Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

You're all missing the point.

Elon is beheading the SV shitlords, they're all lining up for it, and you're saying it's a bad thing?

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
94 mph autopilot, or, how I learned to stop steering and love Elon's Guillotine

Smythe fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 2, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There was a prostitute in the Bay Area that would OD techies and steal their poo poo. But sadly because she used heroin instead of manufacturing a car and the police stopped her

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Trabisnikof posted:

There was a prostitute in the Bay Area that would OD techies and steal their poo poo. But sadly because she used heroin instead of manufacturing a car and the police stopped her

I just remember that one case with the google employee and the hooker. so what she pulled the same thing with other people? wow

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Smythe posted:

motehr of god

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Stereotype posted:

that truck driver is lucky as poo poo this idiot was using autopilot or else he would be held at fault for making that turn and causing a death.

eh, people pull out in potentially too small a window all the time, they just assume that the oncoming cars are driven by a human actually looking where they're loving going.

like, driving defensively is something everyone and thing should be capable of doing. it's no good being on the right side of the road rules if you're on the wrong side of an improvised guillotine.

the tolerances for any feature calling itself autopilot must be an order of magnitude tighter when employed in a situation where the circumstances can change in seconds like that. there's a world of difference compared to a maritime or aerial autopilot with lower traffic considerations, much longer timespans for interaction due to longer sight via radar, and even with all that you're still required to keep a 100% visual look out at all times because we know what happens when eggs get put in one basket.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

eh, people pull out in potentially too small a window all the time, they just assume that the oncoming cars are driven by a human actually looking where they're loving going.

like, driving defensively is something everyone and thing should be capable of doing. it's no good being on the right side of the road rules if you're on the wrong side of an improvised guillotine.

the tolerances for any feature calling itself autopilot must be an order of magnitude tighter when employed in a situation where the circumstances can change in seconds like that. there's a world of difference compared to a maritime or aerial autopilot with lower traffic considerations, much longer timespans for interaction due to longer sight via radar, and even with all that you're still required to keep a 100% visual look out at all times because we know what happens when eggs get put in one basket.

but uhhh guhhh it's called "autopilot" and the pilot actually has to pay a lot of attention to the airplane when autopilot is on *cheetohs fall out of mouth*

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

personal experience has taught me that truckers are above the law, because my grandmother was killed due to a trucker making an illegal u-turn on the thruway at 5 AM with his lights off, causing my grandpa to slam into the back of the truck at full speed

all he got was a traffic ticket for making an illegal u-turn, something like $100. for killing my grandma.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

personal experience has taught me that truckers are above the law, because my grandmother was killed due to a trucker making an illegal u-turn on the thruway at 5 AM with his lights off, causing my grandpa to slam into the back of the truck at full speed

all he got was a traffic ticket for making an illegal u-turn, something like $100. for killing my grandma.

your grandfather was nikolai tesla???

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

i mentioned the tesla death to an acquaintance and he replied with something along the lines of "worst of all this is going to give politicians all the ammo they need to regulate self-driving car technology progress back decades!" and i rolled my eyes so loving hard they almost fell out of my skull

oh no, things that go 80mph within a few feet of several other people also going 80mph have to meet basic guarantees of safety, whatever will the poor plucky little megacorps do with this burdensome requirement!

"gently caress this guy, not for what he did, but for the inevitable legislative response."

-Elon musk fans

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

atomicthumbs posted:

but uhhh guhhh it's called "autopilot" and the pilot actually has to pay a lot of attention to the airplane when autopilot is on *cheetohs fall out of mouth*

what on earth are you trying to communicate here?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
so why exactly didn't the truck have those metal bars along the sides which prevent vehicles from going under them

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

36 hour shifts -
:allears:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stereotype posted:

Or smashed into a tractor trailer, decapitating him.

it's highly unlikely that a toyota camry would have followed the surface road he was on for miles on end as it turned and such, before crashing into this tractor trailer at high speed

he didn't just stop paying attention for a minute, he was straight up watching a dang movie

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can you imagine tootling along the road and a car passes you by with a headless blood-spurting corpse at the wheel? It pulls up to a safe respectable stop at traffic lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo&t=388s

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 2, 2016

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

graph posted:

tesla is the vaping of cars

Citizen Tayne posted:

I changed my mind. I'm actually a big fan of the car that kills rich dumb people.

Smythe posted:

im lomarfing big time

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

what on earth are you trying to communicate here?

tesla fanboys are already saying that tesla's marketing is not bad because an autopilot actually requires significant attention, knowledge, and control from a pilot, but nobody who doesn't have some sort of interest in airplanes actually knows that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

that truck driver is lucky as poo poo this idiot was using autopilot or else he would be held at fault for making that turn and causing a death.

for reals

crashes involving heavy vehicles cause an outsized number of fatalities for their occurrence and unsurprisingly rarely kill the trucker

you see this w/ trains too which is why rail crossings are so nuts w/ safety equipment

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

something like this happened to a friend of mine's grandma and her gramps now calls the sheriff's office or state police on truckers all the time whenever they're speeding or doing anything even slightly illegal

the cops seems to genuinely love it but that prolly has more to do w/ broke police agencies than anything else

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stereotype posted:

so its the chip and pin of driving

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i like to think he looked up from harry potter and saw the truck and was like hell yeah this will make a great autopilot video, then like 4 seconds before was like hmm this will be close but if i get in a fender bender bc of autopiloti can somehow use that to my benefit, then a split second before impact realized it was maybe a bad idea

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I pray they will find the dashcam

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
VERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CREDIT CARD INTO A HANDHELD READER. ITS AN AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM CARD AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START PUNCHING IN MY PIN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SOME NUMBERS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PAID FOR A TRAIN TICKET WITH THE COUNTRY'S MOST DANGEROUS LINE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN THE 'POS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN YOSPOS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY COMMUTE LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qntm posted:

so why exactly didn't the truck have those metal bars along the sides which prevent vehicles from going under them

so, um. yeah. About those.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FYI the dead Tesla guy, Joshua Brown, is from a Pittsburgh suburb six miles away from me. Pittsburgh is in everything.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh. Well, maybe it was a suicide after all

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

qntm posted:

why do you think a thin metal bar would stop a 2 1/2 ton car hitting it perpendicularly at 80 mph?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

truckers on the east coast are insane

like texas is terrible in pretty much every way but i never got boxed in by four 18-wheelers like i did in north carolina

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Oh. Well, maybe it was a suicide after all

You fucker.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

in one of the DLCs to Fallout New Vegas there's enemies that are just synthetic muscle suits that had a bug in them which caused them to wander aimlessly, person still inside, forever. when you get to them they're all just skeletons but the suits are still wandering around and defending their "occupants" from you.

this is what i'm imagining self-driving cars will become

https://vimeo.com/67768281

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Josh Browns body sits a-moulderin' in his seat
but his tesla's drivin' on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

so, um. yeah. About those.

are those the ones that, when designed according to the federal standard, are totally inadequate for their purpose?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

are those the ones that, when designed according to the federal standard, are totally inadequate for their purpose?

prettttty sure they're only on the back of the trailer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i didnt even realize that the teslas were self driving cars

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Legally theyre not and elon musk will never admit it. but everybody knows you can throw on autopilot and jerk off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They aren't, but Tesla is happy to let people keep on believing it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Josh Browns body sits a-moulderin' in his seat
but his tesla's drivin' on

ghost rider reboot looking too grim

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sniep posted:

i didnt even realize that the teslas were self driving cars
they'll self-drive you for the rest of your life

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Satellit3 posted:

im lomarfing big time

quote:

On YouTube, there are multiple videos showing drivers with their hands off the wheel. Musk has advised against this. However, one of the videos was uploaded by actress Talulah Riley, Musk’s second wife.

this is an intricate plot for elon musk to kill his wife and collect on the insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Condiv posted:

this is an intricate plot for elon musk to kill his wife and collect on the insurance

wouldnt surprise me. he put five in vitro babies in his first long-suffering wife and promptly divorced her for 18 year old model Tallulah. now every time you see the "Cool" rear third row seating in the teslas, you'll be reminded of their inspiring origin story of the broken family headed by a narcissist.

• Locked thread