. Randy Savage was one of the best promos ever. Warrior was just Conan-esque word salad.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a retard posted:

It wasn't even the concept of him losing, it was how he lost. A lot of people expected Bryan to lose at Mania given the storyline at the time, but they assumed he would lose a really good 10 or so minute match. The fact that it was the exact opposite was what pissed people off.

For me, I was wanting to see what the hype about this Daniel Bryan guy was all about, because I stopped watching from 2010 - 2012 but would still buy the Rumble and Mania. So you're pretty much right on that I was expecting at least like a 10 minute match, so was pissed at what they gave us.

Also opening the show in that fashion left a real bad taste in my mouth and then the rest of the show was bad too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

a retard posted:

That was the match I wanted to see most at Wreslemania and I was pissed off about it up until about the Hell in a Cell match. The crowd was very deflated about just as long too, and there were a lot of attempts to just sabotage Daniel Bryan in general. I think they had gone so far as trying to pass off the YES! chant to Big Show and Stephanie without even mentioning DB before he got so over they couldn't ignore him anymore, and even at that point they were still so reluctant to push him into the Wrestlemania where he won the title because they wanted Batista vs Orton to be their BIG match

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Macho Man loving ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm glad the wwe tried to bury daniel bryan, if they had stuck to their guns maybe he'd still be alive today

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HerraS posted:

If hes so good why did he never win the only championship in history that matters, the WCW world title? :colbert:

Politics due to his 40 year reign as the IWA World Champion.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always wondered if Savage had some sort of bet with people in the back that he could pick up something off the craft service table right before doing an interview and still make it relevant. I've seen him use a coffee cup, a bunch of creamers, etc

Or the best: the small plastic trash can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7xTAnUCLek

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Savage could improv like a motherfucker.

"*cream falls off of his head* On balance, off balance, doesn't matter."

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
We will never have another Macho Man will we? :(

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sionistic posted:

We will never have another Macho Man will we? :(

Adam Rose tried his best.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://youtu.be/dyiNiTONRP4

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploding mummy posted:

Adam Rose tried his best.

drat son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Who are some notable wrestlers with gymnastics background?