Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dante80 posted:

Speaking of that, can someone take a guess on the cost of using Imaginarium for 3 months, and having hollywood actors doing full performance capture (no cheap things like mocap or voice overs)?

No idea on the actors. But I remember back at the end of last year reading Beer giving a rather generous to CIG estimate. No idea if he still agrees with his numbers then (over 3500 pages ago), but here it is again.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On a lark I decided to be a little less charitable towards CIG and try something different. I assumed that CIG's growth in dedicated staff was linear between each data point, leading to a total predicted expenditure of $44 million. Again that's based on Frontier's monthly expenditure of $9320 per person. I then decided to see if I could estimate the contractor burden. We have three available data points from CIG about "developers" as opposed to dedicated staff. In October 2012 there were only 5 developers so likely no contracts. In October 2013 there were 90 developers and 52 dedicated staff for a difference of 38 people. In October 2014 there were 240 developers and an estimated 172 dedicated staff (assuming linear growth) for a difference of 68 people. We know that Behavior started working with CIG in December of 2012, and CIG also has contracts with Turbulent and CGBot as well as a now defunct over with IllFonic. So for shits and giggles I decided to estimate a "contractor burden" of 40 people, and estimate that load from December 2012 to the present. That translated to around $13 million. So if you assume that CIG's staff growth is linear between their data points, and that CIG's development contractor expenses are the equivalent of 40 people per month, then you're looking at $57 million spent. Obviously the numbers surrounding the contracts are ridiculously soft but it's a fun mental exercise.

There's also the expenses associated with all of the motion capture equipment, which is $230K. Of more interest is the cost of Imaginarium, which CR used for 11 weeks for Squadron 42. Now according to Chris's own words motion capture costs between $25K and $50K per day. I'm assuming that Imaginarium is at the high end of that, so we're talking about 55 days at $50K per day or $2.75 million. So for just the motion capture rig and 55 days of performance capture alone you're looking at $3 million. It should also be noted that motion capture and performance capture technically aren't the same thing, so it's entirely possible that Imaginarium is even more than $50K per day. We don't know and CIG won't say.

I don't think it's unreasonable to estimate that CIG has spent at least $60 million and has a monthly burn rate of $2.8 million. The major issue is what their net difference is between amount earned and amount spent; if we use Frontier's numbers and assume an equivalent of 300 people then any day that they earn less than $93,200 is considered a loss. Their average income for the last 365 days has been around $91.5K so not a big difference yet, but if their expenses are significantly higher than estimated or sales start to falter then things could get really bad.

Ahh hell, snipe and no catte. Repeat catte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
One of the best things about this whole thing is how the guy that is a failed movie maker is obviously burning tens of millions on a dumbass movie that nobody wants, but so many people refuse to believe it and keep giving him money.

It's the part in the documentary where there would be a line like this

*interviewer* So you went so deep into Star Citizen you lost everything. Your house. Your job. Your wife. Your Children. You put $30,000 into this video game.
*backer* Yes
*interviewer* Was there any indication that they were wasting the money on the CEOs pet side project?
*backer* ....NO
*interviewer* but this went on for years. It was widely reported by people. I know we are looking back with hindsight but the CEO only speaks with confidence about Squadron 42. All updates and work was related to Squadron 42. He was taken off of Freelancer for this exact reason. Add to that his own words about his bad management in the past. Do you stick by what you said about there being zero indication?
*backer* Yes. CIG promised a dream. And I believed it.

*cut to interviewer narration* Why did so many people refuse the evidence in front of them? See a tree and tell themselves it was a rock? Cloud Imperium Games did promise a dream. But it was the backers who chose to remain asleep.
(sad music montage to now homeless backers getting soup at a soup kitchen or getting comfortable under a bridge)

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Strike 3. I'm out until tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gXRHiADsA

Stupid blocking poo poo.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2016

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Engineering debt is a term I started using around the time that they got really hog wild with the big ticket ships that all use some completely different mechanic that hasn't even been though up right and would need hundreds if not thousands of ENGINEER hours to just get it programmed. Basically a completely new problem is created and now the engineers need to solve it, the problem was created to sell ships, the ships are already sold, so its a debt held to the engineers. The drink mini game, the passenger cruise-line, the liquid mining poo poo, etc are all examples of engineering debt.

This makes sense, thanks. So not an additional "interest-bearing" debt (like technical) but like "salesman sold X, now figure out how to make it." Close enough?

THEN they compound the technical debt on top because, well, look at the track record.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
Instead the wall should act like a wall should. (Be a wall and not let anyone past)
This should no happen, instead you should be able to walk normally inside the ship.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot about that. Since I'm US based I assumed that the company would include insurance premiums as part of overhead.

Yep. Who knows about the FICA equivalent as well if they have one. Also consider currency exchange rates. And well, the Europe offices and cost of living indexes and taxes.

Point is, when you see some dumbass on the forums saying "Well, CIG has 40 artists and they make $40K a year" take it with a grain of salt when they calculate expenses. It is comical.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

rebounded posted:

This makes sense, thanks. So not an additional "interest-bearing" debt (like technical) but like "salesman sold X, now figure out how to make it." Close enough?

THEN they compound the technical debt on top because, well, look at the track record.

Yep pretty much. Make feature X work because we sold feature X. Now make feature Y work because we sold that. Now features A-Z, 1-9, need to be created, and they need to all work together.
We've already taken all the money for these things by the way, so they need to be reality.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Decrepus posted:

Can you guys who are talking about Engineering Debt or whatever explain how that isn't included in normal day-to-day operation of 300 employees? If it is some artists already on the payroll just making things out of cubes and stealing artwork how does that make it cost extra? I'm assuming they aren't working per diem.

Engineering or technical debt is not a direct monetary cost or loan to be repaid (although it can result in those things). Engineering debt is usually a task that, as a result of some decision, you must complete at some point in the future. Typically its functionally or contractually critical, it must get done or there are real consequences. You can't/won't deliver it now. It's a way of viewing things like tasks and projects that are not easily converted into man-hours and $$. So for instance, by agreeing to the stretch goal of private servers being a feature of Star Citizen, CIG received more money but also added to their engineering debt, because now they have another thing they will have to build in order for their product to ship or not breach their agreement or whatever. It's not easily quantifiable, but is useful when assessing certain decisions to be able to point out that one option has a high upfront cost whereas another is relatively inexpensive upfront but adds some engineering debt.

Another good example is software projects. A project may have modules that, due to some issue, may require major refactoring at some point but for now don't need to be fixed. If technical debt like this isn't regularly cleared up, it can balloon to the point where all work on new features must halt or it causes a critical problem.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"You dont know anything about game development" holds true to CIG management as well

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

One of the best things about this whole thing is how the guy that is a failed movie maker is obviously burning tens of millions on a dumbass movie that nobody wants, but so many people refuse to believe it and keep giving him money.

It's the part in the documentary where there would be a line like this

*interviewer* So you went so deep into Star Citizen you lost everything. Your house. Your job. Your wife. Your Children. You put $30,000 into this video game.
*backer* Yes
*interviewer* Was there any indication that they were wasting the money on the CEOs pet side project?
*backer* ....NO
*interviewer* but this went on for years. It was widely reported by people. I know we are looking back with hindsight but the CEO only speaks with confidence about Squadron 42. All updates and work was related to Squadron 42. He was taken off of Freelancer for this exact reason. Add to that his own words about his bad management in the past. Do you stick by what you said about there being zero indication?
*backer* Yes. CIG promised a dream. And I believed it.

*cut to interviewer narration* Why did so many people refuse the evidence in front of them? See a tree and tell themselves it was a rock? Cloud Imperium Games did promise a dream. But it was the backers who chose to remain asleep.
(sad music montage to now homeless backers getting soup at a soup kitchen or getting comfortable under a bridge)

Are you in Santa Monica and pubeless? I think there's a job waiting for you

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Why is D&D so bad and unfunny. Has anything funny happened today?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the real Star Citizen documentary going to be called?

Reached for The Stars, Got Full Burn : The Chris Roberts Story

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Polish Avenger posted:

Engineering or technical debt is not a direct monetary cost or loan to be repaid (although it can result in those things). Engineering debt is usually a task that, as a result of some decision, you must complete at some point in the future. Typically its functionally or contractually critical, it must get done or there are real consequences. You can't/won't deliver it now. It's a way of viewing things like tasks and projects that are not easily converted into man-hours and $$. So for instance, by agreeing to the stretch goal of private servers being a feature of Star Citizen, CIG received more money but also added to their engineering debt, because now they have another thing they will have to build in order for their product to ship or not breach their agreement or whatever. It's not easily quantifiable, but is useful when assessing certain decisions to be able to point out that one option has a high upfront cost whereas another is relatively inexpensive upfront but adds some engineering debt.

Another good example is software projects. A project may have modules that, due to some issue, may require major refactoring at some point but for now don't need to be fixed. If technical debt like this isn't regularly cleared up, it can balloon to the point where all work on new features must halt or it causes a critical problem.

Star Citizen: It's not easily quantifiable

Edit: Nice post BTW.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Madcosby posted:

Supernova — the Overloading, Core Collapse, and Explosion of Star Citizen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tippis posted:

Nah. It's just Hollywood having taught you wrong about this as well.
One of the major problems of space isn't the cold (indeed, depending on your definition, space simply doesn't have a temperature and thus can't be cold), it's heat: it's a really tricky thing to get rid of in a vacuum, and doubly so if you have a nearby star that keeps pumping more energy into you.

Once you go beyond something more complex than the a soda can design of, say, the Apollo capsules, all the machines and engines and other stuff on board will start generating so much heat that you need to dedicate significant ship volume to radiators and heat sinks that gets rid off all of that nasty stuff before the crew is toasted. This has all kinds of interesting side-effects, if you're going for a realistic setting. For instance, space combat can be reduced to something as simple as throwing a bunch of high-speed pebbles at the opponent — no need to puncture the hull or defeat armour or anything; you just have to shred their radiators, which by their nature and function need to be both exposed and flimsy. It also kills all hopes of achieving any kind of stealth since there's no way to hide the heat expulsion required to stay alive.

:eng101:

crobbers gonna model all of that in starengine

the most realistic heat dissipation you have ever seen in your life.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

What about the fedora industry?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

orcinus posted:

What about the fedora industry?

Dead. Given the recent tweet of the ball cap I wouldn't expect it in Casabra outlet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ah, the shillizens are making more astounding leaps of logic every day.

proKar_garlic at FDev forums posted:

I don't care if you don't like how ships fly, If you are angry because your precious LTI was made irrelevant and messed your grey-market business, If you are bitter because you got kicked from the forums or if you are angry because the Idris was upgraded from a corvette to a frigate or because Procedural Generated planets are coming sooner rather than later.
In Short: If the Star Citizen Development/Crowdfunding Campaign didn't followed as you expected and you now are: Disappointed/Bitter/Angry, whatever is fuelling that hate, take a step back and think twice before posting, because what that attitude is showing, is that whatever CIG did to make you step away from backing the community/game, they did the right move. Because that toxic behaviour is not welcomed anywhere, being it in Star Citizen or in any other game. So way to go in proving CIG right.

Alienating your customers to the point where they're disappointed and bitter with your failure to deliver is the right thing to do, as proven by how it makes people leave. :suicide:

…and CIG definitely do not welcome toxic behaviour, nosireee.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Madcosby posted:

Sunk Cost Galaxy or Starship of Fools.

See You in the Hearse: The Death of a Dream

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Hello thread.

Ben Lesnick: Producer

I have absolutely no problem with this. IMDB can be editted where you can add quotes of your most favorite lines... Somebody should get to work on that.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 28, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Madcosby posted:

Sunk Cost Galaxy
I am feeling hollow all my life

or if Derek makes it

"THE DEREK SMART STORY: DEREK SMART'S TREATISE ON DEREK SMARTS EARLIER STATEMENTS RE: Star Citizen"

Also if anyone wants an easy analogy about engineering debt. It would be like if Ford promised a new F150 for $40,000. Then sold optional features for it.

Now it has All wheel drive.
Now it has tires that never go flat.
Now it has an electric backup engine.
Now it can use any type of fuel.
Now it has a hydraulic variable lift kit.
Now it has smoke stacks that can smoke meat.
Now it has a water tight bed that can be converted into a hot tub.
Now it has seats with artificial intelligence that react to the millisecond to your farts.
Now it has a radio that can read radio waves from any point in the earths past by vibrational magnetic frequency distortion so you can listen to the original broadcast of the 1938 World Series.
Now it has the ability to stand upright on it's rear tires and walk like a human being.
Now it has the ability to split into two smaller trucks that can be driven separately.
Now it has the ability to join with two other trucks into some kind of truck voltron.
Now it has the ability to run on ghost fuel, which is concentrated ghosts.

You start out making "A Truck" and then you promise features for it for years with no control over if they make sense, can be done efficiently or even are possible. Your only goal is to make as much cash for this truck as you possibly can but you end up with an exponential amount of extra work. It costs extra in that anything more than "A Truck" is extra.

You were originally going to make a Ford F150 in a few years, but now you have to create robotics labs from scratch, hire mechanical engineers and scientists and start working out Truck Voltron mechanics and Unlimited Energy, which through bad management are actually impossible but are huge expenditures.

That's engineering debt. Which at some point any good company would have a handle on. Design documents, a clear goal, financial accountability. Things like that. Also most consumers aren't as desperately loving stupid as Star Citizen backers so most companies aren't enabled to the degree RSI/CIG are.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Now it has the ability to run on ghost fuel, which is concentrated ghosts.

Tell me more.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Tell me more.

Ghost Fuel Tanks are made of a special metal with an eletronic cap release mechanism. $4800.
You also need a PKE Meter to find the ghosts. $2300.
The proton pack / ghost trap is a special deal. Buy it now, Combo price is only $12,000 (Regular $25000)

Ghosts will deliver better mileage and performance that is tenfold better than any other fuel source.

I will deliver you all of these things in exactly gently caress you give me money. Here are pictures of someone listening to EVPs to prove the technology exists. GIVE ME MONEY.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Nighthawk_Zale/status/747615366080167936

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Da gently caress is dat?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

the SC logo in his twitter profile pic looks like a hoop earing lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Ghost Fuel Tanks are made of a special metal with an eletronic cap release mechanism. $4800.
You also need a PKE Meter to find the ghosts. $2300.
The proton pack / ghost trap is a special deal. Buy it now, Combo price is only $12,000 (Regular $25000)

Ghosts will deliver better mileage and performance that is tenfold better than any other fuel source.

I will deliver you all of these things in exactly gently caress you give me money. Here are pictures of someone listening to EVPs to prove the technology exists. GIVE ME MONEY.

Well poo poo, I'm sold. I'm going to ride to the bleeding edge of the future on a wave of concentrated ghosts!

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Thanks for playing Star Citizen - the board game!

Instructions:

Step 1 - Remove the Star Marine card from the deck
Step 2 - Dream

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Is that like a custom one-off boardgame thing or are we looking at photographic evidence of the only game CIG has ever actually completed?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Nicholas posted:

the SC logo in his twitter profile pic looks like a hoop earing lol

Captain of the Carrack S.R.C. Nimoy Founder: Spartan Resource Consortium Star Citizen Streamer UEE Citizen #282917 RSI Handle: NtHwk

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Refactor: Change one of the rules of the game and discard your hand

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Salt Detector: Pick another player and reveal their character card. If Derek Smart, win the game

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
The 4th Stimpire: Keep this card hidden, if another player travels to get a drink or go to the bathroom, stomp on their genitals repeatedly.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SurfaceDetail posted:

You have collided with an errant asteroid. Stand up and spin wildly until your next turn.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Toast: If in an argument over the rules of the game. Call upon the powers of a journeyman paralegal to your aid

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

This guy only makes $208 a month off his Star Citizen patreon but that still seems like too much.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

a make believe captain in a video game that doesn't exist

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Oh. Now I get it. Star Citizen was a board game all along, not a video game. Easy mistake to make. It explains a lot.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Ultimately, regardless of how much they have left, it's still a dead-end company. They are not using their money to create a game that will bring them in more money - they are using their money to create assets for which they have yet to build a game. The only hope Star Citizen has is that when they release, it's such a great game that the backers who've given them $116 million to date are just the tip of the iceberg - the rest of the world will go nuts, and will be totally willing to jump in the pool with everyone else and drop $250 - $2500 on starships for years to come, funding continued development and more game enhancements.

This is what Chris thinks will happen. He thinks there's an untapped market remaining out there - hundreds of thousands of people who will spend enough to make that "initial" $116 million look like peanuts. He just has to get a bit more out there for them to chew on, and they'll come running.

He's missing the forest for the trees. People who would be interested in Star Citizen have already paid into Star Citizen. The only people left are those who would never buy $250 starships in the first place. There's no market for this game aside from the one it's already milked. The quality, functionality, and aesthetic of the game is so poor that even people casually interested can see it's a hack job. There's too much competition offering superior experiences and quality for lower prices.

Nobody who doesn't already care about this game will care about it if and when it releases.

This is the sort of problem with MLM's. In order to make any real money, you pretty much have to recruit cities, counties, states, countries into your downline. If you don't mind a reductio ad aburdum, pretty soon everyone on the planet works for the MLM company.

There are only so many fans of fidelitous space games. If CoD:IW really does well, it is precisely because it is NOT fidelitous. It is SHOOTYMANS! IN SPAAAAAAAAACE!

You think a player will ever go "Flying Dutchman" into space, slowly drifting off as they watch the oxygen meter agonizingly creep ever lower, listening to themselves cough and wheeze as their bodies slowly die, poisoned by their own wastes? (As an aside, SO happy Doom 2016 ditched the oxygen mechanic!) You think anyone is going to go to a station, then launch themselves EVA, just to have their cold gas jet system shut down or run out of fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

SurfaceDetail posted:

So the entire game is basically an Archer of Fluxx. Makes sense.

• Locked thread