Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Come on guys everyone's abandoning you cause you got tricked into leaving your swarthy friends behind by a couple weird looking racists.

Scotland can come too but Northern Ireland is hosed so they should unite with Ireland or become a hermit kingdom

We'll even give you representation :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Be real- they're not getting representation

maybe they can get upgraded from Territory status after Puerto Rico

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This would be p cool actually

C'mon UK, it's not like you're actually using those monarchs anyway, just toss 'em in the guillotine and let's unite the Anglosphere again

LGD posted:

Be real- they're not getting representation

maybe they can get upgraded from Territory status after Puerto Rico

Pfft PR keeps voting not to be a state, there's no line. All the UK would have to do is vote a little better than they just did and they'd get in easy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"United Kingdom" is a p lovely name for a state though, they'd have to split into individual countries or whatever they call them

England, Scotland, Wales, and NI can be #51-54

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
NI isn't invited

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
England sucks though.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
We get to drop "New" from our cities and states though and UK will be known as New England. Tom Brady land will just be regular Olde England.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
It's at least better than like 20 of our states

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've never actually been to Northern Ireland but considering The Troubles it seems like kind of a bad idea to unify them with regular Ireland

Maybe the rest of Ireland can come too and we can have like a Virginia/West Virginia thing going with them

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

Pfft PR keeps voting not to be a state, there's no line. All the UK would have to do is vote a little better than they just did and they'd get in easy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012

multi-part question so open to interpretation, but by most indications Statehood is the most popular option, and given the recent budget crisis I think full statehood would be likely to win if it was a straight up or down vote

the bigger issue is that there is little reason for a Republican controlled congress to add one or more new states that would be solidly politically aligned with the opposition party, so you'd need large agitation on the parts of the territories, wave elections favoring the Democratic party, or a political realignment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LGD posted:

the bigger issue is that there is little reason for a Republican controlled congress to add one or more new states that would be solidly politically aligned with the opposition party

well given what just happened in the UK that's certainly not true for them :v:

bad news for Scotland though

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

They might be racist enough, but having been sheltered by undemocratic European bureaucracy for the last several decades I'm not sure the average Englishman really has the constitution for the full blast of :911: FREEDOM :911: inherent in modern U.S. movement conservatism

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
do we get guns though? dealbreaker

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I like nice even numbers so if we do this we need to merge the Dakotas.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Free travel through the US > than free travel through Europe

Aug 4, 2010

lol if you want england to be part of your country, they are a loving vile nation of effete cunts and i long for global warming so they sink to the bottom of the north sea

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
If Canada and Australia come maybe we can just be the federation of western hegemonies

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bitter Mushroom posted:

yes, it would be a constitutional right for anyone who wanted one

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is there a law against a state having a monarchy?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Idk why the US would want England as a state anyway when they could just be a client nation instead.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Picture of the queen responding to this proposition

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
The queen is Canadian :confused:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Typical Pubbie posted:

yes, there is actually a bunch of the constitution dealing with this

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_of_Nobility_Clause

and

Article One, Section 10 posted:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 29, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

never trust an elf posted:

The queen is Canadian :confused:

Truth hurts

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LGD posted:

They might be racist enough, but having been sheltered by undemocratic European bureaucracy for the last several decades I'm not sure the average Englishman really has the constitution for the full blast of :911: FREEDOM :911: inherent in modern U.S. movement conservatism

It is in many cases a literal blast, fired from a gun

Al Cowens posted:

For England, merge the Dakotas. For Scotland, split Connecticut in half, half goes to NY and half merges with RI. For Wales, absorb Connecticut Island into MA. Continue in this vein as necessary depending on number of Ireland states.

Typical Pubbie posted:

There would be kings of at least Texas and California by now if there wasn't

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

LGD posted:

yes, there is actually a bunch of the constitution dealing with this

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_of_Nobility_Clause

and

it says "shall grant" ergo no new titles going forward

there is wiggle room to grandfather them in :mrgw:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lets get US, Canada, UK, and Australia into an economic zone with free movement between countries

tia

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
except Montreal

gently caress montreal, GO BACK TO FRANCE

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

loquacius posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I would legit love to own some guns, I just can't be arsed going through the hassle in the UK to get one and then only having my 2ftx2ft garden to shoot them on, thus upsetting the neighbours 6feet away who will call the police no doubt.

loquacius posted:

There is a major reason Scotland wants to stay in the EU so much....they seem to be unable to do anything other than rely on North Sea Oil and UK handouts :tinfoil:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/04/scottish-economy-grows-far-more-slowly-than-uk-as-a-whole

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Al Cowens posted:

Merge the Dakotas for PR and the Virginias for "England" meaning England and Wales, imo.

Also does Hawaii still technically have a king or what? Maybe we could do a thing like they have.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

www posted:

lol if you want england to be part of your country, they are a loving vile nation of effete cunts and i long for global warming so they sink to the bottom of the north sea

have you ever seen any of the non-coastal states? England is nicer than all of them

we should let England be a state, but we should combine two of the empty states so that we still have a nice round number of 50 states. Combine the Dakotas or just give one to Canada or whatever

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

City of Tampa posted:

have you ever seen any of the non-coastal states? England is nicer than all of them

we should let England be a state, but we should combine two of the empty states so that we still have a nice round number of 50 states. Combine the Dakotas or just give one to Canada or whatever

we're trying to expand the US fuckboi, not give parts of it away

annex canada too while we're at it

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Let's build a bridge to Australia

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

loquacius posted:

It is in many cases a literal blast, fired from a gun

For England, merge the Dakotas. For Scotland, split Connecticut in half, half goes to NY and half merges with RI. For Wales, absorb Connecticut Island into MA. Continue in this vein as necessary depending on number of Ireland states.

jBrereton posted:

Merge the Dakotas for PR and the Virginias for "England" meaning England and Wales, imo.

Also does Hawaii still technically have a king or what? Maybe we could do a thing like they have.
Let a computer optimization algorithm partition the United States in the most optimal way given a weighted objective function that I tweak and then we will all live in State 0xA2, Sector 0x4F.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Britain is going to need a harbor for their navy once Scotland fucks off. Virginia has room. :911: :britain:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Maoist Pussy posted:

Britain is going to need a harbor for their navy once Scotland fucks off. Virginia has room. :911: :britain:
We're just going to leave everything in Gibraltar to gently caress off the Spanish.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Al Cowens posted:

Let a computer optimization algorithm partition the United States in the most optimal way given a weighted objective function that I tweak and then we will all live in State 0xA2, Sector 0x4F.

There's actually been serveral proposals to re-do the states. None of them got farther than "a dude had an idea" tho

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Merge Britain, give the Dakotas back to the Indians because seriously why not. Flag stays at 50 stars. Boom.

• Locked thread