Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah faceless is my night time/work faction, I have 14 days of it and I'm barely R11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vil posted:

Faceless were potent for pushing high Rs before prestige research came out; I think drow may be the same now at some point in the post-ascension game?
Can confirm that Drow+Goblins is basically the best at R47+. Takes a day or two to get rolling but once it rolls it actually grows over time, unlike basically everything else. Hinges on Drow's Mana Addicts giving mana scaled to like t^1.25 now or something.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Undead would be great if their final thing would automatically cast night time every ten minutes while you're offline.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Hey so I suspect people here might have an idea of this sort of thing in terms of what they don't like to encounter as players. This might not be suited to this thread as it's not directly discussing an idle game, lemme know if it's inappropriate and I'll take it to one of the gamedev threads instead.

Let's define an event as some sort of pop up box that allows a selection of choices, with or without resource costs, that lead to some action, positive or negative.

Given this definition, which of the following things would you prefer to happen?

1. Events trigger over time. This pauses resource gathering and the game in general until you make a selection.
2. Events trigger over time. Resource gathering continues, although for the purposes of the event you're treated as having whatever resources you had when the event popped up instead of what you had now, so you can't just wait out a cost for a week or whatever.
3. Events trigger over time, resource gathering continues, and you have about two minutes to make a decision before a default decision (the least risky one) is made for you.
4. Events are exclusively triggered by player action or in direct response to player action.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have effectively Paradox-style events in a game you can theoretically throw into the background, and pausing everything until you pay attention to the event seems like it's going to make some people mad. What would you prefer?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cirrial posted:

Hey so I suspect people here might have an idea of this sort of thing in terms of what they don't like to encounter as players. This might not be suited to this thread as it's not directly discussing an idle game, lemme know if it's inappropriate and I'll take it to one of the gamedev threads instead.

Let's define an event as some sort of pop up box that allows a selection of choices, with or without resource costs, that lead to some action, positive or negative.

Given this definition, which of the following things would you prefer to happen?

1. Events trigger over time. This pauses resource gathering and the game in general until you make a selection.
2. Events trigger over time. Resource gathering continues, although for the purposes of the event you're treated as having whatever resources you had when the event popped up instead of what you had now, so you can't just wait out a cost for a week or whatever.
3. Events trigger over time, resource gathering continues, and you have about two minutes to make a decision before a default decision (the least risky one) is made for you.
4. Events are exclusively triggered by player action or in direct response to player action.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have effectively Paradox-style events in a game you can theoretically throw into the background, and pausing everything until you pay attention to the event seems like it's going to make some people mad. What would you prefer?

in that order

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Personally I'd rather have 4 > 2 = 3 > 1, myself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Meskhenet posted:

in that order
Seconding this.

(are you asking for shark game 2 :ohdear:)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think 1 is fine as long as the game isn't designed to require lots of idling to progress, or there's a toggle you can hit to go between active and idle modes, and in idle mode you obviously wouldn't get blocking events.

Otherwise if you want to add Paradox-style random events to an idler you're going to need to compromise. I think I'd prefer 3 or 4, 2 seems really fiddly.

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think 1 is fine as long as the game isn't designed to require lots of idling to progress, or there's a toggle you can hit to go between active and idle modes, and in idle mode you obviously wouldn't get blocking events.

Hm. Hadn't thought of having an active vs idle mode change. Although to be fair, I feel like if I was going to go down that route I'd just go with 4. If you're saying "I'm ready for events, give me events!", why not just give the player the event there and then?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(are you asking for shark game 2 :ohdear:)

there's a reason it's gonna be shark game 2 and not an update to the main one and it's probably because it'll turn out almost completely unrecognisable sorry

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cirrial posted:

there's a reason it's gonna be shark game 2 and not an update to the main one and it's probably because it'll turn out almost completely unrecognisable sorry
I mean, shark game 1 was good, so I am assuming shark game 2 will also be good, even if it's way different! I have faith.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I think you never want the entire game to stop waiting for input in a game that you think might have even a small idle component. At that point people would rather not have the event happen at all 99% of the time.

You could consider poaching the quest-style method where events pile into a list you can check at your leisure, and then you can mix and match stuff where people wait to have the required resources and things with static values based on when they were triggered. Generally speaking in browser games you want a steady flow with branching decisions the player can make whenever they happen to be looking at their game that divert that flow in some way, and pop-ups are more of a I'm sitting down to play fallout for x hours way of designing things.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I haven't played Clicker Heroes since before they added mercenaries and I jumped back in with my old save a while after 1.0 came out. Let me tell you, having multiple mercs die on long quests mere minutes before they finish and needing 14+ rubies to revive each of them is extremely cool and fun and definitely makes me want to continue playing Clicker Heroes

EDIT: Like, I get that it's probably better much further in the game (I'm at 7 ascensions, highest zone 237), but come the gently caress on.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 28, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Clicker heroes is too slow. You should be able to start 5 or so zones from the furthest you've gotten.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The best part of Clicker Heroes is how useless every system that doesn't involve souls is

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Color Printer posted:

So I haven't played Clicker Heroes since before they added mercenaries and I jumped back in with my old save a while after 1.0 came out. Let me tell you, having multiple mercs die on long quests mere minutes before they finish and needing 14+ rubies to revive each of them is extremely cool and fun and definitely makes me want to continue playing Clicker Heroes

EDIT: Like, I get that it's probably better much further in the game (I'm at 7 ascensions, highest zone 237), but come the gently caress on.

Its a little easier to stomach once you have a bank of rubies, and in a lot of cases, I just bury them unless they were really valuable. At the moment, I only ever have 4 mercs with one of them Recruiting every chance he can so I cycle out the garbage/dead ones as they come.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Any tips on the RG trophy 'Coin Pillage'? 30 Tax Collections in 5 seconds seems impossible without some ridiculous upgrade I don't know about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's trivial with mercenaries and a combination of angel and goblin upgrades and might be possible before that as one of those?

No rush to get it though. Since it only takes into account completely passive coin generation it's generally insignificant until you've started research.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 29, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Merijn posted:

Any tips on the RG trophy 'Coin Pillage'? 30 Tax Collections in 5 seconds seems impossible without some ridiculous upgrade I don't know about.

I did it about R3 as angels i think, or it might have been goblins. Was near the end of the run, had good mana regen and fairly high max mana. Think i needed 2900 but got away with about 2300 due to regen.

And yeah its pretty unspectacular. On my run now at e30 gems and e68 coin gen i get 2,850 fc.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Anybody have an autoclicker for Realm Grinder?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

got the rubies. it was a 75% chance for a relic quest. "Got nothing!"

i'll show you "got nothing"

yeah I know it was just a relic but seriously????

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Something really weird has happened to me in Clicker Heroes and I cannot figure out what happened at all. I just beat lvl 500, the last thing I did was regild the new gild I just got to one of the power 5 and now my damage is... gone? I can't even beat the lvl 500 boss anymore. I didn't touch any ancients or anything. What the gently caress guys?

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Did you use the last of your un-used souls? Going from +80% DPS to +0% dps would be pretty noticable (assuming you dont have Morghulis)

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I have 773 hero souls right now, which is actually more than what I had when I beat the boss because I collected 248 from the guild raid after

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Did you lose your idle bonus?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

damnfan posted:

Anybody have an autoclicker for Realm Grinder?

Easy Auto Clicker

Been using this for well over a year now for all kinds of idlers. Its great for getting through #click achievements and such.

Just remember realm grinder is capped at 30 clicks per second.

BlueCube
May 13, 2004
Cube that's Blue
Realm Grinder UI update is up.

Not very easy to navigate yet, maybe I'm just too used to the older version.

(EDIT: Options -> "Don't Group Upgrades by Category")

(EDIT 2: Options -> "Switch Lists to Compact Style" solves pretty much all of my complaints)

BlueCube fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

BlueCube posted:

Realm Grinder UI update is up.

Not very easy to navigate yet, maybe I'm just too used to the older version.

(EDIT: Options -> "Don't Group Upgrades by Category")

(EDIT 2: Options -> "Switch Lists to Compact Style" solves pretty much all of my complaints)

It takes some getting used to. :v:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

:qqsay: The game is RUINED

It's fine, just will take some getting used to. The weird small font is hard to read and the scrolling is busted. Hopefully the dev(s?) will keep on top of it and make performance improvements.

Right now it's extremely difficult to do any of the speed challenges.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Woof. The new update just feels clunky at first glance. :sigh: I'll get used to it eventually I guess.

Edit: After choosing "Don't group upgrades by Category", "Hide Purchased Upgrades", "Switch Lists to Compact Style", I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with it. There's some nice things like seeing the percentages of your income on each building that help.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 30, 2016

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Was this the update to add assistants to the first two building tier upgrades? (e.g. at 5 and 25 buildings)? Very helpful for faction coins in the early game.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, I can't read poo poo after the realm grinder update. That font is bad. I guess it looks cool, though.

e; the Buy All button is nice.

a messed up horse fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 30, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I bet the people in that chat channel are the same kind that get all "the sky is falling" whenever Facebook changes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I think it's kinda bad, but:

BlueCube posted:

goes a long way to making it less bad. The font sucks, though.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

Irritated Goat posted:

"Switch Lists to Compact Style"

Where is this option? I only have "Switch lists to extended style" which is unchecked. Is that what you all mean?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Interesting how many people decry the new UI as being "mobile" because that poo poo is unreadable on a full size PC screen, let alone on a tiny phone.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!

Beasteh posted:

:qqsay: The game is RUINED
It is pretty poo poo though, you can see a lot less information at once and stuff that used to be simple is stuck behind strangely-scrolling submenus. And in return for these obstacles to playing the game, we get... fancy pictures? That's what I was playing this for, sure.

Saving research builds is nice, anyway, and very welcome since the research screen is particularly crippled.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I had to leave my workstation on to run some script and I've got friday off, so at the earliest I won't turn it off until a week from now. So another week of play with the old interface. :smug:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The new UI looks like hot poo poo but I suppose it is fine since I've pretty much weaned off of the game after months of no gameplay update

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
The new UI owns, ya'll are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

insanityv2 posted:

The new UI owns, ya'll are crazy.

I think it's pretty swank too, although all the font complaints are legit. I don't even give a poo poo about fonts and it's TERRIBLE.

Probably just gonna close the tab again though until a content patch hits. Research saving and buy all upgrades are VERY good, but not really helping me want to get past R45

e: it kind of reminds me of old HoM&M fonts, which were also terrible.