Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Begemot posted:

Polite Mind Control Bear is fantastic and it sucks that we won't see more of it for god knows how long. Are all those beasts from Woble? The translation implies that they are, but it is mangastream so....

I can't believe he left it on a cliffhanger. Although it's not like Kurapika is going to get killed by some chump with a knife.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be from different princes. Wobbles I think are the little black eye creatures.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

T/N Check wikipedia to find out more

This article specifically. Gu(poison)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Today's lesson is how to deal with Japanese themed ghosts. Our unfortunate hunter was offered a question "are you free?". This is a yes or no question and should immediately be considered a catch-22. He answered no and was possessed later on, had he said yes the possession would probably have happened immediately. This is somewhat common in Japanese mythology and the only correct answer varies depending on the spirit in question. Best guess is that he could have either bounced the question back in order to avoid possession, or just given a "so-so" response. I've also read that you can claim you have a prior engagement or meeting and the spirit will excuse themselves for being rude. Either way the moral of today's lesson is: If presented with a yes or no question by a creature, don't give them a definitive response.

I kind of hope that the other nen beasts are all themed around urban legends and myths because that would be really interesting to play out in a battle setting.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crain posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be from different princes. Wobbles I think are the little black eye creatures.

This article specifically. Gu(poison)

Ah yeah, that makes sense.

Also that article is pretty interesting and does explain why they keep using the worm toxin analogy. It doesn't just make a poison, creates an evil spirit that will go kill a person specifically to improve the life of the poisoner. These nen beasts are a very specific reference to ancient Chinese sorcery.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kurapika is going to get killed by the knife guy and we won't find out for another 16 months.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

Today's lesson is how to deal with Japanese themed ghosts. Our unfortunate hunter was offered a question "are you free?". This is a yes or no question and should immediately be considered a catch-22. He answered no and was possessed later on, had he said yes the possession would probably have happened immediately. This is somewhat common in Japanese mythology and the only correct answer varies depending on the spirit in question. Best guess is that he could have either bounced the question back in order to avoid possession, or just given a "so-so" response. I've also read that you can claim you have a prior engagement or meeting and the spirit will excuse themselves for being rude. Either way the moral of today's lesson is: If presented with a yes or no question by a creature, don't give them a definitive response.

I kind of hope that the other nen beasts are all themed around urban legends and myths because that would be really interesting to play out in a battle setting.

Well, that's interesting. Also the opposite of the first question-asking spirit I thought of after reading this, the Lady Midday, who tries to kill the people she's interrogating if they don't answer or try to change the subject, but she's from a completely different mythology.

I do wonder what all these will be like, though. And who any of those things belong to; while the tiny black things seem like they might be Woble's, since they manifested on the two guards and looked like they could be parasitic, but it's hard to make any statements about any of them beyond that. Though the bear doesn't seem like something Benjamin would have, at the least.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Begemot posted:

Also that article is pretty interesting and does explain why they keep using the worm toxin analogy. It doesn't just make a poison, creates an evil spirit that will go kill a person specifically to improve the life of the poisoner. These nen beasts are a very specific reference to ancient Chinese sorcery.

Yeah, the princes are the venomous creatures in this case. They'll slowly start eliminating each other in a closed environment with no outside interference and the powers of the nen beasts will start to combine and amplify each other. Then the final prince will have a super strong nen beast guarding him/her when they take power.

That's why it's happening on the ship (the jar), why the princes themselves aren't supposed to actually go after other princes directly (to make sure the beasts are fighting and condensing their powers), and why most of the guards aren't aware of what's going on (so they don't end up messing with the natural order).

I'm making the assumption that these nen beasts don't linger after death, unlike other nen curses. Since these princes weren't primary targets of the original curse, and that the point of these beasts is to literally eat each other till there is one left. So if a prince is killed outside of the succession game that beasts abilities might be lost, hence why the King doesn't want them to just go and kill each other and didn't give them legal immunity for the fight.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

(Oops quote not edit)

Roland Jones posted:

while the tiny black things seem like they might be Woble's, since they manifested on the two guards and looked like they could be parasitic,

I think the point of the "parasite-type" is that ALL the nen beasts are parasites. They're not made from the users nen but a curse placed on them via the kings clay pot artifact.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Well, that's interesting. Also the opposite of the first question-asking spirit I thought of after reading this, the Lady Midday, who tries to kill the people she's interrogating if they don't answer or try to change the subject, but she's from a completely different mythology.

The bush devils from certain African myths also like to take the form of pale-skinned men (go figure) and lead travelers astray with probing questions. Giving them vague or obtuse answers frustrates and banishes them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

(Oops quote not edit)

I think the point of the "parasite-type" is that ALL the nen beasts are parasites. They're not made from the users nen but a curse placed on them via the kings clay pot artifact.

I meant "parasitic" in terms of "things that could suck (massive amounts of) blood from their victims", the way we've seen what's probably its previous victims be killed. I didn't mean in the way of the "parasite" nen beasts all these things are. Forgot that that term was already being thrown around in the chapter and used it without clarification, whoops.

Though looking again, I slightly misjudged their appearance. Now I think those things might be someone else's too now. Hm.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 30, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

If the theme of the nen beasts is urban legends there is room to get a lot of different cultures in. Wobbles mother is the traditional japanese woman, but the other princes have different backgrounds so there's room to see more in there.

quote:

I do wonder what all these will be like, though. And who any of those things belong to; while the tiny black things seem like they might be Woble's, since they manifested on the two guards and looked like they could be parasitic, but it's hard to make any statements about any of them beyond that. Though the bear doesn't seem like something Benjamin would have, at the least.
I thought it was a hamster and assumed it would be the Prince who always has the cage with him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I thought it was a hamster and assumed it would be the Prince who always has the cage with him.

Ahahaha, point, and yeah, that would make sense.

So, that makes two beasts we've seen actually kill people. One is a mystery but it exsanguinates its victims, while the other is the hamster thing, which possesses people and has them kill others. The latter doesn't seem too dangerous in and of itself, though if it somehow manages to possess a nen user, then there could be trouble. If it is Marayam's nen beast, that probably explains why it's relatively lacking, though; it belongs to a kid who, thus far, just seems to be some child who likes his pets and his video games. The other beasts are probably considerably more dangerous.

On that topic, we've now seen quite five different beasts. There's the hamster, the little black cyclops-gecko things, the massive snake-worm that was in the ceiling, the jellyfish, and the dragon-fish thing. What's interesting is that at least two of them seem to be rather numerous; it sounded like the nen beasts would be individual entities, but there's a lot of the geckos and the jellyfish.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

I meant "parasitic" in terms of "things that could suck (massive amounts of) blood from their victims", the way we've seen what's probably its previous victims be killed. I didn't mean in the way of the "parasite" nen beasts all these things are. Forgot that that term was already being thrown around in the chapter and used it without clarification, whoops.

Though looking again, I slightly misjudged their appearance. Now I think those things might be someone else's too now. Hm.

I think they are of the parasite type to explain how the nen beasts can exist being autonomous and the corresponding nen user is not aware of them nor have created it or control it. The beast acts alone while is powered with the nen of his user without knowing it.

It will be interesting if Bateman-prince and Lion-prince will learn voluntary nen use and from there gain some control on their beasts.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Begemot posted:

Yep, that was very interesting. Not only is Gu in the literal sense (the boat is the closed container, each prince is a poisonous animal, only one can survive), but the themes of sorcery and the association with spirit beasts are very appropriate.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turin Turambar posted:

I think they are of the parasite type to explain how the nen beasts can exist being autonomous and the corresponding nen user is not aware of them nor have created it or control it. The beast acts alone while is powered with the nen of his user without knowing it.

...I know that. Like I said, when I said "parasite" in my first post I was referring to how I thought at the time the things looked like they might be things that literally suck blood, since that's how we saw all those guys die. I am fully aware of what "parasite-type nen" is and was referring to something completely different.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Close the thread and lock the forum before people think up more really cool stuff that could happen in this arc that we'll never get to see.

"That door over there son? That's ADTRW. 'Tis said there's a grand treasure in a lost thread, guarded by a thousand hungry posters."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Kodoku. That's what the "worm toxin" thing was based on to begin with.

That said, I'm glad to finally get some clarification on nen beasts. I love that doofy looking dragon thing. But one of them even has conditions, which further complicates an already incredibly complex situation.

Also, I guess I completely misinterpreted the situation. I didn't think that anyone would target Woble first because she isn't any kind of threat, but instead it looks like some of them would like to get rid of the weakest one first. Since at least some nen beasts act on instinct, that makes Woble even more of a target.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pierson posted:

Close the thread and lock the forum before people think up more really cool stuff that could happen in this arc that we'll never get to see

So it's time for everyone to start making their own nen abilities?

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 30, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
While we're on the subject of Kodoku, here's a manga based on that premise.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kodoku-Experiment

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was a fun, dumb little manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Any of you guys free?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
No, I'm busy posting about anime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Okay.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lemme know when you're free, okay?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't believe the mod is shitposting in his own thread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Can't believe the mod is shitposting in his own thread.

this guy is obviously free

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to sleep so no.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man I'm gonna crush this bear with my sweet "tomorrow never comes" strategy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh right, another great addition to this scenario was the reveal about how the princes have to kill each other without being caught. This is a highly compressed training program for the next king.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I remember this. It would make an amazing b movie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stuck in someone else's training arc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well that was neat.

I remember this. It would make an amazing b movie.

I'd watch it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

goon project: lets fly to japan and lock Togashi in a hotel room

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does anyone have a large butterfly net?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

NecroMonster posted:

goon project: lets fly to japan and lock Togashi in a hotel room

i think getting him a life time supply of fentanyl patches is a better idea. or just convince him to use assistants

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Turin Turambar posted:

It will be interesting if Bateman-prince and Lion-prince will learn voluntary nen use and from there gain some control on their beasts.

I don't think knowing how to use nen would help them control it. It would just let you see that there's a nen monster hovering around you eating your aura. Ultimately, these are still just someone else's nen beasts possessing you, like how Potclean was possessing Knuckle's enemies. So there's no reason at all for them to take orders from their "victims". Even if they are relatively benign and following their subconscious wishes.

Unless they also happen to develop a specific exorcist-type nen that would let them control curses.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

How did nobody see the hamster thing on that guy?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lpzie posted:

How did nobody see the hamster thing on that guy?

I assume it was the only beast using In.

Actually, for all we know that one wasn't even a nen beast: it could've been the actual nen ability of someone else hiding among the beasts.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jose posted:

i think getting him a life time supply of fentanyl patches is a better idea. or just convince him to use assistants

He has A assistant. Naoko did a lot of the touching up when Togashi went into Full doodle mode during the chimera ant arc right? Would either of them be ok with having her taking over drawing while he writes? Maybe get an assistant to help her out? Its pretty obvious that she did more than just touching up after this hiatus, full spreads looked like they were in her style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Someone needs to ask Togashi when he's free.