Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

dog kisser posted:

edit: Bringing FOOF to a town we're trying to save from being burned up/destroyed seems counterproductive. like an ironic self-fulfilling prophecy
Then it is what Toil wanted, so we better go nuke that place now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Fine

Don't bring foof
Bring a bunch of powder packets for melting robots
Bring x2 cupcakes because they've been pretty useful

Ok, new foof bomb plan: Bottle of foof surrounded by powder in a larger container. Shoot it with a crossbow from cover.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Bring Foof, dig shallow pit traps, place foof inside

Improvised land mines that confine and redirect explosive force. (More dangerous for things in pit, less so for everyone else.)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Or use our sneaky thief type human to sneakily sneak I to automotive and leave a bottle of foof on top of the command compartment door hinge.

"They're power up!"
*FOOF*
"Nope! No they're not! "

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The Ferry to Fehgis

All possible preparations prepared, you leave your den of accounting for another day and gather your party for the forthcoming venture. Today will see you ride the ferry 'cross the River Ennui, final destination, Harst.

But the Ferry just crosses the River, and Harst is far away. Instead you come ashore in the unsavoury docks of Fehgis, Sister town to Braav. It is a doleful place, a town whats principle export might as well be shady alleyways, suspicious rumours and clandestine meetings.

Yet many more proper industries call Fehgis their home, most prominent amongst them “Totes' Legit Business Practices and other Assorted Ventures into Experteering” - a mouthful to be sure.
The local populace just calls its Totes Legit, and do so often for the eponymous Mr Totes has his hands in almost every pie. Magnate and Mayor, Mr Totes has claimed his position the last ten years running in what his political opponents describe as “an election.”

Official Portrait

From the many stores, shoppes and establishments franchised under The Tote name, a would be adventurer could collect almost anything he could desire for a modest coin.
And probably some things he shouldn't as well, but as you no longer work for the Ministry of Trade that is no longer your immediate concern.

And so, after paying a small but non trivial bribe donating generously to the local orphanage you are free to continue your journey through the heartland of your region, setting yourself at last on the final stretch of your Journey.

---

You spent little time in either city, and so as the day ends and the night begins your doomsday timer ticks down to Seven.
You guesstimate it will take you another four days to reach Harst, for you cannot go all out and cross the more rugged terrain without losing horses and friends to horrible explosions, but that should still leave you with three days to save the city.

1: What, if anything, do you spend your precious little free time doing, when you are not busy riding? Whom do you talk to when you are? Does your mouth still water at the cupcakes in your pack?
What topics might wander over the campfire at night, and what special precautions do you take if any, whilst travelling?

A: I have a detailed list of things to do!
Write-in.

B: Lets take a detour from this Side-Quest! Monsters Monthly speaks of many monsters inhabiting your region, perhaps you could find one and kill it for sport?
[Will lead to a separate vote]

C: Hurry Up already!
Take me to Harst, Toil Demands it!

---

[Party Equipment Summary]

All in all, beyond your standard adventuring gear, you brought with you:
02 x Bottles of FOOF (leaving 03 behind) increasing your Load by 01.
02 x Flasks of highly pressurized acid (leaving 01 behind) increasing your Load by 01.
02 x Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes (leaving 07 behind)
01 x Pouches of Flash-Heat-Powder (leaving none behind, though your other companions are bringing the rest of the bag with them when they return in a few days)
01 x Flash Dried Salmonster Jerky Rations
For a total Load of [06], reaching the Medium Load tier, causing your band to slow down a little.

[Misc Info]
Month 2, Week 4, Day Six
Seven Days Remaining

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: "Ach, even mounted on our fastest horse, I dinnae trust what chemical concoctions that gnome has brewed fer ye, even if it be our only hope at bestin' the holy automatae."
Abigail: "Man this jerky is awesome! Your the best, Thorgrim!"
Khami: "A leader leads, a soldier follows, but without sound strategy they both shall flounder."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

C

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This, exactly. Let's get a move on.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
C. Ignore any suspicious orange trees on the way to Harst.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A
1) Buy nice small gifts for all our teammates, stuff of equal value so it doesn't look like we're buying Salamander Lady a gift because we like-like her.
2) Get going already!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
C

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
C

If we are doing a God Quest for charity, let's at least do it well. Toil would certainly appreciate focusing on the task at hand, and only stopping to rest after work is done.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

C - on the road again :choco:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Getting On With It

Oh what variety of wonders you pass along the way, here undescribed for your pleasure. Small villages, more collections of houses huddled together for safety in the wilderness and endless fields of Bad Duck Wice™ their intricacies lost in the blur as you speed them by.
Even your nights are hasty, dreamless affairs, and each morning you wake tired and aching. The ceaseless travel will take its toll, but with so much on the line, you'll just have to make do.

At last, four days later you see Harst stretch out before you: the largest city you have ever seen. Many thousands call this place their home, could it really all be scheduled for destruction??

As you approach you see no signs of combat, hear not the siren of alarm. The great Ironworks are still standing, and the city itself seems preoccupied with life as usual.

---

Achievement get? In the nick of time!
Got to harsh before the troubles started!

---

You think back to the vision...

Toil? posted:

“Three days west-northwest of Braav, beyond the River Ennui, lies the township of Jauntyville. It is home to a large factory, the workings of which is important to the Empire at large. A dwarvish ironworker will have fallen, going amok and claiming the factory as his own.
With the aid of master crafted automata he is will be having laid siege to the city itself from within. You have two weeks before the city is consumed by fire.”

The city of Harst is divided into two districts: Suttur Place and Jauntyville, with the later being home to most of the industry and other NIMBYs and the former housing most of the citizenry.
Several churches adorn the city, all the gods represented in one way or another, but the ironwork is by far the largest and most roads into and out of Harst pass it by.

1: In short; You have arrived. Nothing is on fire yet, however, so just barging in and smashing up the automatons and killing whoever looks maddest without explanation would land you in heaps of trouble, godly vision or not.
Perhaps you could talk to someone, investigate the factory or find some other way to spend the time here?
What now?

A: Plan Kvelar
Get to the factory. Talk to someone in charge, the high priest perhaps?

B: Plan Heartless Monster Hunter
Dark thoughts have followed you on the way to harsh. Thoughts on how, if possible, you could stand to profit. Ah, if only Konnie was here, you are sure he would know what to do.  Still, you have, what, three days?
Maybe you could find some unsavory types in that time and make a friendly wager? Or scout out some nobles mansion or large, rich looking business that won't be guarded as the city burns. Write-ins welcome.

C: Plan watch it burn
You like fire, you realize. A whole lot. Maybe that was why Toil sent you here? To look at the fire?

D: Plan responsible citizen
Find the local head of government, the chief of the guard or anyone that seems in charge. Tell them what's going on. Begin evacuating the city.

E: Plan Abigail
Maybe you SHOULD just barge in there and smash everything.

F: Something else?
As usual you can talk to anyone in your party or anyone you could reasonably get an appointment with in the current city.
Write in

---

02 x Flasks of highly pressurized acid (leaving 01 behind) increasing your Load by 01.
01 x Pouches of Flash-Heat-Powder (leaving none behind, though your other companions are bringing the rest of the bag with them when they return in a few days)
For a total Load of [06], reaching the Medium Load tier, causing your band to slow down a little.

[Misc Info]
Month 3, Week 1, Day Three
Three Days Remaining

Travel Gear Summary]
Your rations are well-stocked and extra tasty.
Your supplies are adequate.
Your equipment is nearly adequate, in need of minor repairs.]
Your Load is [Light] at 04 points. [Medium] at 06 points and [Heavy] at 08
Currently, you have a [Medium] load of 06 points, meaning you move slightly slower.

[Wealth Summary]
You have [01 Wealth] remaining.
At the end of this month, you will owe [07 wealth] in salaries and upkeep.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 21, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A - This is sensible, and if they don't listen we can go from there.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A

Be a good little dwarf and take it from there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A, but I really hope the person we talk to isn't the soon-to-be arsonist, or else we're just as likely to kick off the fun as stop it. ("poo poo, they're on to me! Initiate Plan Cylon!")

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

D

The guy in A choice could be the villain

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Nyaa posted:

D

The guy in A choice could be the villain

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A, but I really hope the person we talk to isn't the soon-to-be arsonist, or else we're just as likely to kick off the fun as stop it. ("poo poo, they're on to me! Initiate Plan Cylon!")

Yeah, I thought about this, but eh, let's risk it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What if we split our team for A and D?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
AD

Nyaa posted:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Nyaa posted:

I like this idea.Voting AD.
We can trust our employees to deliver a bloody message, I would hope.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Splitting the Team

As a reminder, for this Vision Quest the party members available to you are the following:

Abigail

Feisty Quarterstaff-using Duck Girl
Prone to Battle Rage
Creative Interpreter of Orders
Never Gives Up
Party Role: Fighter

Kvelar

Experienced Axedwarf
Ex Adventurer
Very Serious
Co-Owner of ITEC
Also Your Cousin
Party Role: Tank, Ranged Fighter

Khami

Stoic Mysterious Chain Warrior
Cautious
Air of Wisdom
Party Role: Support

For those of you voting A + D, who do you send, and where?
Keep in mind that, out of all of ITEC, only Thorgrim (that is to say, You, the Player) is the only one who has received a vision, as well as the only person of any real authority in the group as you hold the Official Guild License. Getting Abigail into the majors office on her lonesome might prove a difficult task for instance, and even if she got there what would she do beside deliver your message? Also to consider, what would you do if you where attacked with only half the party present?

You are of course free to do what you will.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Me and abigail go to government.

The serious and cautious duo go to factory

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It seems to that if we murder every Dwarf in jauntytown then no dwarf can destroy jauntytown. Or, better yet, if we take control of the factory then the other dwarf won't be able to take control of the factory. If that means we end up destroying the city well, at least we fulfilled Toil's vision!

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Nyaa posted:

I vote for this but yes, we're probably certainly setting the ball of causality rolling here. At least we came prepared for a mechanotitanic deathmatch.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Nyaa posted:

But what if the Factory Boss really IS the evil dwarf? You are sending our team to a less balanced fight.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think the vision said that it was one of the lower level workers at the factory who caused the trouble, not the boss?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Mr. Nemo posted:

You are sending our team to a less balanced fight.
They don't have to fight? If they are as cautious and serious, they could escape ...Unless the factory have a lock down mode.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Taken that we are a Dwarven Accountant, D is the obvious choice here. Let's do our duty as a responsible citizen, via the proper channels, no shortcuts. If Godly Visions are a known thing, as we are led to assume, I am fairly certain that the Empire has standing protocols in place when some CHOSEN HERO arrives just in time with their divine vision to warn of a devilish plot about to unfold.

We can do A if this does not work out, but we definitely should start with the government first, since A carries the risk of actually informing the perpetrator as others have noted.

Also, please do not split the party when there exists a chance of vicious iron golem attack.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Theantero posted:

Also, please do not split the party when there exists a chance of vicious iron golem attack.
I am pretty sure we can't beat a golem even with a full party. It's would be easier to escape in smaller group.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Nyaa posted:

I am pretty sure we can't beat a golem even with a full party. It's would be easier to escape in smaller group.

Also we can't count on Abigail to run away so it's probably better to keep her close and manageable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hello Overseerer dude, I am a dwarf who had a vision from Toil that a dwarf is going to wreck your poo poo in a day or two. I just rode four days straight to tell you this. Either I'm a legitimate crazy person or I'm telling the truth. That's your decision to make and I don't have the interest and you don't have the time to argue otherwise. I have a lot of work to do so is there anything else you want us for or can I be on my way?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Splitting the Party

If you are to believe the prophecy, you have another three days until 'the city is consumed by fire'. Even if you know roughly where everything will go down that still doesn't leave you with that much time to try to prevent it.
You decide the best course of action would be splitting the party, ordering Kvelar and Khami to check out the factory whilst you and Abigail try to find someone in charge.

---

Two things struck all those who entered the great harsh ironworks; the heat and the noise. Vats of molten iron bubbled here and there, waiting for great slime encrusted moulds for into which to pour their contents.
All around a frenzy of activity, a hundred Imperial citizens preparing the Empire for war.

Above and among them loomed the automata, holy machines wrought from metal, given form and purpose to accomplish what mortal flesh could not. Each was unique and priceless, a scared work of art.

---

The atmosphere in the civil district could not be any more different. Instead of a constant wall of sound; of hammers on anvils and the lumbering steps of artificial giants, there was the near silent susurration of the shuffling of sensible slimepaper.
The sweet song of birds, the careful rhetoric of the elite. Here, the most imposing figure was not of metal but of stone, the large and finely decorated building which housed the more important members of the local government in session.
Armed guards barred entrance, but they quickly relented when presented with The Vision, something clearly above their paygrade.

---

After about ten minutes of lounging in a remarkably comfortable waiting room, Thramalin Carter, Arch Constable of Harst and its surrounding villages comes out to greet you.
With him is a scarred man with a thick iron collar, by all accounts some petty criminal serving his debt to society as a life-guard or carryall to the nobleman in front of you.
As you again explain your vision, the slave smirks although the levity is quickly reprimanded with the aid of the thick wooden staff of office carried by Mr. Carter.

---

Divination is a simple, every day affair in Rim. One of the more common methods is a Quackinite Ritual whereupon a layman simply purchases the truth from the Cleric to Quackeen. Such a ritual is what you are now undergoing.

Two statements, one confirming and other denying are written down on paper and placed into opaque jars in the priests possession. The jars are then withdrawn from view and then once more offered to the questioner without further comment or chance of inspection.
Whichever jar is purchased will contain the statement that is true. It is impossible to make the wrong choice, as long as you have the means to pay the price. Such is the might of Quackeen.

---

Mr. Carter agrees that the situation is dire, but cannot commit to evacuating an entire city when there might still be chance of avoiding the prophesied fate entirely. Neither is he willing to shut down the factory, for he fears a fate worse than fire should the monthly quotas fail to be filled.
Instead, he commends you for bringing him the news and hands you a token and letter-of-conduct with which you should be able to gain free access to the Ironworks and backup in the form of up to four members of the guard, should the culprit prove unruly.
When you remind him of the Automata present in the factory, he goes quiet for a moment and rescinds your new documentation, updating the quantity to allow for six guardsmen before handing it back. “Any more would just get in the way. Do Try not to get them killed.” He mutters.

At no point during your meeting with Mr. Carter does anyone suggest that he should be the one to oversee things, for such is not the nature of your quest. It would be unwise indeed to go against the judgement of God, and Toil has clearly meant for you to play some part in what is to come.

---

A while later you meet up once more with your crew. They managed to gain entry but the foreman was far too busy to see them, as was everyone else inside. They did however map out the area for you, making sure to note anything that might be of significance if it should come to fighting. What comes next is up to you.

1: Do you...

A: March back to the factory with your new right of way?
Demand to see the foreman, or anyone else that might be in charge. You WILL find someone there to talk too, and wont take no for an answer.

B: A, but bring all the guards you can muster.

C: Get back to the factory and do some scouting of your own.
Perhaps they are busy for a reason, beyond the quotas the Arch Constable spoke off.
Are they hiding something? Has it already begun?

D; C, but again, bring all the guards you can muster. Just in-case.

E: Get More Help.
You know something is about to go down, you just don't know when. You have [01 wealth] to your name, perhaps you could find another mercenary to help you out? A large city like this is bound to have a few people looking for a good fight and good coin besides.

E: Wait it out.
Come back tomorrow, do something else. Wait for things to change.

It is a large city. You can find most anything here, should you know where to look.

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “A dozen automata prowl those halls, ye ken. Yet four seemed stationary, leaving eight. They are all different mind, yet most seem made for the pourin' and the poudin.
The walkways are narrow though, leaving room for ambush lest they go for the walls and pillars what hold the place high. I doubt our blades would cut them, however.”
Abigail: “Perhaps we could lay some traps? Or jump on them from the catwalks? Oooor maybe there is a way to get control of the big old tin-men before they do any harm!”
Khami: “In theatre as in life, who holds the strings must the burden bear.”

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

A
I like Abigail's idea. How are the big ole tin men controlled? We should ask the foreman for pertinent information about them and who has the keys, etc.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A. Figure out how to stop the automada for at least one day.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We know what day it's going to happen, on that day decree that no dwarf may enter an auto, and have a few angry surly men on each one in case they try something.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

We know what day it's going to happen, on that day decree that no dwarf may enter an auto, and have a few angry surly men on each one in case they try something.

That works for me. But make it a mandatory unpaid vacation where no one may enter one. Also, meet the foreman.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Right of Way

Armed with your token of authority, you make your way back to the factory. Though it pains him to leave his work for even a minute, the Foreman eventually concedes to your request.

Distressing, distressing, but what is there to be done? Toil is Silent to me on the matter. Work work, we must not tarry. Must meet the quotas set before us by the Empire. You are tasked with stopping this catastrophe, yes?
Then find the dwarf responsible! I cannot be away from my station!

---

You continue your investigation, focusing on finding dwarven workers with access to the Automata, in truth your only lead. Fortunately it is a good one, for precious few have such a privilege.
Aside from the foreman himself, there is the Chief Engineer whose work requires it of him. Whereas the Foreman oversees operations of the plant at large, this dwarf makes sure the Foremans' orders come to pass.
His is the job of translating quotas to moulds, and moulds to product.

Hm? You have need of me? I am a busy man, so much to build, so little time! The Automata? Why yes, In my work I often interact with them, guiding them as it where over the blueprints of our craft that they might serve us best.

---

Finally, the rank of Golem Wrangler falls upon several mid-tier acolytes of this Church of Iron, though only one of them is a dwarf.
A Golem Wrangler oversees workplace safety, schedules movement of the slower or self-imobile automata and in general maintains their upkeep.

Huh? Yeah.. Golems. Uh, what did you want? Did something happen? You should talk to one of the higher ups then, I'm just a worker.

---

There are others, of course, but with hundreds of cogs in this great machine you don't have time to question them all. These three individuals seem the most likely culprits, though you of course cannot be certain.

1: What now? You are free to question any of the people described here, or anyone else in the factory or in Harst in general.

A: Arrest Someone
Keep them locked up for four days. If they turn into raving lunatics, the city will probably be saved. If you get the wrong guy, terrible consequences might occur! Also people will be mad at you. Like, real mad.
You don't really have the authority to arrest more than one person for that long, and depending on who you arrest there might be other consequences as well.

B: Plan Outrail/RandomPaul
Collect the Guardsmen and prohibit any dwarf from entering the factory on the prophesied day, forcing them to endure mandatory unpaid vacation. Arrest any dwarf that comes near, aside from yourself or Kvelar of course.
But maybe stay out of the factory anyway just to be safe. Replace the dwarven workers with temporary duck-workers or whomever will take the job, so as not to lose progress on the important works therein.
Likely to meet with resentment from the local dwarven community, especially those working in the factory. Still, if it works and you save the day perhaps they will forgive you?

C: Investigate the Automata
Figure out how they are controlled and what can be done to stop them should they turn on you.

D: Wait it out
Find an inn, go to sleep. See if anything is different tomorrow.

It is a large city. You can find most anything here, should you know where to look.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

When's this thing supposed to gk down? The day after tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Couldn't we ask the Quackeen priest 3 sets of true/false questions to determine if any of these people are involved?