Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Get good at Cave Story!

Figure out a weapon like the Bubbler or Fireball to main, keep your stronger guns maxed out, and swap to them in a pinch. Then when everything's dead, cap your weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Augus posted:

I thought Shovel Knight was pretty easy but then on replays it was suddenly hard so I think I might just literally be a crazy person or something.

That or you were playing New Game+ mode.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The endgame of Cave Story is orders of magnitude harder than anything in Shovel Knight, especially if you're on the path to the true/good ending.

Love both games to bits though :love:

hell is obviously harder than anything in shovel knight but i think even the hard version of final cave is comparable to the tower

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Nate RFB posted:

The endgame of Cave Story is orders of magnitude harder than anything in Shovel Knight, especially if you're on the path to the true/good ending.

Love both games to bits though :love:

As do I but seriously, gently caress the Hell portion of Cave Story to high....yeah. That.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Looper posted:

hell is obviously harder than anything in shovel knight but i think even the hard version of final cave is comparable to the tower

Honestly, the tower didn't take much. I think Cave Story was just a more difficult game.

Penguissimo posted:

That. What a great design though!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Penguissimo posted:

No I wasn't

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Oh hey, my Battle Network Anniversary OST Collection box arrived.

Took a bunch of crappy photos of it here if anyone cares.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Colonel posted:

i gave mega man x7 a try out of morbid curiosity

coming just off of the zero/zx games, there's something unbelievably hilarious about the first five minutes of zero's gameplay. also everything else about the game, mega man x7 is very funny

Play through the whole thing once just to say you've done it. When you get X, you'll drop Axl like a bad habit and use Zero to beat most of the bosses and Sigma's last form.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just announced/confirmed: Yacht Club Games will be publishing Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (Gunvolt 1 & 2) at retail, it'll be out in NA on September 30, $30:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ZeKAJtbt4

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Cool, I'm in for that despite owning the original eshop version of the first game. Plus this lets me justify procastinating on replaying the first game, since iirc you can't take 3DS digital game saves and use them on cart versions?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All of that Freedom Planet talk led to me discovering it was in some Humble Bundle I don't recall purchasing. So I redeemed and installed it.

Playing story mode to find out how bad it is, and... well my main issue (only finished first two levels) is how painfully long the chatty parts are. GET ON WITH IT! It's super anime cliche on top of a strange Chinese Sonic clone. So it's less painful than I expected.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm down for the Striker Pack.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Is the Striker Pack for PC or 3DS?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Augus posted:

Is the Striker Pack for PC or 3DS?

3DS

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Andrigaar posted:

All of that Freedom Planet talk led to me discovering it was in some Humble Bundle I don't recall purchasing. So I redeemed and installed it.

Playing story mode to find out how bad it is, and... well my main issue (only finished first two levels) is how painfully long the chatty parts are. GET ON WITH IT! It's super anime cliche on top of a strange Chinese Sonic clone. So it's less painful than I expected.

For reference, a bunch of the redundant chatty poo poo and such was cut down recently in a patch. A few scenes were minutes longer, if I remember correctly, for no benefit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only reasont hey didn't end up cutting story mode according to one of the devs, apparently, is because they'd spent so much loving time recording all that dialog

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the only reasont hey didn't end up cutting story mode according to one of the devs, apparently, is because they'd spent so much loving time recording all that dialog

if they were that unhappy with it they probably shouldn't have made it the default option

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just announced/confirmed: Yacht Club Games will be publishing Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack (Gunvolt 1 & 2) at retail, it'll be out in NA on September 30, $30:

A Gunvolt anime was announced today too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTQgwT0oWNo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Replying MM9 on Hero Mode. Is there a single more busted weapon in the entire series than Black Hole Bomb? Like, metal blade basically turns you into bass, but black hole bomb is ludicrously cheap for what's effectively a screen clear that, you know, very nearly always works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Replying MM9 on Hero Mode. Is there a single more busted weapon in the entire series than Black Hole Bomb? Like, metal blade basically turns you into bass, but black hole bomb is ludicrously cheap for what's effectively a screen clear that, you know, very nearly always works.

Depends. Jewel Satellite isn't a screen clear but on the other hand is almost functional invincibility.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ImpAtom posted:

Depends. Jewel Satellite isn't a screen clear but on the other hand is almost functional invincibility.

I agree with this... JS was, frankly, too strong. In my opinion, the most balanced rotating shield in the MM games was the Water Shield from 10. It was useful but not impregnable like its MM9 counterpart and used a fairly heavy amount of energy, so you couldn't abuse it either.

Another fantastic and probably overpowered weapon that people tend to forget, probably because the game itself was "meh", is Elecman's weapon from MM1. Does very good damage, works on almost anything, and uses minimal energy (not Metal Blade efficient, but still great) with whole-screen range while firing straight up, straight down and dead ahead with each shot. Whenever I play Wily Wars and I get to the end game bit, I'm never without it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't think anyone forgets about Elecman's Thunder Beam. It was basically the best weapon in MM1 (I think?) and was cool to abuse with that pause trick.

As for shields, I actually always was fond of Skull Barrier from MM4 even if it wasn't used as a shield itself. It was a neat close up attack to hit from all sides around you, which I liked better than the other non-MM9/10 shields which were always awkward to me.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Uh, Junk Shield is the best.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

gandlethorpe posted:

Uh, Junk Shield is the best.

Oh, I remembered Junk Shield, but I still think that the Water Shield is the most balanced, not the most powerful. That honour goes to Jewel Satellite or Junk Shield.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Didn't expect Yacht Club to be getting into publishing so soon. Good on them.

Last Celebration posted:

Metal Blade isn't op because it's directional, it also does insane damage on a bunch of things, including several bosses.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Metal Blade isn't op because it's directional, it also does insane damage on a bunch of things, including several bosses.

And uses almost no weapon energy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of conflicted on Jewel Satellite, not that's it's not great, but it's basically just the Junk Shield in a game that's not super easy until the end.

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree with this... JS was, frankly, too strong. In my opinion, the most balanced rotating shield in the MM games was the Water Shield from 10. It was useful but not impregnable like its MM9 counterpart and used a fairly heavy amount of energy, so you couldn't abuse it either.

Honestly I kind of hate the water shield, at least strictly as a shield. It does crazy good damage unlike every shield but Fire Storm (which given the nature of MM10's weapons, is part of the point) but it can't really block more than one solid hit before it has a big gaping hole in its defenses, so it feels like it's more of a mix of defense and offense. Like I said before, it's drat good at that though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of conflicted on Jewel Satellite, not that's it's not great, but it's basically just the Junk Shield in a game that's not super easy until the end.

Honestly I kind of hate the water shield, at least strictly as a shield. It does crazy good damage unlike every shield but Fire Storm (which given the nature of MM10's weapons, is part of the point) but it can't really block more than one solid hit before it has a big gaping hole in its defenses, so it feels like it's more of a mix of defense and offense. Like I said before, it's drat good at that though.

I will partially agree with you. You can lose two, maybe three bubbles and then you're quite vulnerable.

I maintain that, in general, people overly glorify the weapons from 9 (black hole bomb and jewel satellite are very broken) and take the piss out of 10, mostly because of Thunder Wool which is admittedly rubbish. The Triple Blade is fantastic and Water Shield is quite good - fair's fair. Most Mega Man games have one or two good, memorable weapons, a handful of forgettable ones, and one bit of wank.

Hornet Shot is still brilliant, though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The problem with MM10 weapons is that they all use up way too much energy. Even Thunder Wool might have been decent if it only used up one bar per shot.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

gandlethorpe posted:

The problem with MM10 weapons is that they all use up way too much energy. Even Thunder Wool might have been decent if it only used up one bar per shot.

I honestly can't remember how much juice each weapon takes, so I will have to bow out of that argument. I do remember Water Shield being quite expensive, at least.

My problem with most M&M games is that it's simply too inconvenient to change weapons, so it makes people not want to. I realise that the original NES pad/game boy had very limited options and those games have been emulated and repackaged again and again since, but the SNES and beyond ones did not. Having a more convenient way to switch to sub-weapons makes them more attractive. The general opinion on MM8 is tepid and it is fairly easy for a Mega Man game, but having one button dedicated to a sub-weapon plus being able to switch with the triggers AND being able to buy gear that reduced energy usage meant that I used sub-weapons constantly in that game, and because of that I have a fond opinion if it.* I realise that it's not practical sometimes, but adding time and button presses to a process breaks flow and disincentivises it.

*Also Wood Man

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I don't think there's a way to over glorify 9's roster, every weapon is horrifying effective or useful in its own way, even something like Concrete Shot and Plug Ball that's kind of superfluous would still be outstanding without anything to outshine it. It is pretty hilarious that the three easiest bosses give the best ones though.

10's in retrospect isn't outright terrible, but it's far too gimmicky/utility based (Commando Bomb being a dud unless it's aimed next to an enemy, you could have just made razor wheel a tool, and lol Rebound Striker) and after 9 and the four 16 bit games got it right it's like...ehhh. 2's roster is garbage though, I will say that, so I guess I'm not being fair.

JustJeff88 posted:

My problem with most M&M games is that it's simply too inconvenient to change weapons, so it makes people not want to. I realise that the original NES pad/game boy had very limited options and those games have been emulated and repackaged again and again since, but the SNES and beyond ones did not. Having a more convenient way to switch to sub-weapons makes them more attractive. The general opinion on MM8 is tepid and it is fairly easy for a Mega Man game, but having one button dedicated to a sub-weapon plus being able to switch with the triggers AND being able to buy gear that reduced energy usage meant that I used sub-weapons constantly in that game, and because of that I have a fond opinion if it.* I realise that it's not practical sometimes, but adding time and button presses to a process breaks flow and disincentivises it.
*Also Wood Man

On this, it's worth noting the ports of MM1-4 for the PSN all let you change weapons with the shoulder buttons. They're all in Japanese, but being NES games it affects very little, and the games never poo poo themselves with lag or overlap even if you're using the authentic interface.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think it's a downside that Commando Missile works best when it lands near an enemy, I think that's what makes it cool(and it's a pretty strong weapon with a good deal of utility).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I need to scratch a gaming itch that hasn't been satisfied in a long time. Something familiar yet new, but most importantly fun and long lasting. Since I barely played the Zero games as a kid, I figure I'd crack out the DS I bought second hand a few years ago and never used and play through the series (dropping Z1 when it gets old, of course). Is the DS collection a good buy?

Then after that, I guess I'll go through ZX.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gandlethorpe posted:

I need to scratch a gaming itch that hasn't been satisfied in a long time. Something familiar yet new, but most importantly fun and long lasting. Since I barely played the Zero games as a kid, I figure I'd crack out the DS I bought second hand a few years ago and never used and play through the series (dropping Z1 when it gets old, of course). Is the DS collection a good buy?

Then after that, I guess I'll go through ZX.

i recommend playing zx advent, i wasn't as big on the first zx as i was on zero 3, but advent is like one of the best mega man games ever once you get past how terribly it handles the lives system. the level design is ridiculously tight and the a-trans system is a cool progression on the typical powerup absorption deal

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i recommend playing zx advent, i wasn't as big on the first zx as i was on zero 3, but advent is like one of the best mega man games ever once you get past how terribly it handles the lives system

What's so terrible about the lives system? It's better than getting halfway through a stage in the other MM games and getting a game over because you forgot to suicide after you beat the last one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Last Celebration posted:

What's so terrible about the lives system? It's better than getting halfway through a stage in the other MM games and getting a game over because you forgot to suicide after you beat the last one.

losing the zx thing where missions count as starting a level means if you ever forget to save and you get a game over, you're absolutely hosed. it's good that saving replenishes your lives, but there are less save points than there are in zx and dying usually just means you have to walk back to the start of the level again.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Should I just skip (the first) ZX then?

Will I miss out on important story points?
:goonsay:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gandlethorpe posted:

Should I just skip (the first) ZX then?

Will I miss out on important story points?
:goonsay:

you'll miss out on aile, who's a pretty cool girl mega man, and also a pretty good game that while not as good as zero 3 is still quite good on its own

however, aile won't show up in zx advent if you play as ashe, vent will, which is really that game's core issue

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You'll miss out on Model X, which is amusingly much better than Model ZX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
That double charge shot is a thing of beauty in a game where bosses don't become invincible when hit.