Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Last night I learned the Spark Fist isn't the MEC Kinetic Strike Module. It's much weaker and can miss (and is pretty inaccurate, hit chance was in the 70s). I should have taken Rainmaker.

I sold two advent datapads on my first run figuring intel wouldn't be that hard to come by. :v:

The Spark is such a wet fart compared to MECs. Strike also has a cooldown which makes it even more lame. Why did you make robot punching lame Jake, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

What I'd really like to see modded is some very classic alien mythology aliens.

Like gray aliens such as

I know those were supposed to be the Sectoids, but not really. Sectoids are "feral", basic, not THAT dangerous aliens in this game. I'd like them walking upright, teleporting and walking through walls, freezing loving time, mind controlling and causing mass hallucinations, you know, classic alien stuff from movies and abduction stories. I'd like them to be more terrifying them Ethereals and I'd like to encounter "leader grays", like the ones in the ending of "Close Encounters of the third Kind": tall, thin, horrible-looking nightmarish monstrosities that acted like an upgraded Ethereal (possibly with all your Psi Soldiers abilities plus the Grays' and acting 4 times per turn)

I'd love to be terrified of an alien like that, versatile, powerful and full of abilities that could catch you offguard. In a sense, if they froze time as an ability, reacting after each of your troops' turn would make a lot more sense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wuffles posted:

The Spark is such a wet fart compared to MECs. Strike also has a cooldown which makes it even more lame. Why did you make robot punching lame Jake, why?

I wonder if there are unique punchkill animations again to make up for it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if there are unique punchkill animations again to make up for it.

there are not

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Iron Rose posted:

there are not

gently caress

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Andre Banzai posted:

What I'd really like to see modded is some very classic alien mythology aliens.

Like gray aliens such as

I know those were supposed to be the Sectoids, but not really. Sectoids are "feral", basic, not THAT dangerous aliens in this game. I'd like them walking upright, teleporting and walking through walls, freezing loving time, mind controlling and causing mass hallucinations, you know, classic alien stuff from movies and abduction stories. I'd like them to be more terrifying them Ethereals and I'd like to encounter "leader grays", like the ones in the ending of "Close Encounters of the third Kind": tall, thin, horrible-looking nightmarish monstrosities that acted like an upgraded Ethereal (possibly with all your Psi Soldiers abilities plus the Grays' and acting 4 times per turn)

I'd love to be terrified of an alien like that, versatile, powerful and full of abilities that could catch you offguard. In a sense, if they froze time as an ability, reacting after each of your troops' turn would make a lot more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjhdoWKtXM

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

That's abolutely the best sequence in any alien movie ever, and yes I'm a huge fan of that movie, how did you know?

Bit offtopic here I know but one alien movie that I thought was really disturbing because it was so weird it was creepy, was "Communion": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9SI7WShfU

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 7, 2016

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This customizable ruler mod lets you have them skip non aggressive actions and/or set a random chance for them to ignore the action.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683977672

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wuffles posted:

There is no Strike cooldown though? Also move to strike gives it a way longer range than the MEC strike.

Also, it does 7/9/11 damage per tier which is p. Good. Also 100 base chance to hit modified by the opponent's dodge just like the sword.

People don't need to make up bad things about SPARKs. The punch is good!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

There is no Strike cooldown though? Also move to strike gives it a way longer range than the MEC strike.

Also, it does 7/9/11 damage per tier which is p. Good. Also 100 base chance to hit modified by the opponent's dodge just like the sword.

I didn't know that dodge visibly affected sword hitchances but not anything else's. That's weird. Especially since my blademaster had a 100 to hit the same thing (a viper).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Isn't the punch/sword hitchance is based on the base-hitchance? That is, low level SPARKs are basically rookies so they are going bad at aiming.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Andre Banzai posted:

That's abolutely the best sequence in any alien movie ever, and yes I'm a huge fan of that movie, how did you know?

Bit offtopic here I know but one alien movie that I thought was really disturbing because it was so weird it was creepy, was "Communion": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ9SI7WShfU

I can't take anything with Christopher Walken in it seriously, which I think reflects on his film roles the last few years.

Anyways, SPARK stuff:

This mod adds in customization options ported over from MEC troopers:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716906004
The art style is SLIGHTLY different so it might not look as good up-close.

This mod adds the Advent MEC weapons for SPARKs, at the same stats as relevant default weapons:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=716306080

This one straight-up adds the Advent MEC parts as customization options for your SPARKs:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715887476

This mod adds cobbled-together, junky, salvaged MECs with Resistance stylings for SPARK customization:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717375812

Finally, this one adds mod slots to SPARK weapons, though I have to point out that Mod Everything does as well, for... everything:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717783955

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know that dodge visibly affected sword hitchances but not anything else's. That's weird. Especially since my blademaster had a 100 to hit the same thing (a viper).

Sorry, I meant innate defense.

Remember Blademaster gives a buff to Sword to-hit chance now, and there are a ton of mods that jack it up further/have mods to increase hit chance so it might have been that?

Also its total bullshit that Mutons can counter SPARK punches :argh:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zore posted:

Uh, I'm gonna have to look again but I'm pretty certain there's a 3 turn cooldown on Strike. Its also odd to introduce Strike without an aim bonus in the same patch that they gave Blademaster +10 aim to the sword.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

wuffles posted:

Uh, I'm gonna have to look again but I'm pretty certain there's a 3 turn cooldown on Strike. Its also odd to introduce Strike without an aim bonus in the same patch that they gave Blademaster +10 aim to the sword.

I think there's some kind of mod conflict that removes the cooldown on Strike. I'm not complaining though, because it shouldn't have one to start with.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So one my phantom rangers had been concealed but got spotted and KO'd in the same turn. On the next turn I stabilized him but didn't revive him. However, the game decided he was active anyway, despite the fact that he was still lying on the ground. I thought, ok whatever, and decided to have him make a slash attack against the last Advent trooper in a nearby building, assuming it wouldn't work because he's actually still out cold. What happened next: his unconscious body flopped and ragdolled across the ground like some hideous manfish, sometimes warping in and out of existence, before disappearing entirely. Then the kill camera went completely haywire, zooming in and out of the terrain mesh, and preventing me from seeing anything, though I could hear the Advent guy's agonized screams. Then it returned to normal and I saw the Advent trooper was dead, with the ranger's body lying next to him in a collapsed heap.

I guess whatever happened at the end there was not meant for mortal eyes.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Colapops posted:

I can't take anything with Christopher Walken in it seriously, which I think reflects on his film roles the last few years.

Maybe read these reviews, if you like alien movies in general you should definitely give "Communion" a chance:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097100/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Can someone recommend some good mods? I've already beaten the game and I'm looking for some variety in enemies (I have spectrum enemies). Also class variety where the grenadier isn't just the most amazing thing ever. I've got long war toolbox for random stats and damage roulette. Anything else people recommend?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

Sorry, I meant innate defense.

Remember Blademaster gives a buff to Sword to-hit chance now, and there are a ton of mods that jack it up further/have mods to increase hit chance so it might have been that?

Also its total bullshit that Mutons can counter SPARK punches :argh:

Ah gotcha, it must be the blademaster buff overcoming it then. The only mod I have is the one that has blademaster give the axe the damage boost as well (makes sense to me, besides the other weapons can be upgraded).

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there any way I can skip Shen's mission and just get the reward from it

Because I've had it crap out on me a couple of times now because I had to re-enter a save on the second or third floor

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
After playing with them for a while SPARKs seem pretty underwhelming late game compared to a tooled out colonel in a WAR suit. Their accuracy and damage is pretty mediocre, and their skills are sort of a mixed bag of ok and useless. You have skills like Bulwark which are super cool up until the point that you run against enemies with grenades and it becomes unusable. Fist is good damage but has garbage accuracy and is broken in combination with bulwark. Bombard is a cool 'blow up anything' skill but does super piddly damage.

Not to mention they are actually pretty hard to keep alive because they don't have too much more health than a regular trooper and can't take cover, which is sort of baffling. The entire left hand side of the tree is based on being shot at, but they can still get crit (because they're out in the open) and go down in 2-3 shots like a regular trooper. That side of the tree is sort of useless in general a lot of the time because in xcom 2 you ideally shouldn't be getting shot at at all.

It's cool that you can send them on missions when they're damaged, so you basically always have them available. But they are also pretty expensive and gain xp, unlike SHIVs, so there is actually a lot of value lost if you lose them in combat (unlike a SHIV where you can just build a new one and it's already just as effective as the one you lost).

I think they really shine in midgame and can tank/put out some great damage at that point, when you're still on ballistic or mag weapons. But up at plasma they don't hold a candle to a tricked out colonel.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I was thinking about how to really ruin a ruler's day, and it got me thinking: What AWC skill + class would you want to have a soldier just utterly dominate a hard target like a ruler or something else with a bucket of hp? Assume a perfectly spherical class in a vacuum or whatever - any class with any bonus power: what would you pick?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Psion posted:

I was thinking about how to really ruin a ruler's day, and it got me thinking: What AWC skill + class would you want to have a soldier just utterly dominate a hard target like a ruler or something else with a bucket of hp? Assume a perfectly spherical class in a vacuum or whatever - any class with any bonus power: what would you pick?

Stacking a bunch of free actions would go a long ways. Lightning hands + throwing axe + smash from the berserker armor would get you about 20 damage without provoking a reaction turn.

Of course this isn't a valid combination of skills so...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

I haven't used one yet. It sounds like they could use more armor or a regenerating shield to compensate for inability to use cover.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Carecat posted:

I haven't used one yet. It sounds like they could use more armor or a regenerating shield to compensate for inability to use cover.

A fully upgraded SPARK with Bulwark already has 4 armor (6 with Sacrifice going). I haven't had too much trouble keeping them alive, but they definitely don't feel like they deserve the extended time it takes to repair them.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is there any way I can skip Shen's mission and just get the reward from it

Because I've had it crap out on me a couple of times now because I had to re-enter a save on the second or third floor

When you start a game, you can disable it. You'll still get the Spark as a proving grounds project, without having to do the tower.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

many johnnys posted:

When you start a game, you can disable it. You'll still get the Spark as a proving grounds project, without having to do the tower.

Yeah, so no free SPARK 001 but you can build them from the beginning.

Same goes for Rulers/Hunter Weapons if you disable The Nest. They show up but you have to build the basic Hunter weapons from the proving grounds.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

SlyFrog posted:

Wow people on Steam reviews really hate the Alien Hunters DLC. They also comparatively love Shen's Last Gift.

Is the first really so terrible, and the second so good?

(Trying to hold out for some type of discount in a sale, just curious.)

Alien Rulers looks really really bad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

many johnnys posted:

Thanks, I'm going to do that from now on. A shame, I find the mission fun when it's working.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm surprised no one's modded EU/EW units back into the game yet. I mean, maybe someone did a stat overhaul, but I'm talking models and everything.

If I could mod, I'd make:

Civilians are randomly Thin Men, with sweet new pistol perks
Drones, but Long War-y
Mechtoid Commanders, basically Andromedons -Acid +Psi
Seekers, but can teleport

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Dongicus posted:

Most gamers are really really bad.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Operant posted:

After playing with them for a while SPARKs seem pretty underwhelming late game compared to a tooled out colonel in a WAR suit. Their accuracy and damage is pretty mediocre, and their skills are sort of a mixed bag of ok and useless. You have skills like Bulwark which are super cool up until the point that you run against enemies with grenades and it becomes unusable. Fist is good damage but has garbage accuracy and is broken in combination with bulwark. Bombard is a cool 'blow up anything' skill but does super piddly damage.

Not to mention they are actually pretty hard to keep alive because they don't have too much more health than a regular trooper and can't take cover, which is sort of baffling. The entire left hand side of the tree is based on being shot at, but they can still get crit (because they're out in the open) and go down in 2-3 shots like a regular trooper. That side of the tree is sort of useless in general a lot of the time because in xcom 2 you ideally shouldn't be getting shot at at all.

It's cool that you can send them on missions when they're damaged, so you basically always have them available. But they are also pretty expensive and gain xp, unlike SHIVs, so there is actually a lot of value lost if you lose them in combat (unlike a SHIV where you can just build a new one and it's already just as effective as the one you lost).

I think they really shine in midgame and can tank/put out some great damage at that point, when you're still on ballistic or mag weapons. But up at plasma they don't hold a candle to a tricked out colonel.

I had to do a double take because for a second I thought this was a post I wrote. Though I think that even at mag weapons tier they're already looking a little weak.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I installed the ruler mod that unfucks their action economy, started a new game, and ended up with a very stunned Viper King courtesy of two rangers and Central. It was up at 7 turns of stunned when it finally croaked. Shouldn't have walked to Bradford little Viper or I wouldn't have thought of it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm having fun with this game when I can play it, but the constant crashes and geoscape that will not stop interrupting me gently caress I just want this goddamn supply drop is starting to get to me.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Drunk in Space posted:

So one my phantom rangers had been concealed but got spotted and KO'd in the same turn. On the next turn I stabilized him but didn't revive him. However, the game decided he was active anyway, despite the fact that he was still lying on the ground. I thought, ok whatever, and decided to have him make a slash attack against the last Advent trooper in a nearby building, assuming it wouldn't work because he's actually still out cold. What happened next: his unconscious body flopped and ragdolled across the ground like some hideous manfish, sometimes warping in and out of existence, before disappearing entirely. Then the kill camera went completely haywire, zooming in and out of the terrain mesh, and preventing me from seeing anything, though I could hear the Advent guy's agonized screams. Then it returned to normal and I saw the Advent trooper was dead, with the ranger's body lying next to him in a collapsed heap.

I've had this happen when stabilizing my Psi Ops soldier, consistently but only them. I figure it's my stabilize or bleed out mod not working well after the last dlc hit. Looks funny, but the dudes take 4x as long to move because of it.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

wuffles posted:

So I was wrong. Its a 4 turn cooldown. But don't mind me, I'm just making poo poo up about how lame Sparks are.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So I guess I hosed myself taking the Last Gift mission while still using gunpowder weapons and no armor? Got through it fine but I've really got no way to kill the loving sectopod.

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine

Drunk in Space posted:

Terror from the Deep sequel confirmed.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

natetimm posted:

So I guess I hosed myself taking the Last Gift mission while still using gunpowder weapons and no armor? Got through it fine but I've really got no way to kill the loving sectopod.

Any grenades left? Any grenadiers with Shred? I mean, you've still got Shen with her unlimited Combat Protocol, so it's just a matter of doing it. It doesn't hit as hard as a normal sectopod, and there's plenty of other mecs around to hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

wuffles posted:

So I was wrong. Its a 4 turn cooldown. But don't mind me, I'm just making poo poo up about how lame Sparks are.

It must be one of my mods loving with it then, thats super lame.

But I haven't subscribed to anything that should affect SPARKS so :psyduck:

Like, all their other abilities have regular cooldowns and no one else's are hosed up. I honestly thought Strike was just a good 0 cooldown move.