Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zereth posted:

I really hope those gifs are zoomed in and you can see more of the area around you when actually playing. There's a bit in the first igf where an attack is started when the enemy it's aimed at is not visible.

The actual gameplay trailer shows that the actual view is zoomed out quite a bit from that, pretty sure they zoomed in the gifs to cut down on size and focus on the awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Mr Underhill posted:

I'm not really feeling Kologeon's graphics, but I too found out about it from Jim's good greenlight feature, so I hope that works out for them.

In the meantime, one game I'm pumped about will be hitting Kickstarter tomorrow, June 7th. Game's called Columnae, it's a Limbo-like (visually) steampunkish point and click. Cool use of god-rays throughout. Feels like a shadowpuppet/pop-up book/diorama combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFB2lWsati8

I played the demo for it and it looks great in motion, I don't think it's publicly available yet but I'm pretty sure it will be for the Kickstarter. The devs are Serbian, so I'm happy to see more Eastern Europeans having a go at this Kickstarter thing. Really looking forward to this one. And no verb coin, Zver!

It also has an interesting, if (at least for me) a bit confusing non-linear way to deal with branching:

If you're interested in reading more, here's their devlog.

If I understand correctly you can play it both chronologically or non-chronologically or some poo poo. Anyway, it tickles me the right way, and it's coming to Kickstarter tomorrow.

Kickstarter draft page is up, if anyone knowledgeable of campaigns in general feels like dropping some feedback, the devs would appreciate it.

Did I mention how pretty this game was?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Prey for the Gods is a game I've been following the development of for a while. They've finally launched their KS campaign and the game's looking great! Sort of a Shadow of the Colossus-like with more varied combat and exploration.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Prey for the Gods is a game I've been following the development of for a while. They've finally launched their KS campaign and the game's looking great! Sort of a Shadow of the Colossus-like with more varied combat and exploration.

Wow, this came a long way since the last time I saw it. I might back it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

On the topic of cool projects that look crazy, there's also Kologeon, a weirdass third person... combat... thing...

Mainly has a crazyass artstyle and animations:

:stare:

EDIT: Oh yeah and the music is rad as gently caress. Go back that poo poo so we can get it. 60 hours to go!

Somehow this is very pretty and a visual disaster at the same time.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Mr Underhill posted:

I played the demo for it and it looks great in motion, I don't think it's publicly available yet but I'm pretty sure it will be for the Kickstarter. The devs are Serbian, so I'm happy to see more Eastern Europeans having a go at this Kickstarter thing. Really looking forward to this one. And no verb coin, Zver!

I don't point-and-click, what's a verb coin and why is it bad?

Game looks pretty, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MarsDragon posted:

I don't point-and-click, what's a verb coin and why is it bad?

Game looks pretty, though.
It's an old school adventure game UI thing, where you are given a menu of options such as Talk/See/Taste/Lift. Most modern adventure games rightfully got rid of it for the sake of streamlining, they were usually always clunky as poo poo and unnecessary. Like nine times out of ten the character would just say some variant of "I can't do that." Most modern adventure games just have look and interact.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 7, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Somehow this is very pretty and a visual disaster at the same time.

When I saw it in motion I was 90% sure there was some sort of SuperHot body-swapping mechanic going on because all of the sprites are 90% hard black sillhouettes. It's an astounding mess, but I'm pretty sure that in play it would be far less so.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DatonKallandor posted:

It has the headache inducing perspective of Hyperlight Drifter that's already problematic in flat high speed combat, but with an added jump layer. It looks like a nightmare to actually play. Pretty though.

Yeah I'd love to watch someone else play it. Myself? Not so much. I learned that from the aforementioned game.

JordanKai posted:

This looks pretty cool AND playable.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 7, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha, one of their already sold-out reward tiers includes a GTX 1070. Pretty canny of them, considering Nvidia's new cards are in such short supply.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Did I mention how pretty this game was?

The Kickstarter has begun:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275603373/columnae-a-past-under-construction

There's an Early Bird tier and a demo. I've staked out the former and downloading the latter to see if I want to keep it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yup! Backed and feeling good about it, and the campaign seems to be off to a pretty good start.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I was gonna post about Prey for the Gods... backed it, plus the steampunk Noir. Lot of good Kickstarters all of a sudden. It's a good thing that more companies are making sizeable demo footage/actual demos to show the game off, now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

It's an old school adventure game UI thing, where you are given a menu of options such as Talk/See/Taste/Lift. Most modern adventure games rightfully got rid of it for the sake of streamlining, they were usually always clunky as poo poo and unnecessary. Like nine times out of ten the character would just say some variant of "I can't do that." Most modern adventure games just have look and interact.
The only time I remember it actually being a "yes, I like this" thing was the puzzle with the bartender at the very beginning of Full Throttle. Most of the rest of the game it was just "I can't do that".

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
"I'm not putting my lips on that."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wizard of Legend devs are doing a livestream in around an hour, check it out if you aren't already backing it.

https://twitter.com/contingent99/status/751219100957814784

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
System shock recently released a new patch that fixes some of the performance issues people had with the demo, makes grenades throwable amongst other things:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1623513

Makes the demo a lot more playable on my system, I can go fullscreen and everything. I'm not a big fan of the texture filtering that they added though, I liked the pixelated look.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

JordanKai posted:

This looks gorgeous and I've backed it but have they elaborated on the backer plus "Elite version of the Grappling Hook In-Game Item"? I can't watch the pitch vid with audio but that's gotta be cosmetic right? Locking gameplay upgrades behind a paywall aint right :confused:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mechanism Eight posted:

This looks gorgeous and I've backed it but have they elaborated on the backer plus "Elite version of the Grappling Hook In-Game Item"? I can't watch the pitch vid with audio but that's gotta be cosmetic right? Locking gameplay upgrades behind a paywall aint right :confused:

If it's functionally any different, I'd imagine they'll have some version of it that you can buy later as DLC, Backers would just get it for free.

Then again, this is Kickstarter and people do really stupid poo poo on there.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mechanism Eight posted:

They answer this in the FAQ at the bottom:

What are the Elite Items?

The Elite items are our way of saying thanks to those that have backed us before launch of the game. They will be a bit fancier visually, and most likely have a small bonus (ie: the pouch will have an extra slot) or the Grappling Hook will have a bit more durability. They will not make the game dramatically different or easier. There will be grappling hooks, and pouches in the game for any player to pick up and use. The Elite versions offer you something to show off to friends and a way for us to show our appreciation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
"Yo come over to my house I've got a sweet backer reward I want you to see, it's got slightly more durability!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EuroGamer put on its investigation hat and went looking into the Recreated ZX Spectrum Kickstarter, which is suffering from a bad case of the ripping-everyone-including-the-manufacturing-contractor-offs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I didn't even think that thing got funded... I remember loads of old Spectrum game IP holders coming out during the campaign to say "yo this dude's been selling our games on smartphones for years but we haven't seen a cent, gently caress him" and I assumed that'd be the end of it. How silly of me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So to the surprise of no one System Shock got funded with lots of time to spare. Anyone think they'll hit all of their tiers? Wonder what the later tiers are. It'd be loving HILARIOUS if the last tier was literally, "we'll make System Shock 2, too!" out of nowhere.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fuzz posted:

So to the surprise of no one System Shock got funded with lots of time to spare. Anyone think they'll hit all of their tiers? Wonder what the later tiers are. It'd be loving HILARIOUS if the last tier was literally, "we'll make System Shock 2, too!" out of nowhere.

I'm sure that's the next Kickstarter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Night Dive said they really want to do a proper sequel. At least I remember promotional material for a SS3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of glad it didn't completely explode since it seems like feature bloat has been such a drain on so many campaigns, unless you're willing to do the Shovel Knight approach and just outright not bother until years afterwards.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I think Night Dive said they really want to do a proper sequel. At least I remember promotional material for a SS3.

shock3 is being made by the Ultima Underworld people, some of whom are ex-Looking-Glass.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm sure that's the next Kickstarter.

Yeah, as above, the next KS would probably be a Shock 3, so SS2 being a stretch isn't actually a... stretch. :downsrim:

They'll have the engine and most of the weapons already done, as well as inventory and HUD and whatnot. They literally would only have to make models for all of The Many enemies and do the level architecture, that's it. They even already have Shodan's VA on payroll so they can have her record any extra lines they'd need. SS2 overall needs way less work than SS1 to modernize it, since it already had voice logs and the whole RPG system built in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The 'we'll add RPG elements!' stretch goal is basically them doing a lot of the SS2 engine work early.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just playing the SS1 remake demo was enough for me to throw money at the screen. (well to be honest I threw money at the screen first but then I upgraded to the tier that gets beta access because I want more).

I'll happily plonk down more cash for a SS2 or SS3. gently caress yeah.

Surprise twist: SS3 is a dating sim game where you play Shodan and romance a number of classic 80s computers in an attempt to find your true retro love.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

DancingShade posted:

Surprise twist: SS3 is a dating sim game where you play Shodan and romance a number of classic 80s computers in an attempt to find your true retro love.
The strangest path is the one where you romance a BBC Micro outfitted for Telesoftware and online banking with the Bank of Scotland.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The latest update for Wizard of Legend goes a little bit deeper into the ability progression of the enemies, which I think is a pretty neat feature. It also came with some links to a game called Buck - A 2D Post-Apocalyptic Noir Action-Adventure Game by Wave Interactive. They advertise it as a Metroidvania action-brawler with adventure game elements and customisable weapons.

Gameplay trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DWCXWcUehI

It's already in alpha on Steam, and they seem to be pretty good with engaging with the community. They're asking for money to expand the content and for polish before the release, as well as to port to mac and Xbox/PS4. They anticipate July 2017 will be the release. I'm in for a copy of the game, which is only $10. So far they're doing this in their spare time, and I honestly wonder if they're asking for enough, but I don't know how far off being properly finished they are. They're in New York City which isn't exactly the cheapest place to live. It's worth the speculation to me, so we'll see how they go.

Memento fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 13, 2016

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Pigsodus is a point and click adventure/rpg combo with skill progression and similar stuff, but really it's about this piggie and his chicken buddy who find out they're gonna get murdered, so they take their revenge on the humans. I'm not even into revenge stories that much, but this one I can get behind. Murder all humans 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omGu7rm9DAs

There's a DEMO.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I love coming into this thread and catching up on the idiocy that is kickstarter.

I HATE coming into this thread because you fuckers made me back Wizard of Legend, Ikenfell, and Prey for The Gods.... I had already thrown money at the SS remake.

My wallet :ohdear:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Robzilla posted:

I love coming into this thread and catching up on the idiocy that is kickstarter.

I HATE coming into this thread because you fuckers made me back Wizard of Legend, Ikenfell, and Prey for The Gods.... I had already thrown money at the SS remake.

My wallet :ohdear:

From atrocity tourist to atrocity migrant...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That pic game's animations on terrible, particularly considering you're looking at that pig the whole time.

Buck looks pretty cool, though the VA is terrible and I'm not seeing the Metroidvania aspect of it, just looks like Shank.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Poochy's back for an edgier generation

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just finished throwing money at the SS remaster campaign and it showed this one on the thank you screen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sdmv/3001sq-space-colonisation-with-programmable-spacec

Looks rather interesting so I gave them some sugar too.

But mostly, hurrah and oh my god System Shock remaster, yes yes! It's going to be a long wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Fuzz posted:

That pic game's animations on terrible, particularly considering you're looking at that pig the whole time.

Buck looks pretty cool, though the VA is terrible and I'm not seeing the Metroidvania aspect of it, just looks like Shank.

Yeah, I like the theme and the fact that it's (partially) a point and click, maybe they'll use the money to refine the visual aspect. Anyway, I'm past my monthly quota so I'm not backing it, just thought I'd link it up.

Happy to see Columnae is doing good, 10k raised out of 40 and 27 days left to go. It's not in the bag, but I think they'll make it. You can vote for it on Greenlight, God knows it deserves to be on Steam.