Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Day two of test driving:

Subaru Outback - it's a Subaru, it's very Subaru. 3.6 is quick and accelerates smooth and good.

Honda Pilot - has all of the features, great size. Rear seats and third row are usable. Numb steering, hard shifting. Very comfortable cruising. Incredible turn radius. Radio is all touch screen.

Ford Explorer - dumb, smaller than expected. Shouldn't even have a third row, it ruins the second row. Salesman said don't get it if you have a baby seat because it will suck.

Ford Flex - spacious, felt like driving a box truck.

Right now we are going over pros and cons of the Mazda CX-9 and the Honda Pilot. They seem to have offsetting qualities. Both seem great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Did you try a GMC Acadia or one of it's badge engineered brethren?

It's awfully uninspiring to me but my wife seems to like them a lot. Trying to get her to drive some other things before buying one.

I'm curious on your comparison on those to what you've already driven. I can say I like them more than the Pilot.

And Explorers are right out. They really are as bad and worse than you said.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

Did you try a GMC Acadia or one of it's badge engineered brethren?

It's awfully uninspiring to me but my wife seems to like them a lot. Trying to get her to drive some other things before buying one.

I'm curious on your comparison on those to what you've already driven. I can say I like them more than the Pilot.

And Explorers are right out. They really are as bad and worse than you said.

GM is doing a Blazer/Trailblazer thing with the Acadia. There's a 2017 Acadia which is a unique GMC vehicle and shares a new platform with the Cadillac XT5 and Buick Envision, but they are keeping the 2016 Lambda based Acadia in production as the "Acadian Limited". They are 2 entirely different cars, the new Acadia is almost a foot shorter and 800lbs lighter and can be had with a 2.5l I4. Looks like an Infiniti Durango.

There's a new Pilot too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is doing a Blazer/Trailblazer thing with the Acadia.

Interesting. I was looking at a couple of 2015s and 2016s, not the new ones so I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up!

(I rarely buy new cars. Rarely means once, and I kept it for about 12 years - still not really worth it)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I didn't look at the Acadia or the Chevy whatever. General reviews just didn't seem to be that high up there.

I did try the Ford Edge actually, forgot that one. It was alright. I wouldn't say anything stood out or anything was particularly bad. ICE COLD AC. Like a freezer, it was great. I drove the 4-cyl Turbo, torque steer was worse than my old Grand Prix GTP. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, just a reasonable car.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 1, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not an American car or an SUV kind of guy, but I was really, really impressed with my rides in a Ford Flex. Seem like great SUV-equivalents if they will work for you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Flex owns. Get the 2nd row console with a fridge.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I went and did some test drives, and I think the Prius is right up my alley. I was also looking at possibly splashing a little more, are the Camry hybrids going to have as reliable a powertrain as the Prius?

I'm basically going to follow IOwnCalculus's guide, because I am a total noob at this. Which of the add on fees are actually legit in California? Sales tax and doc?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I wouldn't worry about which fees are legit or not, especially if you use his guide. Always ask them for the out the door price, all fees included. That way it doesn't matter to you if they charge 10k in fees and 10k for the car vs 19500 for the car and 500 in fees, either way you're paying 20k out the door.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I was in a car accident last night and it appears that my car will be totalled from this. I don't have the rental reimbursement on my insurance, and have to uber around until I can get a new car. I have around 9000 in savings that I can use, or I have good credit and could take out a small loan. What course of action should I take? What kind of discount could I negotiate by paying with cash? Also, what kind of cars should I be looking at?

Proposed Budget: 8000-12000
New or Used: used
Body Style: 4 door sedan
How will you be using the car?: General commuting, some day trips.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, good traction, maybe 4wd/awd, reasonable mpg and cost of ownership

I'm currently looking at the toyota camry or prius, and honda accord or civic. What else should I consider? Thank you for any help.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ those 3 fit the bill pretty much perfectly. Maybe toss the camary and corolla in there, depending on the year the civic (11 and 12) can be pretty behind its time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I went and did some test drives, and I think the Prius is right up my alley. I was also looking at possibly splashing a little more, are the Camry hybrids going to have as reliable a powertrain as the Prius?

I'm basically going to follow IOwnCalculus's guide, because I am a total noob at this. Which of the add on fees are actually legit in California? Sales tax and doc?

I'd skip the Camry Hybrid. Actually, scratch that, the only Camry Hybrid I'd look at is a used Lexus ES 300h; however, I'm an AI regular, sooooo don't be like me.

Just grab a Prius. You're going to have to navigate your local taxes on your own, though. The Prius should be good for a very, very long while.

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I was in a car accident last night and it appears that my car will be totalled from this. I don't have the rental reimbursement on my insurance, and have to uber around until I can get a new car. I have around 9000 in savings that I can use, or I have good credit and could take out a small loan. What course of action should I take? What kind of discount could I negotiate by paying with cash? Also, what kind of cars should I be looking at?

Proposed Budget: 8000-12000
New or Used: used
Body Style: 4 door sedan
How will you be using the car?: General commuting, some day trips.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, good traction, maybe 4wd/awd, reasonable mpg and cost of ownership

I'm currently looking at the toyota camry or prius, and honda accord or civic. What else should I consider? Thank you for any help.

What sort of excellent credit are we talking? A check is just as good as cash, and there are no real cash discounts to be heard of; the only scenario where cash matters (note: not a discount) is in the rare/weird/good-deal used market where you're frantically emailing a dude on CL "I WILL BUY THIS CAR IN 25 MINUTES, I HAVE THE CASH ON HAND RIGHT NOW". Buying a Civic, Accord, Camry, or Prius doesn't fall into this category.

I'd suggest you take a look at PenFed Credit Union. They currently have 1.99% financing on used cars, so I think you should be able to park your money somewhere to cover the few hundred dollars in interest. I picked up a 2006 Silverado back in January and PenFed had 1.49% for 36 months. The $5500 bank note is going to accrue $125 in interest over the entire life of the loan.

Do some math to figure out what's best for you.

Highwalker
Jun 30, 2006

Wanderer Above the Mist
Proposed Budget: ~30k, no leases
New or used: Either
Body style: Hatchback/SUV/Crew Cab Pickup, 4 doors
Use: Commuting, road trips, maybe moving some things like bikes and boxes. Usually 2 people in the car, rarely 2+, no kids, no plans.
Important to me: Power, long term (5-7 year) quality, reasonable TCO, middle of the road MPG (20-30), comfortable seats, Bluetooth, preferably automatic (NO CVT), cruise control
Unimportant to me: Driver assistance, leather, fancy electronic and luxury accoutrements, AWD

I currently own a 2006 350z Touring (with an automatic, yes I am a heathen) with 78k miles and I would like to move on to something that has more utility. As much as I would love to just keep my 350z and add to my car stable, I've chosen to live the apartment life and I don't want to have to deal with keeping two cars sitting around. A full size truck is also right out, as I don't want to navigate a boat through a parking garage.

The few cars that have caught my interest are a new Crew Cab SR5 Tacoma, a used Nissan Xterra, and a new 2017 VW Golf GTI Sport. I've also considered a used BMW X1 or X3 or a Nissan Frontier. My pipe dream would be a nicely equipped BMW 2 series, but alas they are hard to come by here in Texas. I'm not a fan of crossovers, or front wheel drive cars even though yes, the GTI is on my short list. I have test driven the Xterra and the GTI w/ PP. Coming from a sporty touring car, they were alright.

So I'm looking for something that will last me at least 5 years, not just mechanically but also practically, and keep me from dying of boredom while driving. I'll venture a guess that most everyone will say get the GTI, though. What else should I be looking at out there?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You should probably buy an Accord Crosstour but you must not be a very picky driver if you think a Tacoma or Frontier or some other live axle boat is "fun" in any way. Even the most sedate family sedan handles like a super race car compared to any truck.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you buy a GTI, you're really dumb. The GTI is the poster child for "lease, don't buy".

Highwalker
Jun 30, 2006

Wanderer Above the Mist

Throatwarbler posted:

You should probably buy an Accord Crosstour but you must not be a very picky driver if you think a Tacoma or Frontier or some other live axle boat is "fun" in any way. Even the most sedate family sedan handles like a super race car compared to any truck.

I understand sacrificing the fun for practicality when I include a Tacoma or Frontier on my list. I would say they're more... long term oriented in the event I end up living in a house 2+ years down the road. I also live in North Texas, where finding a twisty is some sort of miracle, so fun is mostly putting my foot down or taking a 25mph on ramp at 45-50.

You buy the tool for the environment.

Highwalker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 2, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, you should totally buy a truck for the off chance in 2 years that you might buy a house and need to buy something large and bulky at a home center.

That's why I bought a 15 seat passenger van because I'm thinking in the future of maybe having kids and that I might want to go on a skiing trip up to the mountains.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are 4th of July sales real or can I get just as good a price anytime?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FogHelmut posted:

I think the mfrs do have certain dates for clearing out the previous year's inventory, and on those dates you would have more deals, but it probably isn't the 4th of July.

http://www.chevrolet.com/sales.html

So *now* what's your excuse for not buying a manual SS you assholes?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm curious, why is everyone so quick to recommend the Prius? Is it because it's a hybrid, or because recent competition with electric cars has caused a decrease in demand (and dealers wanting to move them more), or something else?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm curious, why is everyone so quick to recommend the Prius? Is it because it's a hybrid, or because recent competition with electric cars has caused a decrease in demand (and dealers wanting to move them more), or something else?

They are best-ever reliable, cheap to own, and there are a million bazillion of them, so you can always find the one you want, and can walk away from any price shenanigans, because there is another just like it within 50 feet of you. They are reasonably big on the inside and reasonably small on the outside.

They aren't fun or exciting, but as a driving appliance, there isn't anything better.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also because its a hybrid. Hybrids are pretty awesome! There's so much tech and clever design in the Prius hybrid drivetrain that I find it much more interesting than loving Lambos or whatever which are all just some variation of "make oily bits of metal spin faster/harder because rich people don't care about reliability".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Toyota over-engineered the absolute gently caress out of the Prius because back when it came out people were distrustful of hybrids, but they did it to the point that even if you don't give a poo poo about the hybrid factor (but you should), it's just such an amazingly reliable, durable, cheap to maintain, ubiquitous vehicle if what you want is a driving appliance of reasonable car size there is literally nothing better. The competition with pure EVs isn't even a factor - most people can't make use of them realistically.

The Prius is just the bee's knees if you want efficiency, reliability, and reasonable cost of ownership and don't especially care about fun.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's also proof of why all those German car apologists are wrong when they insist that German cars are unreliable because they have more technology or whatever. Cutting edge technology doesn't have to be unreliable, look at the Prius. No, your Audi is unreliable because Audi is just terrible at making cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

It's also proof of why all those German car apologists are wrong when they insist that German cars are unreliable because they have more technology or whatever. Cutting edge technology doesn't have to be unreliable, look at the Prius. No, your Audi is unreliable because Audi is just terrible at making cars.

My dad's 2006 AWD Infiniti M with 200,000mi still has functioning everything including an infotainment system (with bluetooth, that was loving cutting edge then) and air conditioned seats, and Nissan is the loving Chrysler of Japan. Explain yourselves BMW/Audi/Mercedes. I did need stupid expensive shocks, but apparently that's because no one makes aftermarket AWD M shocks). One of the dress up pieces on the exhaust tips fell off too.
Interior is in good shape too, which is more than you can say for peeling Audi trim.

My mom's Prius will also last for loving ever. Her first one had like 160k mi and only died due to a some pickup running a light.

Admittedly, not all of Japan is doing so hot: I'm looking at you legacy GT wagon with 2 engine and transmission rebuilds. loving subaru.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 6, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FogHelmut posted:

It really depends on the manufacturer incentives going at the time you want to buy. The 2017's are starting to hit the lots for some manufacturers, as 2017 production ramps up expect better incentives to be released on the 2016's to get rid of old inventory. There's a lot of variables.

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't want one :colbert:

There's 10 near me though, all 20% off. All have Auto trannys but thats OK with me. Tempting to go look at one.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 6, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Proposed Budget: $20,000 OTD or less.

New or Used: Probably used given our budget, ideally 2-3 years old max

Miles Driven: Less than 10K a year.

Body Style: 4 door small SUV, crossover or wagon

How will you be using the car?: Soccer mom mobile. Replacing a 90's Camry as the primary family car. Some short road trips. No towing. Don't care about luxury or options other than safety features. AWD is OK but not necessary, FWD is just fine too. We want cloth seats and few gizmos other than something relatively new.

What aspects are most important to you? Safety - IIHS+ top safety pick would be nice. I don't care about import vs domestic. Would prefer something in the smaller range for the category, ie Rav4 is OK but 4Runner is probably too big. I would prioritize reliability over TCO over MPG.

We have already test driven and liked the Mazda CX-5 with the 2.5L engine and the Toyota Prius V. I thought the Prius was a little underpowered but acceptable. What else should we be cross shopping? Next on the list to check out are Rav4, Outback and Forester. I'm not opposed to buying new either, if anyone has any recommendations that fit the budget. Seems like the advertised prices I've found for newer used cars are hardly lower than new prices would be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
CR-V

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Now that I think about it, I have no idea why, but I had mentally written off the CR-V as inferior. I'll add to the list, thanks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What would be a good price for a Prius, between 5 and 10 years old? I see even a few from 2002 but am suspicious as their pricing seems, at under 3k, a bit low?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Throatwarbler posted:

Man, this! However German car brands sure have better marketing which means 90% of the general population don't get this.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cowslips Warren posted:

What would be a good price for a Prius, between 5 and 10 years old? I see even a few from 2002 but am suspicious as their pricing seems, at under 3k, a bit low?

We should have specified, 2004 or later Prius. The first generation cars are much worse, and a 2002 car could have been sold in '01 and be 15 years old now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Any thoughts on this?

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/2HGFB2F51EH534535/2014-honda-civic-sedan/

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Throatwarbler posted:

I think the mfrs do have certain dates for clearing out the previous year's inventory, and on those dates you would have more deals, but it probably isn't the 4th of July.

http://www.chevrolet.com/sales.html

A: I had no idea GM released a full sized rwd sedan with a V8 that wasn't a Caddy. It looks tight and if I was shopping it would go on the short list.

B: My area only has automatics in stock :argh:

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

CannonFodder posted:

A: I had no idea GM released a full sized rwd sedan with a V8 that wasn't a Caddy. It looks tight and if I was shopping it would go on the short list.

B: My area only has automatics in stock :argh:

My medium-large sized city has none of any kind in stock. I bet Durant left with our SS's.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Roadsterish cars?

The budget is roughly 30k.

Looking at Miata Club's (require a LSD for driving in winter) or maybe an older Z4. I'd actually prefer a hard top but tiny sportish cars tend to come without a roof.

I'd like something that doesn't break my wallet in maintenance. Looking for the elusive 'fun to drive'. Currently have a Focus ST but would like something more nimble.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a 2010 Lexus HS250h. It's a very nice Prius made by Lexus.

It's 6 years old now. How long should I expect the battery to last (which is actually less of a question), and when is the optimal time to dump this car and get something else - before new battery or after new battery?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

photomikey posted:

I have a 2010 Lexus HS250h. It's a very nice Prius made by Lexus.

It's 6 years old now. How long should I expect the battery to last (which is actually less of a question), and when is the optimal time to dump this car and get something else - before new battery or after new battery?

If it like the Prius battery somewhere around 300k mi or 10+ years.
Also, the battery replacements are cheaper than you think. If the battery dies, I'd replace it before selling, but I wouldn't replace the battery before selling unless it dies, if that is what you're asking.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

nm posted:

If it like the Prius battery somewhere around 300k mi or 10+ years.
Also, the battery replacements are cheaper than you think. If the battery dies, I'd replace it before selling, but I wouldn't replace the battery before selling unless it dies, if that is what you're asking.
In my anecdotal experience, Prius batteries start to degrade after 200k, some faster than others. You can get away by replacing sections, not entire thing. I've seen it done for under $800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FortifiedTumor posted:

Roadsterish cars?

The budget is roughly 30k.

Looking at Miata Club's (require a LSD for driving in winter) or maybe an older Z4. I'd actually prefer a hard top but tiny sportish cars tend to come without a roof.

I'd like something that doesn't break my wallet in maintenance. Looking for the elusive 'fun to drive'. Currently have a Focus ST but would like something more nimble.

You're in luck, a E89 Z4 is both under 30k these days and has a hard top! I would invest in a durable wallet.